Metagame SV OU Metagame Discussion v3

Status
Not open for further replies.
hm, Gliscor got banned. Neat.

Great Tusk still better, Lando-T fans keep coping (he won't drop to UU, hopefully)

For real though, how do y'all think the ban will shake up the meta? What gets worse? What gets better?
I can see a few things possibly happening in the immediate coming weeks -
  • Ice-type coverage is about to be drastically reduced, which can be taken advantage of in the team builder (Ninetales-A Screens Teams might become more common as a surprising result, actually)
  • Sneasler, Great Tusk, Ting-Lu, and a few other Pokemon are going to be even more frequent team staples with more standardized sets.
  • Gholdengo about to be wildin'
  • There's a slight possibility that Garganacl might rise back up to OU proper, and Heatran has a chance to fall back down to UU.
  • Manaphy about to be wildin'
  • Landorus-T might see an initial play increase, but will fade out somewhat quickly when people go back to using Tusk (I still think Landot will eventually fall to UU given enough time)
Those are just my predictions given the limited information we have right now

“Unfortunate” doesn’t begin to describe this tiering history, this game rewards HO and nothing else, I am beyond convinced at this point. After getting completely tooled by surveys with Gliscor ranking higher than Gholdengo, losing it this way somehow felt even worse than I had thought possible. My reqs were superior, my votes were superior, and I lost, so I don’t see a reason to continue engaging in an activity where what is within my control is overwhelmingly outweighed by what is not. I am done with competitive Pokemon, and you won’t get a fond farewell. This community is infected to its roots with a degenerative disease that grows stronger over time but stops short of killing its host. OU used to have a competitive spirit at its heart, this has been transplanted and replaced with an artificial organ that feeds on vitriol and mockery from insecure little boys that heckle by the sidelines and tear each other to shreds over scraps of attention. The environment we fostered has trapped us all like this in a vicious cycle, and escaping it requires acceptance of the harshest reality we all scramble to explain away, that none of the countless straining efforts we put ourselves through here will ever amount to one single shining glimmer of significance. I would make this the end, but Gholdengo suspect is still upcoming, and I would never leave so many great friends out to dry, so I’ll suffer through a few more games for them.

Landorus is kinda outclassed by Tusks though. Yeah it is viable specially now but still... Hard to compete with mega donphan.
No it's not? Tusk has utility LandoT doesn't, but beyond that LandoT has far better defensive utility with the typing and intimidate. There's a reason lando was solidly A rank at the end of Home meta and comfortably enjoying a lot of usage.

No it's not? Tusk has utility LandoT doesn't, but beyond that LandoT has far better defensive utility with the typing and intimidate. There's a reason lando was solidly A rank at the end of Home meta and comfortably enjoying a lot of usage.
that's true, but lando-t still has waterpon, manaphy, and atales to deal with now, and nearly two months of everyone having to build their teams around an omnipresent physically defensive ground/flying mon will likely have some lingering effects on his viability. plus, the increasing popularity of grassy terrain means that his only good stab has now become a lot less good, and it also means that tusk will still want to carry ice spinner more often than it did previously because ice spinner is the single best direct counterplay to terrain teams, so that's another thing lando has to worry about

Last edited:
“Unfortunate” doesn’t begin to describe this tiering history, this game rewards HO and nothing else, I am beyond convinced at this point. After getting completely tooled by surveys with Gliscor ranking higher than Gholdengo, losing it this way somehow felt even worse than I had thought possible. My reqs were superior, my votes were superior, and I lost, so I don’t see a reason to continue engaging in an activity where what is within my control is overwhelmingly outweighed by what is not. I am done with competitive Pokemon, and you won’t get a fond farewell. This community is infected to its roots with a degenerative disease that grows stronger over time but stops short of killing its host. OU used to have a competitive spirit at its heart, this has been transplanted and replaced with an artificial organ that feeds on vitriol and mockery from insecure little boys that heckle by the sidelines and tear each other to shreds over scraps of attention. The environment we fostered has trapped us all like this in a vicious cycle, and escaping it requires acceptance of the harshest reality we all scramble to explain away, that none of the countless straining efforts we put ourselves through here will ever amount to one single shining glimmer of significance. I would make this the end, but Gholdengo suspect is still upcoming, and I would never leave so many great friends out to dry, so I’ll suffer through a few more games for them.
I see this and I just think of Lavos' ragequit after getting flinched constantly. They even both start with 'unfortunate'. Like chill bro, it was a democratic vote and if you can't deal with the fact that the community disagreed with you, I kinda don't want you to be in the community. At least you have enough respect to not ditch us immediately.

I see this and I just think of Lavos' ragequit after getting flinched constantly. They even both start with 'unfortunate'. Like chill bro, it was a democratic vote and if you can't deal with the fact that the community disagreed with you, I kinda don't want you to be in the community. At least you have enough respect to not ditch us immediately.
Careful, you're dangerously on the verge of getting the joke.
that's true, but lando-t still has waterpon, manaphy, and atales to deal with now, and nearly two months of everyone having to build their teams around an omnipresent physically defensive ground/flying mon will likely have some lingering effects on his viability. plus, the increasing popularity of grassy terrain means that his only good stab has now become a lot less good
Also this. Lando is, for many reasons, not going to replace Gliscor. It can't hope to match its sets, and it's in a meta that's a lot less kind to it.

Good riddance. Gliscor was a tool. Will not be missed.

Next up, let’s get rid of Ter——err…. Ogerpon-W.
I want this thing gone as much as anybody else, but Ogerpon-Wellspring just doesn't have the support for a ban right now. Realistically, the next ban or 2 if there are any before DLC 2 will be Gholdengo and/or Sneasler.

Careful, you're dangerously on the verge of getting the joke.

Also this. Lando is, for many reasons, not going to replace Gliscor. It can't hope to match its sets, and it's in a meta that's a lot less kind to it.
Wait that was a joke, no way. I wouldn't know that. :bellipog:I honestly was saying that partly because the vote was close, 66% in fact, and I know that somebody is genuinely pissed. Maybe I should add more capitalisation next time ....

I want this thing gone as much as anybody else, but Ogerpon-Wellspring just doesn't have the support for a ban right now. Realistically, the next ban or 2 if there are any before DLC 2 will be Gholdengo and/or Sneasler.
Did Sneasler really have higher marks than Ogerpon-W? Whats with the big Sneasler push all of a sudden?

I’m pro Gholdengo. Do not want to see that mom go. It’s one of the few viable steel types. If we ban Gholdengo and Kingcheap, what will be left?

Did Sneasler really have higher marks than Ogerpon-W? Whats with the big Sneasler push all of a sudden?

I’m pro Gholdengo. Do not want to see that mom go. It’s one of the few viable steel types. If we ban Gholdengo and Kingcheap, what will be left?
You, I'll still have you RaikouLover

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)