Resource USUM OU ULTRA Viability Ranking Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Ok let me post with my own opinions on Blacephelon vs Gengar.(This is my second post so feel free to correct me and I don't know how to add animating pictures of the mons).
Abilities
Obviously Blacephelon wins right here because of its much better ability. Cursed body is kinda useless compared to the very solid ability in Beast Boost.

Movepool
Blacephelon-CM,F blast, F thrower, S Ball, Trick, Hidden Power, Explosion(For volc), PsyChic and Shock, Taunt, Will-o-wisp etc.
Gengar: S Ball, S Wave, F Blast, Taunt, Hidden Power, Will-o-wisp, Hex, D Bond etc.
This is a tie for me because the generic sets for both mons will have fixed moves such as S Ball is usually a fixed moveset (unless u run hex on gar), or you will usually always see S wave and Blast on Gar.
One might expect gar to win this round because of his ability to 2hko ttar but
1>Its focus blast, people call it focus miss for a reason and it can only 2hko ttar
2>Blacephelon can kinda break through ttar as well with correct prediction

Typing
Blacephelon: Fire/Ghost
Gengar: Ghost/Poison
Blacephelon's typing is a mixed bag. On one hand fire can be a potent stab allowing it to weaken steel types such as Mage but Weakness to stealth rocks, water shuriken (which is everywhere) and ground is p bad.
Gengar's typing of poison allows it to hit the tapus which can be really good along with grass types.
This round is again a type for me because both their stabs are good but both have their own Problems but gengar has the edge

Lastly, there is stats
Gengar's potent 110 base speed can be really handy in stopping a kartana snowball because
252 SpA Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 315-372 (121.1 - 143%) -- guaranteed OHKO but doesn't serve much more purpose than that because keldeo is trash rn and it mostly runs scarf

Blacephelon's Special attack is really dang good and has chance to break through sp. def. pex when using specs when having rocks and a layer of spikes because
252 SpA Choice Specs Blacephalon Shadow Ball vs. 248 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 123-145 (40.5 - 47.8%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock, 1 layer of Spikes, and Black Sludge recovery

Both have garbage defenses with gengar having a bit more defense and Blacephelon having a bit more sp. def.

Overall, I conclude that both are almost equal in their own right and feel that they should be in the same tier as each other. I personally feel that Blace is better but lets follow the results
You are saying that blace can learn hp, but it can only uses a few hps because of perfect evs, so no, it cant learn hp ground and hp fighting, you will have to double if u are playing vs a ttar. Anyway, the important point is the one sayed before, it cant revenge kill scarf tana, and bulu + kartana is so common right now.

You are saying that blace can learn hp, but it can only uses a few hps because of perfect evs, so no, it cant learn hp ground and hp fighting, you will have to double if u are playing vs a ttar. Anyway, the important point is the one sayed before, it cant revenge kill scarf tana, and bulu + kartana is so common right now.
Minor correction but yes Blacephalon can use HP Ground. An IV spread of 31/31/31/30/30/31 yields HP Ground and has 4 perfect IVs. HP Fighting however requires at least 4 even IVs, and since UBs are guaranteed to have at least 3 perfect IVs, they can never have an IV spread that yields HP Fighting.

Amoonguss from B- to B+: Yes
Again not much to say here as well. Thanks to regenerator, it can keep up momentum unlike Mega Venu, and has a poison typing to absorb T-spikes unlike Tangrowth. It's utility moves are also much better.

The three bad grass types( Mega Venu, Tangrowth, and Serperior) down: Yes
Can't say anything more about Mega Venu that wyattdev didn't already say, so just read his post
Tangrowth is outclassed and its niche in checking Kartana( it doesn't appreciate knock-off) and Non Z-Fly Lando is minute to the point that it should just drop a spot to reflect that its niche isn't the most appreciated
Serperior is bad, nothing else to say
I have to disagree with this. I think even B is a little too much for it.

Reasoning:
This post is honestly much better than mine will ever be.
Disagree with Amoonguss jumping all the way into B. Amoonguss is in an awkward spot right now between being a Grass-type and a Poison-type. I'll concede that it has uses - it's a bit better at checking Kartana as a prime example than Tangrowth (though for the record this thing also takes a pretty hefty amount from +2 AoP), but Bulu and Tangrowth also have the perks of being a bit better at checking most standard Zygarde sets (DD sets have opted for Groundium sometimes, and the only thing Bulu really fears from Band is Iron Tail which is an awkward move to lock onto with a high chance of missing or some other off-sets which aren't used significantly enough at the moment or are in niche teams like Screens). For Poison-types we have the obvious Toxapex which fulfills the roles of a defensive Pokemon that can absorb Toxic Spikes so much better than Amoonguss under the majority of circumstances as well. Alomomola is also a lot easier to slot into teams I feel than Amoonguss, which only fits on some of the more niche teams that don't necessarily need Zygarde answers as it's supplemented elsewhere (best example I have with this is probably teams with Mew or Lefties Lando-T). Alomomola has more optimal teammates like Gliscor to back it up anyway as far as clearing out Toxic Spikes or Mega Venusaur which pairs alright with it.

