Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 Def

Moves:
Dark Pulse
Rock Slide
Flamethrower
Thunderbolt

Comments:
Wasn't expecting this to do as well as it did. SD mimikyu easily sweeps teams by itself, tried and true. Lucario and T-tar are the backup plans for stuff mimikyu can't kill. I might rebreed T-Tar and try Naive. I like the fact that the AI expects physical sets from Lucario and T-tar and they're burn proof. I'm also not completely set on the movepool for T-Tar. I'm open to suggestions. I'm like 95% sure dark pulse and rock slide are correct, and flamethrower and thunderbolt have been super useful, but I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Got a streak of 51 with an interesting team.

Hawlucha (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 100 SpD / 108 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Entrainment
- Helping Hand
- Endeavor

This Hawlucha was planned as a support, give regigigas Unburden to lose slow start and hit as hard as possible. I don't know what I was thinking with this ev spread to be honest.

Notable Speed Benchmarks:
Outspeeds Regigigas by one.
Outspeeds scarf Aerodactyl (W/Unburden)

Regigigas @ Normal Gem
Ability: Slow Start
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 244 Spe (Bottle Capped)
Adamant Nature
- Crush Grip
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

The star of the team. Crush Grip with Normal Gem knocks out soo many Pokemon in battle tree. The spread isn't 100% optimal. The plan was outspeed scarf Aerodactyl so I went for minimum (probably explains weird ev spread for Hawlucha)

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 20 Def / 228 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

This Tapu Lele I used for VGC 2017, nothing really special. I sadly don't remember the ev spread explanation. It's a Z-move user that just destroys opponents

Heatmor (F) @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 12 Atk / 124 Def / 12 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Careful Nature
- Fire Lash
- Incinerate
- Recycle
- Stockpile

I wanted to try Heatmor and it's signature Move, it worked wonders as a tank. Incinerate was to burn berries,but I never used it for that, Knock Off would probably be a better option for that move slot.
To be honest, with the ev spread, I tossed numbers together and called it good. I just wanted to try Heatmor.

Comments: This team was fun. It started as a random thought with Regigigas and I finally got the passionate pose (which I was aiming for)

5AVW-WWWW-WWW8-THL8
Against Blue

Reporting a streak of 96 wins in Super Singles.

Team:

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 HP / 188 Atk / 68 Spe
Adamant Nature
IVs: 18 SpA
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance
- Roost

Non-Mega: 185/140/98/110/105/129
Mega: 185/191/131/129/105129

The main sweeper of this team and the lead. Getting up a Dragon Dance or two can sometimes just win games by itself. Flare Blitz and Dragon Claw are obvious STAB choices. Fire Punch is an option, but having the extra damage makes it so that less boosts are needed to get a KO, even if it means taking recoil. Plus, Flare Blitz can also help ignore any potential freezes that can happen on a switch-in. Roost is so that there is a reliable recovery, especially while Mega. Using Roost is a little scarier when not Mega'd, as you lose out on getting extra resistances that can otherwise greatly reduce the damage taken.

The EV spread is relatively simple, with just max HP for bulk and enough Speed to get into the closest empty speed tier for Charizard. Everything else is then dumped into Attack for more damage. Adamant for more power, since outspeeding things isn't entirely necessary, and Dragon Dance fixes that problem. At +2 Speed, Charizard also speed ties with Manectric4, which is the Choice Scarf variant. 3 boosts are usually enough to sweep through entire teams by itself. Blaze is just so I don't have to worry about taking damage when the sun is up when not Mega'd, which is extremely important for opponents like Heatran3.

It is worth noting that it is sometimes worth not Mega evolving instantly. By not Mega Evolving Turn 1, key resistances like Fighting and Ground are still available, which makes switching in much safer for Charizard. The extra physical bulk gained from Mega Evolving is typically doesn't make a big difference, when compared to normal Charizard, as Charizard should just about never be switched into neutral hits anyways, as it is not the bulkiest thing. It only has enough bulk to set itself up, most of the time.

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ability: Marvel Scale
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 2 Atk
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Toxic
- Recover

202/59/107/120/187/101

The special wall of the team and often the switch-in for Ferrothorn. Scald is for STAB and burn chances, although I never really got any important ones on my run. Ice Beam is for coverage and random freezes that can make openings for Recover or potentially safe switch-ins for better matchups. Toxic lets me break down any walls much faster and have a way around evasion, as long as I hit it initially. Recover keeps Milotic healthy to take the many hits it needs to take in battle.

