Pokémon Roserade

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always been sort of on-the-fence about having Fairy moves as coverage without STAB. Probably because it's a new type and I find it kind of weird, but how effective is having Dazzling Gleam? I mean most of the types it hits for SE on will either be dealt with by Leaf Storm and/or Sludge Bomb, or most likely can beat Roserade one-on-one despite being weak to it (Such as Weavile or Hawlucha for instance). Not saying it's bad because you can definitely hit some switch-ins for respectable damage, but is it worth it? I never tried the move out myself so I'm genuinely curious
Probably because of Dragons. Unless you want to swap out HP fire for HP ice, Roserade will have a hard time checking most dragon types like Dragonite and Salamence. Toxic spikes won't counter most dragons, because they just fly over those. Dazzling gleam indeed comes in handy fighting dragons, not to mention Yveltal and fighting-types.

Roserade can learn Acid Spray this gen? or serebii egg moves list are completed?
Unless Serebii's been data mining, the lists probably aren't complete yet. Once Pokebank is released, maybe it will open up more egg move options for Roserade.

Last edited:

Epikhairz

Anything goes
Sleep Powder + Spikes is definitely a huge buff for Roserade as it sets itself apart from other Spikers and can do an offensive Spikes set quite well, getting up free layers with relative ease thanks to status.

Also, has anyone tried Assault Vest Roserade? It's pretty decent imo and can sponge status well, and also gets decent recovery via Giga Drain, but I would like to hear from some others about it. The fact that it loses out on Rest, Spikes, and Sleep Powder isn't that great though :(

Dazzling Gleam isn't that much worth it, as Leaf Storm hits Dragons such as Garchomp who are neutral to it a lot harder. As for Dragonite and Salamence, staying in on them isn't the best idea :x. Roserade is still quite frail on the physical side. Though neutral STAB Sludge Bomb should be enough to get by.

I'm obsessed with this pokemon -- it's so good.

Sleep Powder is valuable on offense, and so are Spikes. The former provides free turns, and the latter is better WITH those free turns.

Having both on the same pokemon is not only unique, but very synergistic considering Roserade's typing. Things that resist its Grass/Poison stabs risk getting put to sleep (except Ferrothorn...), and thus allow for more Spikes or more attacks off dat base 125 Sp.Atk.

Also, it's a superb status absorber. Roserade is a mainstay on my team, so take that Venusaur. :P

Well, Dazzling Gleam has definitely done me some good. Dragons (specifically those with a 4x resist to my Grass STAB) either take out a huge chunk of HP or outright KO (especially with SR support to take 1/4 health from those pesky dragon/flying types)

Another notable mention about my Roserade is that people almost never fail to switch in Ferro, Genesect, or Scizor on it. Expecting STAB Leaf Storm, I HP Fire and get rid of them quickly. Roserade has gotten rid of those threats within 4 turns of every battle that I have encountered them in.

It also takes care of Talon to some extent. Depends on prediction, but most Talonflame users go for the SD expecting a switch. Unbeknownst to them, I stay in and KO with STAB Sludge Bomb.

Roserade also comes with a ton of nifty resistances, including Fighting, Water, Electric, and Fairy, all common attacking types in OU.

Technician Abuser

Roserade @ Life Orb/Black Sludge
Trait: Technician
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Magical Leaf
- Hidden Power [Fire/Ice/Poison]
- Sleep Powder / Synethesis / Aromatherapy
- Spikes / Toxic Spikes

I'm just testing out Roserade's Technician set, Magical Leaf is base 60 and never misses if you get trolled by accuracy lowering moves and after STAB and technician it's a base 135 move. Hidden Power of choice depends on what you want to hit, Dragons, Steels or Fairies. Sadly Roserade gets no Poison stab move with a base power of 60 or less besides Hidden Power, it was trolled with Venom Shock at base 65 sadly :-( (I was hoping for something like, clear smog or acid spray, imagine how amazing Technician Roserade would be with Acid Spray, has anyone tried breeding these moves on Roserade?) As for missing out on Natural cure, Roserade is immune to Toxic, Sleep Powder, Stun spore and Spore and only has to worry about Thunder wave (base 90 is ok but was never that fast) and Will o wisp (Meh) and maybe the occasional random Yawn, Hypnosis etc... Unless you hate Paralysis or want to use Rest or stronger Stab moves , technician will have a niche. If Status does bother you that much, there's always aromatherapy.

I know Technician is fun to use, but imo its mainly for abusing Hidden Power and in some cases grass knot (?). A full on technician set lacks the needed power to muscle through anything, it'd be better off with STAB Leaf Storm and HP Fire or Ice as coverage

What's a good speed to hit for Roserade? My team's pretty weak to Rotom-W, and I think I'm gonna try Roserade. The common Rotoms are quite resilient so I want Rose to be able to be able to stay alive, so no Life Orb for me. By the same reasoning, I want as much HP investment as I can spare. I want it to be switching in on Rotom as many times as possible. My set right now is:

Roserade @ Black Sludge
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 80 HP / 176 Spd / 252 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Spikes

I just chose Togekiss as a target. I figured being able to outspeed it and put it to sleep is helpful, or if my predictions are on point, fire off 2 Sludge Bombs.