I'll at least concede that Amoonguss is probably fine for B- in the long run, but B seems to be a huge overreach when it's a Pokemon that's still plagued with issues fitting on teams effectively without there being better options and configurations. I also wouldn't put it above a tier for Pokemon like Mamoswine which are awkward to fit in and have mediocrity issues, but have a significant threat presence against some teams, or Mew which isn't as good as it was in earlier iterations of SM (post-Metagross ban), but still is fairly significant at checking some sleeper threats while being alright in its roles as a defensive Defogger, Stealth Rock user, or using a combination of Ice Beam / Earth(quake / Power).
I think Amoongus easily gets too heavily out-classed and checked at this point for it to go from B- to B or B+. It requires a lot of team support and it is easy to set up it is an AV set or it already putting an opponent to sleep ( you get the point ). It really should not be in the same tier as better mons like Mega Alakazam, Rotom-W and Weavile. I am glad it is B-, because it is much better than the mons in the C+ tier but it just has too much flaws. It is also difficult to put on a team.

Scarfed Gengar is not really a set, though. So yes, Blacephalon cannot outspeed scarfed Kartana, but Gengar also cannot, since it being scarfed is not a thing.

Jirachi B- --> B

Jirachi is one of the most flexible pokemon in the meta who greatly benifits from the increased usage in pokemon like amoongus and the tapus
It can check a suprising amount of pokemon within the meta and can offer useful support moves such as T wave, Icy wind, Wish, Hwish and so on. This pokemon's greatest strength is the overall Strength of it making it a support mon that is in no way close to passive. There was alot of posts back around page 25 talking about jirachi that have been somewhat overlooked and I believe that is a great injustice so I won't really echo more of what was said I just want to give my undying support for this pokemon.

M-ttar B+ ---> A-
I think that this pokemon never should have dropped in the first place. It's DD set is worthy of B+ but it's offensive SR set is invaluable not only for beating the best defogers in the tier and making them scared to switch in it just packs a punch in general. Freeing up rocks is always a useful thing for other team members who struggle with move slots (Gliscor,Heatran ETC). I believe that this pokemon should go back up to A-

Mega Gyarados/Gyarados B --->B+
I have been using these two mons alot and I can fully say that they are fantastic. Most teams often forget about this thing while building instead focusing on the rampant kartana which leaves alot of teams open for the Gyarados to come down and beat them. It's ability to bluff the other one gives it a few more chances to set up Dragon Dance which can be very very leathal. This pokemon also thrives of the fall of keldeo as that was one of the biggest counters to it's mega form. Flying stabs (even if they take two turns) Are still very potent and can deal with alot of the major threats to gyardos and the fact that this scares of grass types from coming in is always welcome for more Dragon dance turns. Of course the bulk of the mega form is overwhelming to those unprepared for it and I feel as if these mons are worthy of moving up to B+ Alongside pokemon like Tangrowth,Rotom wash and the two rain mons.

I'm somewhat certain that I might be missing something regarding the Gyarados however so i'm very open to disagreement

Gengar B ---> B+
I have nothing more to add here other than it's Willo Z hex set is fantastic and this mon loves recent meta trends such as Kartana. It's also quite nice that with a correct willo it opens the room for bulky mons like Zygarde and Gyarados to clean house

I did make a long post earlier regarding amoongus that got deleted ( I assume due to the original person who I was responding to deleting their post) and Since i'm almost out of time and I don't feel like Repeating what I said i'm just going to say that I disagree with Amoongus moving up from where it is and think that even B- is pushing it somewhat.

Nihilego---->shadow helm agree 100%
Whats this mons niche then again? It cant break, it cant sweep, it barely can revenge kill stuff, aka volca cuz everything else lives a hit, bad dual stab, no good coverege, no defensive utility as most atackers just send it packin, only thing i can see it doing is being a bad rocker. U could agree it could come in on a weakened mon, get an spa boost and actually pose try to pose a treat to unpreped teams, but the thing is u are not rly unpreped for this when : S rank lando, S- heatran ( stops everything bar power gem), toxapex and kart ( revenge kills) bar many others.
I have been wanting to say this again for a long time, unrank this digimon

I’m gonna have to disagree with a jirachi nom. It doesn’t work as a general special Sponge for BO. Both av gear and av Bulu do the job much better and can actually check common mons like Ash gren And koko. Rachis main niche is a lele check on stall but other mons like celesteela and magearna can do that arguably more effectively. The only niche rachi really has over them is bringing its own recovery and not on wish support. However, jirachi does have a good utility move pool with wish/tect, twave, healing wish, u turn, stealth rock and super flinch iron head. Other bulky steels just happen to have better bulk and typing. Jirachi isn’t bad just outclassed... and a little bit bad. I think putting it with really effective niche mons like mega gyarados and mamo in B is overselling it a lot.
I have to disagree what you said. Jirachi has a really solid move pool indeed, and it is a really good tank in OU. You can run a plethora of sets in this thing but the best one is a bulky one. Although it hates Landorous-T without a burn, it none-of-the-less is still good. It is also a great wish giver despite it hating Pursuit.
+2 252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 252-297 (62.5 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 218-260 (54 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 248 HP / 108+ SpD Jirachi: 174-204 (43.1 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Jirachi is more of a team support type than an offensive one to be honest, so I do not understand how it is "outclassed". I think Jirachi should share a spot with Mamoswine. That ability Serene Grace is underrated to be honest, flinching can be a large problem for Pokemon who wish to set up on it. I think it should rise from it's B- place in fact.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
+2 252 Atk Kartana Sacred Sword vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 252-297 (62.5 - 73.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Kartana runs Knock Off on almost every set nowadays, so this calc is basically completely irrelevant and it's not like Jirachi is doing anything back. The rest of this post isn't exactly stellar either. I understand that Jirachi is one of like 3 consistent Tapu Lele switch ins in the entire tier and can be an invaluable asset for stall teams due to its ability to provide Wish support and beat mons that stall normally folds in half to, but please use actual argumentation as to why Jirachi should move up.

