Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

Here's what I do:
1) Turn smooth lighting off, like Dan said.
2) Turn fancy graphics off to increase the effect.
3) Once you know the coords of your planned afk point, substract / add ~130 in the x and z directions. You get a large square. At the corners of that square, dig straight down to bedrock. Have extended splash potions of fire resistance on your bar!! :/ Then you connect the 4 vertical shafts you made with horizontal shafts, starting at y=11 (make a 2 block high tunnel), up to y=55 in steps of 4 blocks in between each layer.
4) In every cave you come across using point 3), fence off the area outside your box with any block.
5) Once you've fenced in your entire square, start exploring. The blocks you fenced the area off with will tell you where to stop.
6) Have a piston, a lever and a glowstone block with you, so you can frequently x-ray the surrounding area to make sure you don't miss any of those nasty small underground lakes.

Yeah, this is what I do. It takes a while, but it's worth it.

Also, we need something like this on our server:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRhkXUEfbE0

That seems like a good method. I've already done a preliminary run through of the big abandoned mineshaft right under my spot, but I'll probably use a similar method for the rest of it. Also, the spot is on a very small island in the middle of an ocean so the water usually goes down to around y = 40 in most cases. And yea the glowstone trick is always handy.

Not to seem like bitch but is there any way of getting rid of the horrible lag? Me Valentine and Shii have all experienced it so its not on my end. Im just wondering if restarting the server would help?

Is your lag where everything works fine and then freezes randomly for about 3 seconds, before resuming? That's what I'm getting. :(

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Here is something a bit random does anyone have their own creative map that they just keep using to test and build random stuff before perhaps building it on smogcraft.

Eagle4 for me it's more like intence lag that makes me incapable of doing anything for hour or so. But at other times there is little to no lag, the strange thing is that it just started recently iv been fine before.

I just started playing this game and I enjoy it very much, only the demos though, the one on the website and the one for androids. I built crappy houses in the demo, couldnt find any good materials and died a lot, still fun. The demo on the tablet though was quite fun as I was in creative mode. I made a house that I loved and then made another cave like place in which I just kept digging down hoping to find diamonds just to find them. I will post some pictures of them later, I took abunch of screenshots. I have a question now though, is this game worth buying, its pretty dang expensive.

I just started playing this game and I enjoy it very much, only the demos though, the one on the website and the one for androids. I built crappy houses in the demo, couldnt find any good materials and died a lot, still fun. The demo on the tablet though was quite fun as I was in creative mode. I made a house that I loved and then made another cave like place in which I just kept digging down hoping to find diamonds just to find them. I will post some pictures of them later, I took abunch of screenshots. I have a question now though, is this game worth buying, its pretty dang expensive.
If you're liking it on the mobile versions then the full version is definitely for you.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Anyone know of a way to get this for free legally? Like from taking surveys or something?
If you pirate the game, you can't connect to any multiplayer servers at all (and Notch sheds a single tear).

Honestly I feel like I've said it before in this thread but I'll say it again: Mojang is one of the most deserving game companies of your business. The developers are extremely active on reddit in taking suggestions and listening to feedback, and they also listen a lot to the let's play community (and sometimes play pvp with them). I've never known anyone to have any serious issues with payment or the like that the devs haven't fixed. When you buy Minecraft, the copy is yours forever to download to any computer anywhere (same as all their other games).

So yes, it's kinda expensive. But $26 dollars for a practically infinite game with no DRM and approachable developers? That's insanely cheap compared to the big name big title games.

If you pirate the game, you can't connect to any multiplayer servers at all (and Notch sheds a single tear).
Well I am to poor to afford it and the creator gave permission to pirate it if you can't afford it soooooo, I'm gonna pirate it for now and save up money since I am a poor teenager(who is trying to get a job), then buy it. Sounds good in my head and on screen, check. I am also about to edit this pos with a few pictures of my creations from the tablet demo.
BEWARE OF FLOOD You can seperate them by seeing which has health and which one doesn't.

Well coolbiz you are now stuck in the blocky world. I to started on a pirated version back in 1.7.5 and even then it was addicting, I expect to see you buy the game soon and on the smogon server. May Notch keep the creepers away.

oh no how unaffordable
Yeah, if you're an unemployed teenager who doesn't get a lot of pocket money like coolbiz apparently is, or if you live in poverty, $26 is a hell of a lot to drop in a lump sum on a video game~ If you love the game and it has a lot of entertainment value (through limitless replay value like Minecraft, or maybe not infinitely replayable but super fun anyways, like an amazing RPG or something) that makes it worthwhile, $26 might not sound like a lot to pay for that *in retrospect*, but when you compare it to the other things some people spend money on and consider their limited budgets...

Turns out you can't literally go outside and mine coins. Don't be so quick to judge!

Im not sure why people think it's pricy. Iv played this about The same amount as pokemon and that is saying something, especially when about half the price. If you enjoy creative games then minecraft is the game for you. IMO it's a cheap price for what you are getting.
Mildishcinccino what about the game do you not like?

If he's able to have a tablet, and a computer, I'm having a hard time fathoming how 26$ is expensive by any means. This game is honestly worth 50 bucks and we only have to pay half that. I don't care if Notch said it was "okay", piracy is still a huge disrespect and slap in the face to developers who actually listen to the community.

/end rant

what about the game do you not like?
It's a game about fighting and survival but even things that are like 4 brick thick dirt walls offer just as good as protection as any other shelter. Combat is even more simple than something like Skyrim where you can just M1 anything down. AI is lacking. The amount of items that can be crafted in game aren't as much as you would want from a game based around crafting and survival. The most entertaining thing I enjoyed about this game was exploring and finding new areas, but that gets tired when a new area holds nothing more than potentially more materials to simply make the same items.

Sure people tell me there are mods and such that expand what the game is and does, but I feel like that's somewhat of a cop out. The game wasn't advertised as a base game with high mod functionality. Hell, it would get patched out with a lot of new revisions. I wanted a full on game that really made it feel like you had to survive, like Survival Kids or Lost in Blue. When you have a practically infinite sized world and nothing to inhabit it it gets kind of old fast.

Also being made in JAVA makes it not only unsecure because lol ORACLE can't fix security problems, it also is incredibly bloated.

I'd give Minecraft raw a 2/5. Had potential, fell flat.

The game is at most 25% about combat. The game's focus is on (who would have guessed) mining and crafting. Meaning exploring and building.

I'm not saying your complaints are completely invalid but they are misguided. You don't buy Pokemon for a fast paced action game and rate it poorly because you didn't get what you are looking for.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
As a final note for the price argument: sure, 26 dollars may be "a lot" of money for someone without a solid job. However, if you truly enjoy the game as much as you say you do already, you're going to be spending a lot of hours on it. The movies cost ~10-15 dollars for a couple hours of enjoyment (or lets say 5-7.5 dollars per hour). Most traditional console games provide ~20 hours of main storyline enjoyment for 50 dollars (or 2.5 dollars per hour). Minecraft is completely open world game and has provided me with hundreds more hours of enjoyment than I care to admit, for the 21 dollars I spent on it (which comes out to a couple cents per hour of enjoyment).

Obviously I'm not going to tell you what to do with your money, or lack thereof. But pirating the game will only limit your experience in the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)