The Everything NFL Thread v2.0

Well homer, I'm certainly not the only one bitching about the refs. You know why that is? Because they were fucking terrible. I'm not sure why you care anyway, your bitching at me isn't going to change my opinion any more than my bitching is going to magically teleport the Lombardi Trophy from Pittsburgh to Arizona. But I guess you can bitch if you want. *shrug*

People say last year's Super Bowl was boring until the fourth quarter. (Notice the fourth quarter is NOT included!) I'm saying that, if last year's game was boring, so was this game. It was a fairly low-scoring first three quarters and, with the one noted exception (Harrison's fraud TD), not a whole lot of exciting plays went down. I personally enjoy a defensive struggle so these aren't even my criticisms.
I just can't believe how much hate you have for the Pittsburgh Steelers...You have constantly bashed them at every chance you have gotten. The refs were fucking terrible, both ways. There were a lot of calls that should have never been called (once again these went both ways). I would get into specific calls, but honestly that would just take a lot of time.

Now, you said one thing that really pissed me off, "Harrison's fraud TD". How the hell was that a fraud TD? Are you going to tell me that he never crossed the line with the football before he was down? I watched that play so many times, over and over...He was on Larry Fitzgerald's leg/foot and got over the line because of that.

Jumpman16

np: Michael Jackson - "Mon in the Mirror" (DW mix)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
People say last year's Super Bowl was boring until the fourth quarter. (Notice the fourth quarter is NOT included!) I'm saying that, if last year's game was boring, so was this game. It was a fairly low-scoring first three quarters and, with the one noted exception (Harrison's fraud TD), not a whole lot of exciting plays went down. I personally enjoy a defensive struggle so these aren't even my criticisms.
If these aren't your criticisms, why lead off your whole tirade with how this Super Bowl wasn't that great because there weren't exciting plays before the fourth quarter? Don't give these "football fans" the dignity of a response by even giving that any credit. It's a stupid thing to say pretty much every way you look at it, because if it's something like 14-0 at the end of the 1st quarter or 24-3 in the middle of the 2nd, you'll have people saying "oh wtf this was over early, boring!" If you have 0-0 at the end of the first half, "wow no score? boring!!!!" These kinds of people are the retards who think football should be some high scoring affair with points on every drive, and they can fuck off to Arena League Football for all I care. (Oh, wait, they can't this year cause it's on strike for 2009, lol)

And that says nothing of the fact that, again, the Steelers had the best defense in the league. So if you were expecting Fitzy to light them up early, but also for the Steelers to constantly score as well because 21-0 Cards at the beginning of the 2nd is every bit as "boring" as whatever the fuck you think you watched yesterday (unless you are, you know, Cards fans, or...Steeler haters), you are a retard. These people are illogical and irrational—if you don't like defensive struggles, fine. But don't piss and moan when you aren't treated to high-flying plays every possession, because that's not how football works. Especially not against arguably the best defensive unit of all time. Unless you didn't know the Steelers play "good" defense out of your own ignorance because you're...not really a football fan, in which case you should therefore just sit back on the couch and tune in to the ads for your Super Bowl entertainment.

It was great SB, but the last play really bugs me. At first I thought it wasn't a fumble and I new they were going to review it. But the way I felt, the refs looked at it once and decided it was fumble. I thought they should have looked at it more thoroughly then they did. I just didn't like how it ended, Damn refs.

With the 15-yard penalty, had it been ruled an incomplete pass, the Cards would have been on what, the Steelers 30ish?

I'd say with Warner, Fitzgerald, and Boldin, that's a very makeable touchdown.

I'm not saying I think it was an incomplete pass, because I'm not entirely sure either way, but that's why I'm not a ref either. I just would have liked to see them review it is all.

lol yeah come on - Kurt Warner had like 180 yards in the fourth quarter! It is by no means a mortal lock, but a 30-40 yard pass at that point is not like a hail mary for any other team, it is for a team that just passed 180 yards in a quarter or whatever behind the best wide receiver pair in football (+ Breaston and whoever else would be out for the play). By no means a lock, but not the barely possibility some of you are writing it off as.

Either way, it was not an especially well played game on either side before the fourth. The Cardinals missed so many tackles on Roffles and that, if anything, was the biggest difference I think.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
dudes, seriously, stop complaining about that blown call
It's not like a hail mary would've done anything
for the last time
Then for the last time, shut the fuck up. You apparently forgot the fact that Larry Fitzgerald is 8 feet tall.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
To be honest, I think Kurt Warner or Larry Fitzgerald deserved the MVP honors a bit more than Holmes. However, I think Holmes was an integral part of the most crucial plays of the game, so he was a legitimate choice. I agree though, losing team MVPs would be nice to see when they are deserved.

