Dragonite

Windstorm's Special Ability increases it's accuracy to 100% whenever there's weather. That means Sun, Rain, Hail, Sandstorm will be a good thing. Hrm...... mabye someone can make a Special weather Dragonite. It can probably utilise Aqua Jet in the rain for added power. Thinking thinking..... someone conclude.

Edit: It can use Rain Sun and Hail for a special weather set in conjunction with Windstorm. No sandstorm for you D-nite. Rain seems especially useful for a weather moveset simply because it can use a large number of water attacks and thunder. How would this work?

I seriously only see Aqua Jet as an option on CB set to rid of Tyranitar(that's faster than you) Heatran and other stuff that are weak to it but faster than you, but then again it doesn't really have room for it and it's not worth removing a slot for it. ES is mostly superior if you decide to go with priority. I love Dragonite too, but it didn't get much boost; Aqua Jet is a meh boost and multi scale is OK on lead-nite I guess, but otherwise SR screws it over.

Guys are missing the point of multi scale. It's an option on the Anti lead set IF you don't want extremespeed. Remember its an egg move which means you won't get both. (Though mabye they'll put egg moves on Dream World pokemon. I really hope so.)

Also Multi scale is much better on the bulkyDD set where it can utilise Roost to its fullest and really on any set that can utilise roost.

Edit: Serebii just released abilities and names for new attacks. Apparentally Windstorm (Which I think is a much cooler name) is called Gale and it's special ability (Which is not nearly as useful) may confuse opponents.

Also for all you troll name luvers your disapointment begins now. Serebii has called the attack sing-a-round which still sounds a little trolly to me. lol

Wow, Dragonite receives Roost as a Learnset move now. Very impressive, and he actually fills a huge niche with his Dream World ability.

I'm actually kinda surpised this wasn't noticed by many people but dragonite could learn roost on its own in gen 4.
Light Screen / Roost / Dragon Dance / Dragon Claw in Gen 4 was actually an effective way to setup on the likes of Vaporeon and other Bulky Waters, since Ice Beam could barely scratch him with minimal HP investment (around 72 I believe).

Expand that even further with Multi Scale and you just might have a really scary Set up sweeper for Special attackers.

@Blasphemy1

This ability is up on serebii along with all other abilitys but I guess its to soon to call it just yet.

*er-erm*

I was gonna make a Dragonite thread. Beat me to it D=

Yes, I think it's fairly certain that Aqua Jet is pretty much useless on Dragonite. I was excited momentarily, but it really just doesn't hurt enough to consider it, maybe even on a banded set. When I saw that Dragonite got Multi Scale, I was a little disappointed, but I've noticed in almost all the teams I make with Dragonite I have a spinner anyway, and rarely bring him out until rocks are gone, which does make his DW ability a little useful.

Unfortunately, the King of the Dragons has never had a lucky break all throughout the game's history, but this generation has given him some interesting new tools, one of which we've already mentioned, Gale. Sadly, Multi Scale Dragonite with Superpower is illegal, but the mixed set could still make use of Gale, as it could possibly replace either Thunderbolt or Flamethrower:

Dragonite@ Life Orb
Rash Nature
112 ATK/196 Sp. Atk./200 Spe
Draco Meteor
Superpower
T-Bolt/Wind Storm
Flamethrower/Windstorm/Roost

The stats may require some additional tweaking depending on what the metagame will look like. Additionally, you could add Thunder on a rain dance team. As for the the Bulky DDnite, it is, all-in-all, less threatening, however Multi Scale will *probably* allow it to survive a weak Ice Beam or Ice Shard or maybe even an unboosted Dragon attack.

Anyway, I came up with a very gimmicky set using the new attack Claw Sharpen. Before you die of laughter, consider the attack Dragon Rush. I have always liked the attack; and have always desired to find a place for it with Nite, because Dragon Claw tended to be too weak, and while Outrage is epic, I'm hardly ever lucky with confusion, and I'd much rather equip my Nite with Lefties or Life Orb instead of a Lum Berry. So, Dragon Rush. With Claw Sharpen, you don't have to worry about the accuracy, and you can pull off a paraflinch set while at the same time boosting your attack at the same time with Nite. Consider the following:

Dragonite@leftovers (or that item that makes support moves have priority - is that just a rumor?)
Ability: Multiscale
Nature: Careful
EVS: 252 HP, 80 Atk, 176 Sp. Def.
Claw Sharpen
Dragon Rush
Thunder Wave
Roost

If you're able to keep your HP at maximum while paralyzing the enemy at no end, you will be able to take multiple hits, support the team, and hopefully take some Pokemon down. While gimmicky, this set does seem like it can have some uses on teams. I am well aware that Dragon Rush only has a 10% flinch rate, but the paraflinch is just there for added pleasure. The great thing about this is that Dragon Rush is the most powerful physical Dragon attack with no drawbacks (except accuracy), and with +1 attack, it'll do a crapton of damage.