EV spread is made to maximize bulk while making Milotic be able to take both physical and special hits well, but with more focus on the special side. Max HP is for overall bulk, and the Special Defense EVs hit a point where 2 stat points are gained for 8 EVs. Everything else is dumped into Defense to take physical attacks better. While Milotic does speed tie with a few Pokemon with the lack of investment, it does outspeed the massive base 80 speed tier, so I accepted a few speed ties to keep Milotic very bulky. Plus, it takes 44 Speed EVs to get into an empty speed tier, which is way too many away from bulk. Leftovers for the passive recovery so I can spend more time attacking. Marvel Scale also improves Milotic's physical bulk when statused, which seemed way more common than getting a Competitive boost.

Milotic's main jobs are to switch into Fire type moves aimed at Ferrothorn and to break down and stall extremely bulky threats that are difficult to blow past with an unboosted Charizard.

Ferrothorn @ Zoom Lens
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 228 Def / 28 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 22 SpA / 0 Spe
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Protect

181/114/198/70/140/22

The physical wall of the team and main switch-in for Charizard. Power Whip is for a really strong STAB move, and alongside Gyro Ball, Ferrothorn can hit many things for some decent damage. Leech Seed improves how long Ferrothorn can stay on the field, as well as helping out the rest of the team, mainly Milotic, with the extra passive recovery. Acts a lot like Milotic's Toxic, but slightly better, in some ways. Protect lets Ferrothorn have some extra recovery from Leech Seed and lets me scout out sets so I can make safer plays.

The EV spread is very similar to Milotic, with max HP and enough defense to gain 2 stat points for 8 EVs. Everything else is then dumped into Special Defense, for extra bulk that Ferrothorn can use. Zoom Lens is a really great item for Ferrothorn, especially with minimum speed. Only 3 Pokemon sets are potentially slower than Ferrothorn, making the accuracy boost almost a guarantee. It makes Power Whip and Leech Seed much safer, much more than it would normally be. Thanks to aussieman000 on the Maison thread that used this, as I probably wouldn't have known about this great item for Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn makes matchups against Fairy and Water types much easier, as well as keeping Charizard safe from any Rock type moves by having the resistance and bulk to take moves aimed at Charizard.

Threats (As a Lead):

Most Dragon Types: I didn't run into very many issues with Dragon types in my run, but they resist the Fire/Grass/Water parts of my team can can take out Charizard. It's mostly the coverage moves that they can carry that can go through my team. I've gotten into situations where I stall out Draco Meteor enough so that they are at -6, so I can stay safe against the other moves. Ice Beam or a boosted Charizard can beat them though, if they are in the back.

Trick Room: Annoying, but mostly tolerable. Ferrothorn outspeeds all Trick Room users under Trick Room, and many of them are damaged heavily by STAB moves or stalled out by Leech Seed.

Gardevoir3 (Mega Gardevoir): Surprisingly annoying. Does over 50% to my whole entire team and outspeeds it. At the moment, if it is a lead, Charizard doesn't Mega Evolve (although doing so or not doesn't really change anything, on second look) and uses Dragon Dance, then Megas and OHKOs Gardevoir with Flare Blitz. Otherwise, if Charizard isn't already boosted, I try to get myself in a situation where Ferrothorn switches into a Hyper Beam, giving me the opening to OHKO it back with Gyro Ball, or Toxic stalling and spamming Recover.

(Physical) Fighting Types: So many of them carry Rock Slide, threatening Charizard, and their Fighting STABs can punch through the rest of my team, with weaknesses or lesser physical bulk. The play around them really depends on what Pokemon and set it is, and how well Ferrothorn or Milotic can take a Fighting type move (potentially 2 for Milotic).

Toxicroak (Mainly Set 3): I ran into quite a few of these in my run, and I never liked facing them. Setup isn't very safe against them due to the chance to Poison, and Milotic suffers from the same fate. Focus Blast from Set 3 hurts Ferrothorn badly, so Leech Seed can't be used to break Sash. Toxic is also useless, and Dry Skin means I can't Scald for a Burn. Toxicroak3's Dark Pulse means flinches, and Shadow Ball means Special Defense drops, all potentially lethal. Taunt from Set 4 is annoying, but not the worse as the status moves I have aren't too useful against Toxicroak.

