Pokémon Tapu Koko

Status
Not open for further replies.
love how the first comments at the beginning of the thread here are all about how those posting don't think koko will be that used while its now on about every team you see and doesn't seen to be going anywhere.

I also wonder if when they release the rest of the mega stones if we will start seeing Pelipper,Koko, and Mega Manectric cores. Manectric firing off fully accurate thunders in electric terrain while volt switching into other switch spammers is a scary thought.

Last edited:
Hi starry blanket

I've been meaning to do a thread on Tapu Koko but it seems you've ready beaten me to it lol. So anyways, here's the set I'm currently using for Tapu Koko. It's similar to the Choice Set you mentioned but it utilises U-Turn instead. Weird as it sounds, I think U-Turn may come in handy over Volt Switch due to the abundance of ground-types in OU, as well as the newly improved Arena Trap, Dugtrio (now sporting base 100 in Atk)! The advantages of using U-Turn is that it prevents Tapu Koko from getting trapped by Dugtrio, as well as to avoid awkward encounters with bulky ground types. I don't know...I feel U-Turn is worth a mention on the Choice Set as it minimises getting locked against something Tapu Koko wasn't ready for e.g. Hippowdown (if it lacks Grass Knot). U-Turn can provide the switch initiative, while Thunderbolt can provide the electric power. What do you think? By the way, isn't Hidden Power Flying a better option over Brave Bird? It lacks the recoil and hits M-Venusaur and Tangrowth much harder (it also avoids the potential Rocky Helmet from Tang).

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs

Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Thunderbolt
Dazzling Gleam
Hidden Power Fire
U-Turn / Volt Switch

P.S. Electric, Fairy, and Fire seems to offer the best coverage for Tapu Koko, especially since HP Fire KO's Ferrothorn. The main mons that resist this coverage seems to be Fire and Ground types Pokemon like M-Camerupt and Groudon. U-Turn comes in handy against these threats, including Mega Venusaur ^^

Last edited:
Hi starry blanket

I've been meaning to do a thread on Tapu Koko but it seems you've ready beaten me to it lol. So anyways, here's the set I'm currently using for Tapu Koko. It's similar to the Choice Set you mentioned but it utilises U-Turn instead. Weird as it sounds, I think U-Turn may come in handy over Volt Switch due to the abundance of ground-types in OU, as well as the newly improved Arena Trap, Dugtrio (now sporting base 100 in Atk)! The advantages of using U-Turn is that it prevents Tapu Koko from getting trapped by Dugtrio, as well as to avoid awkward encounters with bulky ground types. I don't know...I feel U-Turn is worth a mention on the Choice Set as it minimises getting locked against something Tapu Koko wasn't ready for e.g. Hippowdown (if it lacks Grass Knot). U-Turn can provide the switch initiative, while Thunderbolt can provide the electric power. What do you think? By the way, isn't Hidden Power Flying a better option over Brave Bird? It lacks the recoil and hits M-Venusaur and Tangrowth much harder (it also avoids the potential Rocky Helmet from Tang).

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs

EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Thunderbolt
Dazzling Gleam
Hidden Power Fire
U-Turn / Volt Switch

P.S. Electric, Fairy, and Fire seems to offer the best coverage for Tapu Koko, especially since HP Fire KO's Ferrothorn. The main mons that resist this coverage seems to be Fire and Ground types Pokemon like M-Camerupt and Groudon. U-Turn comes in handy against these threats, including Mega Venusaur ^^
Brave Bird is a good option in one case: the (actually kinda good) Physical Set. Even if it does free Hidden Power to be some other coverage, I think Koko's special movepool is good enough for Brave Bird to be not needed outside of a Physical Set.

Brave Bird is a good option in one case: the (actually kinda good) Physical Set. Even if it does free Hidden Power to be some other coverage, I think Koko's special movepool is good enough for Brave Bird to be not needed outside of a Physical Set.
Unnnn...you're right, however, Tapu's physical move pool is really bad i.e. it can mainly run things like Wild Charge, Brave Bird, U-Turn and Steel Wing? ...Oh wait and False Swipe! Just what we needed, lol (・ω・)b

You could try a mixed physical set (it's bad)? So anyways, I completely agree, Tapu can do well without Brave Bird i.e. you only need to switch out with Volt Switch or U-Turn and send in a better match up imo. Problem solved ^^

Edit: It can also learn Return... .. .

