(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Why does the character customization suck? Let me preview a hairstyle before actually deciding on one. Let me put long hair on a guy or a buzz cut on a girl. Hell, why even ask if you’re a boy or a girl at this point? Pick a face, pick a hair style, and then let the player choose if they want to wear a classy skirt or sharp-as-hell slacks. This would actually be easier for Nintendo than what they’re currently doing, and yet they persist in having the worst character customization I’ve seen outside of Assassin’s Creed.

Why does the character customization suck? Let me preview a hairstyle before actually deciding on one. Let me put long hair on a guy or a buzz cut on a girl. Hell, why even ask if you’re a boy or a girl at this point? Pick a face, pick a hair style, and then let the player choose if they want to wear a classy skirt or sharp-as-hell slacks. This would actually be easier for Nintendo than what they’re currently doing, and yet they persist in having the worst character customization I’ve seen outside of Assassin’s Creed.
It's less of "the character customization system sucks" and much more of "the character customization options suck" (as in, the clothes selection, with some types of clothes being completely missing on one or both genders).

That the EXP Share is now an item you turn on/off and it works for all Pokemon, while the Amulet Coin is still a hold item rather than something you can turn on/off. I know they've made money easier to come by, but it's still a pain to grind. I'd gladly switch the two such that the EXP Share is a hold item that works only for the Pokemon that holds it whereas the Amulet Coin is the one you turn on/off.

That the EXP Share is now an item you turn on/off and it works for all Pokemon, while the Amulet Coin is still a hold item rather than something you can turn on/off. I know they've made money easier to come by, but it's still a pain to grind. I'd gladly switch the two such that the EXP Share is a hold item that works only for the Pokemon that holds it whereas the Amulet Coin is the one you turn on/off.
What's wrong with the current Exp. Share? It lets you grind teams at a steady pace instead of as slow as a snail.

(Now, I'd like to see the Amulet Coin as a more useful item, though)

What's wrong with the current Exp. Share? It lets you grind teams at a steady pace instead of as slow as a snail.

(Now, I'd like to see the Amulet Coin as a more useful item, though)
I'm not complaining about the EXP Share, I'm complaining about the Amulet Coin. It's just that if only one of them can be a switch on/off item and the other a hold item, I would rather the Amulet Coin be the on/off item. Naturally it would be best if both of them were on/off items, though.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While I don't mind it being a held item, I do agree it can be annoying having to micro-manage your items constantly because you want to another Pokemon up front first (or if you don't switch items at some point you gotta switch in the Pokemon with Amulet Coin giving them Experience you may not wanting them to get (I had this poblem with my Dusk Lycanroc, since it had Happy Hour I'd always have it in a trainer battle so it ended up quite overleveled or kept having to revive/heal it)). Don't see why you would ever want Lucky Amulet off though, it's not like Experience Share where it can easily make your Pokemon overleveled which could affect the game experience for some. You just had extra pocket change which mean you can buy more clothes... I MEAN Poke Balls, Repels, Potions, and Medicine because I'm a responsible trainer!...

Hmm, this brings to mind 4 set of items which I think there should be another way to have their effect:

Plates & Memories:
  • Can we have a way for Arceus and Silvally be any Type without having them to hold a Plate or Memory? You would still need to have the Plate and Memory of that Type, but I don't think holding the Plate or Memory be a requirement. And I get it for Arceus, its a powerful Pokemon so this could be a way of restricting it. Though not so much for Silvally, whose Memory don't even power-up moves of its Type like the Plates do. Also, because of this they sort of don't have an Ability which is hampering enough. Either hold your signature item to be another Type or hold another item but have no Ability.
  • Can we give the Memories a secondary effect? Like Silvally is already a lesser Arceus, we don't need to reinforce that by having its signature items be lesser Plates. Even if its also just a 20% Power increase.
  • Can we find a way to make them Duel-type? Like can their be a Key Item you can put two Plates/Memories into and then have a Held Item connected to that Key Item which when given to Arceus/Silvally it'll make it both those types (and if you only put one item in it'll count the empty slot meaning you want them to be part Normal-type; thinking about it maybe that Key Item could also just make them the Type unless you want the affects of the Plates/Memories which would probably also have to be decrease to 10% for each Type).
Drives:
An even worst case than the Plates & Memories. Only reason to have Genesect hold a Drive is to change the Type of its Signature Move. It doesn't even provide a Type power-up. How about this, we just make the Drives Key Items.
Also, make a Bug- and Steel-type Drive.

