Other Shiny new toys

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this has been mentioned here, but Oblivious prevents Taunt. This means that Whiscash can Dragon Dance, Mamoswine can Stealth Rock, Jynx can Lovely Kiss and/or Nasty Plot, Slowking can Trick Room and/or Nasty Plot, and with the imminent addition of Pokémon Bank, Lickilicky will be able to Wish, Protect, and Heal Bell until it faints.

Then again, maybe it's not worth mentioning because everything that gets Oblivious is pretty low-tier (except Mamo) and some would probably be better with their other abilities (thinking Mamo's Thick Fat, Jynx's Dry Skin, and Slowking's Regenerator). I think Wish/Protect/Heal Bell Lickilicky would appreciate this boon most.

Defog and new Infiltrator mechanics are going to make Crobat a major player. It could also run hypnosis after the defog for a high chance of sleep.

Geomancy and Power Herb works together, right? We might see smeargle trying to pass a x2 quiver dance equivalent.

With Sticky Web around, Spinda could see some use in the lower tiers with his superpower gimmick.

I don't think this has been mentioned here, but Oblivious prevents Taunt. This means that Whiscash can Dragon Dance, Mamoswine can Stealth Rock, Jynx can Lovely Kiss and/or Nasty Plot, Slowking can Trick Room and/or Nasty Plot, and with the imminent addition of Pokémon Bank, Lickilicky will be able to Wish, Protect, and Heal Bell until it faints.

Then again, maybe it's not worth mentioning because everything that gets Oblivious is pretty low-tier (except Mamo) and some would probably be better with their other abilities (thinking Mamo's Thick Fat, Jynx's Dry Skin, and Slowking's Regenerator). I think Wish/Protect/Heal Bell Lickilicky would appreciate this boon most.
Oblivious for Slowking/Slowbro is actually big thing for doubles when opponent can't Taunt your Trick Room from starting. When I play doubles sometimes I really wish I had naturally Taunt immune Pokemon which is also capable of using TR in Gen 5, for which I didn't need specific items to counter it. Regenerator in doubles doesn't really matter, as you don't switch much (if at all), so Oblivious is actually great buff for those. Just not for singles.

i know this is only a lower tier change but its one of my favorite pokemon.

butterfree got a +10 to spec atk whic could make lead butterfree little more threatning in the low tiers.

-sleep powder
-quiver dance
-bug buzz
-what ever you want

i know setting up is bad at the beginning but in nu you could punch a major hole at the beginning for the rest of your team to take advantage of

source serebii

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Very true, but imagine how great it would be if it got it.
Posts like this are beyond the scope of this thread. Theorising on its role in the meta or against its usual opponents is fine, but unless you personally can confirm, or have a post/screenshot/video to refer to, talking about new moves, abilities and the likes are not in line with this thread.

In other news, it appears Entei receives Sacred Fire. While Flare Blitz packs more power, Sacred Fire's 50% burn rate is way too good to pass up, so I can easily see it replacing it in its Choice Band set, or be squeezed into the fourth moveslot instead of a filler move.

With sacred fire, Entei could take more of a defensive role with

Entei @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Def / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Roar
- Toxic
- Substitute/whatever

Of course fire isn't the greatest defensive type but hey

Has Flash Fire Entei been released?

Also that 50% burn rate means Entei doesn't need to make room for WoW. Which is cool.

Right, but we can probably confirm the changed stats based on the differences in stats between old and new pokemon.

And Flare Blitz Flareon is miserable, it is like Pikachu in that it is powerful and will kill itself with ease. Of course, Pikachu uses his item for that, while Flareon uses its item AND ability and he's slower, so make of that what you will.
Its Flareon's Special Defense stat being where its speed stat should be. 130/95/110 offenses would've made Flareon a lot better. Its a shame that its offenses are in the right spot, but its Speed stat was shafted to give it Sp. Def that it can't use to the fullest extent because of its low HP stat. I guess it couldn't be helped though, since the Special split in Gen 1 meant the 95 being added had to go either to defenses or offenses.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
This generation
an Entei in the Battle Maison knows it so unless the computer is straight up not-giving-a-single-fuck cheating....
A Lanturn belonging to a Cooltrainer in Emerald's Victory Road has Earthquake, as does Winona's Dragonair in the rematches (though the latter is probably pre-programmed due to it becoming Dragonite later). I wouldn't put it past them.

