Other Shiny new toys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nidoking is not making OU any time soon-- it's too frail, too slow, and too many exploitable weaknesses. The slight bump to its ATK will keep people on their toes though, and Poison Jab could see new use with all the fairies running around.

For the most part, overall people are right that a 10 point boost to ATK isn't going to stop Special Nido from being almost completely better.
I'm really hoping that one ends up proving to be equal in terms of damage output that Nidoking had in Gen 5. I don't care if its physical or special, as long as its a set that does comparable damage. Nidoking, surprisingly catches people unawares, so long as one isn't stupid enough to run it against something obviously faster.

I know I've had good experience running Nidoking as a fast special sweeper. I've gotten the drop on many dragons and heatrans with him and I'm hoping to continue using him in Gen 6

Oddly enough, given Dark's new weakness to Fairy, a fun winner in this generation is Mandibuzz. Her solid 110/105/95 defenses made her a nice threat in lower tiers, but now her Ghost-resistance actually matters, given Steel's nerf. Moreover, the legendary Ghost/Fighting method of perfect coverage (when are we getting a Normal/Ghost already?) only hits neutral at best.

But wait, there's more. Suddenly Overcoat means Mandibuzz fears no powders, which combined with her Flying resistances turns her into a fantastic stop against Grass-types. Defog not only helps her Stealth Rock weakness, but she can actually use it herself if need be. Speaking of movepool, Knock Off's damage buff doesn't hurt, and she can still use STAB Foul Play to make up for her lousy offenses, stop setup with Taunt, phaze with Whirlwind, trap with Mean Look, pivot with U-turn, wither with Toxic and, of course, heal with Roost.

Last edited:
Shuckle gets sticky web, NU and possibly Doubles will tremble in fear. Heres the set I've been running for gen V, but changed to accommodate sticky web:

Shuckle @ leftovers
Contrary
max investment in def and spdef
Sticky Web
Stealth Rock
Encore/toxic
Knock off

It's the bulkiest, slowest, most anti-meta lead around... Shuckle. Everyone in the entire tier (almost) goes for rocks or a boosting move first turn. So, use encore combined with pitiful speed to force a switch or force the enemy to continue boosting. Then, you can set up how you like with sticky web, stealth rock, and toxic or knock off. Contrary protects against any opposing sticky webs, and parting shot or bulldoze or whatever. the only thing that shuts this guy down is taunt and ground types. In doubles, it pairs perfectly with jellicent which has powerful water STAB and can run taunt and trick room, covering all of the shuckster's weaknesses. In NU, imposter choice scarf ditto pairs nicely as you can copy the boosts from an encored enemy.

You all die.

Why Contrary
Its not gaining anything from it, Sturdy is better imo
Shell Smash could be run with a Contrary ability to buff defenses, but that's sort of gimmicky, and setting up hazards would be time better spent (especially since his set doesn't have Shell Smash).

On a side note, Shuckle has Infestation to trap and wear down opponents. Only problem is, he's so slow that the opponent could easily switch to a counter, and then you've just trapped a counter against yourself. Derp.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Shuckle @ leftovers
Contrary
max investment in def and spdef
Sticky Web
Stealth Rock
Encore/toxic
Knock off
This set would be good for singles, since it covers both SR and SW, something only it can do apart from Smeargle. I personally wouldn't suggest Encore since it's so slow, where even if you force a switch, you essentially wasted a turn yourself (AND a slot) to use that move, so Toxic is better for at least some passive damage. Knock Off won't be much threatening even when Taunted but it still lets Shuckle serve a supportive role. In Doubles, pretty much all moves except Sticky Web can be up for discussion, as speed control is WAY more important than hazards. It has Helping Hand, Guard/Power Split, Protect and the like as other options, so as I said, your set is more appropriate for Singles than Doubles.

And yeah, Contrary is highly situational and won't help you much since Shuckle is mad slow even at +1 while the opponent is -1, so even though it shouldn't go down in one hit, Sturdy is always a failsafe alternative.

