Guzzlord Discussion

I can see this as a wall against Amoonguss, Gengar, Heatran (without Taunt), Jirachi, Mega Metagross (without Ice Punch and Hammer Arm), Mew, Serperior, Talonflame, Tangrowth, and Zapdos (without Hidden Power Ice).
Crunch over Toxic seems reasonable, but your spread is flawed. When Beast Boost will activate, only your Def stat will be boosted. Either you opt for an Impish Nature (making Beast Boost raising only your Atk stat) or you stick with the spread I suggested, which, imo, is much more beneficial since a small drop in Atk and Def, the letter of which is more or less compensated by a small HP investment, won't affect much of its offensive capabilities and with said spread, its Atk, Def and SpDef will increase after it KOes an opponent.

Crunch over Toxic seems reasonable, but your spread is flawed. When Beast Boost will activate, only your Def stat will be boosted. Either you opt for an Impish Nature (making Beast Boost raising only your Atk stat) or you stick with the spread I suggested, which, imo, is much more beneficial since a small drop in Atk and Def, the letter of which is more or less compensated by a small HP investment, won't affect much of its offensive capabilities and with said spread, its Atk, Def and SpDef will increase after it KOes an opponent.
Has this been confirmed anywhere?

Has this been confirmed anywhere?
Nope, but looking at Beast Boost's description: "The Pokémon boosts its most proficient stat each time it knocks out a Pokémon", I can hope only hope it actually raises those three stats if they're of equal value and the highest stats of Guzzlord (excluding HP, of course).

Guzzlord isn't supposed to take on Fairy-type mons (and Steel-types tbh):

0- Atk Guzzlord Heavy Slam (120BP) vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 158-186 (40.1 - 47.2%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

You can't expect a Pokémon to take out every (or most) opposing mons with a typing, stat distribution or role advantage. That's what teammates are for.
I didn't say that it had to beat everything, don't lecture me. I just think it's counter productive to have to switch out and lose momentum and any Beast Boosts you may have gained every time Clefable switches in with impunity.

And that calc doesn't disprove my point. Doing 40% minimum to Clefable on the switch is better than doing literally nothing to it with Toxic and Dragon Tail, essentially forcing it to use Soft-boiled because Moonblast doesn't OHKO this spread.

And if Guzzlord already has the +1 from Beast Boost it can actually beat a weakened Clefable: +1 0- Atk Guzzlord Heavy Slam vs. 252 HP / 172 Def Clefable: 236-278 (59.8 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
While Moonblast is only doing this much back: 0 SpA Clefable Moonblast vs. +1 72 HP / 180+ SpD Guzzlord: 304-360 (48.6 - 57.6%) -- 92.2% chance to 2HKO

Last edited:
Nope, but looking at Beast Boost's description: "The Pokémon boosts its most proficient stat each time it knocks out a Pokémon", I can hope only hope it actually raises those three stats if they're of equal value and the highest stats of Guzzlord (excluding HP, of course).
Okay, I thought it was speculation. I was just looking around for confirmation and couldn't find it. Is nobody able to test this yet?

Tory

Banned deucer.
I am so sorry, I wrote Bold over Impish Nature by mistake. You notice that I didn't do that on purpose. :)

I am so sorry, I wrote Bold over Impish Nature by mistake. You notice that I didn't do that on purpose. :)
Oh, well that explains a lot. I guess it could work then. In all cases, Guzzlord's optimal set will certainly be adapted to face current and new offensive threats (the Tapus rising, Gengar probably falling, Talonflame falling, etc.).

Looks like a really fat tank with workable offensive stats. Dragon / Dark isn't the best defensive typing in the world and no reliable recovery prevent this mon from being a Godly tank. Offensive movepool is nice. Probably gonna be UU at best.

So apparently Beast Boost ONLY boosts one stat and in the event of a tie, the order of priority is Atk -> Def -> SpA -> SpD -> Spe, where Atk would be the highest priority to buff and Speed would be the lowest.

Makes sense for balance, but hurts Guzzlord even more.

Credit to UltiMario
Well, crap. That means my set mentioned in the previous page becomes thrash and Tory vs. Raven VI T's would certainly be much more closer to its optimal set (if that's not the most optimal already).

Heck, why not run Payback over Crunch? You're already slow as hell and are almost always gonna get hit by something first I feel.

Man I love this thing's design but that stat distribution is just awful (sans the HP).

Unless it's changed, you only need to move last for Payback's BP to be doubled, which is even better! (Seriously, where can I find moves and abilities boosts/nerfs?)

I was messing around with possible sets for Guzzlord and found something interesting:

Guzzlord @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Def / 180 SpD / 4 Spe (if Calm) or 72 HP / 180 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Spe (if Bold)
Calm or Bold Nature
IVs: 21 Atk / 0 SpA
- Dragon Tail
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

The moveset itself isn't really innovative as it has been used multiple times in the past. The weird part resides in the EVs, natures and IVS of the set. With 252 Def / 180+ SpDef or 180+ Def / 252 SpDef, Guzzlord obtains 205 in both defenses. However, even without any investment, both of its offensive stats are greater than 205 (with neutral natures, 238 and 230 respectively). To solve this problem, the Atk stat must be lowered down to 205 by giving Guzzlord either a Calm or Bold Nature (depending on the chosen EV spread) and by reducing its Atk IV to 21, and the SpAtk stat must lowered down to 205 and below by reducing its SpAtk IV to 0-6.