Breloom (Mainly Set 3): The status moves I carry can't safely touch Breloom. Poison Heal is annoying to potentially play against, making Toxic unsafe, as well as being immune to Leech Seed naturally. Spore is always annoying to play against, as Ferrothorn can only stay in for the turn it uses Spore before getting hurt by something. Set 3 also carries a super effective move for each member of my team, so I can't set up on it due to Rock Slide. Focus Punch is really bad against Ferrothorn, but Ferrothorn can't do anything but attack Breloom, so it lessens it's effectiveness. Ferrothorn has to fear the switch in however, and can't switch out once in so nothing has to take a Focus Punch. Sash just makes it all worse, as Charizard can't just blow past it if it isn't a lead and probably gets put to Sleep.

Tentacruel: Cannot be safely, 100% stalled against. Liquid Ooze means Leech Seed isn't safe, it's naturally immune to Toxic, and Burn does nothing against Sets 1 and 4. Sash on Set 3 is pretty bad, as I can't break it safely without risking Poison, Freeze, or just lots of damage. Potentially one of the worst leads I can start off against.

Heatran (Mainly Set 3): The other sets aren't so bad, as they are relatively predictable and Milotic can beat most of them. However, Set 3 scares off Milotic, and Earth Power means Charizard can't Mega Evolve, just so the rest of the team doesn't have to take an Earth Power. The game plan I've figured out against it is to PP stall Fire Blast with switches between Ferrothorn and Charizard, then set up Charizard to where it can take out Heatran with a Dragon Claw after Mega Evolving, all before Solar Beam runs out of PP so it can't Earth Power on a Roost.

Terrakion: Terrakion can easily rip through my team if it is not Set 2. Milotic typically can't take two attacks from it, and Ferrothorn and Charizard can't take it's STAB moves. Set 3 can punish my switching with Swords Dance, and is probably my worst matchup. Thankfully I never faced that specific Terrakion in my run.

Team Problems:

The team is a little bit weak in power if I can't get Charizard boosted. However, besides a few changes in EVs on the team, mainly Milotic for the time being, I can't see any problems or bad matchups with the team that I haven't already listed.

Battles:

Battle 60: UQ5W-WWWW-WWW7-Q5TP
Pokemon Trainer Guzma (Toxicroak3 / Honchkrow[3,4] / Golisipod3)

I played with way too much fear for Toxicroak3, which it ended up being. The Turn 1 Poison really hurt, as I couldn't safely stall away to be at a decent health. I also forgot that Mega Evolving meant that Focus Blast starts doing more damage, so the Ferrothorn switch was a terrible option. I eventually stalled out the Focus Blasts with Milotic, barely. Dark Pulse flinching was scary, as well as the Special Defense drop, but thankfully I had enough room to take another hit and Recover, then alternate between Recover and Ice Beam.

Golisipod comes in though, and without Ferrothorn, it gets pretty scary. Thankfully, it can't do more than 50% to Milotic besides with First Impression, so I could stall it out with Toxic until Emergency Exit activated. Quick Claw was scary, but it never came up at a time when I was in immediate danger. I ended up sacrificing Ferrothorn to I think reset the Special Defense drop on Milotic, but it also gave me a free switch into Charizard, so Honchkrow wasn't an issue. Game ends with me just stalling out Golisipod further for the win. Really, just bad plays and not remembering about the loss of a Fighting resistance on Charizard.

Battle 69: HRPG-WWWW-WWW7-Q5UA
Cook Larry (Gourgeist4 / Clawitzer3 / Gyarados3)

Rock Slide is scary, and I don't know why I didn't consider Seed Bomb coming into Milotic. Nor do I remember why I switched out Ferrothorn on the second Phantom Force, maybe due to the lack of recovery. Thankfully, it takes itself down enough from Life Orb recoil so I can finish it off with Charizard. However, I'm forced to switch again to scout out Clawitzer, which is thankfully the physical variant. Leech Seed and Protect gets me through Clawitzer. Gyarados confused me. I try to catch the potential Earthquake with Charizard, but it uses Dragon Dance instead, so I have to double back into Ferothorn to take the Waterfall. I'm not too sure about the Dragon Dance at the moment, but it may be something similar to Battle 75.