I think Harrison should have got the MVP, because HE was the one who won the game. If he doesn't make his int return for a touchdown and the Cardinals score, Holmes' TD doesn't mean anything. If he scores but Holmes doesn't, the Steelers can still kick a field goal and send the game into overtime. I dunno, Holmes is a great player and everything and the catch he made at the end was spectacular, but it really would be nice to see a defensive player get some recognition.

Jumpman16

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
if harrison doesnt score at the end of the first half for whatever reason it changes the entire complexion of the rest of the game, so you cant really say that

Agreed with everyone about the play at end the game. The point of it is that something really spectacular could have happen if it was ruled a incomplete pass. But we will never know now........

I think mvp could have gone to many people, but I do understand why Holmes got it.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Harrison probably would've had MVP locked up if (1) the Holmes TD catch wasn't super-amazing (2) he wasn't such a dirty fuck on that punt. IIRC he was even the one who forced the "fumble" to end the game.

I've pretty much decided to ignore WB but...

Now, you said one thing that really pissed me off, "Harrison's fraud TD". How the hell was that a fraud TD? Are you going to tell me that he never crossed the line with the football before he was down?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Sure, he crossed the line. His head and shoulders were in the endzone when he came down, duh. The question is whether or not the football was across the goal line, which was tucked into his chest under his arm. I maintain that it was not.

If these aren't your criticisms, why lead off your whole tirade with how this Super Bowl wasn't that great because there weren't exciting plays before the fourth quarter?
When people talk about how last year's Super Bowl was "boring" they say it's because nothing happened until the fourth quarter. "it was only 7-3 blah blah blah" Too many people are in the mindset that low-scoring = boring. This is just what many "fans" say, I do not personally agree. But except for that ONE play, what did we get this year? A very similar first three quarters compared to last year. (Take away that TD and it's 13-7, which is a whole FG off what last year's game was entering the fourth quarter.) And yet, many of these same people are saying how oh-so-amazing this game was in comparison. One play makes all the difference I guess? *shrug*

It was a good game, granted I was disappointed at the Cards being down most of the game and the officiating in general (fueled even more by my Steelers hate, but even as a neutral fan it was pretty bad). But the game stayed close throughout, defenses played well, and the end of the game was as electric as ever. I also don't think it compares to last year, nothing really can compare to beating the unbeatable and preventing what would have been an all-time historic run for the Patriots. :/

Harrison probably would've had MVP locked up if (1) the Holmes TD catch wasn't super-amazing (2) he wasn't such a dirty fuck on that punt. IIRC he was even the one who forced the "fumble" to end the game.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying. Sure, he crossed the line. His head and shoulders were in the endzone when he came down, duh. The question is whether or not the football was across the goal line, which was tucked into his chest under his arm. I maintain that it was not.

When people talk about how last year's Super Bowl was "boring" they say it's because nothing happened until the fourth quarter. "it was only 7-3 blah blah blah" Too many people are in the mindset that low-scoring = boring. This is just what many "fans" say, I do not personally agree. But except for that ONE play, what did we get this year? A very similar first three quarters compared to last year. (Take away that TD and it's 13-7, which is a whole FG off what last year's game was entering the fourth quarter.) And yet, many of these same people are saying how oh-so-amazing this game was in comparison. One play makes all the difference I guess? *shrug*

It was a good game, granted I was disappointed at the Cards being down most of the game and the officiating in general (fueled even more by my Steelers hate, but even as a neutral fan it was pretty bad). But the game stayed close throughout, defenses played well, and the end of the game was as electric as ever. I also don't think it compares to last year, nothing really can compare to beating the unbeatable and preventing what would have been an all-time historic run for the Patriots. :/
I think you did not understand, or read carefully my post. Please, re-read it...You're trying to make me sound like a dumb ass.

I maintain that it was.

no one said last year's game was boring

i enjoyed this game more than last year's because of the unbelievable INT return, amazing cardinals comeback (would have been the biggest in super bowl history), and how unbelievable it was that the steelers would be able to comeback and score after that deflating cardinals comeback. not to mention the cardinals defense doing something amazing and stopping the steelers red zone offense TWICE in the same drive.

the comebacks in this game > giants comeback

but this is coming from a steelers fan so whatever. imo this game was better lol.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Some people might say this is because you know I'm right, but I'm not going to further escalate a stupid argument by assuming. I don't think either of us is going to budge on our opinions, so fuck it I'll just leave it alone.

