(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I've just learned that Bulbapedia translates Cute Charm's Japanese name as Mad Love Body (Mad Love being Attract's name, and Body being similar to Flame Body).

Mad Love Body is possibly the worst name for anything in the Pokemon franchise, and I don't know whether I hate it being on Cleffa or Lopunny more.
To be more specific, "Attract" and "Cute Charm's" Japanese name is "Meromero" and "Meromero Bodi" (Bodi a transliteration of English "Body").

So what does "meromero" mean? Well, it's not EXACTLY "mad love", but rather it means to be "madly in love". And while mostly used romantically, it can be used platonically though that seems to be a rare use from what I can see.

It's a tough word to translate into English. "Cute Charm" I think is alright, but "Attract" could have been given something more general like "Enamored" or "Appeal".

To be more specific, "Attract" and "Cute Charm's" Japanese name is "Meromero" and "Meromero Bodi" (Bodi a transliteration of English "Body").

So what does "meromero" mean? Well, it's not EXACTLY "mad love", but rather it means to be "madly in love". And while mostly used romantically, it can be used platonically though that seems to be a rare use from what I can see.

It's a tough word to translate into English. "Cute Charm" I think is alright, but "Attract" could have been given something more general like "Enamored" or "Appeal".
Meromero also looks like XOXO, which if not for the context I would think is neat.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Hey now, I'm moving up the chain of command! We'll see if I now just hover in a state of limbo or I get to talk to someone who can do something... or be yelled at by upper management there's nothing that can be done so go away. *Sits and waits patiently*
Well, what I feel to be the final posts have been made. This is the response from higher-up the chain I got:

Thank you for contacting Pokémon Support.

Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback/suggestion. We regularly share player feedback and suggestions with our development team and will pass your message along to them.

Pokémon encourages players to submit feedback and comments so that our products can offer the best experience to our customers. Even though we do not always implement every suggestion, we read and pay attention to every single comment.

Please note that you may not receive another response regarding this.

Thank you for supporting Pokémon!
I decided to check the "Status" of the ticket, and oddly it said "awaiting your reply". Either expecting me to say some final comments or was chosen by mistake, I gave my possible final response:

The Status category says "awaiting your reply", so I'll add this final bit. Everything I said I still stand by, because GameStops around the country didn't get the code cards not only do I think I can request for some codes directly from the Pokemon Company but everyone else as well.

If I were to add something else, I would say that the days of going to a game store to get the code cards has become outdated. When you can so easily distribute a Pokemon through the internet (or just have a code appear on the site, promotional video, or even the anime) going to a store just feels like an unneeded extra step. And since Covid a lot of people now shop online because its safer and easier. Not to mention physical code cards have the problems of either getting lost in the mail (like what happened here) or scalpers are able to get a hold of most of them (which is what happened to the Shiny Eternatus, which BTW should have been the reward for the final Sword & Shield online competition "Ultimate Finale", not a pathetic 50 BP). And I'm not the only one who feels this way, if you set up a survey asking what fans think of these in-store code card events they wouldn't want them anymore. I'm not sure if this will be seen by anyone who decides on how to do event distributions, but I thank you for your time and patience.
Hopefully Target will be better with the Marshadow codes.

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion
Oh dear, Zorua has debuted in Pokemon Go and now all the same people who think Rotom is a legendary are confidently proclaiming that it's a mythical Pokemon because it can't currently be traded, must resist the urge to mansplain...*

Why did Game Freak ever think that making this species event-exclusive was a good idea? I hope the person who came up with that was fired shortly afterwards. Considering how transactional the series has become I'm genuinely surprised it only ever happened the once.

*yes, you absolutely can mansplain to both sexes

Oh dear, Zorua has debuted in Pokemon Go and now all the same people who think Rotom is a legendary are confidently proclaiming that it's a mythical Pokemon because it can't currently be traded, must resist the urge to mansplain...