Why all those specific spread shenanigans? Well, If Guzzlord does get a KO by repeatedly shuffling and Toxic-stalling the opposing team, Beast Boost will activate and boost its Atk, Def and SpDef stats by one stage, making it even more dangerous and hard to take down!

I only hope that Beast Boost actually works that way when some stats possess the same value and that this kind of set will be a legitimate option for Guzzlord.
Apparently Beast Boost has a priority system in case of a tie, so it would always be Attack that gets boosted.

EDIT: Ya know, maybe i should pay attention when these things have more than one pages. >_<

EDIT 2: How heavy is it? If it can survive a hit from a fairy, maybe Heavy Slam could take it out? idk how usable this would be though... At least it has an attack stat that Blissey wishes she had.

That HP stat seems pointless with those defenses. Still waiting for Gamefreak to make a proper wall. Gamefreak should've gave this way less special attack and speed while beefing up the defense and special defense.

Stockpile+Rest seems like the best option for it. Walls things like Crawdaunt, Zard-Y, Mega Gyarados, Volcanion, Chandelure, all electric types that don't have focus blast, Entei and Mega Houndoom based on typing alone. Usable, but could have obviously have been better.

252+ Atk Choice Band Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 262-309 (59.1 - 69.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Guzzlord: 433-510 (64.7 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Mega Rayquaza Dragon Ascent vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Wobbuffet: 412-486 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

It falls more or less halfway between Cresselia and Wobbuffet, so it's better than you're making it out to be. I think a RestTalk Shuffler set will be good, plus it can blanket check a lot of stuff.
Yeah its a waste to put evs in HP anyway since its the highest in the game besides blissey and Chansey. Might as well put it in either both defenses or a offensive stat since its offensives aren't very remarkable.

Specs with Dark Pulse, Draco, Fire Blast, Sludge Bomb would be how I'd play it. It can afford to run a Modest nature so it's scarcely weaker than Hydreigon, but with vastly improved defenses.

The best Pokemon to compare this guy's bulk to appears to be Wobbuffet.

190/33/58/33/58/33 vs 233/101/53/97/53/43

Also, this guy learns tail moves. Is there a pic of him that shows his tail?
His box icon is the only one we have for that right now, based on it though it's a long, clubbed ankylosaur type tail.

That HP stat seems pointless with those defenses. Still waiting for Gamefreak to make a proper wall. Gamefreak should've gave this way less special attack and speed while beefing up the defense and special defense.

Stockpile+Rest seems like the best option for it. Walls things like Crawdaunt, Zard-Y, Mega Gyarados, Volcanion, Chandelure, all electric types that don't have focus blast, Entei and Mega Houndoom based on typing alone. Usable, but could have obviously have been better.
But is Stockpile worth using? That would correct its bad defenses but on the other hand, that leaves only 2 moves remaining. Guzzlord would like to have Dragon Tail and Toxic to not be complete setup fodder, but without Sleep Talk, it is just too passive.

Hmm.Remind me,isn't Z-Stockpile a 100% heal,plus the stat boost?

Bit too relying on luck,and the opponent's mistakes,but have the first/second one be the Z-Stockpile,so you're back to full health with okay defence.Add in Crunch-Toxic-Dragon Tail and you get something...okay I guess?

Ah,should've read the thread.Silly me. xD

Does Beast Boost affect only base or boosted stats?Assuming it somehow manages to kill anything,the distinction might help it's offence over the boosted defences.

Last edited:
Hmm.Remind me,isn't Z-Stockpile a 100% heal,plus the stat boost?

Bit too relying on luck,and the opponent's mistakes,but have the first/second one be the Z-Stockpile,so you're back to full health with okay defence.Add in Crunch-Toxic-Dragon Tail and you get something...okay I guess?

Ah,should've read the thread.Silly me. xD

Does Beast Boost affect only base or boosted stats?Assuming it somehow manages to kill anything,the distinction might help it's offence over the boosted defences.
Actual stat, not base stat.

Ah,thank you.So he'll get tougher.

Assuming you run a 4Atk/252Def/252Sp.Def with Brave Nature,a single Stockpile could get your Defences to 150 I believe?That's some cute bulk.

Heck, why not run Payback over Crunch? You're already slow as hell and are almost always gonna get hit by something first I feel.

Man I love this thing's design but that stat distribution is just awful (sans the HP).
Don't say that! You'll make Guzzlord sad

http://i.imgur.com/KGhPN1B.gifv

I find its stats to be intriguing. It's like what would happen if you left a Blissey and Hydreigon at the Day Care together. I think it will do a decent job in competitive, especially VGC seeing as it has Brutal Swing, Snarl, Bulldoze, Earthquake, Rock Slide, and Sludge Wave for spread coverage (with Snarl and Bulldoze also supplying utility), and it has Wide Guard.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)