Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.

YNM

formerly yNot Mence
is a Tiering Contributor
In other news, Landorus-T wins court case against the UU Drop ladder percentage, comes out on top
Jokes aside, I've actually underestimated Lando's value in this meta and as it turns out it is still a decent mon. I've seent it quite a bit on high ladder, and it even got me to a new high of 1900 thanks to its key role as an Intimidate user and revenge-killer on my team (which is still a crazy good ability and really carries this mon). But idk, it may also be the widespread usage of Sneasler itself that really allows Landorus-T to shine, since it's one of the most reliable answer I've found to it. Whether it'll be less good or not with Sneasler gone from this meta, I don't think Lando's gonna drop anytime soon.

So who's next ? Gholdhengo, Iron Valliant or Iron Moth ? Maybe the OU tier would have balanced itself hadn't you banned 15+ mons.
I do not want OU to settle and "balance" around Palafin, Iron Bundle, Flutter Mane, Chi-Yu, Chien-Pao, Espathra, Annihilape, Firepon, or Bloodmoon, or any of the others I didn't mention. If you do, I think you are a very weird person.
By my estimates, we're already looking at 25 with the current on-table candidates (Sneasler, Kingambit, Gholdengo, Manaphy, Iron Valiant, and Ogerpon-W), not counting what DLC2 is going to add. (I am deeply afraid of the Tapus)
Manaphy and Valiant are probably not going, at least not before Indigo Disk drops. Everything else on there is just too high priority and more obviously destructive.

I do not want OU to settle and "balance" around Palafin, Iron Bundle, Flutter Mane, Chi-Yu, Chien-Pao, Espathra, Annihilape, Firepon, or Bloodmoon, or any of the others I didn't mention. If you do, I think you are a very weird person.
Sure, it's better to waste entire months trying to find a "balance" in a Metagame which by essence, due to Tera and powercreep, can never be. In a few weeks, you'll make the same post saying "I don't want OU to settle around Gholdengho or Iron Valliant", while you'd seen no issue with them whatsoever until the banning process. Retrospective illusion.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Jokes aside, I've actually underestimated Lando's value in this meta and as it turns out it is still a decent mon. I've seent it quite a bit on high ladder, and it even got me to a new high of 1900 thanks to its key role as an Intimidate user and revenge-killer on my team (which is still a crazy good ability and really carries this mon). But idk, it may also be the widespread usage of Sneasler itself that really allows Landorus-T to shine, since it's one of the most reliable answer I've found to it. Whether it'll be less good or not with Sneasler gone from this meta, I don't think Lando's gonna drop anytime soon.
People seem to have remembered that Lando can still function pretty well without Knock Off like in Gen 5. (Lando had Knock Off back then but iirc it wasn't a common pick.) Obviously misses the move, but it still has 145 Attack to smack bitches around and Intimidate + U-turn is pretty clutch.

Last edited:
Sure, it's better to waste entire months trying to find a "balance" in a Metagame which by essence, due to Tera and powercreep, can never be. In a few weeks, you'll make the same post saying "I don't want OU to settle around Gholdengho or Iron Valliant", while you'd seen no issue with them whatsoever until the banning process. Retrospective illusion.
Couple things with that.

Your first sentence is completely asinine. Wasting time trying to balance the metagame? What's the alternative here? Not banning problematic elements? Either you think things would be better if absolutely nothing was done and everyone just adapted, or you think it's a lost cause and nothing should be done because it's impossible to begin with, and I don't know which take I respect less.

I've made posts advocating for Gholdengo's ban for quite a while now. I've also never expressed any issue with Iron Valiant even when other people were. I also dislike Tera and would prefer it be banned or restricted. Please try to argue with me, not the version of me in your head that has all the weak contradictory opinions you can write off with dismissive remarks.

