Creative / Underrated Sets in the UU Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I don't have replays for this, but physical Kingdra does a swell job of messing with opponents. Although the physical movepool is pretty shallow for the king, he/she gets dragon dance as a move and swift swim for an ability, which are both excellent for offense uses.

(Last time I checked, Kingdra was UU, I'm not sure if that's changed or not.)
DD Kingdra is OK (and for some reason I ran into nothing but DD Kingdra for several games in a row today) but I think Kingdra as a whole has really fallen from UU glory (even tho it's still UU). Last gen it at least didn't have to contend with any other Pokemon in UU besides SCRAFTY of all things as a DD user, it could run multiple sets effectively capitalizing on either offense, and there weren't all these Fairies ruining its day (Encore Whimsicott particularly puts Kingdra in a coffin).

But I mean regarding DD Kingdra, what's it bring to the table that lets it shine over Salamence? Or even Haxorus for that matter? I think the significant increase of bulk in this tier really put a damper (No pun intended cuz it gets Damp as an ability ha ha ha ha ha kneeslap) on its ability to perform. And that's not even factoring the power creep in this tier with better Dragon-types to serve the same purpose and do more damage to things. And I know this is the "Creative/Underrated sets" thread but what is Kingdra bringing to the table?

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Instant speed boost under rain without being locked into a move. Rain also boosts waterfall, which gets STAB. Consider this can also be boosted by DD, if Kingdra can manage to force a switch.
The problem is that Mega Swampert is a much better Swift Swimmer than Kingdra even with its decent neutral coverage as Mega Swampert has bulk, power, and has better supereffective coverage. This means Mega Swampert overall has a better time handling UU as is than Kingdra.

The problem is that Mega Swampert is a much better Swift Swimmer than Kingdra even with its decent neutral coverage as Mega Swampert has bulk, power, and has better supereffective coverage. This means Mega Swampert overall has a better time handling UU as is than Kingdra.
I can testified to this because Ive been using mega pert for my last 100 battles. Physical ground moves are actually really good right now. Waterfall can flinch and is really powerful in rain. Ice punch hit hydregion and a few other grass types. I swept a team of six yesterday after weakening suicune. Its a lot better than Kingdra because it has stab eq, has more attack power, blocks volt switch, and can be effective without the rain. If fact I would consider Kingdra going down to d rank. All its sets are outclassed barring special rain which can be combatted with the popular florges.

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I can testified to this because Ive been using mega pert for my last 100 battles. Physical ground moves are actually really good right now. Waterfall can flinch and is really powerful in rain. Ice punch hit hydregion and a few other grass types. I swept a team of six yesterday after weakening suicune. Its a lot better than Kingdra because it has stab eq, has more attack power, blocks volt switch, and can be effective without the rain. If fact I would consider Kingdra going down to d rank. All its sets are outclassed barring special rain which can be combatted with the popular florges.
Just a reminder but this isn't the viability rankings lol.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Another thing is with Kingdra is the fact that it has suffered the same thing as what happened to Scrafty this gen with the power and speed creep really affecting it (tbh I am surprised Kingdra stayed UU "relevant" for so long but w/e).

Another thing is with Kingdra is the fact that it has suffered the same thing as what happened to Scrafty this gen with the power and speed creep really affecting it (tbh I am surprised Kingdra stayed UU "relevant" for so long but w/e).
The focus energy set is probably what keeps it UU right now. With the ability sniper, a scope lens, and the move focus energy, Kingdra hits a guaranteed crit status, allowing it to spam boosted draco meteor without being affected by the drop.

I didn't realize mega Swampert was UU. In this case, I can say for sure that physical Kingdra is outclassed.

I gave physical Nidoking a try on Showdown. In OU, that is. I was immensely joyous when an opponent kept their Sylveon in after a they got a CM boost, expecting sludge wave, just to get OHKO'd by poison jab. Sucker punch also OHKO's Latios, and it's hilarious how nobody anticipates it coming.

Nidoking really needs a better physical movepool, though. The elemental punches threaten the same things that bolt/beam/thrower normally threaten, so there wasn't a noticeable difference there. Earthquake deals significantly less damage than earth power, and I'm about to run calcs to see if bulldoze (oh god, why bulldoze?) deals better damage.

Edit: nope, bulldoze deals less damage than EQ, even with the boost.