Incenses:
Incenses don't seem the kind of items your Pokemon needs to be holding in the Daycare. They feel like you should just be able to give it to the Day Care people to set up.

On that note, can we cut down on the random identical items? I mean, at least they’re easily sortable now, but plates, memories, and type-boosting items total 59 slots in your inventory if you find them all. We get so many random regional foods that there’s no reason to ever buy antidotes. And the list of items to evolve Pokémon has reached the point where I never sell anything in case it turns out that I need it to evolve Feebas this gen. They could easily cut down on at least some of this cruft.

On that note, can we cut down on the random identical items? I mean, at least they’re easily sortable now, but plates, memories, and type-boosting items total 59 slots in your inventory if you find them all. We get so many random regional foods that there’s no reason to ever buy antidotes. And the list of items to evolve Pokémon has reached the point where I never sell anything in case it turns out that I need it to evolve Feebas this gen. They could easily cut down on at least some of this cruft.
There's no reason to buy Antidote anyway between easily obtainable Pecha/Lum Berries and Pokemon Refresh. (not to mention Plaza lotteries have Full Heal as 9th place prize, meaning you'll likely get at least one a day if you've a lottery set up and bother to check them) I'm pretty sure I never bothered to purchase any status healing medicine in Sun or Ultra Moon.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Ugh, the Item inflation was bad in Gen VII. GF, was it necessary to give Silvally 17 Memories? We couldn't just have one Memory Disc item and just be able to change its Type? Only Silvally can use it! I guess the same can be said for Genesect's Drives, make it one item. Then there's the Nectar, though I see having four of them being a precautionary measure since they're how you change Oricorio's form so if they bring it back they'd just need to give you the four Nectar instead of having a physical place on the map like with other evolutions/form changes (then again, making some of those held items might be appreciated).

Redoing the Bag's organization could mitigate this mess a little. In addition to the main categories they need subcategories (and in some case sub sub categories):
Items:
Battle Items:
X Items​
Type-enhancing Items (Miracle Seed, Charcoal, Mystic Water, etc.)​
EV-enhancing​
Gems​
Mega Stones (including Colored Orbs)​
Z-Crystals​
Plates​
Drives​
Memories​
Repels
Evolution Stones
Valuables (Heart Scales, Shards, Nuggets, Pearls, Stardust/Piece, Comet Shard, Mushrooms, Shoal Items, Pretty Wing, Rare Bone, Relics, Bottle Caps)​
Fossils
Incenses
Apricorns
Scarves
Medicine:
Potions/Full Restore
Status Healers/Revives
Ethers/Elixirs
Vitamins/Rare Candy/Wings
Herbal Medicine
Food (Drinks, Full Heal Treats)​
Poke Balls
TMs/HMs
Berries:

All (Shows all the Berries in numerical order)​
Status Curing (Cheri, Chesto, Pecha, Rawst, Aspear, Leppa, Persim, Lum)​
Healing (Oran, Sitrus, Figy, Wiki, Mago, Aguav, Iapapa)​
EV Lowering (Pomeg, Kelpsy, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, Tomato)​
Type Weakening (Occaa, Passho, Wacan, Rindo, Yache, Chople, Kebia, Shuca, Coba, Payapa, Tanga, Charti, Kasib, Haban, Colbur, Babiri, Chilan, Roseli)​
Pinch (Liechi, Ganlon, Salac, Petaya, Apicot, Lansat, Starf, Enigma, Micle, Custap)​
Reflex (Jaboca, Rowap, Kee, Maranga)​
Flavors: (In games where that's important)​
Spicy​
Dry​
Sweet​
Bitter​
Sour​
Key Items:
Trainer Tools (Pokedex, Assisting Device (Gear, Nav, Poketch, C-Gear, Holo Caster, etc.), Bicycle, Fishing Rod, Running Shoes, Exp Share, Key Stone, Z-Ring, any item that would be useful to the player)​
Important (Key Items important to the main plot like key cards & Legendary artifacts)​
Free Space