Very few of the bans we've had in OU would be any less problematic without Tera. At most, Volcarona, Regieleki, and arguably Espathra would be possible to drop to OU. I would love to see your explanation for how Chi-Yu or Bloodmoon or Palafin would be OU level if Tera were removed, especially since the loss of Tera means you can't use the mechanic defensively against them.

Maybe there is never going to 'balanced' metagame (a statement I disagree with, this meta is way better than say release SV, post-Home meta or meta immediately after DLC1), but we should at the very least try to make one. Also, mons do not look broken until they are tested and the metagame settles. Heck, Gen 8 Kyurem is banned, but at one point was RU (though not for long) because people were having to deal with stupid shit like Urshifu, magearna and libero cinderace, which were so much more broken.

There have, in fact, been 19 bans this gen. And of those, ELEVEN have been from Gen 9. That's more than half. That's an unprecedented thing. The power creep of this generation has been fucking unbelievable with signature moves and abilities becoming just ridiculously powerful, and anyone complaining about how many bans there have been should be considering themselves LUCKY that we don't have so many more. See you all when DLC2 drops and the new cute blorbo legend has a sig move that kills all six opponents with a chance to burn.

EDIT: Houndstone and Cyclizar count. So thirteen if you really think about it. Also, of the 6 non-Paldean bans, at least two are from a Gen 9 mechanic (Regieleki and Volcarona) and another is from Gen 9 Spikes Distribution, a monster in its own right.

Last edited:
Iron Valiant is a perfectly balanced mon. If you think it's a problem, it's probably a skill issue on your end. As whether it be physical, special, or mixed, there are splashable answers to all the sets even if there doesn't exist one counter to every Iron Valiant set in existence.

There have, in fact, been 19 bans this gen. And of those, ELEVEN have been from Gen 9. That's more than half. That's an unprecedented thing. The power creep of this generation has been fucking unbelievable with signature moves and abilities becoming just ridiculously powerful, and anyone complaining about how many bans there have been should be considering themselves LUCKY that we don't have so many more. See you all when DLC2 drops and the new cute blorbo legend has a sig move that kills all six opponents with a chance to burn.
Well, according to Khu's hints, Dokutaro's ability is basically Shadow Tag for poisoned opponents'.

Not 100% if that's true, but if it is.....oh dear.

Iron Valiant is a perfectly balanced mon. If you think it's a problem, it's probably a skill issue on your end. As whether it be physical, special, or mixed, there are splashable answers to all the sets even if there doesn't exist one counter to every Iron Valiant set in existence.
I think that is a bit of the problem. It's probably like 10th-15th on the ban list for me, but if you don't correctly guess the set, it's most likely going to sweep your team. Again, don't think it's a problem right now, but yeah, I can see why some see it as a problem.

By my estimates, we're already looking at 25 with the current on-table candidates (Sneasler, Kingambit, Gholdengo, Manaphy, Iron Valiant, and Ogerpon-W), not counting what DLC2 is going to add. (I am deeply afraid of the Tapus)
I'm getting way ahead of myself saying this, but I see a world in which Tapu Koko completely ruin OU. Pincurchin is trash, but Koko was already a very viable mon in previous gens. Good pivot, elec terrain to power itself and meme dreams, and then it just pushes every single Iron Moron to heights that will be just as heinous as Miraidon in ubers. Imagine Koko Volt Switching or U-Turning into Iron Valiant or Iron (Insert Whatever Iron Future mon you want). Again, that's way ahead of myself. But just bear in mind that whereas Ninetales and Torkoal have minor niche roles in OU as sun setters, Tapu Koko would see play without the irons, and it would completely push any and all Irons up to unbearable heights.

Also, yay!! No more Gliscor! Let's celebrate by uh... *checks notes* me going on a dumb tangent about Tapu Koko?? Okay, guess it's time for bed!

