Media Minecraft Discussion Thread

az

toddmoding
is a Community Contributoris an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
destroyed and replaced a jukebox underneath my town centre, that housed all of a very old minecraft community's items in numerous chests

crashed, corrupted save, reloaded the game and just that building has been nuked in a minichunk rewrite ;_:

heartbrok

Yup, it's me ;)

It was just as a joke, i'll give him a clue about what's happening:

CLUE said:
Listen megados. Over at your castle, things are going down. OK? Call me crazy, but it's gonna get big. Like, real big. Over at your castle, there's a secret. Secrets are cool, right? Embrace the light, embrace god, cause you're gonna need it. Ready?
(I apologise if this post is unsettling for you Megados.)

Thanks for a great first day yesterday you guys!
P.S. I stole some wood from megados castle, I has just got it back when my comp overheated and shut off.

The Salcraft Witch Farm

Hello fellow Salcraftians, the project is finally done. Read the entire post before using it.
Travel to the coordinates x=51, z=-1179 and gaze upon the Witch Tower, which marks the entrance to the farm, illuminating the night with a powerful beam of light shooting out from its top…

Just jump down, and bring a Minecart so you can use the advanced transportation system: Place the Cart on the single, off-state Powered Rail, press the wooden button and off you go through the tunnel:

This is where you arrive after your travel:

To your left, you see the main storage area where all the dropped items are put into labeled chests.
Important: You’re probably visiting the farm to acquire only one kind of item at a time, but you’ll receive the other ones regardless since we can’t separate items yet. When you collected what you came for, put the stuff you don’t want into the respective chests!

To your right, there’s a Potion brewing area. Press the labeled buttons for the ingredients you want and note the following: Each button-press gives you 1 of the selected item so you can brew 3 Potions with it, except for the button on the Diamond block, which always gives you 1 Nether Wart and 3 empty Glass Bottles at the same time since those are necessary for every Potion. The items you selected are dropped from the ceiling onto the Redstone Lamp.
Important: This system is not meant for Potion mass production! All the dispensers are filled to the max, which means I gathered 9 stacks of almost every Potion ingredient*. You can, of course, use the system in cases like “I’ll need some Fire Resistance Potions later on, I can make them here while I farm Witch drops…”, but I will not tolerate if you mass-produce Potions with this just because the ingredients are there. Take what you need, and leave the rest for the other people.

*I only have ~50 Ghast Tears. Donations of those are always welcome.

-----

Instructions on how to use the farm:

The AFK Point is on the Glowstone Block right below the decorative Emerald Ore, where you can watch the Witches fall behind a small glass window. You have to stand right on that block for the farm to be fully functioning. Technical background stuff is explained below.
Please note that Witches sometimes produce ghost item drops that you cannot pick up. This is not related to the item elevator or anything else, we’re dealing with a bukkit bug here. Just so you don’t wonder why there are items at your feet even though your inventory has empty slots in it.

When you AFK and leave the farm running in the background, I highly recommend that you flick this lever in the corner:

This closes the tunnel behind you. The reason behind that is green and gooey: I tried my best to make sure no Slimes spawn in the tunnel, and I succeeded in suppressing the large ones, but very rarely, a medium one spawns and hops towards you, which is potentially dangerous when you don’t pay attention. The tiny Slimes are not an issue since they always jump into the water and drown.
Oh, and when you’re done, re-open the door. People don’t wanna have to Enderpearl in all the time.

-----

Technical stuff and background information:
(No, you don’t have to read this, but it’s interesting and gives you a feel for how the farm works exactly.)

You can access the Maintenance area by using the other lever in the corner:

Here, you get access to the dispensers holding the Potion ingredients in the back…

…and, if you climb down the ladder, to the heart of the farm: The trapdoor killer and the very fancy item elevator which makes the farm so convenient. Look, but don’t touch!

For full instructions on how to build these devices and how they work, see these two videos by JL2579.

Item elevator: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoAo7mjocng (start at 4:06)
Trapdoor killer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b43G4JPGoo (start at 9:40)

The item elevator is one of the reasons why you have to stand exactly on the Glowstone Block. The other two are as follows:

1) The farm doesn’t use shifting floors or any other fancy trick to make the Witches fall because that’s too glitchy and unreliable; instead, I rely on the fact that mobs see open trapdoors as full blocks and try to walk on them. However, that means the vertical distance between the player and the spawning pads is very important. Mobs can only spawn 24 or more blocks away from the player, but if they’re further away than 32 blocks, they’ll stop moving after a few steps and can despawn, which would render a design that uses walk-off mechanics useless.

2) I had to make sure that the only areas where mobs can spawn are the actual Witch spawning pads. Since all mobs that have no player within 128 blocks instantly despawn, I had to light up all the caves and dark spots in a 256x256 area around the AFK point. I went a few blocks over in every direction to be extra sure, but it’s better to stand at the exact spot of the Glowstone Block to make sure the system works as intended.

Other technical stuff:

As most of you know, I want this bug fixed:

https://mojang.atlassian.net/browse/MC-7482

Our Witch farm is affected by this as well. I replaced all the blocks that are not in the Swamp biome with Glass to prevent other mobs from spawning in the system, but it looks like there’s something about mob spawning that I have yet to understand, since very rarely, you’ll see mobs other than Witches falling through the shaft. I have yet to solve this issue, but as I said, it’s very rare.

In the end, I also have to link you to this video because this is where everything started. Thank you docm77.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KllWkdfOS3M

Okay guys, 2 things I want to post about. Firstly, your witch farm is absolutely amazing RA, I suggest everybody check it out. Secondly,

A freakin' creeper blew up my hidden TNT stash. I'm really sorry about that megad0s and val, since it also damaged your towers a bit. I've covered up the giant hole, and I've fixed any damage done to both megados' and val's towers. Well, by fix, I mean replace all the damaged blocks with stone bricks. So your elevator may look a little weird val. Also Megados, your giant map thing was destroyed, but at least I got all the maps and stuff needed to make it back again. I've put all of it in one of the chests in your furnace room. Also, if Layell or any other server admin feel like banning me, that's completely understandable, since what I've done is making me feel crap.
Sorry megados and val :(

Now that the Witch farm is done and open to the public, I'll take a small break from Minecraft. My old Windows XP Dinosaur PC is causing a lot of frustration lately, and my Laptop which I was using for university stuff isn't powerful enough to run it.
I also recently picked up a full-time job at a hospital, which is very interesting but exhausting at the same time. Once I get some money out of that, I'll look into buying a new PC.

Shii

zap
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Now that the Witch farm is done and open to the public, I'll take a small break from Minecraft. My old Windows XP Dinosaur PC is causing a lot of frustration lately, and my Laptop which I was using for university stuff isn't powerful enough to run it.
I also recently picked up a full-time job at a hospital, which is very interesting but exhausting at the same time. Once I get some money out of that, I'll look into buying a new PC.
You will be missed. :c
Congrats on finally completing the farm!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)