Also there's the issue of Mulches and Flutes. If they have a use just keep them as separate items, but if they don't they're Valuable items.

Last edited:
Ugh, the Item inflation was bad in Gen VII. GF, was it necessary to give Silvally 17 Memories? We couldn't just have one Memory Disc item and just be able to change its Type? Only Silvally can use it! I guess the same can be said for Genesect's Drives, make it one item. Then there's the Nectar, though I see having four of them being a precautionary measure since they're how you change Oricorio's form so if they bring it back they'd just need to give you the four Nectar instead of having a physical place on the map like with other evolutions/form changes (then again, making some of those held items might be appreciated).

Redoing the Bag's organization could mitigate this mess a little. In addition to the main categories they need subcategories (and in some case sub sub categories):
Items:
Battle Items:
X Items​
Type-enhancing Items (Miracle Seed, Charcoal, Mystic Water, etc.)​
EV-enhancing​
Gems​
Mega Stones (including Colored Orbs)​
Z-Crystals​
Plates​
Drives​
Memories​
Repels
Evolution Stones
Valuables (Heart Scales, Shards, Nuggets, Pearls, Stardust/Piece, Comet Shard, Mushrooms, Shoal Items, Pretty Wing, Rare Bone, Relics, Bottle Caps)​
Fossils
Incenses
Apricorns
Scarves
Medicine:
Potions/Full Restore
Status Healers/Revives
Ethers/Elixirs
Vitamins/Rare Candy/Wings
Herbal Medicine
Food (Drinks, Full Heal Treats)​
Poke Balls
TMs/HMs
Berries:

All (Shows all the Berries in numerical order)​
Status Curing (Cheri, Chesto, Pecha, Rawst, Aspear, Leppa, Persim, Lum)​
Healing (Oran, Sitrus, Figy, Wiki, Mago, Aguav, Iapapa)​
EV Lowering (Pomeg, Kelpsy, Qualot, Hondew, Grepa, Tomato)​
Type Weakening (Occaa, Passho, Wacan, Rindo, Yache, Chople, Kebia, Shuca, Coba, Payapa, Tanga, Charti, Kasib, Haban, Colbur, Babiri, Chilan, Roseli)​
Pinch (Liechi, Ganlon, Salac, Petaya, Apicot, Lansat, Starf, Enigma, Micle, Custap)​
Reflex (Jaboca, Rowap, Kee, Maranga)​
Flavors: (In games where that's important)​
Spicy​
Dry​
Sweet​
Bitter​
Sour​
Key Items:
Trainer Tools (Pokedex, Assisting Device (Gear, Nav, Poketch, C-Gear, Holo Caster, etc.), Bicycle, Fishing Rod, Running Shoes, Exp Share, Key Stone, Z-Ring, any item that would be useful to the player)​
Important (Key Items important to the main plot like key cards & Legendary artifacts)​
Free Space

Also there's the issue of Mulches and Flutes. If they have a use just keep them as separate items, but if they don't they're Valuable items.
Off the top of my head I can think of gen III games that had subcategories with the TM Case and the Berry Pouch in the Key Item category. Having something similar for medicine, balls, etc. would at least keep scrolling to a minimum. Having to wade through dozens of items in the same category at the moment is something that is getting more out of hand with each generation.

