Battle Tree Discussion and Records

Hello, First time posting. Ever since the release of this game, I've been trying many teams out in an effort to get past 90 wins and make it here. I haven't lost yet, but my team is currently at 100 wins and continuing to climb! Because I have been trying so hard, I wanted to post my team and share my achievement. So without further ado, I give you all, my team!

Garchomp @ Assault vest
Ability: Sand veil
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 speed
Adamant Nature
IVs: x/x/x/x/x/x
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- bulldoze
- dragon claw

Garchomp was my main damage from the front line. In my previous teams he kept getting killed by random water pokemon with blizzard or ice beam, or lickilicky or the many other pokemon the battle tree has who like to ignore STAB and use ice moves to eliminate him. Then I realized I could give him assault vest, and now he lives every ice attack besides stab. Typical use involves spamming earthquake when neither enemy pokemon is flying, and using dragon claw to pick off dragon types and take out other flying pokemon. Rock slide provides some coverage for flying pokemon and for flinch hax next to togekiss, but rock slide does tend to miss when you need it most so I tried not to rely on it.

Togekiss @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpAtk / enough speed EVs to reach 105, and the rest in HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 31/31/31/31/31/31
- Follow Me
- Encore
- Air Slash
- Tailwind

Togekiss is by far my favorite pokemon on this team. It provided some much needed protection for garchomp. An interesting side effect of the AI is that if they had a dragon pokemon, they would always spam it into garchomp regardless of how many times I used follow me, and neutralized it. Dragon claw's mediocre attack in that case doesn't matter when latios continually draco meteors or dragon claws into togekiss. tailwind + encore allowed me to punish fake out users, protect users, and most setup sweepers. The only setup move I worried about was double team. It also caught all the terrain and weather setters as well. Air slash is for the damage, and the flinches, and tailwind allowed my backup pokemon to outspeed every pokemon on the field.

Metagross @ metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Brick Break
- Zen Headbutt

This pokemon was my second damage dealer, and synergized well with the coverage of garchomp, and appreciated togekiss' support moves. Pretty straightforward, Prioritizing iron head and brick break because they don't miss. I got inspired to use this pokemon watching a video of mega gallade next to togekiss, and realized mega metagross could provide that same incredible single target damage that togekiss sorely needed. I also greatly appreciated the added bulk metagross takes to the table.

Rotom-Wash @ Waterium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Will O Wisp
- Discharge
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

I had tried this team many times with a different 4th pokemon and none seemed to work. Adding rotom wash provided a second pokemon for garchomp to EQ next to, while also adding the crucial water/thunder coverage this team needed to deal with rock types, flying types, and water types. Also having a discharge/earthquake combo is very sweet. Rotom gets waterium z to increase hydro pump's accuracy and provide a beautiful single target nuke. Will o wisp is for stall pokemon, and for physical attackers that aren't threatened by whatever pokemon I have in the lategame.

My team doesn't have very good IVs on two pokemon, but hopefully soon I'll fix that. Togekiss was EV'd for 105 speed because rotom reached 104 speed.

My battle video for battle 100 is: U4FG-WWWW-WWW8-S7V9
Loss at 107: WSAG-WWWW-WWW8-SDP9

Last edited:
It's been said, but you're misunderstanding probability -- and perhaps don't realize that your video and suggested test precisely fit under "anecdotal evidence".

QC activating 3 times in a row occurs once per 125 battles on average. It's actually more unlikely that an event of this probability doesn't occur once during your leaderboard streak. You'd need to record the outcome of all RNG-based events across a meaningful number of battles (1 is not meaningful) and compare this data against the expected probabilities. Which is not quite as easy to test, but excellent results tend to require some work.
No, please read again. I gave my own anecdotal example and specifcally suggested ways that we can empirically test whether the AI indulges in RNG manipulation. Yes, it will take some effort. Basically, keep on entering and exiting the tree until you encounter an opponent with Quick Claw, then stall for as long as you can until the opponent runs out of PP while recording all Quick Claw activations and non-activations. Record the battle for verification, then retry until enough data for statistical significance has been obtained. I am not sure what the exact number of turns are required for that, but we don't need to run inferential statistics, even just a descriptive statistics of number of times over 100 turns that Quick Claw has been activated should shed some light on things. Then replicate if necessary. Basically using the scientific method to falsify/verify the assumptions that the AI manipulates RNG instead of just relying on personal beliefs. It will at least be an interesting project.

