Guzzlord Discussion

Ugh, they make such a great design and then give it Wailord's godawful stat spread...

Poor guy doesn't even get reliable recovery. I could see him maybe running a Stockpile+RestTalk set with Dragon Tail or something, but nothing outside of that.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, no. We have yet another tragic case of overspecialization here, and to be honest full-on RestTalk shuffling hasn't been exactly cute or viable for the last few years due to how exploitable the strategy tend to be (unless you're gen V Black Kyurem). Since this thing lacks decent recovery, it's easy to defog hazards now, and the thing is vulnerable to many many many weaknesses that dedicated shuffling be unsuccessful 70%+ of the time, I think it's better to call it quits on the purely defensive front and follow Hyreigon/Goodra's footsteps.

Guzzlord @ Choice Specs / Assault Vest
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 128 Def / 252 SpA / 128 SpD
Modest / Quiet Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Sludge Bomb / Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast / Dragon Tail

Okay, you got some utterly unremarkable but usable offensive stats, you're slow as Lady Gaga's current career and you have a booty and HP stat so big it makes Tyler Perry's Madea suit cry. So, if you don't want to be dead weight, max our your offense, invest in the defense stats (instead of HP for optimal defense gains) and strut your stuff like slow attacker number 2342346. Voila, you're Shaq now. If you specifically want Guzzlord to switch and retaliate against one specific type of attack (special or physical) over another, though, feel free to invest fully in the respective defense stat since that VASTLY improves the stat (See: Chansey).

So as Clair said, you'll be expecting Specs Guzzlord to hit slightly less harder than Hydreigon; fortunately, due to Dark Pulse's coverage and Draco Meteor's immediate power you'll still be able to nuke stuff pretty hard. The draw here is its ability to tank attacks; with the EV spread, you're approximately as bulky as 252/252+ Druddigon and standard Stealth Rock Clefable, so it doesn't go down easy. Alternatively, it can don an Assault Vest ala Goodra and mess up conventional switch play when people think it's safe to go in after Draco Meteor. Vest set is best used somewhat early when you have rocks and/or toxic spikes set up. Some calcs showing its bulk (though I doubt it'll dissuade anyone from using Hydreigon instead):

252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Guzzlord: 224-265 (36.9 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Bisharp Iron Head vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 181-214 (55.6 - 65.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Guzzlord in Grassy Terrain: 328-387 (54 - 63.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (can take one hammer, retaliate with Fire Blast or Sludge Bomb)
252+ Atk Choice Band Tapu Bulu Wood Hammer vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon in Grassy Terrain: 264-311 (81.2 - 95.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (gets KO'd after rocks or a round of LO damage)

252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Guzzlord: 346-408 (57 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Life Orb Technician Breloom Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 281-330 (86.4 - 101.5%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

184 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 128 SpD Assault Vest Guzzlord: 421-499 (69.3 - 82.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (gets KO'd w/o)
184 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Hydreigon: 507-601 (156 - 184.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO (with an assault vest it still gets KO'd)

+1 252 Atk Life Orb Gyarados Bounce vs. 0 HP / 128 Def Guzzlord: 356-421 (58.6 - 69.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO (retaliates w/ Dragon Tail or specs meteor = 86.4 - 101.8%)
+1 252 Atk Life Orb Gyarados Bounce vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 286-339 (88 - 104.3%) -- 31.3% chance to OHKO

And yeah, guess that's the best it can do since it learns jack shit for healing or boosting (at least Curse, christ).

Last edited:
I would have taken 40 atk or sp atk and dump it on their other attacking stat to make it a hard hitting tank. Guzzlord's offensive options are a bit meh, but has enough options for running a one dimensional move set. I guess Crunch, Dragon Claw, EQ and either Iron Tail or Poison Jab for a Physical Variant. Draco, Dark Pulse, Fire Miss / Flamethrower and Sludge Bomb for a Special variant. Maybe add Toxic into the mix considering both variants are walled easily by various Pokes. Not a huge fan of the phasing set. Though it can work.

With wish support, Guzzlord can be an effective tank. Dark/Dragon has some obvious exploitable weaknesses, but also has handy resistances and good bulk to take most neutral hits. Even with a lacklusterish movepool, it hits plenty of Pokes super effectively with what it gets. 101/97 offenses is good for a Poke with this disgusting amount of HP.

I'm hoping Guzzlord gets interesting options when the 7 gen Move Tutor arrives. Gunk Shot would be nice for Physical set to hit on the switch fairies that are neutral to Steel like Azumarill who might shrug a Wave due to Assault Vest. Knock Off would be excellent on Guzzlord as well. Guzzlord is capable of learning Sludge Bomb / Wave so why not?

Tory

Banned deucer.
Heck, why not run Payback over Crunch? You're already slow as hell and are almost always gonna get hit by something first I feel.

Man I love this thing's design but that stat distribution is just awful (sans the HP).
Yes, I 100% agree with that. Crunch is good, but since this Pokemon is very slow and more likely to go last, Payback is the best. When Showdown release S&M Pokemon, I will flood OU with Ultra beasts before most get banned to Ubers. :)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I was not seeing Dark/DRAGON for this guy.

Good (Guzz)lord, that HP. even with lots defenses this thing isn't going in one turn. Its Attack is also good, Special Attack decent, and Speed is good for Trick Room.

Has the STABs (though got to learn the Dragon one via Tutor, you know the one). Physical moves are Iron Tail/Heavy Slam (didn't even think how heavy this thing might be...), Hammer Arm/Brick Break, Thrash/Return, Earthquake, Shadow Claw, Stone Edge/Rock Slide, and Poison Jab. Special side isn't so big, infact it only had Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb and Flamethrower/Fire Blast. If you want any of those it might best go mix, otherwise stay Physical. Utilities are Wide Guard, Stockpile & Swallow (no Spit Up because its a black hole), and Gastro Acid. I'd even say Rest & Sleep Talk might be good on it.

Well, this thing is going to be FUN to fight in the game. Not sure how it'll do competitively but I don't think any team will hurt by having a massive wall that can punch on their side.

I would buy it if it had Cosmic Power and the new Stored Power clone move which i forgot the name.
Otherwise, to me it's kinda useless... well, even with that combo i mentioned it's bad. Maybe it will get better eventually.

A gimmick set (I don't know how good of a gimmick) could be Z-Stockpile + 3 attacks. If you fully invest in HP and Attack or SpA, two Stockpiles still leaves them as your highest stat.

So Stockpile + Z-Stockpile. Leaves you at full HP plus very solid defenses and free to attack with decent potential. Could be a fun wincon at best but probably nothing more.

this thing is my favorite UB, it looks like some derpy lovecraftian abomination. I think it's gonna end up in UU, possibly the only UB to fall into the tier, but being good in UU isn't so bad. Will probably have some OU viability with that sheer fatness, weird it only has 101 base attack tho.

233 HP is wasted by having shitty defenses. Oh, and it's only recovery moves (Swallow + Stockpile as well as RestTalk) use up half its movepool.

Do you know what, I just remembered this:

I saw a clip of this thing actually surviving a dazzling gleam from a Tapu koko when they were nearly the same level

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)