Felixx

I'm back.
I have to disagree what you said. Jirachi has a really solid move pool indeed, and it is a really good tank in OU. You can run a plethora of sets in this thing but the best one is a bulky one. Although it hates Landorous-T without a burn, it none-of-the-less is still good. It is also a great wish giver despite it hating Pursuit.
252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Pursuit vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Jirachi: 218-260 (54 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252 SpA Magearna Fleur Cannon vs. 248 HP / 108+ SpD Jirachi: 174-204 (43.1 - 50.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Jirachi is more of a team support type than an offensive one to be honest, so I do not understand how it is "outclassed". I think Jirachi should share a spot with Mamoswine. That ability Serene Grace is underrated to be honest, flinching can be a large problem for Pokemon who wish to set up on it. I think it should rise from it's B- place in fact.
Jirachi is outclassed by other sp def. pivots like Magearna, Bulu, and Tang, because of its inability to check Koko and Ash-Gren. Bulu and Tang have the ability to check Zygarde, and Mag isn't exactly set-up fodder, while Jirachi is tight on move slots and can't put Ice Punch or Icy Wind in its moveset without forgoing useful utility move in U-turn, Stealth Rocks, or Healing Wish.

I don't understand how a Magearna gets to +2 versus a Jirachi team...

Kartana runs Knock Off on almost every set nowadays, so this calc is basically completely irrelevant and it's not like Jirachi is doing anything back. The rest of this post isn't exactly stellar either. I understand that Jirachi is one of like 3 consistent Tapu Lele switch ins in the entire tier and can be an invaluable asset for stall teams due to its ability to provide Wish support and beat mons that stall normally folds in half to, but please use actual argumentation as to why Jirachi should move up.
Jirachi is outclassed by other sp def. pivots like Magearna, Bulu, and Tang, because of its inability to check Koko and Ash-Gren. Bulu and Tang have the ability to check Zygarde, and Mag isn't exactly set-up fodder, while Jirachi is tight on move slots and can't put Ice Punch or Icy Wind in its moveset without forgoing useful utility move in U-turn, Stealth Rocks, or Healing Wish. I don't understand how a Magearna gets to +2 versus a Jirachi team...
You all made good points on why Jirachi should move. I think it should though. I wish I knew more about the competitive meta, I should really lurk in this thread even more instead of posting probably.
Darn, forgot that Kartana runs Knock Off. I should have tried harder making that post. I try not to list only "facts" but it is hard. I do not want to get Jirachi into the blacklist so.....
Here is a better argument from me:

Jirachi does require a lot of team support, like a fighting type to ward off Tyranitar. I personally disagree with Jirachi being in the B- rank where mons that do not get much usage like Skarmony and Terrakion are. Felixx Mag can get a +2 if it kills two, but that is rare. Jirachi is probably one of the best checks to Tapu Lele in my opinion, which is a common mon. There are other special defensive pivots indeed but that wish is quite useful if a mon that is bulky switches in. Jirachi is a safe stealth rock user, but I feel like there are better mons out there that can spread out the stealth rocks. Heart Stamp can be used against Toxapex is you dream of it, but it can just swap out. It's good move pool does give it many utility in the tier, but I think B is good enough for it. With popular mons like Tapu Bulu, Tapu Lele and Magearna being used more, I think it is fine for a B placing for now. I just do not see it in the same tier as Skarmony. I am sorry if this post does not use enough actual argumentation. I am trying my best to make a good post to contribute to the thread. Thoughts?

Oh, its that time of day. Time to nom some pokemon down to the Shadow Realm

From C- to the Unholy realm that is know to us as the Shadow Realm

Let's see, where do we begin. Oh yes, the playstle that notably featured Azelf who was a crucial member is dead. Birdspam died about a couple months ago, so Azelf usefulness has plummeted. Oh, and the small niche only it had if you could call it that, has been taken over, ironically, by the best pokemon in the metagame, Landorus. Unlike Suicide Lead Landorus, Azelf doesn't do much of anything to defoggers after rocks has been put up. except Taunt slow ones, which I guess is cool and hit Ferrothorn if your opponenet is dumb enough to leave it in. If it lacks Hidden Power Ice, its also rocks bait for Landorus, and is Heatran bait as well. Unlike Landorus, who has an extremly powerful explosion, and has swords dance to potentially further the destruction of it, Azelf's explosion is pathetic. Much like itself. It's also outclassed by Excadrill, who can Stealth Rock on Sabeleye, and can Rapid Spin hazards away. Furthermore, HO has better non-rocks suicide leads that it wants to fit on their teams, who can also provide much more to the team,other than just look pretty after Stealth Rocks.

Look, C- is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, but at least the pokemons in there have a small but useful niche that only they can fulfill. Azelf doesn't have this luxury at all, and its only notable quality over Landorus and Excadrill is Taunt and Fire Blast, but comes with the baggage of Azelf not providing any other utility after rocks. If someone can explain to me what niche it has other those two besides killing Ferrothorn, then I'll concede it has a niche and deserves to get ranked. But as of now, I think that Azelf deserves to get thrown into the fiery pits of doom known as the Shadow Realm

Last edited:

Let's see, where do we begin. Oh yes, the playstle that notably featured Azelf who was a crucial membre is dead. Birdspam died about a couple months ago, so Azelf usefulness has plummeted. Oh, and the small niche only it had if you could call it that, has been taken over, ironically, by the best pokemon in the metagame, Landorus. Unlike Suicide Lead Landorus, Azelf doesn't do much of anything to defoggers after rocks has been put up. except Taunt slow ones, which I guess is cool and hit Ferrothorn if your opponenet is dumb enough to leave it in. If it lacks Hidden Power Ice, its also rocks bait for Landorus, and is Heatran bait as well. Unlike Landorus, who has an extremly powerful explosion, and has swords dance to potentially further the destruction of it, Azelf's explosion is pathetic. Much like itself. It's also outclassed by Excadrill, who can Stealth Rock on Sabeleye, and can Rapid Spin hazards away. Furthermore, HO has better non-rocks suicide leads that it wants to fit on their teams, who can also provide much more to the team, than just look pretty after Stealth Rocks.

