Pokémon Heliolisk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Protect + Sub lets Helioptile stall indefinitely against slow opponents as long as rain is up.

252 hp / 252 spe / 4 def
Timid
Dry Skin
Damp Rock
-Substitute
-Protect
-Toxic/Thunder
-Rain Dance

Something like this might work in Singles. Switch in on a water attack, set up sub, rain and then toxic stall. It's pretty much dead weight outside of its gimmick. It's preferable to open up the last two moveslots by including another dedicated rain inducers and toxic spikes support into your team.

You guys think that he would be good with an Absorb bulb?
He could switch into water attacks, heal due to Dry Skin, AND get a SP.A boost from the bulb.

Then again, just an idea.

Sig says it all.

This is something I tested and unfortunately, absorb bulb does not activate when dry skin Heliolisk is hit by a water type move. Cell Battery could be used with Electrify, however that item raises attack and not special attack, making it near useless for Heliolisk.

Not sure how much discussion there was on the Ability Capsule, but one can consider a gimmicky idea in which he can switch between his abilities to suit different weather users. So if you run a half sand/half sun team for example (for whatever reason), throw in Heliolisk with Ability Capsule and have him benefit from both types of weather.

And then there's rain too of course... with Dry Skin, I'm sure Water Pokemon won't enjoy fighting an Electric Pokemon who is immune to their Water moves. And yeah, I know weather got nerfed and all, but still. I could be a bit misinformed on the mechanics of Ability Capsule though, but it's a fun idea to think about.

Not sure how much discussion there was on the Ability Capsule, but one can consider a gimmicky idea in which he can switch between his abilities to suit different weather users. So if you run a half sand/half sun team for example (for whatever reason), throw in Heliolisk with Ability Capsule and have him benefit from both types of weather.

And then there's rain too of course... with Dry Skin, I'm sure Water Pokemon won't enjoy fighting an Electric Pokemon who is immune to their Water moves. And yeah, I know weather got nerfed and all, but still. I could be a bit misinformed on the mechanics of Ability Capsule though, but it's a fun idea to think about.
Ability Capsule is an item used outside of battle, and you can only use it once, so Ability Capsule has no viability.

Building on the niche uses of Electrify, in 2v2 the idea of a duo of Helio with a lightning-rod user springs to mind.

For example, using Manectric either with or without Mega Stone, to take a SpAtk boost and capitalize.
Of course, the weakness to EQ is evident; yet with Electrify that would be anulled; even causing damage to the flying/levitating Pokémon who expected to dodge it.
Nope. Just tried it. Electrify is absorbed by Lightning Rod before it affects the opposing Pokemon. That combo isn't viable.

I know it's banned, but for non-competitive play, what would be a good strategy for a Heliolisk with Sand Veil? I think it should have Sandstorm and Double Team, but I don't know what else to put on. Help/Suggestions?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
double team isnt allowed but sand veil is this gen. Oddly enough, flash is also allowed. not sure if heliolisk can learn flash but thats an option even though its kinda gimicky.

double team isnt allowed but sand veil is this gen. Oddly enough, flash is also allowed. not sure if heliolisk can learn flash but thats an option even though its kinda gimicky.
I would use Brightpowder instead of wasting a moveslot for accuracy hax. It would still be kinda gimmicky, though.

Yeah, but this sin't for battling on Smogon, it's for my own personal use.

Could someone help suggest two more moves, held item and ev placement?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
surf, sub and t-bolt are good moves for it with a brightpowder or leftovers. Max speed and sp atk is almost always the best way to go

surf, sub and t-bolt are good moves for it with a brightpowder or leftovers. Max speed and sp atk is almost always the best way to go
Sub? What's that?

Anyway, I'm think the moves will be Thunderbolt, Surf, Sandstorm, Double Team. Not considering the "Evasion Clause" is this a good choice? and where should the last 4 E.V.go?

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
oh sub is just short for substitute. sorry about that. guess I should have been more clear. and the last 4 evs probably should go to hp

I wouldn't use Double Team on a frail pokemon like That. If you're going for an in-game sandstorm Heliolisk, Try Electrify and protect on the same set and use it to stall things out under sand.

This thread is for discussing competitive Helioptile though.

first off what does the moves eerie impulse and electrify do?
is electrify the same as electric terrain
secound there should be a way to use its DW ability solar power effectively

Heliolisk
modest solar power
life orb/expert belt
252 EVs in spa and spe
parabolic charge
grass knot
dark pulse/focus blast/ HP ice
volt turn

or
just switch items to shell bell/leftovers
thunder bolt
grass knot
dark pulse/focus blast/HP ice/HP fire
volt turn

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
well eerie impulse lowers the opponents sp atk by 2 stages and electrify changes the opponents moves to electric type moves for a turn.

Both are interesting moves but dont think heliolisk has the defensive stats to pull them off. Eerie impulse would be a more useful tool for tanks like lanturn

Scarf Volt Switch is always good, on every poke, he is good in 3 weathers: Sun, Rain, and Sand. In Rain he gets the extra boost for Surf and Thunder is 100% accuracy, In Sun it can help it's fellow Fire pokes with Grass Knot + Humongous SpA because of Solar Power, in Sand it can be awesome with bright powder.

I would go with something like this:

Heliolisk @ Leftovers
Ability:
Dry Skin
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 SpA

-Parabolic Charge
-Toxic
-Grass Knot/HP Ice
-Substitute

A kinda defensive set I just found out, with those EV spread it reaches a 324 HP, 223 Def and 224 SpD. If this defensive set might get a little more update it might be cool. Just is only a thought...

It can take a hit on the special side but that's it really. A defensive set like that is completely destroyed by physical moves of any kind, faster pokemon, and priority moves. If you must do a defensive set, try stalling with Toxic and Electrify. This ensures that you'll be taking not very effective damage from everything until Electrify runs out of PP.

Well, this thing pretty much screams for special sweeper, scarfer and jobs such as that. Don't see how it could be very successful on a defensive role imo, even with somethin like electrify (and it's cool defensive abilities in sand veil & dry skin) in it's arsenal.

just a trend, i just noticed. In rain teams he is ridiculously super useful, and almost always makes them regret thinking they can handle it with a gengar unless it is packing focus miss. i have allmost always been able to screw him by switching into his thunderbolt, glaring him and then volt switching out to a water tank to take the hit or just surfing him. So any one know of any other good support movesets that might be useful for him.

in rain teams
Heleolisk with expert belt EVs 252 Spe,Spa, Dry skin
volt switch, surf, glare, dark pulse/grass knot

also if sand veil is allowed in competitive now does that mean speed boost/drizzle-Swift swim is also?, that would immensely boost rain team viability.

Last edited:
Yeah, Dry Skin Heliolisk currently does surprisingly well against both Gengar and Azumarill, two massive current threats. I don't think it's enough to make him OU material (he's -just- not fast or strong enough) but it's certainly enough to give him a niche on OU teams, and that's fine.

Compared to solar power, dry skin Heliolisk is useful even when it's not raining. The water immunity is very nice.
Keep in mind though, you essentially have a weakness to fire moves with dry skin. It's easy to forget that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)