Pokémon Exploud

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's speed could be low enough to make for an excellent trick room sweeper. That 140 BP boom burst is very intimidating when it goes first.

When I saw that Exploud got Boomburst, I knew it would wreck. Noivern doesn't get STAB on it and it's a Flying/Dragon type, which means it's weak to Ice x4, Dragon x2, and Fairy x2. Exploud has good coverage and it's in NU, with hardly any bad threats. It could be the Kyogre or Xerneas of NU....
I HAVE FAITH IN YOU, EXPLOUD!!!

With Scrappy you have perfect neutral/SE coverage with BoomBurst and Focus Miss...just saying

A mixed set that has BoomBurst/Power Up Punch/EQ/Rest could be used, and honestly the last two were filler moves. If played right thanks to scrappy Exploud can run a train

With Scrappy you have perfect neutral/SE coverage with BoomBurst and Focus Miss...just saying

A mixed set that has BoomBurst/Power Up Punch/EQ/Rest could be used, and honestly the last two were filler moves. If played right thanks to scrappy Exploud can run a train
I'm not so sure about PuP and Rest on him tbh, he's too slow and frail in the grand scheme of things for that kind of set, he needs to hit very hard straight off the bat. That being said I do agree that Focus miss would be good, possibly as a replacement for Ice Beam. In honesty though, NE Boomburst does almost the same damage as a Neutral Focus Blast without the 30% miss chance...

If Exploud gets hugely popular in its given tier, a great counter to it might, oddly enough, be Soundproof Exploud. Sacrificing Boomburst's coverage against Ghosts (Shadow Ball can easily be subbed in to cover ghosts) to destroy choice-locked Boombursters.

Just for reference for this thread, Soundproof can be found on:

Voltorb/Electrode
Mime Jr/Mr. Mime
Whismur/Loudred/Exploud
Shieldon/Bastiodon
Snover/Abomasnow
Bouffalant

With Scrappy, Boomburst and Specs, I can see this bein a great Wallbreaker in the lower tiers, but I don't think it will go any higher than RU, with some uses and niches in UU but no more. Tho on trick room, that could be a different story, but I dunno really, needs some testin.

If Exploud gets hugely popular in its given tier, a great counter to it might, oddly enough, be Soundproof Exploud. Sacrificing Boomburst's coverage against Ghosts (Shadow Ball can easily be subbed in to cover ghosts) to destroy choice-locked Boombursters.

Just for reference for this thread, Soundproof can be found on:

Voltorb/Electrode
Mime Jr/Mr. Mime
Whismur/Loudred/Exploud
Shieldon/Bastiodon
Snover/Abomasnow
Bouffalant
Whilst the SpecsBurster set would get nicely checked by those- not, however, if it was running LO or Lefties or Assault Vest (an item I was advocating in a post that got deleted...). You're right though, Exploud is a good Specsploud counter!

I think running Assault Vest could be a viable option. He becomes surprisingly bulky and has huge damage still

Last edited:
Whilst the SpecsBurster set would get nicely checked by those- if it was running LO or Lefties or Assault Vest (an item I was advocating in a post that got deleted...). You're right though, Exploud is a good Specsploud counter!

I think running Assault Vest could be a viable option. He becomes surprisingly bulky and has huge damage still
I think this is interesting idea, especially when GameFreak decided to buff his Special Defense this gen by 10 points. While you will miss lots of raw power, your STAB Boomburst should still hurt frailer targets and you may bluff Choice sets as well this way. Something worth to consider. Also I have another idea.