Battle 75: FCPW-WWWW-WWW7-Q5UP
Punk Guy Etta (Staraptor3 / Arcanine4 / Gyarados4)

Staraptor could potentially nuke Charizard, so Ferrothorn comes in to sponge a hit and fire back a Gyro Ball after some Leech Seed recovery. Arcanine comes in, so the obvious switch of Milotic comes in after I figure out it is Set 4 with Protect. Arcanine burns Milotc on the switch in, which is a blessing in disguise, as I take much less damage from the pummeling of Fighting moves, letting me survive and Recover back my health before taking out Arcanine.

I don't know how much research or whatever has gone into Dragon Dance users, but the previous recorded battle and this one makes me want to say that Dragon Dance users, at least Gyarados, only goes for enough boosts to OHKO the opposing Pokemon from the health it is at. It went for only one boost against Milotic, which was exactly enough to take out Milotic with a Crunch. Then, Ferrothorn was just out of range of an OHKO from just over half health, causing it to boost again. However, Leech Seed kept Ferrothorn just outside of a OHKO with Crunch, which gave me the opening to KO back with a Power Whip. Whether this is new information or not, I hope it becomes useful.

Battle 78: 5HCG-WWWW-WWW7-Q5V5
Cook Larry (Shiinotic4 / Breloom4 / Ribombee[3,4])

Spore is annoying to play against. That's really all this battle was, trying to not get put to sleep and hope that it wasn't a Weakness Policy, which it was. Moonlight got annoying, so I switch out to Charizard on a potential Moonlight turn and I boost up without Mega Evolving to maintain a resistance to Moonblast. Breloom is scary, but it couldn't knock out Charizard with a potential Rock Slide and I outsped it, so Spore wasn't as big of a threat. It ends up being Set 4, so it gets OHKO'd and so does Ribombee in the back.

Battle 85: 3QWW-WWWW-WWW7-Q5VH
Golfer Patrick (Volcarona[3,4] / Comfey[3,4] / Tentacruel[3,4])

I've heard of things about Volcarona continuously trying to boost up to max, and it seemed to be true, at least for me. I continue going for boosts alongside it in order to OHKO it with a Dragon Claw (even though I could do so earlier with a Flare Blitz, my damage calculator was doing some glitchy things), then sweep from there. I naturally outsped Volcarona, so I was never at threat from it unless it decided to attack me and OHKO me on a turn I boosted.

Battle 94: WXDW-WWWW-WWW7-Q5VP
Preschooler Naya (Heatran3 / Landorus[3,4] / Garchomp[3,4])

This battle was not fun at all. I did exactly what I mentioned in my threats section, PP stall Fire Blast so I could boost Charizard enough to OHKO Heatran, then sweep. I did not enjoy this battle, as I had come up with that on the fly and I didn't even count Solar Beam PP, so an Earth Power was a sudden scary thought (even though I would outspeed).

What kind of parents are these people, leaving a little kid with such scary things?

Battle 95: 3RUW-WWWW-WWW7-Q6W6
Lass Inez (Terrakion1 / Thundurus2 / Uxie2)

Basically the previous battle, but worse. Roost is impossible because I'd die to a Close Combat, and Milotic can't come in because it gets 2HKO'd by everything it has. I end up PP stalling Close Combat so Ferrothorn can safely take it out. Thundurus is annoying with Focus Blast, but I just stall him out with Recovers. I get a lucky Freeze in to keep my health high and take out Thunudrus at no risk. Uxie then comes in, but I still have Charizard in the back, so I just try to whittle down Uxie enough with Milotic so Charizard can take it out on the free switch in later, if absolutely necessary.

Battle 97: CYDG-WWWW-WWW7-Q6WN (Loss)
Veteran Priya (Regigigas2 / Suicune[1,2] / Cobalion2)

I played pretty badly and misinformed myself. Hax also played a decent role in this as well. Thunder is fine up until I get paralyzed, so I decided to switch into Milotic to take the potential Thunder, but it uses Confuse Ray then Toxic rather than trying to do some massive damage. Thankfully, I get my own Toxic onto it, so Ferrothorn can come in, take the Thunder, and stall it out, as well as not deal with trying to attack through Confusion. Through Confusion, I get the Protect off to scout out the set, but Sacred Sword does way too much. Milotic can't effectively stall due to Toxic, and Charizard is 2HKO'd by Sacred Sword and can't outspeed it. I end up sacrificing Charizard to reset the Toxic timer, and I decide to try and freezeit to come back and win, but to no avail.