Related to the "too many items" issue, there's the "too few bags" issue. For instance, why there is no Mega Stones bag in Gen VII, being put into the generic items bag?
Why was there no Mega Stone bag in gen 6, for that matter? Even in X/Y it would've been appreciated, never mind when OR/AS introduced a boatload of new Mega Stones. (plus reinventing the Red and Blue Orbs)

Even aside from the obvious storage issue, it makes your new shiny gimmick seem a bit meh when you just put it in the normal items bag amongst poke balls and herbs.

Related to the "too many items" issue, there's the "too few bags" issue. For instance, why there is no Mega Stones bag in Gen VII, being put into the generic items bag?
Gen VII was trying very hard to forget mega evolution was a thing, for one. They could have tossed them in with the Z-stones, I suppose.

(Also, the Gen VII bag interface is pretty compressed as-is, I'm not sure they could fit any more icons in in there.)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
A small annoyance that's not really important, but something that I feel adds something special to characters that only Gym Leaders (and Frontier Brains) get: Titles.

You know. Those little descriptors of the Gym Leader you read on the signs outside of the Gym. Brock is "The Rock-Solid Pokemon Trainer", Misty is "The Tomboyish Mermaid", etc..

But it's ONLY the Gym Leaders that get them. The Elite Four and Champion get nothing, which I find both odd and disappointing. Odd because these are the strongest trainers in the region, the final bosses in most games for the main story, yet only titles they have are just Elite Four and Champion (and while sorta alright for the Champion since each region usually only has one (though some have multiple ex-Champions), there's four members who share the Elite Four trainer class. While the Gym Leaders all shared the same trainer class, that additional title gave them all something a bit unique; they all may be Gym Leaders but there's only one Tomboyish Mermaid As for disappointing that's mostly for the Elite Four because for most of them we don't learn much about them. Most suddenly appear at the Pokemon League just to provide a boss battle and that's it. Anything we learn about them is usually from their dialogue and sometimes that doesn't create a clear image of them. While having a story role helps a lot, if they had a title we could quickly create a vague image of who/what they're suppose to be and put what they say and do in better context.

And since Alola doesn't have Gym Leaders no one gets a unique title. You're either a Captain, Kahuna, or Elite Four member. Now Gen VII did a nice job giving and portraying their characters personalities so not a major loss, still it does make the Captains feel a bit lesser than Gym Leaders in a way. Since Alola's Pokemon League involves going through the Island Challenge before you can battle the Elite Four, they're closest thing to Gym Leaders (Kahuna are sort of a mix between Gym Leader and Elite Four).

Of course, there are also some Gym Leader's who titles aren't that great. Actually, this only goes for the first two Kalos Gym Leaders who for some reason has a really long and wordy title: Viola is the "The camerawoman who never lets a single smile escape her focus." and Grant is "The wild, yet cool and collected, rock climber.". Also, for some reason all Kalos Gym Leader titles are like normal sentences, using proper capitalization and ending in a period, why? Previous Gym Leaders only added a punctuation at the end if it was an exclamation point. Yes, a bit nitpicky, but having most of the words be lowercase and having that period makes the title sort of feel bland. They're suppose to be something quick and catchy, getting across this characters importance and what they are (in both personality, role, and most of the time Type specialization).

Now the Frontier Brains sort of get around this by having their Trainer Class be their title. Though, while worked perfectly fine for Gen III and IV, when they stopped having the Battle Frontier and putting multiple bosses in the post game Battle Tower expy did we start running into the Elite Four problem. In Gen V both Ingo and Emmet are the Subway Bosses. Gen VI had the four Battle Chatelaines. A title would help separate them from one another.