Smeargle w/ Focus Sash
Jolly/Timid Nature
Own Tempo (Moody is banned, from what I've heard)
31 Speed IV's
252 Speed EV's, 252 HP EV's, 4 Defense EV's
Moves:
Taunt
King's Shield
Spiky Shield
Mean Look

Basically, this Smeargle set is meant to cripple any physical attacker on the battlefield. It begins by using Mean Look so the opponent can't switch. They'll most likely attack you, which is why the Focus Sash is here. If you can withstand another hit, set up Taunt, and they won't be able to use any passive moves. After that, begin your enjoyment by using Spiky Shield, and they'll hurt themselves. See where I'm going with this? Then use King's Shield to reduce their Attack, and switch between the two until the attacker does himself in. By switching between the two protecting moves, they'll always work because you didn't use them twice in a row. If they try to be smart and not use an attacking move, thinking they stumped you, Taunt comes into play. They'll have no choice but attack you until they're down for the count, and they can't switch because of Mean Look, and they can't use Baton Pass (if they have it) because of Taunt! It's a bit tedious, and would probably apply as a stall war, but I'm quite confident this strategy will work. This will only work in single battles.

Pros:
+ Cripples physical attackers
+ Good revenge killer
+ Capable of turning the tide of a game
+ Could make the opponent ragequit (Seriously, it's evil)

Cons:
- Useless against Special/Mixed attackers
- One-time use
- Can be easily trumped by multi-hit attacks
- Risky, but worth it

Conclusion:
It has it's good sides and bad sides to it, but think of the Level 1 Ratatta strategy. It's risky as well, and can be foiled without much trouble. Sometimes, you've just got to throw all your cards on the table and risk it all. But trust me, it's worth it.

Last edited:
Smeargle w/ Focus Sash
Jolly/Timid Nature
Own Tempo (Moody is banned, from what I've heard)
31 Speed IV's
252 Speed EV's, 252 HP EV's, 4 Defense EV's
Moves:
Taunt
King's Shield
Spiky Shield
Mean Look

[...] By switching between the two protecting moves, they'll always work because you didn't use them twice in a row. [...]
I am almost 100% certain that moves like Protect/Detect's success rate still falls if you used a similar move the previous turn, to prevent exactly this kind of thing from working.

xRadarr
I am almost 100% certain that moves like Protect/Detect's success rate still falls if you used a similar move the previous turn, to prevent exactly this kind of thing from working
It's worth a shot. I can check, and hope for the best. If not, it was a good idea, to say the least.

No idea on how to make the thing say who said what. I only made this account to share my strategy, seeing as how I'm seeing multiple on here other than my own.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It already had access to Superpower in Gen V through tutoring, but since we won't know what the new tutors will teach, having it as egg move makes for nice safety. Coupled with how both Knock Off and Crabhammer has been boosted this gen (latter is now 100 BP), things are coming up Milhouse for Crawdaunt.

Another new winner is a longtime favorite, Lapras.

Yes, Nessie didn't get a Mega Evolution (that we know of; game data's yet to be cracked, and Z may have a nice surprise), but in the meantime, two changes have given the Transporter new life.

One is, again, Defog. More weaponry against entry hazards is HUGE for a bulky grounded Ice type.

The other is the addition of Freeze Dry to Lapras's arsenal, which, as noted in the Freeze Dry thread, is better than Thunderbolt in every way when combined with Water for dual STAB. It can be used alongside Ice Beam, which provides greater power, as well as Water Absorb to make Lapras an incredible counter to bulky waters. In particular, folks like Gastrodon and Kingdra who enjoy immunity or neutrality to Thunderbolt are suddenly hit 4x by a STAB move.

Smaller factors, like the new counter to Fighting types, the nerf of Sandstorm and its incremental damage (although we do miss Rain Hydration) also chip in to give Lapras new life this gen. But what gets me most excited is that thanks to Freeze Dry and Water Absorb, Lapras is suddenly one of the best counters to bulky water.

That sounds really exciting, I wonder what Lapras' role in a team would be. I'd be thrilled to use her in OU again.

While the combination of Defog + counter to bulky water seems really odd, Lapra has a really good time against Greninja, resisting both of his main coverage moves Hydro Pump + Icebeam (Rock Slide has yet to be seen), and threatening with Freeze Dry or Defog on the switch.

Besides she also can switch into CB locked Azumarills which is really really good. Even if she gets 25 % SR dmg on the switch, she'll just heal back up. That's kinda amazing!

That sounds really exciting, I wonder what Lapras' role in a team would be. I'd be thrilled to use her in OU again.

While the combination of Defog + counter to bulky water seems really odd, Lapra has a really good time against Greninja, resisting both of his main coverage moves Hydro Pump + Icebeam (Rock Slide has yet to be seen), and threatening with Freeze Dry or Defog on the switch.

Besides she also can switch into CB locked Azumarills which is really really good. Even if she gets 25 % SR dmg on the switch, she'll just heal back up. That's kinda amazing!
Lapras doesn't learn Defog. I was just saying Defog makes Lapras's life easier because it makes entry hazards that it hates easier to counter.