Last edited:

Kreme

You might be right but you're not correct.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I gave physical Nidoking a try on Showdown. In OU, that is. I was immensely joyous when an opponent kept their Sylveon in after a they got a CM boost, expecting sludge wave, just to get OHKO'd by poison jab. Sucker punch also OHKO's Latios, and it's hilarious how nobody anticipates it coming.

Nidoking really needs a better physical movepool, though. The elemental punches threaten the same things that bolt/beam/thrower normally threaten, so there wasn't a noticeable difference there. Earthquake deals significantly less damage than earth power, and I'm about to run calcs to see if bulldoze (oh god, why bulldoze?) deals better damage.

Edit: nope, bulldoze deals less damage than EQ, even with the boost.
Just wondering, what is the relevance to this thread though, as you said you tested it in OU and not UU lol. Also I'm pretty sure physical walls deal with Nidoking's physical set better than Special Walls deal with the special set, which is the main reason (I think) it's used more.

Just wondering, what is the relevance to this thread though, as you said you tested it in OU and not UU lol. Also I'm pretty sure physical walls deal with Nidoking's physical set better than Special Walls deal with the special set, which is the main reason (I think) it's used more.
The test was just to have a little fun messing with people. But by comparison, fairies still get wrecked (the majority of fairies seem to have a lower defense stat), and fast psychics trying to revenge kill get a punch to the face instead. Priority on Nidoking is a godsend.

Imagine someone switches in an AV Slowking expecting a special moveset, just to take a thunder punch to the face. I think it'd also be something to hit a Goodra switch-in with ice punch. The King is pretty versatile.

Last edited:

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
So here's a nice Umbreon set I've been experimenting with for a few days. It isn't the BEST, but it's got a few good qualities that make it an unexpected qwip on the ladder. Life Orb Allows Umbreon to deal massive damage without the lock, giving it the use of Moonlight

LO Umbreon

Umbreon @ Life Orb
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 196 HP / 60 Def / 252 SpA
Bold Nature/Modest
- Dark Pulse
- Psychic
- Work Up
- Moonlight
I got tired of seeing the same support Umbreon being ran so I figured I would go check out A more aggressive. Synchronize helps Umbreon set up, not in the same capacity as it's sister Espeon, but it's still got the potential to be able to Work Up Once and soften up walls rather well. I've been experimenting a bit with this and it's biggest perk is the surprise factor. People see Umbreon and expect support/cleric work, so the element of surprise will usually work in your favor and allow you to work up. I can't see this set really becoming the BEST next Creative set in UU, it's not even THAT great tbh, it's just unique and it works pretty well. It can OHKO/2HKO Cress fairly easily and Moonlight gives is a lot of sustainable profit. The biggest Flaw to umbreon is it's speed and somewhat inability to sweep. A lot of Umbreons checks are fast fighting types and Umbreon can't do much against Florges.

Essentially, I can see this being a nice set to use for fun. Maybe if you need some sort of last minute Sp.Atker? Sadly I don't have any replays saved, I'll post some in a little bit and edit them in. Damage Calcs will show that with work up This can be a pretty nice Loadout for Umbreon.

+2 252 SpA Umbreon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cresselia: 254-302 (57.2 - 68%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ SpA Umbreon Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Cresselia: 278-330 (62.6 - 74.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ SpA Umbreon Psychic vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 316-372 (84.7 - 99.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Umbreon Psychic vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 158-188 (42.3 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

+1 252+ SpA Umbreon Psychic vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 238-280 (63.8 - 75%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery

252+ SpA Umbreon Psychic vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Toxicroak: 372-440 (121.1 - 143.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Just some Calcs to show how it handles with/without Work Up. Modest Nature also gives it a bit more power if you're looking to go for as much damage with Specs.

Last edited:
The replays I have for that set are in the form of in-game battle replays. Since I cannot share those now that gen 5 is cut off from online use, I'll go ahead and delete my post.

Here's a set I've run on cart to good effect and I've taken to using on the ladder:

Donphan @ Liechi Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Ice Shard
- Earthquake
- Endeavor

EV's are max attack and enough speed to get past uninvested Base Speed 75's with the rest in HP for additional bulk.
Play Rough hits Dark, Dragon and Fighting Types hard and a lot of people on the ladder don't expect it as the standard sets don't run it at all but I find that it's a great coverage move.