And now, because I can't help myself, I present to you my suggestions for:

Elite Four:
Lorelei: "The Cool And Calculated Siren"
Bruno: "Muscles As Mountains!"
Agatha: "The Ghastly Hag"
Koga: "The Poisonous Ninja Sensei" (since Janine took his old Gym Leader title)
Will: "The Mysterious Illusionist"
Karen: "The Rebellious Beauty"
Champions:
Lance:
"Exhalted Dragon Tamer" (JP)/"The Exhalted Dragon User" (EN)
Blue: "Inherited Knowledge, Earned Strength"
Red: "Silent Hero"

Gym Leaders:
Tate:
"The Solar Yang"
Liza: "The Lunar Yin"
(I figured I'd give Gym Leaders who are paired together their own titles too)
Elite Four:
Sidney:
"The Posh Punk"
Phoebe: "The Fearless Ghost Gabber"
Glacia: "The Ice Queen Bringing the Heat"
Drake: "Here Be Dragons"
Champion:
Steven:
"The Mighty Mineral Monarch"
(Since Wallace was a former Gym Leader he already has a title)
Frontier Brain:
Greta:
"Arena Captain"
(Since the leader of the Battle Tower is often given the title Tower Tycoon I figured Greta should have back her Japanese title. I'd also argue that Ananel's Japanese title be changed to match the English "Salon Maiden" or changed to "Tower Maiden" so Palmer can be the sole "Tower Tycoon")

Elite Four:
Aaron: "Bugging You For A Battle!"
Bertha: "The Worldly Dowager"
Flint: "The Bright, Blazing Fireball"
Lucian: "The Bookworm Who Remembers Everything"
Champion:
Cynthia: "
Celestial And Mystical"
Frontier Brain:
Thorton:
"Factory Director" (So Noland is the sole "Factory Head")

Gym Leader:
Cilan:
"Serving Up A Fresh Battle"
Chili: "Cooking Up A Hot Battle"
Cress: "Boiling Up A Steaming Battle"
Elite Four:
Shauntal:
"The Ghost Writer"
Marshal: "The Disciple Who Teaches Discipline"
Grimsley: "The Descended Gambler"
Caitlin: "Castle Matriarch"
Champion:
Alder:
"The Wandering Wonder"
(Since Iris was a former Gym Leader he already has a title)
Subway Bosses:
Ingo:
"The Arriving Subway Boss"
Emmet: "Subway Boss of Departure"

Gym Leaders:
Viola:
"The Shutterbug Who Never Misses a Smile" (How did the translators miss that pun!)
Grant: "The Wild, Tranquil Rock Climber"
(And obliviously I would recommend making the other Gym Leader's titles look like titles and not sentences)
Elite Four:
Malva:
"Hot News Flash!"
Siebold: "The Passionate Chef Performing Water Art
Wikstrom: "The Steely Knight"
Drasna: "She Who Dragon's Bow To"
Champion:
Diantha: "The Beautiful Actress Prodigy"
Maison Chatelaine:
Nita:
"Maison Chatelaine Of The Lonely Nights"
Evelyn: "Maison Chatelaine Of Both The Evenings"
Dana: "Maison Chatelaine Of The Three Times Of Day"
Morgan: "Maison Chatelaine Of The Morning Cycle"

Captains:
Ilima:
"Prince of the Trainers' School"
Lana: "The Girl Fishing For Trouble"
Kiawe: "Dance Of Fire!"
Mallow: "Has The Scent For The Perfect Ingredients
Sophocles: "The Electronics Boy Genius
Mina: "The Whimsical, Wandering Artist"
Kahuna/Elite Four:
Hala:
"Fighting To Make You Holler!"
Olivia: "A Strong Stone That Stands Alone"
Nanu: "I Don't Need A Darn Title!"
Hapu: "The Surfacing Successor"
Acerola: "The Ancient Heir"
Kahili: "The Golfer That Swings High"
Molayne: "The Space Nerd With Nerves Of Steel"
Champions:
Sun:
"Bright As The Sun"
Moon: "Shines Like The Moon"
Kakui: "Half Professor, Half Pro Battler"
Hau: "Rising Above The Stars"

Seriously. FFS BALL BAG.

Berry Pouch.