Without the Paralysis, I would have went straight for another another attack onto Regigigas, probably taking it out. Suicune would have probably come in, and Milotic can stall it out with Leech Seed, Toxic, and Recover, regardless of the set, which I had done several other times in the run. At that point, all I would need is to do is get enough damage onto Cobalion to where Flare Blitz can KO, which wouldn't be a lot, and have a free switch into Charizard.

Even with everything happening so far, I theorized a way to win after the battle, if I had Burned Cobalion instead. I would have needed a Double Protect in order to get into a range where Sacred Sword didn't take out Ferrothorn, but then I would just need another Double or even Triple Protect to repeat that. Then deal with Suicune and try to survive it's attacks with the little HP I have, get a Leech Seed off, and repeat.

Final Notes:

I like the team, but I don't think I'll be playing it too much as I prefer Doubles and Multis (the latter just slightly) over Singles. Tapu Fini or Suicune are options over Milotic as a bulky Water type, as the former helps against Fighting types and the latter has better overall bulk. However, Tapu Fini's Misty Terrain works both for and against Charizard, weakening Dragon Claw but stopping status, and neither of them have a reliable recovery. Milotic, while missing out on the status blocking, can take advantage of status effects, Toxic stall, and have a good recovery.

EV spreads will almost definitely be readjusted before another run, maybe to a more physically bulky Milotic to deal with Terrakion slightly better. Charizard could also get more bulk, but I'm not as sure if I want to sacrifice the power it has, as the team lacks it otherwise.
I used a slight different improvised tanks, namly haze toxapex and special crumbler aegislash.

I faced captain kiawe on my 10th battle (I forgot) and got destroyed by brave bird talonflame because after a DD it is still slower and it got one SD and then one shot charizard X, and 2KHO my toxapex (I thought doing haze might work but looking back maybe I should just scald).

Sad but true. I guess maybe I should've attack talonflame immediately and not setup in the first place with flare blitz or dragon claw, perhaps that will at least both die and let the other team revenge kill my team afterwards.

Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Entrainment
- Helping Hand
- Endeavor

This Hawlucha was planned as a support, give regigigas Unburden to lose slow start and hit as hard as possible. I don't know what I was thinking with this ev spread to be honest.

Regigigas @ Normal Gem
Adamant Nature
- Crush Grip
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

The star of the team. Crush Grip with Normal Gem knocks out soo many Pokemon in battle tree. The spread isn't 100% optimal. The plan was outspeed scarf Aerodactyl so I went for minimum (probably explains weird ev spread for Hawlucha)

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

This Tapu Lele I used for VGC 2017, nothing really special. I sadly don't remember the ev spread explanation. It's a Z-move user that just destroys opponents

Careful Nature
- Fire Lash
- Incinerate
- Recycle
- Stockpile

I wanted to try Heatmor and it's signature Move, it worked wonders as a tank. Incinerate was to burn berries,but I never used it for that, Knock Off would probably be a better option for that move slot.
To be honest, with the ev spread, I tossed numbers together and called it good. I just wanted to try Heatmor.

Comments: This team was fun. It started as a random thought with Regigigas and I finally got the passionate pose (which I was aiming for)

5AVW-WWWW-WWW8-THL8
Against Blue
Regigigas and Heatmor on the same team, plus lead Hawlucha. You are my kind of fella. Needless to say, I freaking love your team. Trying things is the first step to becoming a shitmon devotee, which earns quite a lot of respect around here.

(well, in my eyes it does hehe)

Honestly, don't use my team. It's an extremely lucky 1000-streak team, which has been noted many times, and I only posted it here because it somehow did reach 1000. Its lack of answers to certain threats, particularly Dragon Dance and Sheer Cold users, makes it even more questionable. And I'm bad about recording videos of anything noteworthy (or anything not noteworthy just for the sake of example battles), so that also doesn't help. The streak that I have going right now (which I haven't really done much with since reaching 1000 because I have no desire to keep going and Anabel isn't going to show either) didn't see a lot of variety in terms of opponents either, adding to its description as extremely lucky. Sets aren't optimized for what I used them for, Porygon2 has a tendency to miss with Toxic, I sometimes sacrificed Porygon2 to get through Dragon Dance users, you get the idea. Don't use the team. It isn't worth your time if you're trying to achieve a long streak.