No, please read again. I gave my own anecdotal example and specifcally suggested ways that we can empirically test whether the AI indulges in RNG manipulation. Yes, it will take some effort. Basically, keep on entering and exiting the tree until you encounter an opponent with Quick Claw, then stall for as long as you can until the opponent runs out of PP while recording all Quick Claw activations and non-activations. Record the battle for verification, then retry until enough data for statistical significance has been obtained. I am not sure what the exact number of turns are required for that, but we don't need to run inferential statistics, even just a descriptive statistics of number of times over 100 turns that Quick Claw has been activated should shed some light on things. Then replicate if necessary. Basically using the scientific method to falsify/verify the assumptions that the AI manipulates RNG instead of just relying on personal beliefs. It will at least be an interesting project.
According to my calculations, it would take somewhere between 69 and 420 turns to be statistically significant. I don't think it would be informative if anyone else tested it though because it could very well be the case that GameFreak decided that messing with the Battle Tree RNG wasn't enough and went even further by messing with the RNG differently for every single player; maybe you got a version with extra hax on it or something.

A more reliable strategy is to use type immunity for switching to get around a lot of status move or quick claw problems.
A reliable pokemon team that can circumvant those issues around is a good team.

Try to treat them almost as if they are 100%, then your strategy will be a lot better.

Oh, and here is a streak of 98 in Super Doubles. Added another Mega Pokemon to my list. Same team same set all throughout. Lost a bunch of times against early teams before it was better optimized.

Bulu's Herbal Shop

EAT GRASS. That's what this team is about. Blitz them with lots of grass to the face. Everything about this team is about coming right out and hitting hard, hitting fast. No fancy tricks, just grass up the ass! Two Grass Terrain boosted leads both having their most powerful Grass attacks means a big tree is coming down on you, and there's no escape! The tree guys are essentially suicide leads trying their best to kill as many guys as they can before the other guys come in to mop it up.

Sceptile @ Sceptilite

Ability: Overgrow ---> Lightning Rod
EVs: 4 Hp / 252 SpA / 252 Sp
Modest Nature
- Energy Ball
- Leaf Storm
- Focus Blast
- Protect

The #1 customer in Bulu's shop. When green stuff is everywhere, Mega Sceptile's happiness just goes through the roof! Note that since I don't have ORAS, I don't have access to Dragon Pulse, meaning this team is technically incomplete. And for that reason, Dragons give this team some trouble. If Mega Sceptile has that move, then I will probably replace Focus Blast with it, then Dragons will be one of the easiest match-ups since Mega Sceptile outspeeds most (all?) of them. Originally I had tested Grass Knot and Giga Drain, but then I found the combination of Energy Ball and Leaf Storm has the widest range of good match-ups. Energy Ball is used against weaker defensive Pokemon and ones that are weak to Grass, while Leaf Storm pretty much destroys everything that doesn't resist Grass, at a cost of course. Focus Blast is there because Sceptile's special moveset is just that bad...so it's basically a filler. A neutral Leaf Storm will do more damage than a SE Focus Blast, so Focus Blast's real only use is against Steel types and for prayers. I was also pleasantly surprised that Mega Sceptile has his own animation on Leaf Storm, check it out! And lol at everything that thought it could Thunder Wave me.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Grass Surge
EVs: 34 Hp / 252 Atk / 222 Sp
Impish Nature (should really be Jolly nature)
- Wood Hammer
- Superpower
- Megahorn
- Stone Edge

