Gavantula

SR is not a minority move! It's on heaps of teams, and entry hazards totally cripple Denchura, allowing for a possible 50% cut in HP and Badly Poisoned status on an incredibly frail Pokemon (while this is somewhat countered by good resistances). On topic, 70/60/60 Defenses aren't as bad as Mienshao's and while Galvantula hasn't got Regenerator, it does at least have Volt Change to escape bad situations and damage 'slower Fast pokemon'.

SR is not common since in gen 4 you see 70 % of team run S, 9 % run Spikes, 21 % run both. But in gen 5 you see 20 % run SR, 40 % run spikes AND 40 % run BOTH.

Its EVEN worse for denchura if your using SR argument. SR is used less but both sr and spike is used more.

denchura raikou is like starmie/flygon. However remember that last gen Scarf gon is just a good revenger hence why weak earthquake is a common sight. Also safe switch to starmie not named bliss is so rare. Thats why Starmie is stronger most of the time.

this guy has just everything it needs:compound eyes for a super strong stab attack(thunder),nice secondary powerful stab to abuse in bug, access to volt change to scout and escape from difficult situations, not to mention that its base speed is similar to that of the musketeer trio and infernape...i believe that a life orb set with thunder/bug buzz/volt change/hp ice or energy ball is at least decent to start a battle or utilize as a late game cleaner...

SR is not common since in gen 4 you see 70 % of team run S, 9 % run Spikes, 21 % run both. But in gen 5 you see 20 % run SR, 40 % run spikes AND 40 % run BOTH.

Its EVEN worse for denchura if your using SR argument. SR is used less but both sr and spike is used more.

denchura raikou is like starmie/flygon. However remember that last gen Scarf gon is just a good revenger hence why weak earthquake is a common sight. Also safe switch to starmie not named bliss is so rare. Thats why Starmie is stronger most of the time.
Where do you get these stats from? Unless you can prove it, I'll say that this is an utter myth. SR is used just as much as in Gen 4, as are the other hazards. The difference is that spinning is a lot easier given that Starmie has Drizzle to boosts its hits and Dory is just powerful anyway, and Espeon/Xatu exist and Magic Coat has the same effect, as well as MH users being able to Taunt any SR users since Mental Herb is barely used.

SR is used just as much, as are the other hazards, there are simply better ways to deal with it this Gen making it seem less of a threat if you plan for it, imo.

I'm thinking about using this in a rain dance team. Timid + Compound eyes. would Agility + Subs + Thunder + Rain dance be too much of a set up?

With Compoundeyes, you don't need rain.
Not that I'm doing a great job of answering his question, but it was "in a rain dance team" rather than "as a stand alone beneficiary of rain".

I suppose the question is "Is there a viable rain dance set?" I'm leaning towards no...

I see the pre-evo of this doing major damage in LC with the ability "Tension". It stops Oran berries in their tracks!

If anyone could direct me to a analysis of the pre-evo, that would be great, that is if there is one.

Not that I'm doing a great job of answering his question, but it was "in a rain dance team" rather than "as a stand alone beneficiary of rain".

I suppose the question is "Is there a viable rain dance set?" I'm leaning towards no...
I mean without Subs and Agility, i do want to make good use of bug buzz, and possibly Protect/Volt change?

The main use of him having rain dance is to support the rest of the team, as well providing 100% acc to thunder. Would subs and agility be good value to add to it?
Well, he's already pretty damn fast.
His subs break easily and probably wont help that much when you run mono-attack.
Thunder as a mono-attack is BAD. There are TONS of Ground types and quite a few common things resist Electric.
Having Rain Dance to further limit your coverage is also bad.

Well, he's already pretty damn fast.
His subs break easily and probably wont help that much when you run mono-attack.
Thunder as a mono-attack is BAD. There are TONS of Ground types and quite a few common things resist Electric.
Having Rain Dance to further limit your coverage is also bad.
Yeah that was my worry. Thanks.

Looking at His move pool I could just replace Subs and agility with special attacks.

SR is not a minority move! It's on heaps of teams, and entry hazards totally cripple Denchura, allowing for a possible 50% cut in HP and Badly Poisoned status on an incredibly frail Pokemon (while this is somewhat countered by good resistances). On topic, 70/60/60 Defenses aren't as bad as Mienshao's and while Galvantula hasn't got Regenerator, it does at least have Volt Change to escape bad situations and damage 'slower Fast pokemon'.
I'm sorry, but that's applicable to every single Pokemon that is 2x weak to SR and switches in on that many layers/ types of entry hazzards. It's not like Denchura is the only pokemon that can be stripped of 50% of its health by entry hazzards. It just seems completely assinine to state that.

I never said it was a minority move, or that it wasn't very common.

