Your Favourite Song

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
WHAT THE FUCK? ONE SONG? ARE YOU FUCKING JOKING THAT IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS.

Well yes Smogon, it is, but if you are not man enough to step up to the challenge of naming your one single most favourite song in the world then step down, man. Step down.

Consider carefully. What do you value in a song? Are lyrics important to you? Should you choose a song that you think relates to you on a personal level? Maybe you should just go for the one that you've heard recently and think is totally all that. But then will you look back on it and think "wait, I actually liked this one better when I first heard it"?

Feel free to elaborate on your choice and justify it to the rest of us (and yourself!)

I'll kick it off:
Thrice - The Melting Point Of Wax
To me, this song is untouchable. The lyrics are beautiful, they conjure up brilliant images for me, the tone of the song rises and falls with the message. You can tell in his voice that the vocalist really believes the words he's singing, and they aren't contemporary, they aren't about fleeting events or experiences, they are about life. Excellent, excellent song. I can't hear it often enough.

Oh fuck.

Animal Collective - Did You See the Words
Either this or Turn Into Something, but either way this song has everything. The lyrics are so odd it's hard not to like them, the vocals are so unique that they are easily my favorites, and the music? The music sounds so much different from other bands. It's definitely an odd song but yeah, one of if not my favorite.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
This is something I've deliberated in my mind many, many times, but I've never come up with a solid answer. I've often asked others this question, and very few times have I actually gotten an answer. I've also asked what people consider is a "perfect song"... the first song that comes to mind under that title for me is The Beatles' "A Day In The Life". Okay, so my favorite song of all time? Gimme a sec. It's probably Hum or Built to Spill...

After careful consideration, I'm saying:
Hum - Why I Like the Robins

I've got nothing to do, and nothing like you left to lose

Sonic Youth Teenage Riot

lol i forgot this one.

it's maybe their most popular so minus points to me for not being indy

but honestly daydream nation is their best album

and this is the best song on that album

glen and dm i cant find your songs with gay mac p2p

ecnemalas, that is one fucking hell of a song. animal collective's tribal drum beats at their best.

Against Me! - Beginning in an Ending

if you havent heard it, download it, and if you have heard it, then i shouldnt have to explain myself. for the sake of it, i will post the lyrics.

Every day
Has a beginning and ending, like
Every road (life?) has a start and finish, oh
July is gone, like
The gasoline it took
To make the circle again
Florida to Florida, by way of America

Cocaine and soda
Playing tetris in our underwear, we take
Turns reading letters
I read the haiku while you move your nails across my legs
In your arms, I don't know who I am
Taking all I know about nihilism
And trying to build it into a life

With your thought in mind, I walk the streets
Down to the shores, and I sink into the Pacific
This is everything up to now ending; ending
It was nice to believe for awhile

so so so so beautiful. tom gabel just fucking drips emotion. this is mind-blowing. however, i have to say there's a bit of a tie.

Against Me! - The Disco Before The Breakdown

both songs are off the same ep. jesus fucking christ this is amazing.

And if you follow
The jaw-line down over the heart
The curves of your bone and muscle
That make up your head to toe
It's just skin and thread, stitches and ligaments
Words that we spoke, only to regret

I know they're going to laugh at us, when they
When they see us out together holding hands like this
They wouldn't understand it if we told them all the reasons
Not that I think this deserves any kind of explanation

And we'll, we'll make it up
So we've got a smile painted on, all of the time
No matter what it's like on the inside
We'll keep this, keep us like a secret
'Cause if my family and friends ever found out about
The things we could never be
Haunts we'll always keep
So fucking bittersweet

choosing between these two songs, now that i think about it, is impossible. sigh.

gene

(* ̄(エ) ̄*)
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Dream Theater - The Glass Prison

Amazing song. I love everything about it. I think most people who have heard this one do not need any extra explanation.

My favorite is my favorite for a reason that sort of cheats the question, as it is probably not the best song in my opinion, but it is of course my favorite!

What I mean by that is that it is my favorite song for reasons other than it's musical quality, while I certainly enjoy that aspect of it too. A friend of mine sent it to me at a point where I was kind of being a giant tool IRL so perhaps inadvertently on his part it has special meaning for me. Definitely worth checking out for the music itself too, though.