Bulu is just a really cool guy. He comes in, puts green stuff everywhere, Mega Sceptile gets high, Heatran gets to chill the hell out from earthquakes, then he smashes your face in with a giant hammer. Check it, all his attacks have a power of at least 100. Sure they miss a lot, but its YOLO or GTFO. This team ain't about finesse. Wood Hammer is like Leaf Storm, if the Pokemon doesn't resist grass or is a puss with a sash, chances are it's dead. Superpower bashes in those annoying Steel guys. Megahorn is there against opposing tree loving hippies. Stone Edge is necessary because it gets rid of annoying birds. Sure Rock Slide is safer and can flinch, but that ain't what this team is about.

Greninja @ Waterium Z
Ability: Protean
Timid Nature
- Hydro Cannon
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Protect
When you are running a business, you need good delivery boys that can be anything you want them to be, Greninja fits that bill. None of the other guys are very good at killing fire. Greninja can kill fire really really well. Hydro Cannon for maximum Hydro Vortex lets my boy come in for the murder right away. Extrasensory is here because my leads really REALLY hate Poison, and here comes the punishment. Ice Beam because die Mega Salamence die thanks of that no ORAS thing.... Finally, Protect turns it into a normal type, suckah! Greninja here rarely gets switched in, but comes in when one of my hippies dies. That makes him a revenge killer? Fitting for the ninja boy!

Heatran @ Life Orb

Ability: Flash Fire
Serious Nature (should be Timid...)
- Flamethrower
- Flash Cannon
- Dark Pulse
- Protect
You know what tree huggers need? A steel lighter. Heatran solves so many of the team's weaknesses when she does her switch in (on?) thing. Incoming fire? Nope, now get destroyed. Aww... Bulu has double weakness to poison! Heatran says "I got this." And Bulu says, "Thanks and here's some extra protection from Earthquake and some healing herb for the Life Orb burn!" Teamwork man. Oh, and both my leads hate Ice with a passion. Heatran will melt that jazz. Flamethrower over Fire Blast because I realized Life Orb Flamethrower still hits pretty hard. Flash Cannon is, I don't know, for STAB? Dark Pulse because that's the only decent attack left since the grass would sack Earth Power's...power. It's still good to have an answer for Ghost.

Threats:
- Blizzard: Eric Cartman, "Die hippies!" Well, any Ice users get double grass slaps to the face from the get-go without prejudice.

- Mega Salamence: Blame on not having ORAS, but as it currently stands, Intimidate makes Bulu too weak to 2HKO with stone, and even Heatran will take lots of damage when switched in. When the team is completed with Dragon Pulse, this will be a non-issue.

- Poison: Even worse than Ice since they RESIST ME! Have to switch into the Heatran while focusing on the other guy and hope for the best. I hate Plumeria. She made me realize I have to rebreed my Greninja from Modest to Timid to outspeed Salazzle :(

- Trick Room: All Trick Room users require immediate highest grass powered smash. Bronzong is not cool to this team. My team DOES NOT like to be slow.

Videos:
Battle 50, Legend Battle against Blue
Lots of fireworks in this battle. Many OHKOs from both side. We were competing to see who can bash whose face harder.
WGHW-WWWW-WWWW8-S6QR

Battle 88: Hippies vs Legendaries
Look kid, I don't know how you obtained those Legendaries, but you sure don't have the skills to use them! Basically Bulu is throwing rocks at Instinct and Mystic birdies and missing, and Mega Sceptile is showing them their resistances ain't worth crap. Kid got smashed. Sorry.
KQ4W-WWWW-WWW8-S6RK

Battle 99: Losing battle
Basically lots of miscalculation on my part. Attacks that I thought would KO did not. How that ice cream thing survived the blast I do not know. Then the Metacross that I've KO'ed so many times before with the same attack survived this time and made me regret. Finally, and the final battle proves fat > ugly.
U3MW-WWWW-WWWW8-S6RP

Overall, I am very satisfied with the streak. I wish I could reach 100, but oh well what can you do. My assessment of Mega Sceptile is that it is a very narrow niche Pokemon and this is basically the only kind of team it can excel in. But within this niche, he is one of the very best fast grass sweepers. The videos I posted are representative of how fast this team plays. Battles rarely last more than 5 turns. Definitely the most fun team I've used.