Look, C- is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, but at least the pokemons in there have a small but useful niche that only they can fulfill. Azelf doesn't have this luxury at all, and its only notable quality over Landorus an Excadrill is Taunt and Fire Blast, but comes with the baggage of Azelf not providing any over utility after rocks. If someone can explain to me what niche it has other those two besides killing Ferrothorn, then I'll concede it has a niche and deserves to get ranked. But as of now, I think that Azelf deserves to get thrown into the fiery pits of doom known as the Shadow Realm
I have to agree with this nom. I literally have never seen this thing in OU play at all. There are much better ways to set up a stealth rock than this abomination. I agree that Suicide Landorous-T is much better than this. I mean so many things check it, like things faster than it and priority attackers. There is barely a reason to use this mon when it can not rapid spin and probably only use stealth rocks. Excadrill does outclass it indeed. Also stealth rocks basically ruins it's main gameplay in general ( focus sash ), and stealth rocks are very common. The worst part is, you usually want to use this in the first game because saving it for later is not a good idea as the opponent probably already uses the stealth rock and it gets even worst when your defogger faints. Good point, Azelf to the shadow realm.

Let's see, where do we begin. Oh yes, the playstle that notably featured Azelf who was a crucial membre is dead. Birdspam died about a couple months ago, so Azelf usefulness has plummeted. Oh, and the small niche only it had if you could call it that, has been taken over, ironically, by the best pokemon in the metagame, Landorus. Unlike Suicide Lead Landorus, Azelf doesn't do much of anything to defoggers after rocks has been put up. except Taunt slow ones, which I guess is cool and hit Ferrothorn if your opponenet is dumb enough to leave it in. If it lacks Hidden Power Ice, its also rocks bait for Landorus, and is Heatran bait as well. Unlike Landorus, who has an extremly powerful explosion, and has swords dance to potentially further the destruction of it, Azelf's explosion is pathetic. Much like itself. It's also outclassed by Excadrill, who can Stealth Rock on Sabeleye, and can Rapid Spin hazards away. Furthermore, HO has better non-rocks suicide leads that it wants to fit on their teams, who can also provide much more to the team, than just look pretty after Stealth Rocks.

Look, C- is pretty much the bottom of the barrel, but at least the pokemons in there have a small but useful niche that only they can fulfill. Azelf doesn't have this luxury at all, and its only notable quality over Landorus an Excadrill is Taunt and Fire Blast, but comes with the baggage of Azelf not providing any over utility after rocks. If someone can explain to me what niche it has other those two besides killing Ferrothorn, then I'll concede it has a niche and deserves to get ranked. But as of now, I think that Azelf deserves to get thrown into the fiery pits of doom known as the Shadow Realm
I completely agree with this nomination. Azelf has litterally no reason to be used at all in sm ou. Altaria, Scolipede, and Mega Aerodactyl are all pretty bad, but Mega Altaria is a decent defogger that can check a unique combination of threats. Mega Aerodactyly Is pretty annoying for offense and some balance teams to deal with, and Scolipede can pose a decent threat to offensive teams.

I'd like to disagree with this nom, Azelf does have a few little techs which certainly make it at least C- level pick as a Suicide lead. It's faster than both Landorus and Excadrill to start and it has access to Taunt and Magic Coat, which means it does more to prevent hazards than Excadrill or Landorus who can only remove and not prevent. Also Magic Coat is great to avoid Taunt, as when it is bounced back your opponent will not be able to Taunt you again, this is something neither Landorus or Excadrill can do. It also has access to Skill Swap, which does in fact allow it to set-up on Sableye and Diance which you seem to have glossed over. Also at base 115 speed I'm pretty sure it outspeeds most, if not all viable defoggers and spinners, so it can in fact taunt them and keep Rocks up.

I don't think not having much usability after setting up should be a huge factor in whether or not Azelf is viable, as it's a Suicide Lead, its role is to set Rocks and gain momentum, which it does, it can actually be useful to save some death fodder to gain momentum with HO at any rate. While Explosion is not as strong as other attacking options on Suicide Leads, the main role is to get some decent damage off and provide momentum, which again Azelf succeeds in doing 125 Base is actually very decent and can do dents to some significant Pokemon.
I picked some common setters/leads that Azelf can dent.
252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 183-216 (60.3 - 71.2%)
-1 vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 192-226 (60.1 - 70.8%) (offensive rocker)
vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 232-274 (58.8 - 69.5%)
vs. 248 HP / 32+ Def Pelipper: 233-275 (72.1 - 85.1%)
vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 318-375 (88 - 103.8%)
vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 284-335 (85.8 - 101.2%) (usually sashed anyway)

While I agree it is certainly not good, in fact it is clearly the worst Suicide Lead you can pick, there are some niche situations where Azelf is useful, particularly because Landorus and Excadrill can both slot into multiple other roles, and therefore may not be available to use as your setter as well. At the end of the day I think it should be C- because it successfully does what it sets out to do, again, reliably get rocks up, provide momentum and in some situations get off some good damage and prevent your opponent from setting hazards.