I'm getting way ahead of myself saying this, but I see a world in which Tapu Koko completely ruin OU. Pincurchin is trash, but Koko was already a very viable mon in previous gens. Good pivot, elec terrain to power itself and meme dreams, and then it just pushes every single Iron Moron to heights that will be just as heinous as Miraidon in ubers. Imagine Koko Volt Switching or U-Turning into Iron Valiant or Iron (Insert Whatever Iron Future mon you want).
Rillaboom here to save the meta by giving Koko the Rillabusiness and making it fight tooth and nail for its terrain.

Really though, a viable Electric Terrain setter would do a lot. Moth and Jugulis would be able to do a lot if they could hold other items. Hell, Jugulis would probably end up being similar to Walking Wake, holding a Choice item while getting a Quark Drive boost to pair with it and just spamming STAB with impunity.

So, I've compiled a list of bans each generation starting from Gen 4 to see if powercreep is insane this generation. (I'm only counting pokemon bans, so not stuff like king's rock or swift swim + drizzle)
Gen 4 - 6 (7 if you count Latias, who was unbanned)
Deoxys-Defense
Deoxys-Speed (Yep, both these forms were OU for a time)
Garchomp
Salamence
Shaymin-Sky
Wobbuffet
Wynaut
(Honourary mention of Latias)
Gen 5 - 9 (10 if you count Excadrill, which was unbanned, but couldn't run Sand rush in sand)
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys-Defense
Deoxys-Speed
Genesect
Landorus-Incarnate
Shaymin-Sky
Thundurus-Incarnate
Tornadus-Therian
Excadrill (Temporary)
Gen 6 - 11
Aegislash
Deoxys
Deoxys-Defense
Genesect
Greninja
Kangaskhan-Mega
Landorus-Incarnate
Lucario-Mega
Mawile-Mega
Sableye-Mega
Salamence-Mega
Gen 7 - 7
Aegislash
Genesect
Landorus-Incarnate
Metagross-Mega
Naganadel
Pheromosa
Zygarde
Gen 8 - 10
Cinderace
Darmanitan-Galar
Dracovish
Genesect (How the fuck does this keep getting into OU)
Kyurem
Kyurem-Black
Naganadel
Pheromosa
Spectrier
Urshifu
Gen 9 - 17 (18 if you count Chien-Pao twice or 19 if you count Cyclizar and Houndstone bans)
Annhilape
Baxcalibur
Chien-Pao (Twice lol)
Chi-Yu
Esparthra
Flutter Mane
Gliscor (Yay)
Iron Bundle
Magearna
Ogerpon-Hearthflame
Palafin
Regieleki
Roaring Moon
Ursaluna-Bloodmoon
Urshifu-Rapid Strike
Volcarona
Zamazenta Crowned
So honestly, this meta is kinda crazy, and we haven't even finished the metagame. The main standout I see here is Gen 7, which is the second least bans in a generation.
Anyway, tell me if there is bans I missed, this took a solid 30 minutes of looking through showdown lists. It was excruciating.

Last edited:
That list is definitely missing stuff in Gen 5 like the complex ban of Drizzle + Swift Swim and also the banning of Moody, as well as bans that happened later on like Chlorophyll, Gems, Kings Rock, and Sleep as a whole. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if i've missed a couple of things as well. I know that you were only counting the Pokemon bans, but that feels incomplete to me, especially when talking about the amount of bans in Gen 5

Last edited:
Wow... Congratulations to everyone who voted ban in the suspect, you've got your wish for a format: a HO hellhole. The kneejerk reaction to one single game was absolutely hilarious to watch, but the fallout will be rough. Might as well drop the format for a month while OU implodes on itself, around Gholdengo, Kingambit and Valiant...