Exploud @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Nature: Timid / Modest
~ Fake Tears
~ Boomburst
~ Fire Blast
~ Focus Blast / Surf

While Exploud has no way to sharply boost his SpA stat, actually there is one way he can 'boost' his power - by using Fake Tears. To make this set work, paralysis/sticky web support would be required, but I'm pretty sure not many of his switches enjoy taking hits from him when they are at -2 SpD. Some damage calcs to see how it works:

4 HP / 252 SpD Blissey at -2 vs Max SpA Timid Exploud Life Orb Boomburst
41.56%-49.23% [16.24% for 2HKO with SR up]

With Modest:
45.71%-53.99% [95.60% (!) chance to 2HKO with SR up)

Oh wow, you actually have the ability to beat Blissey 1on1 with Fake Tears set. Sounds like a promising wall-breaker so far. Now 252 HP Chansey (also counting Eviolite, if you use Fake Tears on switch, it's like she has -1 SpD at start):

With Timid:
47.44%-55.97% [100% to 2HKO with SR up]

With Modest:
52.13%-61.51% [100% to 2HKO with SR up]

You actually have a really good chance to beat Pink Blobs with this set. Hmm... let's see how it goes against other specially bulky targets.

252 HP / 252 SpD Positive Nature Florges vs Life Orb Modest Boomburst
75.28%-88.61% [7.69% chance to OHKO with SR up]

Timid:
68.61%-81.11%

Well, this certainly hurts. What else we may check ? Hmmmm... Jirachi. Why not. Max HP/ Max SpD Positive Nature. Well, Fire Blast Time:
87.13%-102.97% [53.85% chance to OHKO with SR up]

The bulkiest version doesn't stand a chance.

Ok, now it's time for Assault Vest Tyranitar. Max HP/Max SpD Positive Nature. One of the bulkiest Pokemon around on special side as well. Once he switches in he goes from +2 Boost to his SpD (Sandstorm + Assault Vest) to +0 thanks to Fake Tears. Focus Blast hits for:

Timid:
88.12%-103.96% (100% OHKO with SR up)

Modest:
96.04%-113.86% (100% OHKO with SR up)

Unfortunately you must rely on shaky Focus Miss for this, as Surf is too weak to do anything here.

This time let's go Boomburst vs Max HP Assault Vest Positive Nature Goodra.

Timid:
65.38%-77.47%

Modest:
71.98%-84.89%

Maybe this time Boomburst vs Standard Speciall Wall Jellicent (All Hail Scrappy :D)

Timid:
82.43%- 97.28% (58.97% for OHKO with SR up)

Modest:
90.59%-106.93% (100% to OHKO with SR up)

Anyway this looks kind of impressive if you ask me. While Fake Tears is still not the most reliable move around, it allows you to break through even the sturdiest stuff possible. While I would still prefer Nasty Plot over Fake Tears. Yeah, when I look at it - Nasty Plot Exploud would actually be pretty darn good.

Last edited:
^ At above post.

I like the idea, giving Exploud some more 1v1 potential with the big special walls, considering Exploud has access to a scrappy Boomburst and Focus Blast, he can afford to only run three attacks! With flamethrower being the third. Those calculations are pretty impressive, but how well can he take a hit from Ttar and co. is the question that arises there, but it definitely shows he's got some potential to be a wallbreaker of sorts.

I think Exploud has a lot of buffs this gen.. I wouldn't call him OU, but he can maybe fulfill niches there.. In UU and below he can be a beast I believe, though the speed is his main hindrance atm it seems.

tailwind support and he's good to go, surprised no one brought that up yet.
Tailwind plumb doesn't last long enough to be effective, especially considering Exploud's relative frailty and lack of resists hindering constant switch-ins after recharging the winds.

Yeah he benefits from tailwind.^ Above post is true, the lack of switch-in ability is a problem though.

Taunt could be another useful addition for coming up against certain walls. That fourth moveslot has a deceptive amount of options it seems to me!

Suicide talonflame lead with priority tailwind ---> dies ----> exploud goes in and kills everything without priority with choice specs boomburst.

alternatively you wait to kill everyone with priority and then do the above because stealth rocks or not talonflame will probably get the tailwind off unless they have extremespeed or something.

obviously it's not foolproof or everyone would use it but it solves a lot of his problems. Baton pass scolipede makes a decent partner as well if you can toss exploud a sub.