I used a slight different improvised tanks, namly haze toxapex and special crumbler aegislash.

I faced captain kiawe on my 10th battle (I forgot) and got destroyed by brave bird talonflame because after a DD it is still slower and it got one SD and then one shot charizard X, and 2KHO my toxapex (I thought doing haze might work but looking back maybe I should just scald).

Sad but true. I guess maybe I should've attack talonflame immediately and not setup in the first place with flare blitz or dragon claw, perhaps that will at least both die and let the other team revenge kill my team afterwards.
Assuming you used the same EV spread as me, you should have outsped Talonflame4 at +1, so the one you ran into had Gale Wings. Probably would have been worth it to switch Aegislash in to make it take recoil, thus removing Gale Wings. Also:

+2 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 151-178 (81.6 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Unless you used Flare Blitz Turn 1 or EV trained wrong, you should have been fine.

Plus, your team as it is would probably fall to something like Scarf Garchomp or some other fast Ground type in the back, unless you already have a boosted Charizard. Outspeeds you otherwise and basically can Earthquake you to oblivion, unless there's something I'm missing in your sets.

Last edited:

Smuckem

Resident Facility Bot Wannabe
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, don't use my team. It's an extremely lucky 1000-streak team, which has been noted many times, and I only posted it here because it somehow did reach 1000. Its lack of answers to certain threats, particularly Dragon Dance and Sheer Cold users, makes it even more questionable. And I'm bad about recording videos of anything noteworthy (or anything not noteworthy just for the sake of example battles), so that also doesn't help. The streak that I have going right now (which I haven't really done much with since reaching 1000 because I have no desire to keep going and Anabel isn't going to show either) didn't see a lot of variety in terms of opponents either, adding to its description as extremely lucky. Sets aren't optimized for what I used them for, Porygon2 has a tendency to miss with Toxic, I sometimes sacrificed Porygon2 to get through Dragon Dance users, you get the idea. Don't use the team. It isn't worth your time if you're trying to achieve a long streak.

Well, what's important is that you've done it, and given others the opportunity to do the same, someday. The option, copious luck or not, is there. And hey, if someone else manages to get even a fifth of your success with Duck/Sword/Dragon, then luck (and the Duck) isn't all that defines it. Its performance under your hands becomes less of an anomaly and more "well, this might have some merit".

Between PencilCheck giving your team a shot, the two newbies showing their stuff, and Coeur7's most recent work, underrepresented 'mons have been given a hell of a showcase this weekend. Good shit, everyone, I raise a glass to you!

The S.R.C. has been updated through here.

Last edited:
Here to post a streak of 122 wins with Greninja, Scizor, and Garchomp.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Timid
6 HP 252 SpA 252 Spd

Surf
Ice Beam
Extrasensory/Dark Pulse
Grass Knot

The king of fast special sweepers. If you want fast battles where your lead can often 3-0, you want either this guy or Landorus. Greninja doesn't roll over to a certain type attack, which is nice, and is actually fast. Mons with decent Sp Def that you hit neutral are only 3HKOs though, you don't have the sheer force that is Earth Power.

Greninja does not joke around though- the coverage is wonderful, and he hits with hard SE attacks on a lot of stuff. Fast Electric attacks are the main worry.

I started with Extrasensory and switched to Dark Pulse after battle 100 or so. Dark Pulse is way better offensive coverage, but with Extrasensory you can kill with Ice Beam and be ready to resist what they throw at you next. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry gets legends these days- so I think the Dark coverage is nice for Azelf, Mespirt, and Uxie especially.

If I cared about getting a long streak with this team, you would switch to Scizor on anything he can set up to +6 on, but...eh.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Adamant
252 HP 252 Att 6 Def

Bug Bite
Bullet Punch
Swords Dance
Roost

Scizor is still great, but it seems there are more strong special attacks in the Tree. He does bring good priority and a Toxic immunity. Aegislash would be terrible for this team since I do not have something to take an EQ for him. You have to be smart setting up, as if he goes down while boosting it is often game over, since there are a lot of threats that slaughter your team if not for Scizor standing in the way. The halcyon days of easy +6 are over- so be content with your +2 and Bullet Punch away.