According to my calculations, it would take somewhere between 69 and 420 turns to be statistically significant. I don't think it would be informative if anyone else tested it though because it could very well be the case that GameFreak decided that messing with the Battle Tree RNG wasn't enough and went even further by messing with the RNG differently for every single player; maybe you got a version with extra hax on it or something.
The snark is strong with this one. Tune it down bro, you are trying too hard to be the cool kid on this board.
A more reliable strategy is to use type immunity for switching to get around a lot of status move or quick claw problems.
A reliable pokemon team that can circumvant those issues around is a good team.

Try to treat them almost as if they are 100%, then your strategy will be a lot better.
I am not talking about them being a problem, more about "for science" knowledge is power.

On that note, Stomping Tantrum is also not weakened by Grassy Terrain (personally verified it as I run it on Marowak, as well).

Pencilcheck only mythicals (read: event only), Deoxys, Mewtwo and cover legendaryes are banned: every other legendary is available to both players and AI, including Lati, Lake Guardians, Kanto Birds, etc.

On that note, Stomping Tantrum is also not weakened by Grassy Terrain (personally verified it as I run it on Marowak, as well).
Curious as to where you find the room on Marowak for that move. While the attack boost isn't terribly difficult to get one way or another, I found it hard to justify over something like Bonemerang.

I had further moveslot issues when I remembered Marowak gets Low Kick through tutoring and still wanted Protect somewhere in there. Breeding a 6th gen Cubone when UM is so close was kind of a waste, though.

Curious as to where you find the room on Marowak for that move. While the attack boost isn't terribly difficult to get one way or another, I found it hard to justify over something like Bonemerang.
Simply running Stomping Tantrum over Bonemerang because of Accuracy. Quite sure we all know how much misses can be detrimental.

The moveset I used for the streak was Shadow Bone, Flare Blitz, Stomping Tantrum and Aerial Ace. I have different option for the double team spammers now so currently in new streak attempts it's running Protect instead of the latter.

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Garchomp @ Assault vest
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- bulldoze
- dragon claw

Garchomp was my main damage from the front line. In my previous teams he kept getting killed by random water pokemon with blizzard or ice beam, or lickilicky or the many other pokemon the battle tree has who like to ignore STAB and use ice moves to eliminate him. Then I realized I could give him assault vest, and now he lives every ice attack besides stab. Typical use involves spamming earthquake when neither enemy pokemon is flying, and using dragon claw to pick off dragon types and take out other flying pokemon. Rock slide provides some coverage for flying pokemon and for flinch hax next to togekiss, but rock slide does tend to miss when you need it most so I tried not to rely on it.
Since you have Togekiss providing Tailwind support for speed control, and you generally want to just wipe foes out with EQ, isn't Bulldoze a bit redundant here? I'm sure you have other options for attacks to place in that slot.

Are stall/setup tactics generally the way to go in the Battle Tree? I'm looking at the Mega Salamence / Aegislash / Chansey team and see it uses lots of Substitute, etc.

For singles, yes. Stalling + safe setupper (be mindful of crits) is the safest way to climb singles abusing the fact that the AI is very reluctant to swap out if it can still hit your active Pokemon with at least 1 move.

You can notice that nearly all the 100+ singles streaks are essentially stall + setup combos often running the Aegi+Chansey core, or with the TruAnt combo.