Why did Game Freak ever think that making this species event-exclusive was a good idea? I hope the person who came up with that was fired shortly afterwards. Considering how transactional the series has become I'm genuinely surprised it only ever happened the once.
Zorua/Zoroark's Event-only status also made the "Mythical" label more unclear and arbitrary.
To quote an angry Nintendo nerd: "WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?"

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Oh dear, Zorua has debuted in Pokemon Go and now all the same people who think Rotom is a legendary are confidently proclaiming that it's a mythical Pokemon because it can't currently be traded, must resist the urge to mansplain...*

*yes, you absolutely can mansplain to both sexes
Zoroark always felt like GF trying to recreate the success they had with Lucario. Star of its own movie, cool/edgy bipedal carnivora Pokemon (edging on furry bait if we're to be honest), has a supernatural power, optimized stats to be a speedy attacker, and hard to obtain. That last bit is the most relevant here. Only way to get a Lucario in the original DPPt was to get the Riolu Egg from Riley, in a way an in-game event. So, in all their wisdom, they decided Zorua too will be difficult to get, but instead of a late game in-game event, they up the ante by making it an Event exclusive! Now people would REALLY want it! "Yeah, because you made it impossible to get without a limited time event Pokemon from LAST gen!".

Either because they tried too hard or people just didn't click with Zoroark as they did with Lucario, luckily the attempt failed and they haven't locked a com mon species behind an event again. Note this wasn't the only "odd" event idea they tried doing, remember the hoops they expected people to jump through in order to get the the Snarl TM? You had to use the Relocator feature, the same used to transfer the fateful encounter Celebi & Shiny Beast Trio needed to unlock Zorua & Zoroark, to transfer the Lock Capsule from HGSS which BW and give it to Mr. Lock in Castelia City to unlock. Oh, you don't remember that? Well, that's because THEY NEVER DISTRIBUTED THE LOCK CAPSULE! Which had to be a sudden decision change because all the data are in the games and they didn't make TM95 obtainable another way! And GF's solution to this in BW? Distribute a special Zoroark that knew Snarl... which meant if you wanted Snarl on Pokemon that was not in the Field Egg Group than too bad!

B2W2 officially fixed these problems by giving you a free Zorua as R_N said & making TM95 available in Lostlorn Forest.

Numbers sniped me writing up a response to the rest but the Zorua problem matches Niantic's track record of botched distributions and lack of concern for their user base. i thought i remembered there being a previous case of a formerly event-exclusive mon that became a normal wild spawn later, but i looked it up and the closest thing i could find was Delibird (which still doesn't spawn outside seasonal events iirc), so i guess Go players gotta hold out for a makeup event and hope for an eventual broader release. As for mansplaining, that term doesn't just mean "a man explaining something", it specifically describes the way a lot of men will automatically assume they know more about a subject than a woman does with no evidence to suggest that and explain it condescendingly and unnecessarily (especially in a field where she's actually more knowledgeable or experienced). The condescension is key and so is the gendered aspect of it (unnecessary explanation due to the unspoken assumption a man Just Knows More), so it sounds like you're fine here.

Back on topic: the VS seeker in FRLG doesn't work in buildings, caves, forests, or the outside of Mt. Ember. That combo suggests there's some kinda internal "dungeon" flag that disables it, but... why so broadly applied? i get that they don't want infinitely repeating story-relevant battles or the ability to cheese past a boss by grinding a bunch of levels on the mooks that come before them, but none of the caves or forests (or Mt. Ember) have enough trainers and a big enough total experience yield to make that noticeably more efficient than using the VS seeker anywhere else (minus Victory Road, but that's easier to justify as a dungeon than, say, Viridian Forest). It feels like they're overcorrecting for an expected problem in a way that doesn't make sense in the game's lore.