I have to agree with this nom. I literally have never seen this thing in OU play at all. There are much better ways to set up a stealth rock than this abomination. I agree that Suicide Landorous-T is much better than this. I mean so many things check it, like things faster than it and priority attackers. There is barely a reason to use this mon when it can not rapid spin and probably only use stealth rocks. Excadrill does outclass it indeed. Also stealth rocks basically ruins it's main gameplay in general ( focus sash ), and stealth rocks are very common. The worst part is, you usually want to use this in the first game because saving it for later is not a good idea as the opponent probably already uses the stealth rock and it gets even worst when your defogger faints. Good point, Azelf to the shadow realm.
Azelf is faster than both Landorus and Excadrill so the point faster attackers and priority beats it is moot because this applies to them moreso. Also you will ALWAYS lead with Azelf, so you don't have to worry about your sash being broken by rocks. Again it can be useful to keep, gaining momentum with death fodder rather than letting frail HO attackers take a hit is very very useful, hence why it fulfills the role of Suicide lead.

Edit: I don't disagree that Excadrill does the job better, but that doesn't make Azelf totally unviable. Garchomp is still ranked, for example. I don't wanna post more because this is not really a big change either way. I just feel Azelf can do what it wants to, whereas to compare, Lycanroc-Dusk couldn't fulfill the role in OU that it was trying to achieve.

Also Azelf's speed helps in a number of situations, for example, Medicham can totally prevent Rocks from Excadrill and Landorus with Fake Out + HJK/Ice Punch, where as Azelf outspeeds and can get Rocks before the KO. With Excadrill you lose your Rocker and Spinner or have to swap something into a scary as hell HJK.

Last edited:
I'd like to disagree with this nom, Azelf does have a few little techs which certainly make it at least C- level pick as a Suicide lead. It's faster than both Landorus and Excadrill to start and it has access to Taunt and Magic Coat, which means it does more to prevent hazards than Excadrill or Landorus who can only remove and not prevent. Also Magic Coat is great to avoid Taunt, as when it is bounced back your opponent will not be able to Taunt you again, this is something neither Landorus or Excadrill can do. It also has access to Skill Swap, which does in fact allow it to set-up on Sableye and Diance which you seem to have glossed over. Also at base 115 speed I'm pretty sure it outspeeds most, if not all viable defoggers and spinners, so it can in fact taunt them and keep Rocks up.

I don't think not having much usability after setting up should be a huge factor in whether or not Azelf is viable, as it's a Suicide Lead, its role is to set Rocks and gain momentum, which it does, it can actually be useful to save some death fodder to gain momentum with HO at any rate. While Explosion is not as strong as other attacking options on Suicide Leads, the main role is to get some decent damage off and provide momentum, which again Azelf succeeds in doing 125 Base is actually very decent and can do dents to some significant Pokemon.
-1 252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 192-226 (60.1 - 70.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (offensive rocker)
252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 183-216 (60.3 - 71.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 232-274 (58.8 - 69.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 248 HP / 32+ Def Pelipper: 233-275 (72.1 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 318-375 (88 - 103.8%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 284-335 (85.8 - 101.2%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO (usually sashed anyway)

While I agree it is certainly not good, in fact it is clearly the worst Suicide Lead you can pick, there are some niche situations where Azelf is useful, particularly because Landorus and Excadrill can both slot into multiple other roles, and therefore may not be available to use as your setter as well. At the end of the day I think it should be C- because it successfully does what it sets out to do, again, reliably get rocks up, provide momentum and in some situations get off some good damage and prevent your opponent from setting hazards.

Azelf is faster than both Landorus and Excadrill so the point faster attackers and priority beats it is moot because this applies to them moreso. Also you will ALWAYS lead with Azelf, so you don't have to worry about your sash being broken by rocks. Again it can be useful to keep, gaining momentum with death fodder rather than letting frail HO attackers take a hit is very very useful, hence why it fulfills the role of Suicide lead.
Thanks for responding to my post, I'm glad you reminded me of some of Azelf's techs that I forgot. But even then, I still think Azelf should get unranked. I just think it gets wholly outclassed by Landorus in the suicide lead department and I think Azelf should just go down for that alone.
Yes, while it is true that Azelf gets Magic Coat that can block taunt which neither Landorus or Excadrill can do, I presonally think that having to use a prediction reliant move to seperate yourself from better picks isn't a sign of viability. Sure its a cool tech, but a lot of taunters can punish Azelf for using it with super effective moves, or moves that just do a lot of damage. Taunt is in a similar boat albeit less bad boat, where misprediction can hurt you, and its known that Azelf carries the move. Skill Swap is situational, and without Fire Blast, Kartana uses you as set-up bait / death fodder for beast boost. Explosion is also done much better by Landorus, and the only relevant defogger that outspeeds Landorus but not Azelf is Mega Latias. I do agree that suicide leads don't neccesarily need to have any more utility other than SR and suicide move, but having some more utility never really hurts. Landorus can utilize Swords Dance to clean and is also much better death fodder thanks to Intimidate, Excadrill can spread Toxics to defoggers, and remove hazards. I think its telling that even in the era in which Azelf was seriously used ( Birdspam Era) it soon got replaced by sash Excadrill who did its job much better.
In the end, I do agree that Azelf does has some cool techs, but I don't think its are enough to substantiate its rank, as unlike Aerodactyl, Altaria, and Scolipede, it doesn't do something that isn't already done, and precisely because its niche is incredibly, incredibly niche and while Taunt and Magic Coat are cool, in the end, Landorus does the same job as Azelf, but with points in speed reduced for more raw power, much better ability, and some utility if the situation occurs that it needs it.