However, I'm assuming max speed Togekiss and I'm almost certain that's not standard. Are there things around that 80 speed mark that's worth outspeeding? Maybe it's worth outspeeding some common Defoggers and putting them to sleep. Chandelure is 80 speed, but I'm getting the hell out if there's a Chandelure on the field (can't risk Sleep Powder missing or Chandy being scarfed).

I'm thinking of putting on a Modest nature and just beating Smeargle

Rose hasn't been amazing for me so far (just OK from what little I've played). I know HP Fire is awesome for things like Ferrothorn and the Bug/Steels, and I'm completely walled by those things, but I'm content with just spike and running and letting my allies handle whatever Rose can't. The theory here is that Rose switches in, does something nasty then quickly switches out. I need her alive for the long run so I don't need her staying in trying to kill everything

If you're wanting to outspeed Rotom-W, 96 EVs in speed lets it outspeed modest 220 speed evs rotom-w (aka Bulky Attacker Rotom-W) while 224 EVs allow it to outspeed max speed timid rotom (assuming it's tricked off scarf)

These are assuming a timid nature and 31 ivs in speed

As far as speed EVs go, 240 lets it outspeed max speed Excadrill, with a chance to OHKO with leaf storm

This thing demolishes Rotom-w. That alone is reason enough for my team to run it. The only thing it cares about is trick, or random shit like HP Ice.

I ran a double status setup back in early DP days with a lot of success on Shoddy Battle. I figure something could still work if you're reliant on status.

Roserade @ Black Sludge / focus sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
OR
4 HP / 252 SpA 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Stun spore / Toxic
- Leaf Storm
- Spikes / Aromatherapy / Sludge Bomb / HP whatever (With technician)

Basic plan of action is to Sleep powder whatever you're in on, or whatever switches in, then paralyze or toxic the switch. Leaf Storm is for great offense, and can destroy certain threats. Final moveslot depends on what your team needs. Roserade is a fantastic status absorber, but if your team is super weak to status, or your sweeper is burned, you can run aromatherapy. Spikes is good as well, if they have something like Blissey or a grass type that would be immune or not care about the second status. HP fire or sludge bomb are good options for a second offensive move if need be.

Big thing to be wary of is the nerf to powders, of course. Guts users can hurt as well, and there are pokemon that can absorb status nicely. Using the more offensive variant could put a nice hurt on things switching in if you predict well.

Epikhairz

Anything goes
If you're having trouble with Rotom-W, an offensive set with Rest pretty much counters it while giving you some offensive presence

Roserade @ Life Orb
Trait: Natural Cure
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SpA 252 Spe 4 SpD
-Leaf Storm
-Sludge Bomb
-Hidden Power Fire
-Rest

I would take Magical Leaf as opposed to Energy Ball; Technician boosts it to the same BP and ignoring evasion modifiers is always nice, with things like Muddy Water still legal. This is kind of something that would almost never be needed but it could come in handy.

This thing demolishes Rotom-w. That alone is reason enough for my team to run it. The only thing it cares about is trick, or random shit like HP Ice.
I actually don't mind eating a Trick or HP Ice at all. The offensive sets can be dealt with. It's the bulky sets that counter Talonflame (and happen to be really good against a lot of other stuff as well) that give me headaches. Actually, Trick scarf would be beneficial. Rotom steals an item that hurts it (so Rose has already done its job by sitting there and eating a Trick), and Rose becomes a nice Leaf Storm revenge killer. It would lose utility as a sleeper/spiker, but it's worth it just to see Rotom-W die to black sludge. In summary, whatever versions of Rotom that can deal with Roserade are not even problems to begin with

I was a bit meh on Rose at first, but I'm starting to like it more and more. It's got a lot of offensive tricks (Life Orb combined with Natural Cure/Rest, HP combined with Technician, Sleep Powder to get around counters) and also has the tools to be support. I'm using the spikes set, which gets walled by a lot of stuff (Poison/Grass is bad with no coverage moves) but I'm OK with that considering what it provides for the team

Hmm, Expert Belt or Specs? I really want to run a Technician set but can't decide.

I'm actually really tempted to forego a Grass move and go for maximum coverage options. HP Fire is great for Ferro, Scizor, Forretress, Aegislash. HP Rock is great for Gyarados, Talonflame. HP Ice is for Garchomp, Zygarde, Dragonite, Gliscor. HP Ground is needed for Heatran. HP Water is needed for Balloon Heatran. Argh...