Aww, that's sad.

Though it wouldn't be too far off to give Lapras, some Loss Nech Monster who lives in misty caves and learns Mist a move which removes said mist / fog.

Just for fun:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Lapras Freeze Dry vs. 232 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 266-314 (88.96 - 105.01%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ SpA Choice Specs Lapras Freeze Dry vs. 248 HP / 232+ SpD Rotom-W: 198-234 (65.34 - 77.22%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Not that we would ever run Specs on Lapras but quite surprising nevertheless.

There is a new toy that's being severely overlooked, and its called the Assault Vest.
Effect: "When held by a Pokémon, it increases the Sp. Defense stat by 50% but requires the Pokémon to only use damaging attacks."

(sauce: http://serebii.net/itemdex/assaultvest.shtml)
"This 50% boost sounds pretty cool and all, but what special walls would give up their status and all forms of healing to gain this bulk?" Well, none, really...
"So what's the use of this item, at all, then?" you ask.
It's simple.
We kill them. We kill them all...

Enter our old friend, Tyranitar.

-sup?

"But why?" You ask. "He only has a base 100 SpDef, and makes for a far better attacker?"
Well, some men just want to watch the world burn.

Don't tell me you've already forgotten about his signature ability, Sand Stream?
Yes, the weather nerf hits him hard, but you forget what happens to Rock types in the sand...

Rock-types gain a boost to their Special Defense of 50%

You see where this is going, right?

Assuming that assault vest stacks with the sandstorm boost, you now potentially have a Tyranitar with a positively BEASTLY 738 SpDef stat in the sand!

- Wot, m8?

I'm sure I don't have to spell out the possibilities for you...

**Edited for errors pointed out by user nikovan**

Last edited:
Assuming that assault vest only tacks on 50% of a pokemon's base SpDef, you now have a Tyranitar with a positively BEASTLY base 200 SpDef stat in the sand!
That's not how you stack boosts. You're increasing Tyranitar's Special Defense directly, not the base stat. And even then, following your logic, it'd be 100 SpD x 1.5 Sandstorm x 1.5 Assault Vest = 225 SpD, which it isn't mind you:

Shuckle's Base SpD is 230, which translates to 496 uninvested. Uninvested Assault Vest Sandstorm Ttar reaches 531, meaning that his would be SpD is higher than 225 and 230.

Specially Defensive AV Tyranitar reaches a maximum gargantuan SpD of 738, a number bigger than non-Sandstorm Shuckle's SpD. Sandstorm AV Shuckle laughs at that, of course, sitting at 1381 SpD, but with no way of using status moves, it becomes a sitting duck so it is not useful.

Also, just to clarify, Base Stats are not linear. Base 100 is not double Base 50 and HP is calculated in a completely different way than the other stats.

But yeah, Assault Vest is best used on Tyranitar to survive them Focus Blasts and Goodra to tank all the things. Neither get recovery outside of Levtovers, but they cannot use it anyway because AV gives you a permanent Taunt, so it is the perfect item for bulky offense.

That's not how you stack boosts. You're increasing Tyranitar's Special Defense directly, not the base stat. And even then, following your logic, it'd be 100 SpD x 1.5 Sandstorm x 1.5 Assault Vest = 225 SpD, which it isn't mind you:

Shuckle's Base SpD is 230, which translates to 496 uninvested. Uninvested Assault Vest Sandstorm Ttar reaches 531, meaning that his would be SpD is higher than 225 and 230.

Specially Defensive AV Tyranitar reaches a maximum gargantuan SpD of 738, a number bigger than non-Sandstorm Shuckle's SpD. Sandstorm AV Shuckle laughs at that, of course, sitting at 1381 SpD, but with no way of using status moves, it becomes a sitting duck so it is not useful.

Also, just to clarify, Base Stats are not linear. Base 100 is not double Base 50 and HP is calculated in a completely different way than the other stats.

But yeah, Assault Vest is best used on Tyranitar to survive them Focus Blasts and Goodra to tank all the things. Neither get recovery outside of Levtovers, but they cannot use it anyway because AV gives you a permanent Taunt, so it is the perfect item for bulky offense.
My bad, I knew that, I just wasn't thinking right when I posted, I guess. I will edit my previous post.

Still, I see it as a completely viable threat and yet another option for Tyranitar to make him extremely unpredictable
(Other viable sets including, but not limited to, Scarfitar, Megatar, and Banded Tar)

Users not expecting Specially defensive "AV-a-Tar" (lol) won't stand a chance!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)