EDIT: We really need to put Buzzwole back up in the VR, and this time we need to make sure that it happens. Nominating Buzzwole to somewhere in the Cs. If you want to see the arguements for a raise, just check out page 22, as the people there have much better arguments than I have

Last edited:

252 Atk Azelf Explosion vs. 248 HP / 8 Def Toxapex: 183-216 (60.3 - 71.2%)
-1 vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 192-226 (60.1 - 70.8%) (offensive rocker)
vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Clefable: 232-274 (58.8 - 69.5%)
vs. 248 HP / 32+ Def Pelipper: 233-275 (72.1 - 85.1%)
vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mamoswine: 318-375 (88 - 103.8%)
vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Araquanid: 284-335 (85.8 - 101.2%) (usually sashed anyway)

Also another small note is that Tapu Koko rarely run taunt anymore and anything that commonly runs taunt with higher base speed is almost non existent in ou rn

Garou

Banned deucer.
It has to be said that even if birdspam was still viable, excadrill is just directly better in every way than azelf. It can get rid of rocks, 1v1s other suicide leads such as azelf, and the fast taunt leads which can taunt exca are faster than azelf too. There is no reason to use azelf over excadrill in my honest opinion as the positives of taunt and explosion and a better speed tiers are far outweighed by excadrill having mold breaker and rapid spin to keep rocks off your side effectively in every scenario.

It has to be said that even if birdspam was still viable, excadrill is just directly better in every way than azelf. It can get rid of rocks, 1v1s other suicide leads such as azelf, and the fast taunt leads which can taunt exca are faster than azelf too. There is no reason to use azelf over excadrill in my honest opinion as the positives of taunt and explosion and a better speed tiers are far outweighed by excadrill having mold breaker and rapid spin to keep rocks off your side effectively in every scenario.
I agree entirely. Regardless of Azelf's better offensive utility and its access to a couple of cool niche moves, it just isn't viable and that's reflected in its near complete absence from the OU meta. The "well its good for birdspam/it's a good suicide lead" argument is silly because:

1. Birdspam doesn't get used anymore either so we're talking about an non-viable pokemon's value to a non-viable team archetype
2. With how common Defog is, suicide leads often aren't 100% effective at setting up and keeping hazards up for an entire match, nor are they effective at preventing enemy rocks from ever getting set up. The only place I see suicide leads is on webs teams (bad), and even those teams often keep their hazard setters alive long enough to guarantee that they have control of the hazard metagame. Since everything learns Defog, all it takes is one moveslot on one mon to completely invalidate these strategies, which is probably why suicide hyper offense isn't popular. Landorus-T and Excadrill don't always need to be suicide leads - they can swap out and come back later to Explode or Rapid Spin and still provide value to their team. With Azelf, Rocks+Explosion is just about all that it can do because it's so defensively useless that it can't find another chance to switch in.

Last edited:

I'm really struggling with how taking one hit from non Z-move SD Kartana is a plus - that set doesn't really exist. Jirachi has very little role in the metagame, it's an amazing Lele/Magearna check but that's really about it. It gives a ton of stuff free switch ins, and is super susceptible to knock off, spikes, rocky helmet / iron barbs, etc. chip damage. I agree with the other guy that the only real niche of Jirachi is that it is arguably the best Lele check for stall - however, even in that scenario it doesn't offer much else that other Lele answers do, and that often gives them the edge in teambuilding. Jirachi is also a good answer to Magearna, but one must take into account that gear can just volt switch on it most of the time - it is a good answer to offensive sets, but not a surefire counter by a long shot.

I honestly believe that AV Magearna is better in almost every scenario as a check to special threats because it has an offensive presence and can check many more pokemon that Jirachi can.

Scarf Jirachi is absolute trash I don't think there's much of a reason to use it over Landorus/Kartana/Latios or whatever. It's really weak, can't defog in clutch situations, and doesn't revenge kill relevant things that boost their speed. U-Turn for momentum and healing wish are nice tools but they don't make up for the fact that scarf Jirachi isn't much of a threat to anything.

I kind of think that Jirachi could drop even lower, but, then again, a lot of the mons in B- are unviable meme trash (Heracross, Stakataka). Not sure why quags is all the way down there when it has a very legitimate niche on stall teams, and is easily usable without any sort of fear of being outclassed.

HCJB

Banned deucer.
Thanks for responding to my post, I'm glad you reminded me of some of Azelf's techs that I forgot. But even then, I still think Azelf should get unranked. I just think it gets wholly outclassed by Landorus in the suicide lead department and I think Azelf should just go down for that alone.
Yes, while it is true that Azelf gets Magic Coat that can block taunt which neither Landorus or Excadrill can do, I presonally think that having to use a prediction reliant move to seperate yourself from better picks isn't a sign of viability. Sure its a cool tech, but a lot of taunters can punish Azelf for using it with super effective moves, or moves that just do a lot of damage. Taunt is in a similar boat albeit less bad boat, where misprediction can hurt you, and its known that Azelf carries the move. Skill Swap is situational, and without Fire Blast, Kartana uses you as set-up bait / death fodder for beast boost. Explosion is also done much better by Landorus, and the only relevant defogger that outspeeds Landorus but not Azelf is Mega Latias. I do agree that suicide leads don't neccesarily need to have any more utility other than SR and suicide move, but having some more utility never really hurts. Landorus can utilize Swords Dance to clean and is also much better death fodder thanks to Intimidate, Excadrill can spread Toxics to defoggers, and remove hazards. I think its telling that even in the era in which Azelf was seriously used ( Birdspam Era) it soon got replaced by sash Excadrill who did its job much better.
In the end, I do agree that Azelf does has some cool techs, but I don't think its are enough to substantiate its rank, as unlike Aerodactyl, Altaria, and Scolipede, it doesn't do something that isn't already done, and precisely because its niche is incredibly, incredibly niche and while Taunt and Magic Coat are cool, in the end, Landorus does the same job as Azelf, but with points in speed reduced for more raw power, much better ability, and some utility if the situation occurs that it needs it.