ANYWAY I'm going to agree with Jumpman that Harrison's TD didn't win the game for the Steelers. Had that not happened and the Steelers gone down 14-10 at halftime, the game plan probably would have been different in the third quarter. You simply play differently when you're down 14-10 rather than up 17-7.

I also agree with Harrison not getting MVP honors because his behavior on the punt play was simply unacceptable. I think flagrant personal fouls like that one should carry a higher penalty, like 20 or 25 yards. Though the guy was probably jawing at him during the play, all the refs can see is Harrison decking the guy. Provoked or not, you have to control your temper in football or your team will be hurt by it. Obviously some players still haven't learned that.

also, i'm confused about something.

are you sure that had the warner fumble been challenged and overruled, the steelers would have been penalized 15 yards for taking their helmets off, retroactively? for some reason i can't agree with penalizing a team for taking their helmets off after gaining possession (which is not a penalty), and then getting the possession overturned and flagging for 15 yards. isn't there an exclusion for that penalty if the team at first gained possession but then got it overturned?

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
You're not supposed to remove your helmet while on the field of play and I doubt there's some special exclusion for having a questionable call overturning the field call. On the subject of penalties, Holmes used the ball as a prop in his TD celebration. *cough* Now, I don't agree with celebration penalties to begin with, especially not considering the circumstance, but it technically should have been called!

Harrison so got away with that shit he pulled. It doesn't matter the length of the penalty, WB, since the punt was down at the 2 and all he lost his team was a yard. -_- He should have been ejected or fined/suspended, which I assume isn't going to end up happening.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus

Honestly, how was this an unsportsmanlike conduct call? The ref should have called assault and removed that bitch from the game.

Also, that "fumble" at the last five seconds was bullshit. By the defination that they used earlier in the game, that should have been intentional grounding or incomplete, as his arm was still in motion, and he still had control! Apparently rules must change in the middle of a football game.

And yes, that last five seconds would have made a difference. Fitzgerald can catch ANYTHING. He probably is the best WR in football history, better than Jerry Rice and Randy Moss. He doesn't even have to be OPEN for him to catch it. That's fucking insane.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
He probably is the best WR in football history, better than Jerry Rice and Randy Moss.
Lol @ you saying "Randy Moss" in the same sentence as "best WR in football history". What a crock of shit. Fitz is amazing, but let's see how a little more of his career unfolds before we enter him in that discussion.

And I do agree with MrE here, it should have been a fine or something. And the way they've been handing out fines this year, I'm surprised they didn't. Oh well, I guess it's not a big deal now. I'm sure Tomlin let him have it on the sidelines.

Jumpman16

You realize that you don't agree with these "fans" on what makes an exciting game, and then state that "many of these same people are saying how oh-so-amazing this game was in comparison" which actually qualifies that these "fans" are idiots whose collective opinion is not worth arguing against, let alone acknowledging, right? Ok.

For what it's worth, I really, really think I agree with you 100% even taking into account my obvious, longtime and undying love for the Steelers. I hate the Patriots so much (mainly for them beating the Steelers so often pretty much all decade but also because Belichick is a dumg (BAN ME PLEASE) and also Spygate didn't help their case), and that hatred/desire to see them fail was intensified by 18-0 on the brink of like literally "beating the game" in a way that is really not comparable to anything and never will be. I would probably suck Steve Spagnuolo's dick irl if I "had" to, he saved the world as far as I'm concerned. Part of me valuing the Patriots' demise last year more than the Steelers' win this year has to do with the fact that the Steelers won three years ago and I would have been secure with us not winning another SB for like another ten or so years, but yeah.

You're not supposed to remove your helmet while on the field of play and I doubt there's some special exclusion for having a questionable call overturning the field call. On the subject of penalties, Holmes used the ball as a prop in his TD celebration. *cough* Now, I don't agree with celebration penalties to begin with, especially not considering the circumstance, but it technically should have been called!

Harrison so got away with that shit he pulled. It doesn't matter the length of the penalty, WB, since the punt was down at the 2 and all he lost his team was a yard. -_- He should have been ejected or fined/suspended, which I assume isn't going to end up happening.
Did anyone else see when Kurt Warner took his helmet off on the field? (This was the play when he was trying to get rid of the ball...but it was originally called a fumble.) It technically should have been called....

GB_Packers_Ftw

LOOKS LIKE FAVRE GOT SHUT DOWN
i cant believe i was able to resist posting here the entire season i wanted to so bad. But just wait because we are going to sign julius peppers and we are going to the ship baby 2009 Packers-Bills is your superbowl enjoy, u heard it here first

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)