Poll for our default simulator tiering level

What should our default XY tiering level be?

• Level 50

Votes: 247 38.6%
  • Level 100

Votes: 393 61.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing from 100 to 50 will do for all intents and purposes nothing to the meta game. Yes, so-and-so might have a 3% chance to take one less hit, but overall the differences are negligible. The two are ONLY different in terms of who else uses them. Level 50 has the advantage of Nintendo backing, 100 has such backing to less magnitude. Going to 50 can do no harm. If your opinion is GameFreak doesn't matter, it doesn't affect you, if your opinion if you like consistency, it helps, even if only the slightest amount.
And if your opinion is that the last thing we need in a game where stall is already struggling is an extra little bit of power across the board, you kinda get the short end of the stick and have to deal with it.

I'd like to turn this around. What significant, objectively detrimental effects on the meta game would going to level 50 do? If there aren't any, why not change over?
Again, if you want to change the status quo, the burden is on you to provide solid reasoning. So far all you have is that it's backed by Nintendo, but last I checked, Smogon's metagames are independent of Nintendo. We have no mandatory Item Clause and the 600 BST pixies are not banned here (to name just a couple of differences), even though both of these are rules backed by Nintendo.

100 to 50 would change some sets (if anyone uses any old sets for a new gen without adjustment, they're silly) and change very few notable milestones, which would have most likely have shifted in relevance anyway. Adjusting it for most players would be changing a single number on the program. It's incredibly easy to alter and won't do anything, I still contend there's no reason not to.
I would actually rather just keep the lv.100 as a standard and acknowledge deviations therefrom in lv.50 in a "Guide to Wi-Fi Battling" or suchlike, since there doesn't seem to be significantly many.

Because I thought Smogon was a competitive Pokemon site. Not a competitive Pokemon simulator site.

You should be "pandering to wi-fi players" because that's what the vast majority of Pokemon play is. Simulators are nice for practice, experimentation, and for fun little exercises like CAP and the Other Metagames.

Getting to level 100 in game Is possible, yes, but it's a needless barrier. It's tedious and dull, and with the ease of breeding good, even perfect, Pokemon introduced in this generation, I don't see the harm in setting so that they're more convienient to switch from the sim to the real thing.
The vast majority of Pokemon play is probably a bunch of mooks spamming Dark Void a hacked uber...I REALLY don't see your point. As pointed out many times, Smogon, and competitive battling has existed long before wi-fi.

In fact, wi-fi due to its utter lack of non-self policed regulation is pretty much a joke in my eyes.

It's nothing more than a sideshow for people who wasted their money on the same old crap.

The vast majority of Pokemon play is probably a bunch of mooks spamming Dark Void a hacked uber...I REALLY don't see your point. As pointed out many times, Smogon, and competitive battling has existed long before wi-fi.

In fact, wi-fi due to its utter lack of non-self policed regulation is pretty much a joke in my eyes.

It's nothing more than a sideshow for people who wasted their money on the same old crap.
Then Smogon should stop pretending it's about Pokemon. Just admit everything is for the simulators and is worthless for actually playing the game.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Anything that has been said on this topic has already been said. Rational arguments that have been posted within this thread will be taken into account, and the leaders of the site will not make any decision they believe will be detrimental to the site as a whole. The constant infighting and insults coming out of this thread are not worth keeping it open.

Thank you to those who kept a level head in this matter. I apologize that more attention was not given to accurately representing the current argument when making this matter public. (I was actually unaware it was being made public, and the original post is simply my three-minute musings on the idea.) Please realize this discussion is not about competitive vs. casual or Smogon vs. Nintendo, although it may seem that way at first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)