Other Inverse Battles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Inverse Battle metagame seems very geared towards offense, so I think we should take a look at potentially good defensive Pokémon.

95 base HP, 184 base Defense, and only one weakness. No brainer.

Celebi looks just as good as in the standard metagame, if not better. It has a lot of weaknesses, but also a lot of resistances. Overall, both Grass and Psychic become more powerful in this metagame, so I'd say it's a great trade for Celebi. 4x resists Bug and x2 resists Ghost, Ice, Dark, and Poison looks just awesome. Also, none of Celebi's weaknesses are 4 times super-effective! And considering that Grass- and Psychic-types are weak to themselves, Celebi doesn't need to worry about a Grass/Psychic type switching into it.

Back in Generation I, Cloyster and Lapras were the true dedicated physical walls. Now that Ice is actually a good defensive typing, they can be back to be dedicated walls. They both resist Grass and Stealth Rock and have good Defense.

Cresselia was already an excellent wall. The difference is that now Psychic is an excellent defensive typing. It resists Bug (SE against 7 types), Ghost (SE against Normal), and Dark (otherwise resisted only by the now Normal-weak Ghost-types). And it only has two weaknesses, one of which is to itself, the other is to a type weak to Stealth Rock.
Give your Cresselia Reflect and Shadow Ball and it should be able to scare off a lot of Normal-types.

Goodra resists Dragon-type attacks and thanks to Sap Sipper is immune to the main weakness of Dragon-types in this metagame: Grass. Not only that, but it can learn an excellent Grass-type attack itself, in the form of Power Whip. Goodra looks a legitimate anti-Dragon in this metagame.

Latias used to be a good defensive Pokémon with a bad defensive typing. Now she's a good defensive Pokémon with an awesome defensive typing. Latias is like an offsprint of Cresselia and Goodra.

Unaware Quagsire is probably going to see a lot of usage. No need to worry about set-up Normal Pokémon with this guy around. Also, 4x Grass resist.

To be honest, Water-types look to me just as good as they are in the standard metagame. Water is the only type that resists Grass without being weak to Poison and while it has 4 weaknesses now as opposed of 2, half these weaknesses are to poor offensive types (Fire and Steel) and the third is to Water itself.

upload_2013-11-13_15-58-14.jpeg

Not only is Grass an excellent offensive type, it's also very good defensively. It resists Bug (SE against 7 types), Ice (the only weakness of Ice itself), and Poison (SE against 5 types). Tangrowth has better physical Defense, which is good since most Normal-type attacks are physical, while Gogoat is also immune to Grass-type attacks.

Steel just becomes an absolutely worthless type in these battles, I don't know if I like them that much. It nerfs so many types almost to the point of unplayability...

That's what happens when you resist so many types and then the type chart is flipped. Grass went from a terrible attacking type to one of the best. Yes, some types were hit extremely hard but others have a new lease on life. Bug/Flying no longer cares how many hazards you have on the field, since you would have to switch in 32 times to KO it instead of twice, with nothing to say of its new coverage. Honestly, I look forward to Steel not being such an insane catch-all. It promotes better play instead of mindlessly bringing Jrachi and Heatran in over and over.

It's, if nothing else, a huge thought experiment that will be interesting to play, but you don't have to touch it if you don't want to.

At first I thought Grass/Bug Would finally be good, but it still has 2 quad weaknesses... ground however probably won't be very popular because Levitate still ignores the rules of inverse.

Oh man, if Extreme killer Arceus ever gets into this, oh man. He'd become an unstoppable assassin. Without a resistance to Extremespeed, I don't think anything can switch into this thing. Am I wrong?

What do you mean reversed? There's no way I can think of to reverse immunities that makes any sense, aside from what they already did.
I think s/he means something along the lines of "Since Ground-types are immune to Electric moves, in Inverse Battles Electric-types should be immune to Ground moves."

I think s/he means something along the lines of "Since Ground-types are immune to Electric moves, in Inverse Battles Electric-types should be immune to Ground moves."
Yes, that is what i mean. normal and ghost remain immune to each other.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
With Bug becoming such an amazing offensive typing in Inverse, I really love the idea of something like this:

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Fury Cutter
- Brick Break
- Shadow Claw / Defog

Essentially, Scyther just spams U-Turn all day until it's within Swarm Range. Then it can opportunistically sweep using Fury Cutter!

Turn 1: 40 Base * 1.5 Swarm * 1.5 STAB = 90 effective power
Turn 2: 80 Base * 1.5 Swarm * 1.5 STAB = 180 effective power
Turn 3: 160 Base * 1.5 Swarm * 1.5 STAB = 360 effective power

Last edited:
With Bug becoming such an amazing offensive typing in Inverse, I really love the idea of something like this:

Scyther @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Fury Cutter
- Brick Break
- Shadow Claw / Defog

Essentially, Scyther just spams U-Turn all day until it's within Swarm Range. Then it can opportunistically sweep using Fury Cutter!

Turn 1: 40 Base * 1.5 Swarm * 1.5 STAB = 90 effective power
Turn 2: 80 Base * 1.5 Swarm * 1.5 STAB = 180 effective power
Turn 3: 160 Base * 1.5 Swarm * 1.5 STAB = 360 effective power
Scary...If this going to become a thing Celebis and Exeggutor gotta pop around. Unless Fury Cutter reach enough damage OHKO them in time...

Sounds like Inverse Battles is living up to name, with certain unloved types getting such a boost.
And Ice becoming stronger than old Dragons type (with only weakness to self.)