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

Numbers sniped me writing up a response to the rest but the Zorua problem matches Niantic's track record of botched distributions and lack of concern for their user base. i thought i remembered there being a previous case of a formerly event-exclusive mon that became a normal wild spawn later, but i looked it up and the closest thing i could find was Delibird (which still doesn't spawn outside seasonal events iirc), so i guess Go players gotta hold out for a makeup event and hope for an eventual broader release.
Delibird has been available as a wild spawn in a couple of recent seasons in Go. The issue was Zorua's debut in Go is that it wasn't tested properly, not that it's an event mon; we don't know whether it'll be obtainable after this.

My gripe was specifically with BW, though.

As for mansplaining, that term doesn't just mean "a man explaining something", it specifically describes the way a lot of men will automatically assume they know more about a subject than a woman does with no evidence to suggest that and explain it condescendingly and unnecessarily (especially in a field where she's actually more knowledgeable or experienced). The condescension is key and so is the gendered aspect of it (unnecessary explanation due to the unspoken assumption a man Just Knows More), so it sounds like you're fine here.
No, I know this. But I can assure you that men are very capable of doing this behaviour to other men as well (hell, I can probably think of several times it's happened on this very forum), it's just more commonly recognised when it happens to women.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
No, I know this. But I can assure you that men are very capable of doing this behaviour to other men as well (hell, I can probably think of several times it's happened on this very forum), it's just more commonly recognised when it happens to women.
there's something very funny about seeing mansplained mansplained to someone who wanted to avoid mansplaining, im sorry
mansplain deez nuts
I think we've gone past "mansplained" and gotten to "sausage waving contest".

Getting this thread back on track, how about we talk about a certain location I mentioned above: Lostlorn Forest.

So, when you first get there it's not a big area, some tall grass to catch Pokemon you've already seen, there's this odd trigger where a Hiker initially there which waxes philosophically (he says people value different things like he likes to travel but the woman in the camper prefers to lives a quiet life in this place), and there's a woman living in a camper who doesn't say anything to you when interacted with. Overall, it's nothing remarkable, even though there are trainers nearby which mention people somehow getting lost in here.

BUT, if you had sent over one of the Shiny Legendary Beasts given out during the Zoroark Movie (and it had to be with this Relocator feature for some reason) and brought it here, the woman attacks and reveals herself to be a Zoroark! You then can catch/defeat her (not sure if you can get her to respawn if you defeat her) and when you do the camper and trees around it vanish revealing a wider area! The Hiker comes up saying that Zoroark didn't like the Shiny Beasts suggesting a prior conflict & must have been using its illusion power to protect its home hence explaining how people got lost here.

So, we now have this bigger location which Zoroark was hiding, what secrets and goodies does it have?

NOTHING! Absolutely squat! It's now just bigger, that's all that happens. No other tall grass containing more interesting Pokemon. No stash of rare items. There's no more events which happen here, no new trainers show up. It's just opens up a bigger empty space.

GF, what was the point? Lore? Not really. Okay, Zoroark used its Illusion Ability to hide its home. Like, neat to see I guess? But you could have just as easily shown that by placing the Zoroark off in the corner in Pinwheel Forest or some other Route. Why make an entire location for it which opens up AFTER you catch it and have nothing to do?

Like, if the point was to show Zoroark was making people get lost in the woods with its Illusion power, instead of hiding the place make it a crowded maze of trees. Have the camper and woman in the middle (with maybe a few items also to entice the player more) but you're not able to get to her normally (and now have to navigate your way out, but there was a few random items to get so it's not a total loss). BUT, if you bring one of the Shiny Beasts, a part of the maze opens up finally allowing you to reach the camper (though now the items are gone). She'll then run out of the camper and attack revealing she's a Zoroark, and after catching/defeating her her camper will be gone. The maze will have simplified (letting you more easily get any items you missed) and where the camper was is now a dead tree stump with a batch of items which is something nice like the Evo Stones or maybe money fodder. There, you've shown off Zoroark using its Illusion power, gave more purpose to the Lostlorn Forest which matches stories you heard about it, and even gave players an additional award for "solving" the mystery. Sure after this there's no point in returning to the area, but then again isn't that true for most special areas once you've done the event there?