Hi PShine,

After careful consideration, I think you're right and I can see the benefits of using Brave Bird [BB] on a mixed set. The set below seems to work well with BB as its capable of 2HKOing a standard defensive M-Venusaur. Furthermore, it's as you said, using BB allows Tapu Koko to utlise another Hidden Power e.g. Fire and Ice.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
EVs: 16 Atk / 240 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
- Brave Bird

What do you think of this set? ^^

Last edited:
I've been wondering how well a physical set might do, utilizing Z Mirror Move (which gives a +2 attack first and then makes the mirrored move a z move of the same type), along with Brave Bird, Wild Charge and U Turn. You could z mirror move a weakened pokemon to KO and get an attack boost, then spam brave bird and wild charge to massively dent the opponent's team. U Turn could be used if you think theyll switch before you use z mirror move. Also, does using a Z move use up the z stone? Bc that might open up Acrobatics in place of Brave Bird

I've been wondering how well a physical set might do, utilizing Z Mirror Move (which gives a +2 attack first and then makes the mirrored move a z move of the same type), along with Brave Bird, Wild Charge and U Turn. You could z mirror move a weakened pokemon to KO and get an attack boost, then spam brave bird and wild charge to massively dent the opponent's team. U Turn could be used if you think theyll switch before you use z mirror move. Also, does using a Z move use up the z stone? Bc that might open up Acrobatics in place of Brave Bird
I am pretty sure that the Z-crystal does not get consumed after it gets used so brave bird is still your best bet. Z-miror move is interesting to say the least. Especially considering that most teams I see don't actually utilize a z-crystal at all so you will probably have your z-move open.

Well, I've been using a pure Physical set. It is not Band or anything but Wild Charge/Brave Bird/U-Turn/Roost with Terrain Extender and Fully offensive EVs hasn't been bad. Brave Bird and Wild Charge nuke grass types and your everyday Special Walls who think they have free setups, and Roost makes it not as suicide as it looks. Life Orb is kinda of a bad idea tough, specially in a Terrain centric team.

How do you guys feel about Thunder/Dazzling Gleam/U-Turn/Brave Bird when using Koko on a rain dance team? Brave Bird could really weaken grass types up a bit to make way for the sweepers.

Also, how are you guys feeling about u-turn vs volt switch? Are you getting blocked enough by ground Pokemon and Marowak to want to use U-Turn?

How do you guys feel about Thunder/Dazzling Gleam/U-Turn/Brave Bird when using Koko on a rain dance team? Brave Bird could really weaken grass types up a bit to make way for the sweepers.

Also, how are you guys feeling about u-turn vs volt switch? Are you getting blocked enough by ground Pokemon and Marowak to want to use U-Turn?
Lol, I thought the same thing and I believe U-Turn will be most effective on a Choice Set. My reasoning is that, since Choice items can easily be abused, and Tapu Koko forces many switches; having U-Turn will minimised the chances of the opponent taking advantage of you by switching in a ground like Dugtrio, or set up SD with a well timed Garchomp switch (dangerous situation to be in). Anyhow, with U-Turn you'll be able scout and switch without fear even against ground types.

P.S. U-Turn gives you the ability to switch and cause chip damage (without fail), while Thunderbolt gives you the power. Imo, I believe U-Turn is the superior option (mhm).

Oh, and Brave Bird with a Naive nature, Life Orb and 12 EVs in attack does a pretty good job of taking out bulky, grass types like Mega Venusaur (2HKO without SR).

Hey guys, I've been using a mixed Tapu set on the ladder, and it's been working well for me so far. What do you think of this set?

Koko Butter (Tapu Koko) @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Wild Charge
- Dazzling Gleam
- U-turn
- Roost

I've been running this as a mixed Wallbreaker to accompany Zard Y in the way of coverage, and it also helps deal with a few of the mons that give Zard Y trouble, such as Chansey and Lati@s.