Since you have Togekiss providing Tailwind support for speed control, and you generally want to just wipe foes out with EQ, isn't Bulldoze a bit redundant here? I'm sure you have other options for attacks to place in that slot.
Yes there are other options, but bulldoze did come in handy a few times when togekiss was focused down early. Most of the coverage move options that I thought about seemed redundant for coverage in their own ways. I probably would in retrospect like shadow claw here, for all the psychic legendaries.

Hello, First time posting. Ever since the release of this game, I've been trying many teams out in an effort to get past 90 wins and make it here. I haven't lost yet, but my team is currently at 100 wins and continuing to climb! Because I have been trying so hard, I wanted to post my team and share my achievement. So without further ado, I give you all, my team!

Garchomp @ Assault vest
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- bulldoze
- dragon claw

Togekiss @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SpAtk / enough speed EVs to reach 105, and the rest in HP
Modest Nature
- Follow Me
- Encore
- Air Slash
- Tailwind

Togekiss is by far my favorite pokemon on this team. It provided some much needed protection for garchomp. An interesting side effect of the AI is that if they had a dragon pokemon, they would always spam it into garchomp regardless of how many times I used follow me, and neutralized it. Dragon claw's mediocre attack in that case doesn't matter when latios continually draco meteors or dragon claws into togekiss. tailwind + encore allowed me to punish fake out users, protect users, and most setup sweepers. The only setup move I worried about was double team. It also caught all the terrain and weather setters as well. Air slash is for the damage, and the flinches, and tailwind allowed my backup pokemon to outspeed every pokemon on the field.

Metagross @ metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP
Adamant Nature
- Protect
- Iron Head
- Brick Break
- Zen Headbutt

This pokemon was my second damage dealer, and synergized well with the coverage of garchomp, and appreciated togekiss' support moves. Pretty straightforward, Prioritizing iron head and brick break because they don't miss. I got inspired to use this pokemon watching a video of mega gallade next to togekiss, and realized mega metagross could provide that same incredible single target damage that togekiss sorely needed. I also greatly appreciated the added bulk metagross takes to the table.

Rotom-Wash @ Waterium Z
EVs: 252 SpAtk / 252 HP
Modest Nature
- Will O Wisp
- Discharge
- Thunderbolt
- Hydro Pump

I had tried this team many times with a different 4th pokemon and none seemed to work. Adding rotom wash provided a second pokemon for garchomp to EQ next to, while also adding the crucial water/thunder coverage this team needed to deal with rock types, flying types, and water types. Also having a discharge/earthquake combo is very sweet. Rotom gets waterium z to increase hydro pump's accuracy and provide a beautiful single target nuke. Will o wisp is for stall pokemon, and for physical attackers that aren't threatened by whatever pokemon I have in the lategame.

My team doesn't have very good IVs on two pokemon, but hopefully soon I'll fix that. Togekiss was EV'd for 105 speed because rotom reached 104 speed.

My battle video for battle 100 is: U4FG-WWWW-WWW8-S7V9
Did you think of maybe poison jab on chomp? Would deal with fairies and grass types rather nicely.

Did you think of maybe poison jab on chomp? Would deal with fairies and grass types rather nicely.
Not on my team, just because most fairies are special, so garchomp EQ does sizeable damage to them, while dazzling gleam and moonblast can't do much in return to him. Also metagross is a solid counter. Togekiss also takes care of grass types with air slash because 252 SpAtk EVs hurts.

I know 50 wins is not a terribly big deal here in the face of ongoing 1000 win streaks, but I'd like to share anyway despite it not being leader-board eligible. This post is more an admission of defeat and resolving to try again than anything else.

So I want to make my favorite pokemon battle tree viable. My two favorites are Eevee and Sceptile, and Eevee in singles seemed a little daunting, so I built a team around Sceptile.

Mega Sceptile outspeeds SO MANY THINGS and hits very hard. Those delicious thunder waves provide some extra spice. It's coverage isn't good at all, but it gets by. it's biggest problem is one shared by many wonderful pokemon, it spontaneously shatters when the temperature drops below freezing.