All the stupid bag item inflation crap. Even with easy sorting, it is slower than any other gen with the random crap. Merge drives, remove their boosts to type. We don't need Mystic Water B, and Magnet B.

I wanted to breed a Kanto Diglett in my Ultra Sun game and I realized I only had one... and it was one of the wrong nature.

So what did I do? Typical stuff, breeding it with a Jolly Ditto, but since the Pokemon's regional form is dependent on the one with the Everstone, I gave an Everstone to both, assuming Ditto will be considered as a Kanto Diglett or, at worst, have the regional form of the babies be random.

What happened? Ditto defaults to the ALOLAN form, and if both parents have an Everstone, the Alolan form takes priority. End result, all Diglett were Alolan.

A very nasty thing to find out.

Last edited:
I wanted to breed a Kanto Diglett in my Ultra Sun game and I realized I only had one... and it was one of the wrong nature.

So what did I do? Typical stuff, breeding it with a Jolly Ditto, but since the Pokemon's regional form is dependent on the one with the Everstone, I gave an Everstone to both, assuming Ditto will be considered as a Kanto Diglett or, at worst, have the regional form of the babies be random.

What happened? Ditto defaults to the ALOLAN form, and if both parents have an Everstone, the Alolan form takes priority. End result, all Diglett were Alolan.

that is just stupid.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

Make sense to me. You're in Alola, you gave both a normal Diglett and Alolan Diglett an Everstone (thus nullifying the effect of keeping the Diglett a specific region variant), of course the Diglett will be the variant from the region it's currently in.

DERP, should have read this more carefully.

Last edited:
Make sense to me. You're in Alola, you gave both a normal Diglett and Alolan Diglett an Everstone (thus nullifying the effect of keeping the Diglett a specific region variant), of course the Diglett will be the variant from the region it's currently in.
why the heck does ditto have an alolan form??????? Ditto should only maintain the form version of the parent, unless it's a sex form in which case, random.

And why would ditto ever have form priority over anything????

I don't have an issue with the form priority. I'm puzzled at Ditto taking the Alolan form.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I don't have an issue with the form priority. I'm puzzled at Ditto taking the Alolan form.
OH, sorry, misread your post. Yeah, that does make no sense.

Now I'm curious what happens if you gave a Kanto Diglett and a Pokemon without an Alolan form both Everstones. Or two Kanto Pokemon of different species. Or the same species. Is this just an odd glitch with Ditto or does both parents having Everstones just negate it keeping a Kanto Pokemon's form?

OH, sorry, misread your post. Yeah, that does make no sense.

Now I'm curious what happens if you gave a Kanto Diglett and a Pokemon without an Alolan form both Everstones. Or two Kanto Pokemon of different species. Or the same species. Is this just an odd glitch with Ditto or does both parents having Everstones just negate it keeping a Kanto Pokemon's form?
After I discovered the Ditto issue, I just removed the Everstone to get a female Kanto Diglett and then used a Jolly male Incineroar I had, and gave both an Everstone. All Diglett were Kanto forms.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
After I discovered the Ditto issue, I just removed the Everstone to get a female Kanto Diglett and then used a Jolly male Incineroar I had, and gave both an Everstone. All Diglett were Kanto forms.
Was the original Kanto Diglett you had male? Maybe that was the issue, though breeding with a Kanto Diglett, since Ditto doesn't have a regional variant it's considered of the region it's in, thus when playing mother and holding the Everstone if bred with a male Kanto Pokemon, even if its holding an Everstone, the child will be Alolan.

... I swear that paragraph makes more sense in my head.

Last edited:
Was the original Kanto Ditto you had male? Maybe that was the issue, though breeding with a Kanto Diglett, since Ditto doesn't have a regional variant it's considered of the region it's in, thus when playing mother and holding the Everstone if bred with a male Kanto Pokemon, even if its holding an Everstone, the child will be Alolan.

... I swear that paragraph makes more sense in my head.
It might make more sense if the first part was saying Diglett and not Ditto. :P

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 11)