SPOILERS! Pokemon Sword and Shield Datamine Thread

had someone point out that in my side-by-side of galarian rapidash and the ghorse (im calling it that), there were discrepancies. the most notable was the knees! this isn't actually to do with any differences in body structure, but rather the animation state (or lack thereof, possibly) of the ghorse.
View attachment 283367
both ghorse and calyrex are in extremely neutral states, which is abnormal for a render presumably taken from an animation. this same neutral pose can be seen in its "home render" where it stands, completely straight-legged, facing left and away from the camera.
View attachment 283369
I don't know about you, but I don't think the devs are so lazy that the only noteworthy difference between a legend and rapidash is that it... doesn't bend its legs or move its body parts at all?
I don't know, I get kind of the "serene beauty" sort of feel from the home style renders, and the calyrex rider animation might just be the "battle idle" state which are kind of infamously dull

I don't know about you, but I don't think the devs are so lazy that [...]
Be careful. You may end hurting sensibilities. Don't worry, as you've clearly stated up to this point in several messages, it's most presumably a fake. Without a shred of a doubt, I'd say. You said it: there's no way Game Freak can be this lazy. Let's be clear here.

That wouldn't be the laziest thing Gamefreak has ever done... And I'm talking just about this game's development process...
Oh, no...

Afaik Joe works entirely off of public knowledge. He probably believes it has a chance to be true and is making sure he's prepared for the scenario in which it is, which isn't impossible.
Certainly possible that it's a preparatory measure, especially since I couldn't verify when those placeholders were uploaded, but at the same time it seems odd to quickly and quietly adopt the -i and -s designations rather than using designations related to the actually publicly datamined info relating to their codenames and then changing it upon public release. It suggests at very least he may have enough reason to believe them to be willing to switch the designations over, if they weren't already uploaded previously.

He doesn't even have to believe these leaks. The horses codenames were datamined back in June/July by people who have been datamining the games since, what, Gen 6?
The "ice rider" and "shadow rider" classifications weren't, however. Curious choice of -i and -s for denoting the two forms instead of something like -w or -b for white and black or -h and -k for the datamined codenames of Hakuba and Kokuba.

I worked for Joe as the POTW writer through 5th and 6th gen and generally no he doesn't get insider info. He only gets the same leaks as the rest of us.

Once he actually had Nintendo threaten legal action against him because he used leaked pictures on his website lol.

It's possible he has insider info now but it's not like "his dad works at Nintendo" or anything. For the most part he gets the same info we do.
He has had at least some exclusive info in the past that was not publicly available, such as the localized names of characters, attacks, towns, and items in DP:

https://www.serebii.net/archive/April-2007.shtml (scroll to bottom for the post referred to in the tweet).

Joe previously has also quietly uploaded his site with info not generally publicly known at the time, such as the discovery of the XY mythicals well before reveal, though that was in the era when the 3DS had not been hacked, so it could have been communicated to him through someone like SciresM at the forefront of cracking the 3DS. (Though if I recall correctly the existence of the mythicals had been discovered by typing names into the GTS?). And it was after his BW-era cease-and-desist, so he wouldn't want to draw attention to it.

While I doubt he gets---or wants to know---everything, I would be entirely unsurprised to learn that these days he gets some advanced information or warning through friends/contacts, if only so he can prepare things in advance given that he is constantly having to update the site with all the currently active Pokemon media. He is also friends with Pokemon PR people on Twitter and others who have demonstrated that they've gotten advanced info through contacts at TPCi. (e.g., DuncanCantDie, who made a video claiming the region would be based on the UK before the reveal. As I recall, in later streams Duncan commented on how Joe warned him about what TPCi does to leakers and Duncan commented that he should have listened, and now has a contract with TPCi that prevents him from leaking any further information---though I am not tracking down the clip to verify this recollection :P).

Anyways, this is just to say I think it would be relatively easy for Joe to get a hold of some of this information---or for him to ask someone with that info if some alleged leak is legit and update accordingly. We'll know one way or another in a few days. I just thought it was worth a raised eyebrow. :)

I initially dismissed the Galarian birds' poses being incredibly similar to official art as the Centro leakers figuring they had images on their hands that they couldn't render, so they recoloured official art with the correct colours. (My memory of the Kirby Star Allies leak from its demo was that the data miners also showed evidence they could get some images and models, but I saw few to none of those pictures before release. However, the one leaked image of the final boss I did see and their textual report that one of the new hidden bosses matched old concept art in another character's art section were correct.)

If I don't see any different poses of the Galarian birds (or, heck, Calyrex or the new Regis), I'm getting even more suspicious. The awkward, almost ungrammatical mention of "green" in one of the Calyrex form Pokedex entries and the lack of proper names for the Calyrex form abilities already look suspicious to me.

