Other Inverse Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just Grass.

The type chart is incredibly imbalanced for Normal and Steel. Normal kills everything, Steel dies to everything.

Can anything survive an explosion without boosts?
Anything that could survive it before? Explosion no longer halves Defense, and there are plenty of Pokémon who aren't one-shotted by it, even if they didn't resist it. Normal had near-unresisted type coverage anyway. If you weren't Steel, Ghost, or Rock, you took neutral damage. Granted, Steel and Ghost have become quite prevalent (especially Ghost in this Generation), but they're hardly the majority of any tier.
Aggron is the only one I can think of hit 4x by Normal, since both Steel/Ghost and Rock/Ghost aren't currently used. If you have a team without Steel types, you're pretty much unaffected by the change, and Ghost moves (which are now everywhere thanks to the new Steel resistance loss) will destroy Normals just as Fighting used to.

There's only so much that it can do. It's best special attacks are blocked by Soundproof, and all of its attacks with drawbacks (of which there are a lot) still have those. Sure, being scaled for no Super-Effective hits for six Generations means that some of them have power that's a little on the strong side, but it's still nothing that most Pokémon can't take neutrally. Heck, most of them already do.
Nintendo/Gamefreak/whoever decides these things might have inverse battles available as a battle spot special in an upcoming season. That'll be a good way to push it.
Honestly, I think that the "single-NPC using the mode" was an indication that GameFreak is pretty much just trying it out, looking for reception. If people like it, I expect it to become as used as the other battle formats. Doubles, Triples, Rotations, and now Inverse.

I'm calling an Inverse Restaurant Menu in Pokémon Z.

Guys it's time for tauros triumphant return to being the king of oh all we need now is cries to work like RBY all hail king tauros

You know who I see being really good here? Malamar.

Psychic/Dark only has one weakness in this meta, and that is Psychic. And while everyone is carrying around Ghost-types to counter the Normal-types, Malamar becomes an example of a one-weakness Pokémon that ISN'T weak to Ghost.

And offensively, carrying around its two STABs, it's unresisted. Especially so if you slap Return on it.

Meloetta and Girafarig are only weak to Psychic, too, and have normal STAB. Of course, I'm fairly sure they have to wait for Pokébank.

Are you seriously not considering dragon?
It is again nearly unresisted, with the same overpowered users, and it now has perfect coverage with Fire, Water, Grass OR electric, meaning things like Kingdra or CharizardX (the two of them have acces to DD) are inverse glass cannons (Zard is 4x weak to overpowered grass).

This is not your proudest moment.
You're right, I completely overlooked Aegislash. So there are two Pokémon hit 4x by Normal Moves. Whoop de doo. The change to inverse, while greatly beneficial to Normal, does not suddenly make it the perfect answer to everything that everyone seems to be treating it as. It still hits the vast majority of Pokémon for neutral damage, and the Pokémon who use the moves well aren't going to suddenly hit five times harder than they could before.

Normal may be good, but anyone banking on just throwing out an Exploud and sweeping everything is going to get thrashed. Setting up SE coverage, playing with STABs, and properly balancing your team is still going to be just as important. Normal gets a benefit, yes, and probably the biggest of any type, simply because of the rather pathetic starting point that it had. But plenty of other types (Grass, for example) have gotten a huge benefit as well, and some of the fundamental mechanics that shaped the meta (like Stealth Rocks) have been completely overturned. Heck, the Pokémon who are otherwise solid but crippled by a 4x SR weakness are going to find a new lease on life in this new format, and none of them are weak to Normal.

There is no single answer to everything, there never has been, and there isn't going to be in this format.

Okay, so I did a couple of experiments:

1. My Ring Target idea didn't work; giving one to a Ghost will still make it weak against Normal attacks.
2. Freeze Dry is still super effective on Water types, but I'm not sure if it's a quadrouple weakness or not.

So Leavany (and Parasect) have one of the best Dual STABS there attackwise: this is despite the overlap coverage they share on flying, steel, fire and poison. That's still 10 types, many of which can score 4x hits: Lucario, Volcarona, Dragonite, Venusaur, Skarmory, Crobat, Heatran, Skymin, Togekiss, Scoliopede, Moltres... it's brutal!

Parasect will REALLY shine in the rain, though Dry Skin removing his water weakness and making his damage from fire 5/16 instead of 1/4 is amazing by itself. 4x Ground weakness isn't as dangerous as it once was, but you should probably have a levitating partner on hand anyways... or Magcargo, who's now totally top tier.

He's asking if they could be poisoned, like with a Toxic Orb, or if just plain Toxic.
Oh...sorry for the confusion there. I thought that they could be Poisoned, since they are no longer immune to it.

The way he said it made it sound like they couldn't, so now I'm not so sure.

Dragon + Fire regains unresisted neutral coverage. Dragon hits everything Neutrally or better except itself, and fire hits Dragons SE. Reshiram, Zekrom, MegaZard X, Mega Amphy, Palkia, and Kingdra all have unresisted STAB. On the flipside, Dragons are now weak to 4 strong types, with the Grass weakness being perhaps the most important.

Mega Kangaskhan has Parental Bond and unresisted STAB in a single move. Just wow.

Ghost moves are going to be very important, even more so than their current state of awesome, for the SE hit against normal types. For this reason, Psychics are going to be very useful, as they resist not only Ghost but also Dark and Bug. They're weak to fighting, but Normal handles that well enough. You can of course use other ghosts, but they have a crippling Normal Weakness.

Abilities that grant immunities are going to be godsends, as many of them will now eliminate a weakness instead of a resistance, a la Sap Sipper on Goodra and Sawsbuck, or Motor Drive on E-vire.

Finally, Inverse Battle Bug and Fighting have what I've wanted since the series began: a type relationship where both types are weak to each other. The same is true of Normal/Ghost.

How does passive damage work? Would sandstorn only affect rock, ground, and steels, and would toxic hit steels and poisons? Wouldn't toxic spikes be really good because nothing could absorb it/immune to it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)