Murder By Death - Brother

Hipmonlee

Have a nice day
is a Community Contributoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Four-Time Past WCoP Champion
Radiohead - The Tourist

I love everything about it.. I could try to explain, but there is so much I want to say I could never get through it all..

Just the extended building of tension through the phrase, to the 4/4 bar.. Makes me feel good inside every time I hear it.

Have a nice day.

Blind Guaradian - And Then There Was Silence has been for the last year, and has been a top ten of mine for the last three.

(However, if you wanted to talk 'all time', technically The Glass Prison would be, as it was my original #1 and never below its current #5!)

Sarah McLachlan - World on Fire

It talks about poverty and greed in third world countries... my (awesome) sister's a missionary and that really finds a place in me.

Between the Buried and Me - Selkies: The Endless Obsession

if you're into metalcore and you've heard it, you would know why. if you're not into metalcore, atleast download the instrumental version. its has most amazing guitar solo i've ever heard.

Carl

or Varl
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
At first this was really difficult. Then I remembered an artist I have literally not listened to in probably 6 months because of the emotional attachments I have with him.

Jeff Buckley's Last Goodbye is my favorite song.

The whole Grace album conjures up memories of a conflicted time in my love life and holds a lot of good memories followed by a lot of self-inflicted grief. This song was not only the flagship song for getting me to love Jeff Buckley but it also fairly accurately captures the feelings I had lyrically better than any other song on the album.

This song has it all. Lyically it is extremely solid with lines like "it makes me so angry cause I know in time I'll only make you cry." It describes very well the general story behind any bittersweet ending to a romance. The guitar is catchy but not overly poppy in any way so it doesn't negate the seriousness of the lyrics. The backing strings are a nice touch as well. Buckley shows a decent vocal range; he's not nearly as impressive as he is in other songs but enough to say "wow that guy can sing."

It's commonly said you either love Jeff Buckley or haven't heard him that's how good a songwriter the man was so I suggest checking out the whole album Grace and see what I mean.

this is hard ;x but i guess i'll go with xeroxicide by emanuel. if you havent heard this song then you should, its awesome.

Altmer

rid this world of human waste
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
This is such a terrible question to answer.

I think it's Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name...but I have so many favourite songs atm I couldn't choose.

To be honest with my fairly vast taste in music, choosing the best piece of music, or even an artist, has always been a nearly impossible task for me.

I've ruined quite a few songs by overplaying them ridiculously and then forgetting all about the song for a while. When a song is great, I always get the urge to listen to it. The overplayed songs come back to me in some time and I feel surprised to hear them and notice how I still like them as much as before. When the feeling of musical love towards some tracks I've liked, for example, last summer comes back to me, the joy begins.

Nonetheless, I usually consider songs that I remember by heart the best of songs. Usually my favorite songs have a link to a dear person or a wonderful event, but there's one outstanding song, which I have never ruined by overplaying it. I can't recall hearing the song outside of my mp3 or the speakers of my computer, so it's more or less a personal song.

Strange Denial by Bad Religion

The lyrics are an utter masterpiece and I can't help but to listen in admiration how such complicated words blend together so well. The music itself is slow for a punk rock band, but the voice of the singer blends nicely with it. Everytime I listen to this, I'm in always as amazed as when I first heard the song.

Close up second I'd have an electronic masterpiece from Shpongle or Infected Mushroom or something from the Offspring, RHCP or Pink Floyd.

ok this is too hard for me to choose.

I have many favourite songs in the time being, but I guess I'll choose a song that has acompanied me throughout most of my life. This will likely be an Enya song.

I love every Enya song I love the most almost equally here:
- The Celts
- Triad
- Storms in Africa
- Orinoco Flow
- Smaointe...
- Pax Deorum
- Athair ar Nearmh
- Tea House Moon
- The Memory of Trees
- The First of Autumn
- Water Shows the Hidden Heart

These songs are from albums that range from 1987 to 2005. Watermark, despite being Enya's second album, was the one I first listened to, though some years after its release (3-4?). Listing every song on Watermark from the list above:

- Storms in Africa
- Orinoco Flow

Choosing between these two is very hard. I fell deeply with these two tracks and choosing between them is a difficult chore. There is nothing I don't love in these songs. Orinoco Flow has that refreshing tune that anyone recognizes and the lyrics... I usually don't pay attention to lyrics, but these are very interesting in a way I can't explain. On the other hand, Storms In Africa also has an amazing tune with the marine feel and an amazing voice.