Garchomp @ Choice Band
Jolly
6 HP 252 Att 252 Spd

Outrage
Earthquake
Iron Head
Rock Slide

I need a Electric immune, so here we are. He is just fast enough to use a Choice Band well, with the catch that this guy can not be your last pokemon against unknown AI mons. The Ice weakness is a serious issue- Boltbeam is everywhere and sometimes you get blasted trying to be cute with the switches- Icy Wind ended my streak since I though Regice would T-Bolt Greninja. Garchomp either feels like a burden or the only mon that holds the team together. Attacking with him is a commitment- as soon as you know Garchomp will be in, you have to think about your next move if something disastrous happens after your KO.

You are sometimes handsomely rewarded for your sacrifice of using this beast. Garchomp 1- deletes stuff while being fast and 2- lives through stuff while damaging the opponent.

This is the exact same team I used in the Maison. I might do another attempt before USUM comes out, but I might try some lesser used mons for fun.

Edit: Now with 100% more proof- https://i.imgur.com/CM9fqFK.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming you used the same EV spread as me, you should have outsped Talonflame4 at +1, so the one you ran into had Gale Wings. Probably would have been worth it to switch Aegislash in to make it take recoil, thus removing Gale Wings. Also:

+2 252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Charizard-Mega-X: 151-178 (81.6 - 96.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Unless you used Flare Blitz Turn 1 or EV trained wrong, you should have been fine.

Plus, your team as it is would probably fall to something like Scarf Garchomp or some other fast Ground type in the back, unless you already have a boosted Charizard. Outspeeds you otherwise and basically can Earthquake you to oblivion, unless there's something I'm missing in your sets.
It wasn't planned, more like I just don't have tanks like milotics atm, and I don't have forrothorn yet (still have only one forroseed).

And the EV spread for charizard X I had it somehow differently, perhaps I was mixing guide too much I got confused. I had 252 Att and 252 Spe, and that might be the cause of the downfall, otherwise it should've like you said tanked the brave bird +2.

I'm going back to fix the EV spread first then figure out how to fill in the spot for the tanks (or prob get one forrothorn up first).

Really appreciate for the reply. That helps a ton.

It wasn't planned, more like I just don't have tanks like milotics atm, and I don't have forrothorn yet (still have only one forroseed).

And the EV spread for charizard X I had it somehow differently, perhaps I was mixing guide too much I got confused. I had 252 Att and 252 Spe, and that might be the cause of the downfall, otherwise it should've like you said tanked the brave bird +2.

I'm going back to fix the EV spread first then figure out how to fill in the spot for the tanks (or prob get one forrothorn up first).

Really appreciate for the reply. That helps a ton.
I mean, Ferrothorn and Milotic are probably not optimal Pokemon to pair alongside Mega Charizard X. I just based this team off of the old FWG and DFS cores, so the old Mega Charizard X/Azumarill/Ferrothorn, only the swap on the Water type due to consistency on attacking. But otherwise, no problem!

Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- Entrainment
- Helping Hand
- Endeavor

Regigigas @ Normal Gem
Adamant Nature
- Crush Grip
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Tapu Lele @ Psychium Z
Modest Nature
- Protect
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Psychic

Careful Nature
- Fire Lash
- Incinerate
- Recycle
- Stockpile

5AVW-WWWW-WWW8-THL8
Against Blue

I really like this as well. I theorymoned trying out skill swap with Slaking recently but this setup is superior. Hawlucha is so fast that it doesn't need to worry about taunt as much as trick room does, still weavile1/4, crobat4, and electrode2/3 threaten with taunt for max speed hawlucha. I think Alola Marowak would be a good mon to include since it can switch in on fighting, electric, and ice moves against your leads when you have to switch out turn one. Mimikyu might be better though. I will definitely be playing this, it looks way too fun.

Zerox27 Return does indeed hit Ghost types when Salamence is mega evolved, but as for what that team is supposed to do against hard-hitting Toxic immunities in the lead position (Bisharp, Drapion, Magnezone) I'm not exactly sure myself.
Is there a Ghost that would be immune to it, or someway to make it immune to Flying type moves? I'm not sure what it was I was against, 99% sure it was a Ghost, but I did say to myself "that's too bad" about the Return saying No Effect since it should be treated as a Flying move. I thought it was intended but dumb that it wouldn't hit Ghosts. I definitely stopped and made sure he was Mega Evolved and attacked several times as that was where my streak ended. I don't think I saved the video, I suppose I should start saving more.