It's hard telling what will happen to Dragonite as B/W comes out. As of now, his only competition is Flygon and Kingrda, who are by no means pseudo-legendaries or legendaries for that matter. In spite of Dragonite's slightly underwhelming ability in B/W (why not Thick Fat? =/), I think he will always have uses in the OU metagame as a 'bulky sweeper', and a special place in my heart for all those hours spent leveling up my Dragonair until he evolved in Cinnabar Mansion before the E4 back in my first file on my Red Version.

I've heard multiscale means dragonite takes 50% of the damage from any attack if hes at 100%.

This would be pretty ridiculous as a bulky DD leftovers set.

Hopefully this post has it correct, not the other one that i read, but I saw somewhere that Extremespeed got bumped back to +1 priority. Is this true, or was that person just being dumb?

Mmmm, not entirely sold on the Claw Sharpen idea. I'd rather have Dragon Dance/Dragon Claw rather than Claw Sharpen/Dragon Rush.

Speaking of accuracy, with all the new weather abuse Pokemon are going to get, Windstorm is going to become a a coveted and effective move. A really great staple for Dragonite.

Actually I think Dragonite will appreciate weather alot. Especially in the rain.
Windstorm + Thunder doesn't exactly provide the greatest coverage, but two 100 Acc 120 Power moves on one set isn't anything to scoff at.

Guys are missing the point of multi scale. It's an option on the Anti lead set IF you don't want extremespeed. Remember its an egg move which means you won't get both. (Though mabye they'll put egg moves on Dream World pokemon. I really hope so.)

Also Multi scale is much better on the bulkyDD set where it can utilise Roost to its fullest and really on any set that can utilise roost.

Edit: Serebii just released abilities and names for new attacks. Apparentally Windstorm (Which I think is a much cooler name) is called Gale and it's special ability (Which is not nearly as useful) may confuse opponents.

Also for all you troll name luvers your disapointment begins now. Serebii has called the attack sing-a-round which still sounds a little trolly to me. lol

Could you post the link to the attack listing? Because I couldn't find it, and I was sure I'd seen somewhere that Windstorm did have the weather accuracy thing going. Also, could it be possible that it's unlisted in the effect, but still happens? Like thunder in rain?

@Corrupted

FINALLY!!! Someone get's that multi scale is useful on the BulkyDD set.

@TheMrBassDude

No Extremespeed is +2 priorty this gen.

http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/149.shtml
I read it here. Dragonite's last attack, the 120 base special flying move, is actually called gale and it has a confusion effect. Also if you go down to tm 48 you'll see that troll is called sing-a-round.

@Arch

I read on serebii that the attack is actually called gale and has a chance to confuse. I hope smogon is right on this one. It would just be so much better.

That's what I hope for to. Then we'll have a true Flying Thunder/Fire Blast/Solarbeam except with an awesome confusion effect.

Theorymon: Do you think Dragonite can make use of T-wave and Gale's confusion effect to make a psuedo Parafusion set?

Windstorm and Gale are two different attacks....aren't they?
Windstorm's accuracy is increased during the weather.

I mistook DNite's last moveslot with that. Eh, info is still changing.
Regardless, Gale is arguably the most useful flying type move up till now.

I wouldn't think they'd be two different attacks, unless one was special and the other physical. i can't see GF prgramming in two different 120 BP 70 acc. special Flying attacks

No Arch. People mistook Windstorm for Gale. I think that Like thunder Gale's accuracy will increase with weather.

Dragonite's lv 81 move [M542]

This is where people on smogon would look up the 5th gen moves. https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...taU1hNXJUMTJncFE&authkey=CITunaYG&hl=en#gid=0

This is where I saw gale. Check level 81 on dragonite.
http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/149.shtml

I'm not sure if Gale will have a secondary ability to increase its accuracy in the weather but I say it will.

I edited the op with information of new moves and information on Gale if anyone's interested.

Multiscale will be helpful on the Bulky DD set, since you can Roost against Ice Beams and actually gain enough health back to survive another hit while you boost up. Swampert is one example of something you could set up on with Multiscale and not with Inner Focus. Support versions will probably appreciate it, too. Also, Dragonite might be able to survive attacks from faster Dragons and KO them back. Of course, we don't know what else is out there to stop Dragonite this gen, so it remains to be seen if this ability will make much of an impact. Depends how easy it is to get Dragonite in at full health, I guess.

Aqua Jet is garbage, since a resisted Extremespeed does the same as a neutral Aqua Jet and a neutral Extremespeed does the same as a super effective Aqua Jet. Don't even say Shanderaa, who you can hit with Earthquake. If you want Water coverage, use Aqua Tail.

Toxic / Dragon Claw / Roost / Sub/EQ

Roost to full health as the opponant dies to toxic, combat the new opponant with Multiscale active again :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)