I Decided this team was going to be hyper offensive, and I knew I wanted a z move user that would benefit from getting a kill. For some reason I wanted to stay away from the Ultra beasts, so I went with my favorite moxie pokemon Gyarados. Z flying seemed like a good choice to make use of gyarados's normally superfluous secondary type, so onto the team it went. I debated Dragon Dance or not, but in the end decided it necesary to have at least one boosting pokemon on the team

with these two in mind, I needed some pokemon to fill in their gaps. I finally decided on Magnezone. Being steel type it resisted fairy bug flying and ice and was imune to poison, all of Sceptile's weaknesses. Further it's own weaknesses, fire fighting and ground, were conveniently handled by Gyarados, allowing me a nice little switch in chain. Volt switch even allowed me to get some chip int he process.

I arrived at this team:

Sceptile-Mega (M) @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 6 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sturdy
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Gyarados (M) @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 6 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Earthquake

...and it sucked. I had a bit of a learning curve learning when to switch and when to just attack, discovering which pokemon surprised me with a blizzard out of nowhere (Lickylicky? Really? Blizzard/Thunder? jerk) and after about 10 attempts with this team never getting past 45 wins, three losses to a scarfed Darmanitan destroying Gyarados and Sceptile with stone edge after I had lost magnezone, and the revelation that meeting a charizard was a 50-50 on flamethrower or air slash I didn't want to ever have to deal with again, I decided to use a little cheese.

I already had a multiscale dragon dance dragonite ready to go, so I scrounged around my boxes a little to see what else might be fun. I arrived at this delightful little combo:

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 226 HP / 252 Atk / 12 Def / 12 SpD / 6 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Lightning Rod
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain

This team felt WAY better. I considered dragon claw over outrage many times, but in the end decided the lum berry dealt with the confusion and that the raw power was very much worth it. playing it was super easy too. Is it an ice type? If yes, switch. If no, Dance dance, we're falling apart at half... sorry. Sweep.

z belly drum + priority was a godsend. Survive a hit and get a belly drum off guaranteed and then destroy the enemy despite your slow speed. being outsped became a positive when it meant you had to survive a hit a full health instead of at half health. I will likely try this team again with a 0 speed iv'd brave Azumaril

However Sceptile didn't provide any important synergy to this team. True it sopped up grass and electric hits Azumarill didn't care to take, but without it's lighting rod already active on switch it still didn't appreciate being brought in. It did provide special attack when the rest of the team was physical, but it remained an afterthought on the team. This team also featured two quad ice weaknesses, and the same bolt/beam combo destroyed it. After a few more attempts with this team I decided to switch tactics yet again. But in doing so, I sold my soul.

Tapu Fini @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Kartana @ Focus Sash
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Smart Strike
- Sacred Sword

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Fire Punch

Yes, not only did I drop sceptile, but I also took on a pokemon with, *shudder* DEFENSIVE INVESTMENT *wince* What next, try Toxapex? A Chansey? All joking aside, games weren't as fun with a much slower lead, but it was very very effective. It took me several turns to set up OKO's, but I could take so much punishment while doing so. And of course, misty terrain solves so many problems

As good as fini is, Kartana was the true revelation. between it's titanic attack stat, beast boost, its focus sash and it's never miss atack Kartana is everything I ever wanted out of an attacker. I just wish it could be a tiny bit faster. Further, it resists electric grass and poison that give Fini trouble.

Finally, Dragonite laughs at fighting and fire moves and can still reverse sweep teams that being super fast nukes that take out my first two.

But I've realized without any benefit of repeated switches, this team isn't so much a cohesive whole as a loosly correlated series of threats. But the threats are potent enough that it got me to 50 wins on the very first try.