Xerneas has that signature move Geomancy where it waits a turn then sharply raises its special attack/speed/special defense as this works with power herb do you think a Baton Pass smeargle lead set could work? I could perhaps see it having max evs in speed/hp (perhaps invest some into the defenses and remove some from speed) and providing it can take 1 hit from their lead, could use Geomancy to then outspeed their lead and perhaps use spore and then baton pass the boosts onto a team member. Don't have much knowledge of competitive battling nor knowledge experience though so i'm not sure smeargle would get the opportunity to do this much, not entirely sure of the moveset either. Maybe Geomancy/Baton Pass/Spore/Taunt or perhaps an entry hazard instead of taunt seems like a fun strategy if it pays off, shame about smeargles frailness however

Last edited:

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Xerneas has that signature move Geomancy where it waits a turn then sharply raises its special attack/speed/special defense as this works with power herb do you think a Baton Pass smeargle lead set could work? I could perhaps see it having max evs in speed/hp (perhaps invest some into the defenses and remove some from speed) and providing it can take 1 hit from their lead, could use Geomancy to then outspeed their lead and perhaps use spore and then baton pass the boosts onto a team member. Don't have much knowledge of competitive battling nor knowledge experience though so i'm not sure smeargle would get the opportunity to do this much, not entirely sure of the moveset either. Maybe Geomancy/Baton Pass/Spore/Taunt or perhaps an entry hazard instead of taunt seems like a fun strategy if it pays off, shame about smeargles frailness however
Most Smeargles require Focus Sash as safety since it truly is a frail being. And with grass status moves now being useless against grass types, Smeargle will become somewhat nerfed as it cannot always fire off a certain Spore. And with or without Power Herb, Smeargle cannot make use of the boost himself, so just like with Ninjask, this strategy can be made null by phazers and hazers.

It did, however, receive King's Shield and Parting Shot this gen, so those two might find their way onto one of its sets.

A Lanturn belonging to a Cooltrainer in Emerald's Victory Road has Earthquake, as does Winona's Dragonair in the rematches (though the latter is probably pre-programmed due to it becoming Dragonite later). I wouldn't put it past them.
Yeah, GF is likely just cheating with their Enteis

I think Entei having legit Sacred Fire is very feasible, given Ho-Oh's close connection to his trio and their shared typing. Now just give Aeroblast to the birds =P

EDIT: Also, Entei having Sacred Fire means it is no longer completely outclassed by Arcanine. Huzzah!

Defog and new Infiltrator mechanics are going to make Crobat a major player. It could also run hypnosis after the defog for a high chance of sleep.

Geomancy and Power Herb works together, right? We might see smeargle trying to pass a x2 quiver dance equivalent.

With Sticky Web around, Spinda could see some use in the lower tiers with his superpower gimmick.
Crobat will definitely be a new threat this gen. It's old ability was practically useless bar against Fake Out, so this one will give it a true shot at OU.

Vileplume got a couple boosts this gen, too, maybe, just maybe enough for it to be ok in UU, haha. It at least as a good shot to make it to RU. It got +10 in it's Special Attack, and it got a new coverage move in Dazzling Gleam. Plus its Poison STAB is not longer useless. It has decent bulk, decent typing, access to Sleep Powder (and semi-reliable recovery in Moonlight, which is now a tad more reliable since the weather nerf) and can now hit Fighting, Dark, and Dragon Pokemon for super-effective damage. The only thing letting it down is its very underwhelming abilities and common weaknesses that its Grass typing gives it. Nonetheless, it's now viable in the lower tiers.

Speaking of mons who get Dazzling Gleam, Alakazam gets it. Good way to hit Dark types without relying on Focus Miss I guess, and it hits dragons too. Leaves Zam walled by steels however, only having shadow ball to hit them neutrally.

I think Entei having legit Sacred Fire is very feasible, given Ho-Oh's close connection to his trio and their shared typing. Now just give Aeroblast to the birds =P

EDIT: Also, Entei having Sacred Fire means it is no longer completely outclassed by Arcanine. Huzzah!
Areoblast suicune please. PLEASE.

Be hilarious if Suicune, Raikou and Entei all got Sacred Fire. I mean technically in the 'lore' it's what brought them back from the dead. So it's possible.

Speaking of mons who get Dazzling Gleam, Alakazam gets it. Good way to hit Dark types without relying on Focus Miss I guess, and it hits dragons too. Leaves Zam walled by steels however, only having shadow ball to hit them neutrally.
Actually, what has better coverage, ghost/fairy or ghost/fighting? I almost feel like ghost/fairy does, or is at least on par.

Be hilarious if Suicune, Raikou and Entei all got Sacred Fire. I mean technically in the 'lore' it's what brought them back from the dead. So it's possible.

Actually, what has better coverage, ghost/fairy or ghost/fighting? I almost feel like ghost/fairy does, or is at least on par.
Ghost/fighting is completely unresisted

Ghost/fairy is halted by Pyroar and hits less SE

Dazzling Gleam might be better than Focus Blast if only because of the accuracy. Though it doesn't hit T-Tar 4X...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)