In the end I choose Storms in Africa, merely because of the amazing classical percussian it has, the use of a small choir was also a thumbs up. The biggest reason of all is the time between 2:35-2:53, where Enya sings

Tóg do chroí.
Siúil tríd na stoirmeacha.
Tóg do chroísa.
Dul tríd na stoirmeacha.

This is where her voice truly shines.

Nowadays I listen to other tracks a lot more, but this is the special one I'll always love.

Quite hard to make a decision about an absolute favourite song, mine would have to be a Dream Theater song, and since I like almost all DT songs a lot, it's still hard to decide, though I guess my top three would have to be The Spirit Carries On, Trial Of Tears and Learning To Live. Eh, I'll choose...

Dream Theater - Learning To Live

One of the first DT songs that I've heard (if not actually the very first one, but I don't remember). The lyrics are simply amazing, the first couple of minutes have to be the best minutes of progressive metal, the middle instrumental part is really beautiful, and the ending is gg, making it a great outro song too.
I could go on and on about why, and how much I love this song, but instead of making this post look tl;dr, I'll just take the time to listen to this song again right now.

Edit: Just noticed that G80 has the same avatar as me.

I always thought I'd have trouble with this, but there is one song that shines above everything else that I hava and ever will listen to.

Garbage - Push It
yeah. I can listen to this song whatever mood I'm in, it always feels right. In fact, I don't think I can bring myself to turn it off if it comes on my shuffle. The music video rocks as well. Fucking listen to this song. Now.

Version 2.0 also happens to be my favourite album of all time.

Jackal

I'm not retarded I'm Canadian it's different
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
While this is an impossible question I have come up with an answer, and it was really the first song that came to my head. No matter what band was the fad of the week or what mood im in, this song was always one of the first ones i would play. It has been with me for so long, and really was the most influential song changing my life, both in how i viewed music and through its message. So no matter how "unindie" this is, i will say my favourite song of all time is Tonight, Tonight - Smashing Pumpkins

We'll crucify the insincere, tonight, tonight,
The impossible is possible, tonight, tonight.

When i put this song on in my surround sound home theatre system, full blast, and just lie down and close my eyes, it really is just every emotion flooding to me at once. The songs stunning crescendos, beautiful orhestral strings and the constant flow of the snare drum, along with Billy's (imo) beautiful voice...wow. The message makes me happy and sad at the same times, it empowers me to always live as if its your last night, but also allows me to reminice about my youth and longing to be young forever. The imagery created in this song is incredible. If I am ever feeling low on self esteem this song really gives me confidence. Also the music video really does it justice. Billy is a genius.

that is my tl;dr response.

I'm actually going to have to say my overall favorite song is Somebody to Love by Queen. I mean, my current favorites come and go, but that song will always remain a masterpiece in my mind.

I accept this challenge.

At first four songs popped into my head...Radiohead's How to Disappear Completely, Radiohead's Fake Plastic Trees, Radiohead's Pyramid Song and Smashing Pumpkin's 1979 (Radiohead ftw). All four songs are among a special few (yeah there's more) that have put me to tears and still can depending on the situation. Any song that can do that, to me, is a work of genius. BUT ...*tl;dr on its way*

How to Disappear Completely: I had heard that Thom Yorke wrote this song about the other-worldly feeling he gets when he performs his music on stage. "Pretentious bastard," I thought to myself. Boy was I fucking wrong.

My first ever concert/performance in front of a live audience; 150 or so people all staring little old shy me dead in the eyes as I sung this song...it changed me. I simply saw the song as an easy piece to learn and get familiar with, but upon performing I left with an entire new appreciation of not just what music can do, but of myself. It really brought out a part of me I had never felt, and for that alone I must chose this song.

It isn't something I could get from just listening to the record (although it does do a lot on its own). It came from staring strangers and friends dead in the eyes as I unveiled my love for music. It was something I had never experienced...and hope to experience again. Thank you Mr. Yorke.

That there... that's not me...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)