np: ORAS UU Stage 3.1 - Sex on Fire [Victini Remains BL]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be wrong about this (I haven't seen for myself ), but doesn't Mega Pidgeot rek NASCAR offense? All of Mega Pidgeot's checks are slower than a snail covered in molasses trying to climb an uphill slope.

I may be wrong about this (I haven't seen for myself ), but doesn't Mega Pidgeot rek NASCAR offense? All of Mega Pidgeot's checks are slower than a snail covered in molasses trying to climb an uphill slope.
Offensive teams check Mega Pidgeot with offensive pressure. It's rocks weak, has terrible defensive typing and mediocre bulk, has trouble finding opportunities to roost, and gets forced out by pretty much every scarfer in the tier. In addition 101 speed prior to mega evolution isn't that fast so it has trouble getting its mega evolution off in the first place against these types of teams.

In my experience fast HO teams are actually just as bad for Pidgeot as bulky teams filled with specially defensive threats, if not worse. I tried running Agility during the Victini suspect test to alleviate this, but those kinds of teams just don't give you the opening to get your setup turn. Was pretty nice for turning the tables on Mega Beedrill/Sharpedo, but that was about it.

I really, sincerely, do not like the argument that Pidgeot is bad because you have to have a check for it. If I made a team where all 6 mons lost to Salamence, or Hydreigon, or MAero that would just be fucking bad teambuilding or at the very worst an insane risk. Most every good team needs a check for every S tier mons, it is silly to think otherwise.

This is nothing for or against MPidgeot's banning itself, but that argument itself sucks.

Offensive teams check Mega Pidgeot with offensive pressure. It's rocks weak, has terrible defensive typing and mediocre bulk, has trouble finding opportunities to roost, and gets forced out by pretty much every scarfer in the tier. In addition 101 speed prior to mega evolution isn't that fast so it has trouble getting its mega evolution off in the first place against these types of teams.

In my experience fast HO teams are actually just as bad for Pidgeot as bulky teams filled with specially defensive threats, if not worse. I tried running Agility during the Victini suspect test to alleviate this, but those kinds of teams just don't give you the opening to get your setup turn. Was pretty nice for turning the tables on Mega Beedrill/Sharpedo, but that was about it.
The most relevant scarfers are Mienshao, Hydre, Hera, Ape, Chandy, and rotom-h/c. None of them can relaibly switch in to hurricane wkth rocks with the exception being rotom-h. Carrying a scarfer certainly does help, but they can only come in either after Pidge KOs something or slow switch where confusion hax doesnt screw you over.

SR weak and bad bulk are bad arguments (nothing personal against you, its just a popular argument when these situations arise since XY). This isn't BW UU where our hazard removers are limited to blastoise, hitmontop and a fast taunt user (azelf, froslass, etc..). We literally have Forrertress, donphan, tentacruel, Mandibuzz, Crobat, M-Blastoise and you can even go as niche as hitmontop if youre truly necessary (not recommended). SR weak and bad bulk hasnt stopped other BL mons; Thundy-T, Weavile, Staraptor, Victini, Pinsirite, etc.. so being SR weak doesnt mean a mon isnt broken.

The most relevant scarfers are Mienshao, Hydre, Hera, Ape, Chandy, and rotom-h/c. None of them can relaibly switch in to hurricane wkth rocks with the exception being rotom-h. Carrying a scarfer certainly does help, but they can only come in either after Pidge KOs something or slow switch where confusion hax doesnt screw you over.
Scarfers are part of an approach to dealing with Mega Pidgeot, but on their own they're just damage control that prevent Pidgeot from getting more than one KO any time it comes out. The other part of the equation is making it hard for Pidgeot to switch in and wearing it down whenever it does. Pidgeot's bulk isn't so much bad as mediocre; it's not built for trading blows, and relies on scaring its opponents into switching in order to stay healthy. It never wants to switch in on an attack if it can help it (unless it's using one of its immunities), and ideally wants to scare out pokemon it threatens with OHKO with Hurricane. If it can't bully your team into switching and eating hurricanes, and actually has to suffer attacks in retaliation, Pidgeot is quickly worn down. I do agree with you that rocks are not the be-all and end-all, but they certainly are a weakness and an important option for checking Mega Pidgeot that you'd be remiss to overlook.

Ducem, That example literally has zero relevance. You can do the same thing with shit like Lucario, Suicune, Mega Aero, etc. Also, you all are overplaying confusion way too much, you don't get confused every time you come in, stop acting like it. Next, running a faster Fighting-type is a perfectly viable way of dealing with Pidge Mienshao OHKO's most of the time from full. Other options like priority, which every offensive team should have, and just general whittle with Stealth Rock and hitting it on the way in. The reason Pidgeot's confuse chance seems "bullshit" is because Pidgeot is the one attacking and you are the one defending. Naturally, when something is attacking more often it is going to get that chance more often simply due to the fact that it has more opportunities. This is the same reason that switching into a Calm Mind war usually makes you lose since you start attacking after your opponent. Pidgeot thrives on passivity. If you decide to Heal Bell as Pidgeot comes in then sorry but you misplayed. Don't give it free switches and it's not a problem. That goes for Offense, Stall, and even Balance. If your team is prepared and you play actively then you will be fine.
That's the problem with pidge, it's very hard to not play passive against it, against offense especially. It literally gets a free turn whenever it comes in against anything slower than it since offense has like 1 or 2 things that can switch into it safely (disregarding the confusion chance) (I don't consider rotom a reliable check since it's 2hko'd after rocks). Against stall, the work up set is almost invincible...

Also
Getting confused+self hit on the same turn has the same chance as fire blast missing, just saying.

I do agree with you that rocks are not the be-all and end-all, but they certainly are a weakness and an important option for checking Mega Pidgeot that you'd be remiss to overlook.
My thing about rocks is that it would be more forgiving for MPidgeot than it would be say for MBeedrill and Rotom-H in so much that aside from having the option to recover it by merit of being played as a wall breaker or cleaner less likely to switch out as often. For the former you're just trying to punch a hole, longevity isn't always that important as it is hitting the defensive core. Whereas the latter you're more likely to support MPidgeot to sweep, this does come at the downside of requiring more work.

While you could say the same thing similar to MBee but considering that you're using MBee to spam U-turn it is more or less important to have rocks down, otherwise it neuters its best asset. Same thing with Victini and V-create, though not an UU mon the logic applies the same in so much that MPidgeot doesn't need to switch out in the process of using Hurricane.

I for one would welcome our new QuiverPass overlords.
(Read here about why Venomoth is cancer.)
Well they are reviewing baton pass in the Policy Review center and in turn this would affect UU, in this case no more QuiverPass, so it may be worth considering once they've managed to make a decision regarding the matter on PR -- assuming they finally get around to a decision... Regardless, no rush as long as PR is still trying to make heads or tails of the matter.

Cheryl.

Celesteela is Life
Honestly venomoth would be broken because of quiverpass, so no venomoth. I wonder, what COULD we retest?

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Guys, please just focus on one suspect mon at a time; refrain from posting any final decisions until AFTER the suspect. Discourse and speculation is allowed and encouraged but only as it pertains to Mega Pidgeot and the surrounding UU meta that is influenced.

Questions that do not pertain to THIS suspect test (for example, future suspect tests) should be directed HERE, however, please understand that repetitive questions take their toll on the Staff.

Please take the time to review previous posts and opinions before announcing yours as the hail-mary of arguments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)