EDIT: We really need to put Buzzwole back up in the VR, and this time we need to make sure that it happens. Nominating Buzzwole to somewhere in the Cs. If you want to see the arguements for a raise, just check out page 22, as the people there have much better arguments than I have
I disagree with your disagreement :P

For faster taunters that would OHKO Azelf if not for the sash, you can OHKO them back with Explode - usually easy worth you not getting Rocks down yourself (or use a secondary setter for that purpose). Even if they think that's your plan and switch, you get to dictate the next match-up, giving you solid momentum - a well made team should be able to threaten a potential bulky SR setter if there is one in. I've been playing Azelf and got close to ranking 1800, here's some replays of this in action (first 3 against 1700+ opponents, the last one I couldn't find a higher ladder Ash-Greninja OHKO match but it's extremely common):

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-708364011 - Mega Medicham OHKO after Fake Out
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-708320983 - Koko OHKO
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-708401332 - Koko OHKO
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-709327588 - Ash-Greninja OHKO

I wouldn't advise Magic Coat personally (as you say it requires prediction), Skill Swap is just fine for combatting Stall occasionally. HP Ice is also a bad idea due to Scarf Lando who can pivot out. While Azelf can't itself do much to opposing Excadrill leads, if you Taunt them you can switch into something that can 2HKO negating their sash as they Rapid Spin. The only leads Azelf can't deal with are Mental Herb Shuckle, and Sticky Webs Rimbombee - but they're not that common TBH. Against things like Lando when they could be scarfed, if they're paired with another mon that can set SR then the vast majority of the time that will be setter and Lando will be Scarf or Z-Move with Defog - so you should set SR as they U-turn out. This is of course an assumption and you will occasionally get Rocks on your side, but you also get Rocks on their side in the gambit so it's really not so bad (balance teams will usually Defog before you do) - and seeing as most do U-turn out the balance of getting Rocks in while they have none early game lies in your favour.

Another crucial aspect is that Explode blocks Defog for a turn, as Defog requires a target to land. Seeing as their Defogger is also chunked by Explosion, this helps Rocks to stick for the entire match if you threaten it out. While Lando can also Explode, there's a lot of OU relevant Defoggers which outspeed it (Zapdos, Kartana, non-Scarf Lati Twins, Mew, the rare Gliscor), which is not the case for Azelf. If you're running an Adamant Lando you can add things like Fini and opposing Landos to the list too that Azelf handles better.

I think C- is perfectly fine for it, as it's still a well functioning anti-meta lead that performs with a high level of consistency so long as you're away of its pitfalls. It's only fit for certain teams (i.e. HO that hates Rocks or other hazards mainly, which is most of them), but I don't think it's become totally irrelevant by any stretch.

Last edited:

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
All of the buzz surrounding Buzzwole in this thread strikes me as more of a bandwagon reactionary movement formed on the pretenses of hype and wanting relatively novel, cool things to have viability when they really do not (or hardly do, not enough to actually warrant ranking/distinction) than anything legitimate.

I’m aware we forgot to vote on it last time and I’ll be the first one to own up to not including it (by accident) on the last slate for the VR Council, but when there is so much to cover, it isn’t easy to get everything, especially when this is not pressing or needed in the first place, in my opinion. Regardless, I will say that I intend to include Buzzwole in the following slate, so I hope people are happy with that prospect at least.

I do not wish to dedicate a lengthy post to Buzzwole itself as I do not want to derail my own thread or waste anyone’s time, but I will say that through facing a couple Buzzwole teams on the higher end of the ladder, it really doesn’t make much of a difference in a majority of match-ups. There are some games where it just happens to match-up well and then if it is played aggressively enough and then predicts well, it can make some progress, especially if it is a Substitute variant, but really there is no actual reason to integrate it onto a serious team. I just cannot see myself saying “oh hey, look — Buzzwole fits here really well” and that’s because it literally never does and the small niche that it does have is not one you remotely prioritize in teambuilding, not to mention it serves minimal defensive value at large (the role, not Buzzwole itself, which still isn’t a ton better on this front anyway ngl). All in all, you would have to build ‘around’ the mediocre Bug/Fighting type to pull it off and those teams all strike me as having major holes and inconsistencies in practice (or at least those that I have seen) and only one Buzzwole has seen tournament usage in as long as I can remember (and that was z0mOG on some jank full stall, so it doesn’t count for much, imo), so I cannot see much of a pressing, nor convincing in any regard argument for Buzzwole being ranked.

Hi I would like to add in

Ash Greninja to > A

I know to some this might seem crazy, but hear me out. With the rise of Assault Vest Bulu Toxapex Scarf Kartana, New deffogers such as Torn Gliscor and Scarf Lando removing one of Ash Greninjas biggest weapons "spikes" and Ferrothorn being as good as ever I don't think this seems as far of a stretch, With the core of Bulu + Toxapex making it harder to achieve its ash form and even Chansey rising in usage I think ash greninja might possibly be candidate for a drop. With the jump to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon the meta didn't change much, but what we got was new deffogers and meta trends that don't really favor Ash Greninja.