Is there a Ghost that would be immune to it, or someway to make it immune to Flying type moves? I'm not sure what it was I was against, 99% sure it was a Ghost, but I did say to myself "that's too bad" about the Return saying No Effect since it should be treated as a Flying move. I thought it was intended but dumb that it wouldn't hit Ghosts. I definitely stopped and made sure he was Mega Evolved and attacked several times as that was where my streak ended. I don't think I saved the video, I suppose I should start saving more.
Perhaps you see the "No Effect" thing under Return before you Mega Evolve? Cause at that point, Return is still classified as a Normal type move, at least in the non-Mega'd state. It should hit Ghost types if you Mega Evolved the same turn.

You probably had Mummy as your ability at the time from hitting Cofagrigus.

Hey guys! I'm trying to go as far as possible at the Battle Tree during Super Multi Battle but I don't know what Pokemon to use to partner up with Cynthia! Right now, she has a Mega Lucario and a Togekiss with Expert Belt but no matter what Pokemon I use, I keep losing against Pokemon that I'm not supposed to. I'm still new to Competitive so I get discouraged very easily so if I could have some advice, I'll gladly accept it.

I'd very much like to help you right here, but we got a dedicated topic up a couple lines for Battle Tree, which is used to keep the discussion toghether (in fact, this is something asked/talked often enough), so I'd redirect you there before providing assistance :P

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I'll merge this thread with the dedicated Battle Tree thread we have at the top of the page.

Welcome to Orange Islands!

It will help us to identify problems you may be having if you elaborate on this.
Well, most recently, I lost against a Mega Sharpedo and a Z-Move Arcanine in Battle 29. I use Mega Salamence and a Aegislash. If you have forgotten, my partner (Cynthia) has a Mega Lucario and Togekiss with Expert Belt.

My current sets are:

Salamence @ Salamenceite
Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Dragon Claw
Return
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed
Shadow Sneak
Iron Head
Swords Dance
King's Shield

I can spot the issue right away: you are using a setupper and a staller in multis.

Multi battles are extremely punishing for attempts at setupping. You need to prefer using 2 hyperaggressive fast sets.

If you want to use Mega-Salamence, i strongly recommenda gen 6 spatk one with Hyper Voice: the phisical version is walled pretty hard by a lot of things in Btree, on top of being vulnerable to lot of ice types, while a spatk version can run Flamethrower as coverage which doesnt also kill your own partner.

Use 2 very strong fast Pokemon or with strong priority.

Well, most recently, I lost against a Mega Sharpedo and a Z-Move Arcanine in Battle 29. I use Mega Salamence and a Aegislash. If you have forgotten, my partner (Cynthia) has a Mega Lucario and Togekiss with Expert Belt.

My current sets are:

Salamence @ Salamenceite
Jolly
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Speed, 4 HP
Dragon Claw
Return
Earthquake
Dragon Dance

Aegislash @ Weakness Policy
Adamant
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 Speed
Shadow Sneak
Iron Head
Swords Dance
King's Shield
just as worldie said, If you wanna use the same mons, change up the sets. Special Aegi with wide guard and kings shield is pretty good, and physical or special mence both work. Don't run dragon claw salamence though, it is near useless and a waste of a moveslot. Dont use dragon dance either, maybe protect and another move would work well

just as worldie said, If you wanna use the same mons, change up the sets. Special Aegi with wide guard and kings shield is pretty good, and physical or special mence both work. Don't run dragon claw salamence though, it is near useless and a waste of a moveslot. Dont use dragon dance either, maybe protect and another move would work well
Okay. I actually do have another Salamence but with a special set. It knows Dragon Pulse, Hyper Voice, Fire Blast, and Protect. I am, however, looking for a Pokemon that can potentially sweep. You got any ideas?

Last edited:
Definitely replace FireBlast with Flamethrower, otherwise it's a very standard M-Sala doubles set :)

A fast z-move user or revenge killer would be a good plan for last spot: Tapu Koko, (sash)Pheromosa, (sash,Z)Kartana, stuff like that, or something with access to strong priority like Mimikyu or LO Scizor.
You COULD run a strong Scarfmon like Garchomp, Eruption Entei, or similar things as well, but those work better as lead since having your backline choice locked is generally a recipe for disaster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)