(a statement I disagree with, this meta is way better than say release SV, post-Home meta or meta immediately after DLC1),
Pre and post home ou may have been borderline hellish with all the beasts gamefreak introduced, but they’re peaceful compared to now, we still got a whole bunch of issues to deal with
Wow... Congratulations to everyone who voted ban in the suspect, you've got your wish for a format: a HO hellhole. The kneejerk reaction to one single game was absolutely hilarious to watch, but the fallout will be rough. Might as well drop the format for a month while OU implodes on itself, around Gholdengo, Kingambit and Valiant...
im sorry, what? gliscor was a staple on hazard stack, which completely neuters stall especially since most run ogerpon wellcringe and messes with semi stall and balance, so nah, sad to see a defensive pokemon get banned though, even if it was warranted

That list is definitely missing stuff in Gen 5 like the complex ban of Drizzle + Swift Swim and also the banning of Moody, as well as bans that happened later on like Chlorophyll, Gems, Kings Rock, and Sleep as a whole. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if i've missed a couple of things as well
Yeah, probably should have put a warning about that, which I'll do right now. The thing is, it's a bit difficult to know what is banned when. Do you count the Arena trap + Shadow tag ban for example? I don't know what mechanics or items were banned too well, but you do make a good point. I was thinking of removing things if it wasn't their first generation they were banned, but decided against it because it increases the amount of mons, and some take a while to get banned, like Landorus-Incarnate or Genesect.

Gholdengo and Kingambit are definetly going to be looked at. Honestly, every playstyle benefitted from Gliscor, so no HO is not going to dominate the metagame. Just chill, the metagame ain't going to go to shit now.

So, I've compiled a list of bans each generation starting from Gen 4 to see if powercreep is insane this generation. (I'm only counting pokemon bans, so not stuff like king's rock or swift swim + drizzle)
Gen 4 - 6 (7 if you count Latias, who was unbanned)
Deoxys-Defense
Deoxys-Speed (Yep, both these forms were OU for a time)
Garchomp
Salamence
Shaymin-Sky
Wobbuffet
Wynaut
(Honourary mention of Latias)
Gen 5 - 9 (10 if you count Excadrill, which was unbanned, but couldn't run Sand rush in sand)
Blaziken
Darkrai
Deoxys-Defense
Deoxys-Speed
Genesect
Landorus-Incarnate
Shaymin-Sky
Thundurus-Incarnate
Tornadus-Therian
Excadrill (Temporary)
Gen 6 - 11
Aegislash
Deoxys
Deoxys-Defense
Genesect
Greninja
Kangaskhan-Mega
Landorus-Incarnate
Lucario-Mega
Mawile-Mega
Sableye-Mega
Salamence-Mega
Gen 7 - 7
Aegislash
Genesect
Landorus-Incarnate
Metagross-Mega
Naganadel
Pheromosa
Zygarde
Gen 8 - 10
Cinderace
Darmanitan-Galar
Dracovish
Genesect (How the fuck does this keep getting into OU)
Kyurem
Kyurem-Black
Naganadel
Pheromosa
Spectrier
Urshifu
Gen 9 - 16 (17 if you count Chien-Pao twice or 18 if you count Cyclizar and Houndstone bans)
Annhilape
Baxcalibur
Chien-Pao (Twice lol)
Chi-Yu
Esparthra
Flutter Mane
Gliscor (Yay)
Iron Bundle
Magearna
Ogerpon-Hearthflame
Palafin
Regieleki
Roaring Moon
Ursaluna-Bloodmoon
Urshifu-Rapid Strike
Zamazenta Crowned
So honestly, this meta is kinda crazy, and we haven't even finished the metagame. The main standout I see here is Gen 7, which is the second least bans in a generation.
Anyway, tell me if there is bans I missed, this took a solid 30 minutes of looking through showdown lists. It was excruciating.
You forgot Volcarona, hence me saying we've gotten to 19 thus far.

…huh. i just realized i've never played a competitive match on cartridge and i didn't run tera blast on anything on my in-game team, so i actually have no idea when, or if, tera blast changes its effectiveness display
Tera Blast changes its effectiveness display and type icon as soon as you hit the Terastallize! button, you dont need to Terastallize the pokemon for it to change

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 16)