I initially dismissed the Galarian birds' poses being incredibly similar to official art as the Centro leakers figuring they had images on their hands that they couldn't render, so they recoloured official art with the correct colours. (My memory of the Kirby Star Allies leak from its demo was that the data miners also showed evidence they could get some images and models, but I saw few to none of those pictures before release. However, the one leaked image of the final boss I did see and their textual report that one of the new hidden bosses matched old concept art in another character's art section were correct.)

If I don't see any different poses of the Galarian birds (or, heck, Calyrex or the new Regis), I'm getting even more suspicious. The awkward, almost ungrammatical mention of "green" in one of the Calyrex form Pokedex entries and the lack of proper names for the Calyrex form abilities already look suspicious to me.
The G-Birds' poses SHOULD match their official art, these are Home renders, that's what they're supposed to look like.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well now that I'm done with my daily Super Mario Bros 35 tasks, I might as well give my 2 cents on this like I said I would on Discord!

So this is gonna sound like a cop-out, but I honestly can't really tell if these horses are real or fake, and don't really care to try doing. If seeing the past decade of Pokemon leaks and fakes have taught me anything, it's that there aren't a whole lot of indicators for determining the authenticity of Pokemon images. Here are a few examples from past generations to show you what I mean! If you're not in the mood to read a somewhat long winded post though, you can skip to the ending to see my point!

Gen 4: The Fake Starters

Anyone remember these little mofos?

These were made by the notorious Purple Kecleon (who has a lot of nasty drama associated with them, but I digress). These drawings got people so good, Serebii posted them on his site assuming they were real! The idea was that they were Fighting, Dark, and Psychic, a rumor that had been swirling around for a while. You can try to get all Poke-detective as much as you want, but there weren't really any indicatiors that these were fake until they were revealed to be, no amautrish Japanese or anything.

Gen 5: "There's no way gamefreak can be this lazy right?" & "lmao fanart"

OK, so people already remember the starter leak fiasco pretty well, but I'd like to highlight another!

During the gen 5 leaks, a twitter handle (A spanish one I beleive) got ahold of the leaked Pokemon designs for gen 5. To avoid Nintendo's lawyers, they employed an unusual tactic: they'd post fan art of the Pokemon instead, along with their typings and a description! This sounded like the most fake baloney shit ever, and yet... they were 100% accurate. Yes, we saw fan art of Tympole before we saw offical artwork or spritework for it! And in fact, Tympole in particular had a lot of people saying "lmao thats an obvious fake, that thing looks stupid as fuck". Boy were they wrong!

This is more ancedotal, but I recall several people claiming the genies were fake too, because they shared so many design similarities with each other that they seemed almost palette swap like, which people thought "Gamefreak would never do that!" Of course, they were wrong, and I'm getting shades of that with people saying the horses look too similar to Rapidash. Remember, predicting Gamefreak isn't usually worth much, they actually aren't as predictable as you'd think!

Gen 7: "Cool fake starters" & "LOL NO WAY THE GIRD IS BACK"

Skipping to Gen 7 for now (I don't want to make this post too massive lol), there's two leaks in particular I'd like to highlight

Here are how the final evolutions for the gen 7 starters were leaked. Anyone remember these infamous concept art pictures?

I remember even Serebii claiming these HAD to be fake. Like, the confidential stamp is tacky as hell, and there's no way concept art of Pokemon would just leak like that, right? Well, I think you all know how this turned out!

Here's another leak, this time about Pokemon Let's Go. This picture had apprently been distributed among leakers for a while, but only Pokejungle of all places actually posted it!

I remember most people thinking this had to be fake. Square land masses, an Eevee on your head, and on-field Pokemon? Sounds like total nonsense right? Turned out, this was an early screenshot of Let's Go Eevee!

Gen 8: The Peanut Butter Dragon

I've been talking a bit too much about fake looking leaks that ended up looking real, so let's finish this off with an infamous fake!

Anyone remember this dude?

This was purported to be the first leaked Pokemon for gen 8 for a while. As most of you know, it ended up being fake. However, while there were suspicions about this due to the weird overlay, it wasn't really a for-sure fake until the creators uploaded a pretty in-depth youtube video about how they did it, here it is below!

My point in the end here, is that it's very difficult to tell a well-excucted fake from a real, if weird leak. There's been such a variety of strange fakes, bizzare leaks, and anything inbetween in the past 2 and a half decades of Pokemon that I think trying to play detective to prove if these horses are real or not might be a fool's erand. They're either the real deal, or leaks executed well enough that it's not really possible to tell, which has happened MANY times in this fandom's existance!

So really, nothing in this thread is convincing me one way or the other about these things. We'll find out in two days thankfully, so it won't be too agonizing a wait!