I simply said it is less common because SR isn't a TM anymore, and because of DW abillities.

Their is still ample access to to it, it's just more specific now.

Where do you get these stats from? Unless you can prove it, I'll say that this is an utter myth. SR is used just as much as in Gen 4, as are the other hazards. The difference is that spinning is a lot easier given that Starmie has Drizzle to boosts its hits and Dory is just powerful anyway, and Espeon/Xatu exist and Magic Coat has the same effect, as well as MH users being able to Taunt any SR users since Mental Herb is barely used.

SR is used just as much, as are the other hazards, there are simply better ways to deal with it this Gen making it seem less of a threat if you plan for it, imo.
You dont get that aproximate stats is a sarcasm(its based on my experience though) ? Spikes is used more so yeah you get that 25 %(sr weak number) easilly. THEN SR ALONE is used less but SR AND Spikes is used even more. Yeah this metagame is very cruel to grounded SR weak mon.

i thought of a set it probably wont work too well though

galvantula @ salac berry (im thinking of the one that raises speed, correct me if im wrong)
swarm
timid nature
evs: 4 hp/252 SpA/252 Speed
substitiute
agility
electro ball
bug buzz

switch into something it can counter, like a frail flying or water type, and the opponent will then switch thinking its the usual compound eyes thunder using galvantula, but substitute on the switch, use agility and keep on subbing/usinhig agility until your berry activates at which point you will have very high speed and electro balls damage will go way up. bug buzz is there for STAB and coverage i guess and its power will also be very high once swarm activates

i thought of a set it probably wont work too well though

galvantula @ salac berry (im thinking of the one that raises speed, correct me if im wrong)
swarm
timid nature
evs: 4 hp/252 SpA/252 Speed
substitiute
agility
electro ball
bug buzz

switch into something it can counter, like a frail flying or water type, and the opponent will then switch thinking its the usual compound eyes thunder using galvantula, but substitute on the switch, use agility and keep on subbing/usinhig agility until your berry activates at which point you will have very high speed and electro balls damage will go way up. bug buzz is there for STAB and coverage i guess and its power will also be very high once swarm activates
Salac Berry + Agility is redundant. Petaya Berry is better because Galvantula's Special Attack is good, but not good enough to sweep.

Electro Ball sucks, it's pointless trying to make it work, change it into a swarm+agility abuse set instead.

Galvantula @ Petaya Berry
Swarm
Modest nature
evs: 4 xx/252 SpA/252 Speed
substitute
agility
Thunderbolt
bug buzz

Like that. Changed to modest nature because with agility up, you're at 600+ speed, much of it is redundant, and you'll be able to outspeed Doryuuzu in the sand, even though you don't really want to be caught in the sand with this set, or going up against Dory at all, although you might actually be able to power through it with a modest, Petaya, swarm boosted bug buzz.
You'll need to EV or IV in such a manner that you gain your petaya boost while you still have 25% health, I'm sure someone else will know the actual number.

As far as I can tell, Galvantula's only selling point is being a fast bug/electric type, along with Compound eyes Thunder. It could be really good in UU, you never know.

Just because Empoleon can do Sub + Petaya + Agility does not mean every pokemon with the combination should. Galvantula is laughably frail and will have difficulty switching in, hindering that set up, not to mention the fact that it will fail to KO things like Virizion or Gliscor even at +1. Then of course there is weather to worry about, and priority still hits it hard (Conkeldurr's Iron Fist or Guts Mach Punch breaks its Sub). It isn't worth it.

Galvantula's niche is Compoundeyes Thunder with some coverage moves, and that's about it. There are better Agility sweepers, better paralysis spreaders, and 2 consecutive Thunders does more damage than Agility + Electro Ball or Thunder Wave + Electro Ball (assuming 150 BP).

elchupo, I know this is true for every 2* weak grounded Pokemon, but this IS a Galvantula thread so I was just discussing Galvantula and how it matches up with entry hazards. But with Rapid Spin support it really isn't bad.

I dunno about you guys, but I'd include Spider Web in my set. If you use it when the foe switches our friendly neighborhood electric spider will be undamaged and the opponent can't switch. And an opponent that can't switch is...well as good as dead in most cases! ^_^'

I dunno about you guys, but I'd include Spider Web in my set. If you use it when the foe switches our friendly neighborhood electric spider will be undamaged and the opponent can't switch. And an opponent that can't switch is...well as good as dead in most cases! ^_^'
The problem is, the opponent goes,

"Hmmm, I see a Galvantula. Will I switch in a pokemon that will easily beat it, or will I send in a pokemon that is as good as dead against Galvantula?"

If your opponent is the least bit sane, Spider Web won't help much.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)