Pls don't hurt me :p

Last edited:

Ash Greninja to > A

I know to some this might seem crazy, but hear me out. With the rise of Assault Vest Bulu Toxapex Scarf Kartana, New deffogers such as Torn Gliscor and Scarf Lando removing one of Ash Greninjas biggest weapons "spikes" and Ferrothorn being as good as ever I don't think this seems as far of a stretch, With the core of Bulu + Toxapex making it harder to achieve its ash form and even Chansey rising in usage I think ash greninja is a candidate for a drop. With the jump to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon the meta didn't change much, but what we got was new deffogers and meta trends that don't really favor it Ash Greninja

Pls dont hurt me :(
Alas, but you will be hurt. While you are right that all those pokemons are on the rise, to put Ash-Greninja down to A would be a huge mistake. For one thing, spikes are still a huge asset to it, and thanks to them, they can help ease troubles with Toxapex and Bulu. Kartana can only revenge kill non-Water Shuriken locked Ash-ninja, and none of those defoggers you listed one v one Greninja. But you are right that all those hurt Ash-Greninja, but the main reason why I disagree is that for the most part. Ash-Ninja is miles ahead of the pokemon currently residing in A. In every match-up it goes into, it will always make an impact, whether by beating pokemons with high-powered Hydro-Pumps and Dark Pulses, or laying Spikes to help out teammates, to revenge killing with its high speed and Water-Shuriken, to just threatening opposing pokemon. No other pokemon in A can claim to have these effects over the course of the battle. While none of the pokemon in A are match-up based, they all tend to have one or more games in which they have no use at all. Ash-Greninja doesn't have this problem thanks to qualities I just listed. For what its worth, Ash-Greninja is still miles ahead of the competition of A, even though its viability is slightly hurt by all the influx of the counter-measures you just put up.

Ash Greninja to > A

I know to some this might seem crazy, but hear me out. With the rise of Assault Vest Bulu Toxapex Scarf Kartana, New deffogers such as Torn Gliscor and Scarf Lando removing one of Ash Greninjas biggest weapons "spikes" and Ferrothorn being as good as ever I don't think this seems as far of a stretch, With the core of Bulu + Toxapex making it harder to achieve its ash form and even Chansey rising in usage I think ash greninja is a candidate for a drop. With the jump to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon the meta didn't change much, but what we got was new deffogers and meta trends that don't really favor it Ash Greninja

Pls dont hurt me :(
While I understand your point my vote would go to
staying in A+. Though its a real pain its not a OHKO on many mons, Water Shuriken is a fantastic priority move in an extremely fast meta, requiring only a little chip to handle fast sweepers and Scarfers which could otherwise break through teams.
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja-Ash Water Shuriken (20 BP) (3 hits)
vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Kartana: 201-237 (77.3 - 91.1%)
vs. 152 HP / 8 SpD Hawlucha: 243-288 (72.5 - 85.9%)
vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-Therian: 402-486 (126 - 152.3%)
vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Koko: 210-252 (74.7 - 89.6%)
vs. +1 0 HP / 4 SpD Volcarona: 216-258 (69.4 - 82.9%)
vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Swampert-Mega in Rain: 228-273 (66.8 - 80%)

So to support your argument, I'd definitely say the fact it cannot stop these sweepers from 100% its a real pain. Also the lack of power and essentially a lack of priority before a KO is pretty detrimental, as if you haven't transformed yet and these mons are causing you trouble its a potential loss. The rise of defoggers, some special walls and the increasing speed of the meta I'd agree work against Greninja.

However on the flip side, Hydro Pump is still very strong in both forms and it threatens a lot of potent mons, like Lando, Heatran and Volcarona. It's speed stat is still pretty stellar even before transforming and its great for breaking down physical walls like Skarmory and Mega Scizor. Although yes, there are more defoggers, hazards can make it so Greninja is near unstoppable once transformed. It forces a lot of switches due to its efficiency as an offensive pivot, so it can set Spikes itself. Toxic Spikes and/or Stealth Rocks is on almost every single team right now and forcing a Defog/Spin is a great way to get some momentum. It also has great synergy with a lot of setters, particularly Toxapex, which resists a lot of Greninja's weaknesses (Bug, Fairy, Fighting and neutral to Grass). Lastly, under rain Greninja packs a hell of a punch, all the above calcs are OHKO's, which is bordering on broken. All this to say, while this mon requires some support to reach its full potential, it still threatens as A+ due to the numerous support options and how common they are anyway. This whole post also says nothing about its wallbreaking potential, only speed control and cleaning.

Last edited:

Ash Greninja to > A

I know to some this might seem crazy, but hear me out. With the rise of Assault Vest Bulu Toxapex Scarf Kartana, New deffogers such as Torn Gliscor and Scarf Lando removing one of Ash Greninjas biggest weapons "spikes" and Ferrothorn being as good as ever I don't think this seems as far of a stretch, With the core of Bulu + Toxapex making it harder to achieve its ash form and even Chansey rising in usage I think ash greninja is a candidate for a drop. With the jump to Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon the meta didn't change much, but what we got was new deffogers and meta trends that don't really favor Ash Greninja.
Ash Greninja A+=>A

I aggre with this nom. My main issue, other than bulky grasses and chansey becoming really popular, is that ash gren really isn't that threatining without transforming (at least in my battles vs it), and if it doesn't ko the 'mon its facing, its gona die (due to its bad bulk). However, gren is a very good 'mon when it transforms, and when it comes out, people swich in their tapu/chansey/mantine/magerna or any bulky grass or water type, or special wall (which eveybody has at least 1 of ).

Serperior B-=> C+

There's no reason to use this guy. While contrary's a good ability, serp has a poor movepool, and like BladeofFriendship said, hetran, who's really common right now, walls this guy to hell and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)