If I were to use offensive Roserade, I'd probably go Life Orb with 3 attacks+Rest. Rose isn't gonna do it all. I'd just pick a coverage option (HP Fire is my choice for Ferro) and let teammates do the rest. Your grass attack can break Heatran's balloon which would let a teammate wreck it with EQ/Earth Power

Rest on a Technician set? I don't intend for Roserade to be a marathoner here, just to hit a crap load of things super effectively netting surprise OHKOs and maintaining pressure. Use Giga Drain if you feel so inclines to heal but even with good SpD the HP and Df isn't where it needs to be to mitigate offensive potential for mediocre healing, unless you're using Natural Cure, but Technician Hidden Power is too good to pass up imo. Life Orb is debatable.

But by running Technician you lose Natural Cure which is a godly ability. Rose is a great status absorber and he's strong against many pokes that rely on crippling others. But then again, 90BP Hidden Power is awesome, and really buffs his coverage (I love how Rose is powerful, but his movepool is so agonizingly dry). It really is a tough call. You have to ask whether your team is weak to status or not.

But remember, he does learn Shadow Ball, and ghost is a great neutral attacking type this gen. Slap a life orb on and he can wreck with an offense route.

EDIT: your post was deleted cause it was a reply to a deleted post.

Natural Cure is fine on some sort of general purpose set, but it's not required if you have other means of taking status, and it's not like Roserade really is bothered by anything other than Thunder Wave anyway, being immune to powder moves and Toxic, and WoW doesn't hinder his special attacking abilities. I think if you want all out offense like I'm looking at, Technician for Hidden Power is a no brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
This mon is a pretty beastly Rotom-W switch-in as Natural Cure ensures that it is not afraid of getting hit by status and it resists both of Rotom-W's STABS. Common switch-ins are Heatran/Ferro which you can easily cover with Hidden Power Ground/Fire respectively.

Natural Cure + Rest also allows you to keep your vitality up longer.

I feel that this mon is a bit of an underrated offensive pivot, fear of Sleep Powder limits their switch-in options until they are sure that you aren't running it. He should work well with Aegislash as well as he does not mind switching into some of his common answers, namely Quagsire and Gliscor.

Rotom-W is probably going to get extremely heavy use so Natural Cure might be more useful to help keep Roserade alive and capable.

I have been enjoying using this support set on Roserade:

Caltrop Queen
Roserade @ Natural Cure
Item: Black Sludge
Nature: Modest
EV Spread: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 Def
- Spikes/Toxic Spikes
- Rest
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb

This set does the following things well:
Lead, especially vs. Rotom (does not care about any of Rotom's moves except Trick, OHKOs with Leaf Storm)
Hitting Starmie, Greninja, Rotom-W and Donphan on the switch-in with Leaf Storm
Setting up Spikes on Breloom/Smeargle/Venusaur/Other powder/status dependent setups.
Completely murdering stall Trevenant/Gourgeist with excessive prejudice
Status Absorption (immune to Poison, absorbs Toxic Spikes, immune to Powders, Natural Cure/Rest for the rest, no pun intended)
Beating up on poor Azumarill (unless 'zuma's running Belly Drum + Aqua Jet).

This set does the following things badly:
Punishing Skarmory/Mandibuzz for coming in to setup/defog
Talonflame and Aegislash (gives them both a free Swords Dance)
Deal with Steel Types of any kind which can threaten her with SE moves

This is sort of a hybrid of the spiker and status absorber sets from the OP. She threatens a lot of mons with her STABs (just not steels) and can use this to set up spikes. She can also switch in for free on a lot of easy-to-predict status moves, get a spikes or a rest off, and then switch out, keeping her healthy throughout. She frequently and consistently outlives my opponent's hazard manager.

It would have to be used on a Quad-Attacking LO set, I think; HP Fire OHKO's Scizor and Ferrothorn, among others, and so is generally the more useful 3rd slot move. I guess I could see use on a Natural Cure Rest + 3 set, since you would not be getting the Technician boost on HP Fire, but I still think that even an unboosted HP Fire is the more versatile move.

Since you are running Natural Cure, I definitely think you should Rest, since Toxic Spikes + Venom Drench is amazing, you have to have that.
So for the defensive set, best thing you would do is Toxic Spikes / Venom Drench / Rest / Spikes or Leaf Storm.
As for the all-out attacking set, I'm pretty sure you'd want Dazzling Gleam, Leaf Storm, Sludge Bomb, and HP Fire. But Dazzling Gleam is replaceable with Shadow Ball depending on your moves.

A 60 BP Poison-type attack would have 120 BP factoring in STAB and Technician? Just use Sludge Bomb; it has the same.

Simply enough, offensive Roserade should make use of Technician, or Natural Cure if you want it to be less offensively-inclined but still offensive, and support sets should run Natural Cure most of the time.

Roserade only has HP for Technician, unless you want to rely on Mega Drain instead of Giga Drain (which wouldn't make sense), but yeah Technician HP Fire is absolute monster in OU, and so is Technician HP Ice, HOWEVER, you would lose your ability to absorb status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)