I know 50 wins is not a terribly big deal here in the face of ongoing 1000 win streaks, but I'd like to share anyway despite it not being leader-board eligible. This post is more an admission of defeat and resolving to try again than anything else.
Do not dismiss reaching 50 battles for the first times too hard.
The first step in order to learn to build proper team comps is to consistently reach 50.
Reaching 50 on your own for the first times is the first step toward the 1000 streak ;)

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Hey guys, just leaving this here for posterity.

LECHMERE

For those curious, the team is based off of this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lechmere

I was also inspired by SadisticMystic creating a Rotom Squad QR team, for funsies. I'll let him post the code for that if he feels like it.

So yeah, I'm going the Rotom Squad route. As of now, this will be a Maison-based project--something to toy around with in Mock Battle. I am also thinking of starting a streak where I use some established Triples teams (as well as a couple of my own creations) and replace one member with each Rotom, switching teams every fifty battles. In fact, I've already started this latter idea, using a hastily-assembled Mass Hyper Voice team (an idea I shamelessly stole from paperquagsire ) and replacing the usual Aurorus with Rotom-Frost.

However, I am placing the Rotoms I have created here, as with the extremely limited play Rotom has gotten on this thread to this point, there is always the potential for me to bring these sets over, tweak them or use them as breeding bases, and try to make Rotom work in Tree Doubles. All of these sets are based off of those found on Serebii's POTW Gen V entries for Rotom, with a few tweaks here and there. All of these are Bold-natured, as I find this to be the best catch-all Nature for this species when you can't decide on the perfect Natures for different Formes and sets...also, I'm lazy to breed for various Natures when my best Rotom with good IVs is Timid. Ability is always Levitate, of course. All are also 31/xx/31/31/31/31 IVs, would produce HP [Dragon].

With that in mind:

ComplexJadow (Rotom) (Lvl.64) @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
- Discharge
- Shadow Ball
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Basic ResTalk set; the designated Discharge user of the team; item is dependent on whether or not Fan is on the team at the time. Nicknamed after the Elvis Costello song, "Complicated Shadows" (I watched Smokin' Aces 2 for the first time a couple of nights before beginning this project).

GnarledBroot (Rotom-Mow) (Lvl.51) @ White Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
- Pain Split
- Will-o-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm

My interpretation of whichever Mowtom set the Tree runs with White Herb; the designated T-Bolt user of the team; thanks to ReptoAbysmal's leader of his TR setter platoon, a pretty standard setter Slowbro, getting creamed by Serperior4, this set would be strictly used to replace a Grass-type on whichever preexisting team it would end up on, aiming to crush Slowthings that could potentially ruin runs by setting TR (Slowbro4/Slowking14).Nicknamed after both the Gnarled Branches in Gauntlet: Dark Legacy and the Gnarled Root in Diablo.

HotStreak (Rotom-Heat) (Lvl.51) @ Flame Orb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
- Protect
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

I have always wanted to replicate Blaine's PWT World Leaders set, so here I have something resembling it; the designated Protect user of the team (due to the prevalence of Surf/Rock Slide/Mold Breaker Earthquake in Maison & Tree); the general thrust of this set is also due to the Hidden Power not being one of the recommended ones from the POTW Choice set. Nicknamed after the Static Shock villain.

LaBruja (Rotom-Fan) (Lvl.50) @ Leftovers/Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 200 SAtk / 56 Spe
- Thunder Wave
- Confuse Ray
- Air Slash
- Toxic

Probably the most-Singles-oriented member of the team, I'm sure I could/should fit Substitue in here somewhere; the designated "no Electric STAB" member of the team; I'm not completely sold on Lefties when ComplexJadow seems to need it about as much, so Sitrus is a sometimes choice. Nicknamed after the hip-hop artist.

kulakitsune (Rotom-Frost) (Lvl.50) @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Charge Beam
- Blizzard

Simple screen setter; due to it being defensively-oriented, I felt I could dick around with its non-screen attacks a bit, hence it being the designated Charge Beam user of the team; also, at one point this project was going to be a re-creation of the Tree's Set 1s, most of whom use Charge Beam. Nicknamed after kuladiamond & frigidkitsune ,two contemporaries of mine in the Maison thread (and in the case of the latter, someone I still need to catch up to...); I'm also terrified that the former will come roaring back at some point on this leaderboard, after I passed by her in Maison Triples, and blow by me in Tree Doubles...