Last edited:
These were made by the notorious Purple Kecleon...
That name haunts me to this day. Never meet your heroes, folks. Or at least remember to be safe around them.

Here are how the final evolutions for the gen 7 starters were leaked. Anyone remember these infamous concept art pictures?
How could I forget? For me at least, this was the coolest leak in history. I had a roleplay account for the Water starter before the world had even heard the name "Primarina." The boys and I lost our marbles when official footage hit the news cycle and confirmed everything.

I realize this is all rather tangential, but in one post you managed to evoke two of my all-time lows and highs in this community. It's a good reminder of why I love to be here in spite of Gen 8's many annoyances. Thank you.

Last edited:
During the gen 5 leaks, a twitter handle (A spanish one I beleive) got ahold of the leaked Pokemon designs for gen 5. To avoid Nintendo's lawyers, they employed an unusual tactic: they'd post fan art of the Pokemon instead, along with their typings and a description! This sounded like the most fake baloney shit ever, and yet... they were 100% accurate. Yes, we saw fan art of Tympole before we saw offical artwork or spritework for it! And in fact, Tympole in particular had a lot of people saying "lmao thats an obvious fact, that thing looks stupid as fuck". Boy were they wrong!
Which fanart is it? I genuinely heard this for the first time. Gen 5 leak season was that real Starter evolutions that claimed to be fake. I would like to see this Tympole one

Which fanart is it? I genuinely heard this for the first time. Gen 5 leak season was that real Starter evolutions that claimed to be fake. I would like to see this Tympole one
The drawings weren't professional and were made from photographs of the sprites, so there were some imperfections in the art. Imagine seeing something like Scraggy for the first time like this and expecting it to be real.

Plus, i remember the list of the legendary Pokémon and seeing the last new Pokémon for Unova (a mythical!) be a Bug/Steel was kinda... unbelievable at the time.

The drawings weren't professional and were made from photographs of the sprites, so there were some imperfections in the art. Imagine seeing something like Scraggy for the first time like this and expecting it to be real.

Plus, i remember the list of the legendary Pokémon and seeing the last new Pokémon for Unova (a mythical!) be a Bug/Steel was kinda... unbelievable at the time.
Speaking of the BW leaks, the first name I read for that last, Bug/Steel mon was "Insekuta". ...Yeah, that name's wrong.

RoiDadadou

Nothing less... from a king.
is a Pre-Contributor
As always, I'll make my suppositions before the DLC release :
Glacial Lance : 90-100 BP Ice-type physical move, no contact, proabably a secondary effect. If there is one, then maybe 70-80 BP.
Astral Barrage : Multihit special Ghost-type move ? I want this to be real, but if not, then amaybe a good 95 BP Ghost Special Move, unless it comes with some good effects, then maybe 85-90.

As always, I'll make my suppositions before the DLC release :
Glacial Lance : 90-100 BP Ice-type physical move, no contact, proabably a secondary effect. If there is one, then maybe 70-80 BP.
Astral Barrage : Multihit special Ghost-type move ? I want this to be real, but if not, then amaybe a good 95 BP Ghost Special Move, unless it comes with some good effects, then maybe 85-90.
I'm reasonably sure they're simply spread moves with no special effect, a la Precipice Blades and Origin Pulse. I'm expecting 100BP at minimum, possibly more if they aren't 100% accurate. (I can see 100/100, 110/90 or 120/85 for both.)

Moves which are multihit generally explicitly say so by saying "his X to Y times" in the description. The description for Astral Barrage reminds me more of Judgment, so I think it'll be a single big hit despite the flavour.

With the actual power level, I think we'd be theoryzing about the impact of these Pokémon in OU instead of Ubers, namely because the ghost horse, as far as we know, can't get past Mandibuzz (let alone Yveltal and other Uber shit).

With the actual power level, I think we'd be theoryzing about the impact of these Pokémon in OU instead of Ubers, namely because the ghost horse, as far as we know, can't get past Mandibuzz (let alone Yveltal and other Uber shit).
Well to be fair, it's not to exclude a scenario of "rider UU, horses OU, rider+horse Ubers". It boils a lot to how their BST and moveset end up being, but it isn't unrealistic

Well to be fair, it's not to exclude a scenario of "rider UU, horses OU, rider+horse Ubers". It boils a lot to how their BST and moveset end up being, but it isn't unrealistic
That's it. Kyurem-B ended up in OU despite its BST because of its wack movepool. And even more important than the BST or the movepool, the thing that ultimately determines the impact of a mon is the metagame that already exists around it. It may be possible that a certain type combination just isn't adecuate to the present metagame, regardless of its stats. That's why I much prefer the theorymon assuming how well they'll do in OU instead of Ubers, which is an extremely closed and defined meta.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)