Earthquake is reliable STAB and hits everything bar flying and levitators for nice damage coming off his 120 Base Attack.

Endeavor + Ice Shard is great when you find yourself in a situation where you've no good switches to tank a hit and you know Sturdy is going to be activated by whatever is incoming and can let you take a dangerous pokemon that's set up out fast.

I hope someone can have as much fun as me using this set as Donphan's one of my favorite mons and I love using him :)

Reactions: bsu

OLD GREGG (im back baby)

old gregg for life
This is a set I've been experimenting with on ladder.

This sets allows Goodra to make full use of its massive offensive move pool while getting the jump on everything that is below positive nature max speed 130. It shits on all Grass types and Outrage hits pretty hard at +1. I use a -Defense nature because I use it to take on special attackers. A speed+ nature could be used to out speed positive max 130s.

The coverage I run is just a set that is beneficial to my team but this is one Dragon that is seriously under rated in the offensive department with gems such as:
Aqua Tail, Earthquake, Iron Tail, Thunderbolt, Rock Slide, Sludge Bomb, Superpower, etc...
Good mixed attacking stats and just enough speed to be eligible for a Scarf set with enough coverage options to do just about whatever your team might need it to do. Goodra gets a lot of credit for being a bulky attacker, but it can also function as a decent revenge killer with a scarf and the appropriate move...

What sets Goodra apart from other Scarf abusers is its coverage. It faces stiff competition from Mence and Shao who both have higher speed and also good mixed attacking stats, but neither has the options that Goodra possesses. Also neither has special bulk anywhere close to Goodra and unlike Hydrei we don't have to worry about any 4x Fairy weakness and also have more options offensively.

Goodra @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 8 HP / 208 Atk / 40 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Ice Beam
- Fire Blast
- Outrage
- Power Whip

Replays:
Cleaning up late game.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-229036389

Things get ugly around the 30th turn... Goodra scores a very important K.O. late game to seal the match.
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-229041684

Last edited:

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 56 Atk / 252 SpA / 200 Spe
Naive Nature
- Relic Song
- Close Combat
- Psychic
- Energy Ball

Assault Vest Meloetta is a very flexible and unique mon. Her outstanding Sp.Bulk allows her to take hits, while dealing out massive late game damage with the lovely help of STAB Bonus and a High Sp.Atk. My focus with this set was to aim for those Late game survivors, mons like Nido, Suicune, Crobat, ect. She is an unexpected late game threat and her anti meta set here can catch a lot of switch ins, giving her the power to clean up once she's set her mark.
Calcs
252 SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 350-414 (93.8 - 110.9%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Meloetta Energy Ball vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Suicune: 172-204 (42.5 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Meloetta Psychic vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Nidoking: 410-486 (135.3 - 160.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
-1 56 Atk Meloetta-P Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Krookodile: 186-222 (47.3 - 56.4%) -- 25% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

306Aggron-Mega.png

Aggron @ Aggronite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Curse
- Heavy Slam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Standard mono-attacker set. Curse until Aggron is low on health, then use rest. Heavy Slam is chosen because of how heavy Mega Aggron is, STAB, and it is boosted by Curse.

Last edited:

Lucipurrr

Banned deucer.
I'm pretty sure I've seen that Aggron before, it's pretty solid but Curselax is a bit more useful as a curse user.

Okay, so I've been working on something that is a bit gimmicky, but just might work.

Heracross
Ability: Guts
EVs: 140 HP / 252 Atk / 108 SpD / 8 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge

Wouldn't be surprised if somebody already tried to come up with sub-punch hera, but I'm pretty sure I'm the first to post it. Now, to explain the evs...maximum attack and adamant nature lets focus punch hit as hard as possible, the hp and sp. def was for the sub hera makes to survive just about any bulky water types scald barring megastoises. the rest was put into speed so hera could outspeed cune. I didn't put down an item because there are a few choices. Generally the toxic or flame orb would be the item of choice, as it activates guts and gives hera that extra oomph in his stride. Leftovers could be used for longevity, though it does miss the power boost, so I suppose it's a matter of preference. Otherwise, the set is pretty standard for a sub-punch set. sub + punch to complete the name. megahorn for a secondary strong STAB move, and stone edge to hit crobat on an expected switch. Haven't tested it out too much, but I'd gladly post a few replays if you want when I get the chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)