Last edited:

QuentinQuonce

I think we've gone past "mansplained" and gotten to "sausage waving contest".

Getting this thread back on track, how about we talk about a certain location I mentioned above: Lostlorn Forest.

So, when you first get there it's not a big area, some tall grass to catch Pokemon you've already seen, there's this odd trigger where a Hiker initially there which waxes philosophically (he says people value different things like he likes to travel but the woman in the camper prefers to lives a quiet life in this place), and there's a woman living in a camper who doesn't say anything to you when interacted with. Overall, it's nothing remarkable, even though there are trainers nearby which mention people somehow getting lost in here.

BUT, if you had sent over one of the Shiny Legendary Beasts given out during the Zoroark Movie (and it had to be with this Relocator feature for some reason) and brought it here, the woman attacks and reveals herself to be a Zoroark! You then can catch/defeat her (not sure if you can get her to respawn if you defeat her) and when you do the camper and trees around it vanish revealing a wider area! The Hiker comes up saying that Zoroark didn't like the Shiny Beasts suggesting a prior conflict & must have been using its illusion power to protect its home hence explaining how people got lost here.

So, we now have this bigger location which Zoroark was hiding, what secrets and goodies does it have?

NOTHING! Absolutely squat! It's now just bigger, that's all that happens. No other tall grass containing more interesting Pokemon. No stash of rare items. There's no more events which happen here, no new trainers show up. It's just opens up a bigger empty space.

GF, what was the point? Lore? Not really. Okay, Zoroark used its Illusion Ability to hide its home. Like, neat to see I guess? But you could have just as easily shown that by placing the Zoroark off in the corner in Pinwheel Forest or some other Route. Why make an entire location for it which opens up AFTER you catch it and have nothing to do?

Like, if the point was to show Zoroark was making people get lost in the woods with its Illusion power, instead of hiding the place make it a crowded maze of trees. Have the camper and woman in the middle (with maybe a few items also to entice the player more) but you're not able to get to her normally (and now have to navigate your way out, but there was a few random items to get so it's not a total loss). BUT, if you bring one of the Shiny Beasts, a part of the maze opens up finally allowing you to reach the camper (though now the items are gone). She'll then run out of the camper and attack revealing she's a Zoroark, and after catching/defeating her her camper will be gone. The maze will have simplified (letting you more easily get any items you missed) and where the camper was is now a dead tree stump with a batch of items which is something nice like the Evo Stones or maybe money fodder. There, you've shown off Zoroark using its Illusion power, gave more purpose to the Lostlorn Forest which matches stories you heard about it, and even gave players an additional award for "solving" the mystery. Sure after this there's no point in returning to the area, but then again isn't that true for most special areas once you've done the event there?
Maybe this is way overthinking it (let's be honest, it's me so it's almost certainly overthinking things) but I always wondered if Lostlorn Forest being the closest place in Unova proximity to the Entralink might have been intentional. Like maybe Zorua and Zoroark developed their illusion powers over years as a result of their habitat being so close to the Entralink, idk. Probably not but it struck me as an intriguing coincidence.

Last edited:
Well, what I feel to be the final posts have been made. This is the response from higher-up the chain I got:

I decided to check the "Status" of the ticket, and oddly it said "awaiting your reply". Either expecting me to say some final comments or was chosen by mistake, I gave my possible final response:

Hopefully Target will be better with the Marshadow codes.
I went to Target today to get the Marshadow codes. I spoke to a few people who were clueless and kept trying to direct me to the TGC cards, and after explaining it's a promotion tried to look it up on their internal directory, but could't find it because it's not a product.

Finally got some success by speaking to customer service, who eventually radioed the manager of the electronics section, who actually knew what we were talking about and had the code cards.

The code cards look like this, if anyone wants a picture to show the staff:

Attachments

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 7, Guests: 6)