The thing is that Scyther is 4x weak to Grass. It can't kill the likes of Tangrowth or Celebi in 1 hit, and it's OHKOed in return.

I've played about a dozen Inverse Battles on Pokémon Showdown. Unfortunately for some reasons they didn't ban Ubers like Mewtwo, Xerneas and Yveltal, so the metagame is somewhat corrupted because of that.
However I noticed:
- Tangrowth is nothing less than amazing. Full of useful resistances, Defense through the roof, it has Regenerator so after it's done its job it recovers 1/3 of its HP, it can put things to sleep and Leech Seed (Grass-types bar Gogoat are wary to switch into Tangrowth because of Giga Drain).
- Toxic Spikes, and Toxic in general, are very dangerous. With no Steel-types around, Flying-types no longer immune to entry hazards, and the fact that Poison is now a poor defensive type, there are very few Pokémon that aren't affected by them. Either a spinner, defogger, or Poison-type is almost mandatory.
- Curselax is once again amazing. Since it has perfect coverage with Return, it can use a Curse / Return / Sleep Talk / Rest set with no drawbacks. It also has Immunity, which is much more useful than Thick Fat in this metagame, despite already being a RestTalker.
- I love my Fake Out / Last Resort Ambipom.
- I think Tyranitar is better than in standard. I mean, it works just like standard except now it has no 4x crippling weakness. The only drawback is that sandstorm isn't a very good weather for its teammates since Steel-types suck and Ground- and Rock-types are mediocre. It's almost a blessing it's no longer permanent!

Has anyone tried stealing items from the Inverse battle? I noticed one of the Pokemon have Leftovers, but I don't know if it acts like a Maison/Wifi battle where whatever happens in battle, stays in battle... Can anyone confirm items can be stolen?

Has anyone tried stealing items from the Inverse battle? I noticed one of the Pokemon have Leftovers, but I don't know if it acts like a Maison/Wifi battle where whatever happens in battle, stays in battle... Can anyone confirm items can be stolen?
I actually just tried this. I used my Pidgeot, it Thief'd Inverse's Crustle's Scope Lens, and it stayed there until the battle was over. Then it disappeared. So, unfortunately, no free Leftovers.

- Toxic Spikes, and Toxic in general, are very dangerous. With no Steel-types around, Flying-types no longer immune to entry hazards, and the fact that Poison is now a poor defensive type, there are very few Pokémon that aren't affected by them. Either a spinner, defogger, or Poison-type is almost mandatory.
Is this actually a confirmed mechanic? Showdown might not be 100% correct, and I'm skeptical that Flying would no longer avoid entry hazards since they aren't type based (excepting SR).
edit: Just tested in game. FLYING TYPES ARE STILL IMMUNE TO SPIKES.

I can see why Tyranitar is good, since it resists 3 of the top 4 types (Grass, Bug, Fighting). Normal weakness is a shame, but manageable on such a good Pokemon.

Last edited:
edit: Just tested in game. FLYING TYPES ARE STILL IMMUNE TO SPIKES.
Really? I thought that immunity to Spikes/Toxic Spikes was just a consequence of being immune to Ground and that if you lose one you lose the other. (Does this mean Flying-types under Gravity are still immune to Spikes in standard by the way?)

However this makes Flying-types much more interesting, thanks for the info!

Really? I thought that immunity to Spikes/Toxic Spikes was just a consequence of being immune to Ground and that if you lose one you lose the other. (Does this mean Flying-types under Gravity are still immune to Spikes in standard by the way?)

However this makes Flying-types much more interesting, thanks for the info!
It's because Flying types being immune to spikes/toxic spikes is not a type chart based interaction. It's more like Fire types being immune to burn or Poison types being immune to being Poisoned.
Stealth rock meanwhile does use the type chart for its damage, so it gets inverted.

Gravity negates the benefits of being a Flying type though, so Flyers under Gravity do get hit.

Gravity only negates immunity to Ground, not all benefits of the Flying type, that's why I was asking.

It still seems strange to me, but if you tested it ingame then it's fine.

I do wonder if Flying-types keep their immunity to Trap Arena as well. It seems kind of complicated to test it ingame though.

Bug/Flying are still bad IMHO. x4 weakness to Grass is very bad in this metagame, Grass Pokémon resist both your STABs and are immune to Spore/Stun Spore.

I do wonder if Flying-types keep their immunity to Trap Arena as well. It seems kind of complicated to test it ingame though.
I am 99% certain that they do, because again, that's not a Type Chart interaction. Inverse Battles invert the interactions between types and nothing else.

No, it negates all of the benefits.
Flying-types under Gravity still resist Grass, Bug and Fighting and are still weak to Electric, Ice and Rock, and still get STAB on Flying-type moves. I don't see how this qualifies as "all benefits."

Anyway, it's OT,let's move on.

IT, what do you think it's a good Bug-type in this metagame? Despite Bug being super effective against 7 types, most Bugs are walled hard by Grass types, which are very common.
The only Bug I used in Inverse Battle is Scolipede, but that's because it has Speed Boost, Toxic Spikes and Baton Pass. In fact I didn't even bother to give it a Bug-type move.

Flying-types under Gravity still resist Grass, Bug and Fighting and are still weak to Electric, Ice and Rock, and still get STAB on Flying-type moves. I don't see how this qualifies as "all benefits."
By "benefits", we mean "perks that aren't type chart interactions".
What gravity does, is making every poké grounded, thus prone to spikes. It also removes flying type's inmunity to ground moves.
Without it, flying types and levitating mons are not grounded (inmune to spikes, t-spikes, arena trap, sticky web, and terrains).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)