LGWaveForce2 (Rotom-Wash) (Lvl.51) @ Choice Scarf/Choice Specs/Iron Ball/Ring Target/Lagging Tail
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
- Trick
- Dark Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Standard Choice set, y'all know what it is with this thing; the preferred item is Scarf, but is flexible dependent on what team this ends up on. Nicknamed after the Timid version of this set that I brought into Spooky Cup a while back, when I actually cared about online competitions; originally nicknamed after my washer at home.

Something to think about for the future, basically.

Last edited:
I was also inspired by SadisticMystic creating a Rotom Squad QR team, for funsies. I'll let him post the code for that if he feels like it.
Team Rotomnipotence
Asmodeus X (Rotom) @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 SpA / 6 SpD / 252 Spe
- Trick
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

Cookwhere (Rotom-Heat) @ Light Clay
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 134 SpD
- Will-O-Wisp
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Overheat

Fridgeback (Rotom-Frost) @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
EVs: 196 HP / 166 SpA / 148 Spe
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Trick
- Spite

Laundream (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Sassy Nature
EVs: 252 HP / 70 Def / 188 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Substitute

Mowtown (Rotom-Mow) @ Grassium Z
Modest Nature
EVs: 12 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 14 SpD / 228 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Blowviate (Rotom-Fan) @ Air Balloon
Bold Nature
EVs: 236 HP / 204 Def / 4 SpA / 62 SpD / 4 Spe
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Foul Play
- Swagger

GnarledBroot (Rotom-Mow) (Lvl.51) @ White Herb
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
- Pain Split
- Will-o-Wisp
- Thunderbolt
- Leaf Storm

My interpretation of whichever Mowtom set the Tree runs with White Herb; the designated T-Bolt user of the team; thanks to ReptoAbysmal's leader of his TR setter platoon, a pretty standard setter Slowbro, getting creamed by Serperior4, this set would be strictly used to replace a Grass-type on whichever preexisting team it would end up on, aiming to crush Slowthings that could potentially ruin runs by setting TR (Slowbro4/Slowking14).Nicknamed after both the Gnarled Branches in Gauntlet: Dark Legacy and the Gnarled Root in Diablo.
*PTSD violently intensifies*

So, 20 hours and about 900 eggs later I finally got that shiny Ralts... Now I need to team build around it, since Mega-Gardevoir is my sons choice of mega for our Super Multi Battles run when he finishes Moon.

So far I was thinking of Mega-Blastoise to lead beside it, Fake Out/Icy Wind/Aura Sphere (or Dark Pulse) /Scald. Fake Out lets Mega-Gardevoir either get off a fairly free Hyper Voice turn one, or possibly sub up. Turn two Gard can Protect while Blastoise throws out an Icy Wind, if needed. Scald probably the preferred water STAB on Blastoise to fish for burns on physical attackers Gard fears (as well as putting the hurt on Fire types who may not be that threatened by Gard). Last move either Aura Sphere for Steel and Dark types, or possibly Dark Pulse for Ghost coverage, but I'm probably leaning towards Aura Sphere because it's always nice to have a never-miss move in the tree. Sadly I don't have access to a Follow Me Blastoise, else I'd probably run that.

In the back on my side perhaps Groundium-Z Landorus-T, brings Intimidate which Gard appreciates, switches in freely on electric attacks aimed at Blastoise, covers Fire/Poison/Steel. As an aside, I'm guessing both sides can run Z moves in Super Multis?

Not sure who should be in the back on Gards side, Bisharp has nice switching synergy, but I'm not sure it brings much else to the table for the team. Heatran maybe?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)