Here are some calcs to shed light on exactly how well Koko deals with those mons in particular:

252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 348-411 (54.2 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko U-turn vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Latios: 221-260 (73.9 - 86.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 198-237 (66.2 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko U-turn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias: 200-237 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Life Orb Tapu Koko Dazzling Gleam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Latias: 174-205 (47.8 - 56.3%) -- 84.4% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Tapu Koko U-turn vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Latias: 200-237 (54.9 - 65.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Sorry for the wall of calcs, I just figured I needed some form of concrete evidence to show that it works.

So what are the best builds for in-game? Hidden Power is utterly impossible to control, since you must endure beating the Champion and going through the cutscenes for every soft reset.

So, if Hidden Power is not an option, which sets should I consider? Thanks!

So what are the best builds for in-game? Hidden Power is utterly impossible to control, since you must endure beating the Champion and going through the cutscenes for every soft reset.
!
You don't have to watch the cut scenes again. The first time you encounter it after becoming the champion simply run away. Then you can simply return to the alter once the all the cut scenes have played out, save and then interact with the alter to re-initiate the fight.

You don't have to watch the cut scenes again. The first time you encounter it after becoming the champion simply run away. Then you can simply return to the alter once the all the cut scenes have played out, save and then interact with the alter to re-initiate the fight.
That's wonderful, thank you! Perhaps I'll soft reset for Hidden Power after all.

Although, it really hurts me to put a damper on that base 115 Attack. are the physical/mixed sets strictly inferior and gimmicky? If not, what are the ideal builds?

if u wanna go physical, go Wild Charge, BB, HP Ice and either U-turn or Grass Knot with Zap Plate. The main draw of Physical Set is the stronger Wild Charge to nuke stuff like SpDef Tran, Tapu Lele, AV Magearna etc. BB is nice move to keep Grass Types at bay and it A-Marowak for strong damage. BB should only be used on the LO special set if your team struggles with Mega Venusaur.

if u wanna go physical, go Wild Charge, BB, HP Ice and either U-turn or Grass Knot with Zap Plate. The main draw of Physical Set is the stronger Wild Charge to nuke stuff like SpDef Tran, Tapu Lele, AV Magearna etc. BB is nice move to keep Grass Types at bay and it A-Marowak for strong damage. BB should only be used on the LO special set if your team struggles with Mega Venusaur.
After reading everyone's post and now this one, seems to me like "pure 100% physical" is not a thing... so are we thinking Naive, then, or "Jolly because it doesn't change any of our matchups"? (I'm no good with calcs so I can't test that).

EDIT: Also, EV spread?

What are the arguments for HP Fire or HP Water vs. HP Ice? Who do they cover differently? Is there a clear winner?

Please forgive noob-ish questions, I am indeed a noob.

Last edited:
252 SpA 252 Speed, Nature +Spe -Def

It has to be full SpA to OHKO Chomp/Landorus/Gliscor with HP Ice.
U-Turn so you're not annoyed with Ground when you want to pivot.
Brave Bird hits harder than HP Ice for Amoongus / Venusaur / Tangrowth for example that are annoying for Rain Team.
Otherwise, spam Thunder.

252 SpA 252 Speed, Nature +Spe -Def

It has to be full SpA to OHKO Chomp/Landorus/Gliscor with HP Ice.
U-Turn so you're not annoyed with Ground when you want to pivot.
Brave Bird hits harder than HP Ice for Amoongus / Venusaur / Tangrowth for example that are annoying for Rain Team.
Otherwise, spam Thunder.
Yeah, that makes sense. Hasty as the nature, huh? Sorry to keep asking questions, I'm just trying to understand - why lower Def, his higher stat, rather than SpDef?

Thanks for helping!

Yeah, that makes sense. Hasty as the nature, huh? Sorry to keep asking questions, I'm just trying to understand - why lower Def, his higher stat, rather than SpDef?

Thanks for helping!
The moves Tapu Koko normally draws in are ground type, and ground moves are usually physical. It's also why Kyruem B runs Mild or Hasty nature on mixed sets even though it's defence is higher

The moves Tapu Koko normally draws in are ground type, and ground moves are usually physical. It's also why Kyruem B runs Mild or Hasty nature on mixed sets even though it's defence is higher
So we would be inclined to keep his Def up, then? That explains why most mixed builds had Naive.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)