Suicide talonflame lead with priority tailwind ---> dies ----> exploud goes in and kills everything without priority with choice specs boomburst.
Mach punchers can wreak this strategy (tho you mentioned that priority presents a problem), along with bulky steels, tho.

^ At above post.

I like the idea, giving Exploud some more 1v1 potential with the big special walls, considering Exploud has access to a scrappy Boomburst and Focus Blast, he can afford to only run three attacks! With flamethrower being the third. Those calculations are pretty impressive, but how well can he take a hit from Ttar and co. is the question that arises there, but it definitely shows he's got some potential to be a wallbreaker of sorts.

I think Exploud has a lot of buffs this gen.. I wouldn't call him OU, but he can maybe fulfill niches there.. In UU and below he can be a beast I believe, though the speed is his main hindrance atm it seems.
Well of course there are some problems with Exploud in OU, as he is really slow and kind of frail as well (not super frail, but he wished to have more bulk to work with). Although this set can be really annoying to deal with for slower teams (and this metagame so far is slower than previous one), you may just switch out to avoid stat drop. It would be nice to stuck hazards on field (as Fake Tears may force switches like mad), but with Defog it's really hard to do. Assault Vest would fix his bulk problems somewhat, but unfortunately with AV you can't use Fake Tears X_X (this is why Nasty Plot would be a GODSEND for this guy as he has movepool and great STAB to abuse it). And this set really struggles against more offensive teams, as finding free turn against them to switch in may be really hard to do, although once you get in, Life Orb Boomburst nukes frailer targets easily, so you may attack right of the bat. But yeah, better provide paralysis/sticky web support for this to work. Although you can't deny that if you support this set well, it should work as it's wallbreaking potential is undeniable. Not even close to good OU material (but it has ok niche for OU as well) and in lower tiers against slower teams may wallbreak just through everything. But yeah - you better avoid taking hits, although thanks to Fake Tears in many cases you may indeed avoid taking any damage and just slam something in one hit (like Focus Blast vs Assault Vest Tyranitar or Fire Blast vs SpD Jirachi), which is good news.

Last edited:
Well of course there are some problems with Exploud in OU, as he is really slow and kind of frail as well (not super frail, but he wished to have more bulk to work with). Although this set can be really annoying to deal with for slower teams (and this metagame so far is slower than previous one), you may just switch out to avoid stat drop. It would be nice to stuck hazards on field (as Fake Tears may force switches like mad), but with Defog it's really hard to do. Assault Vest would fix his bulk problems somewhat, but unfortunately with AV you can't use Fake Tears X_X (this is why Nasty Plot would be a GODSEND for this guy as he has movepool and great STAB to abuse it). And this set really struggles against more offensive teams, as finding free turn against them to switch in may be really hard to do, although once you get in, Life Orb Boomburst nukes frailer targets easily, so you may attack right of the bat. But yeah, better provide paralysis/sticky web support for this to work. Although you can't deny that if you support this set well, it should work as it's wallbreaking potential is undeniable. Not even close to good OU material (but it has ok niche for OU as well) and in lower tiers againt slower teams may just wallbreak just through everything. But yeah - you better avoid taking hits, although thanks to Fake Tears in many cases you may indeed avoid taking any damage and just slam something in one hit (like Focus Blast vs Assault Vest Tyranitar or Fire Blast vs SpD Jirachi), which is good news.
How does he learn Fake Tears btw? Sorry if it's obvious!

Have to admit, those calculations were awesome though- shows he has real potential even against the big boys in OU. I agree with his typing not allowing many good switchins though, despite STAB Boomburst being incredible, if he had a secondary typing to give some resistances it'd be really nice..I think with a team build around it, possibly a Magnezone to take care of steels, a tailwinder or paralysis support this guy can put a huge dent in teams, there's not a whole lot that can switch into a Life Orb or Specs'd Boomburst.

I really hope he can make it to OU, but I doubt he will, just seems to be lacking in a few too many areas (not enough overall bulk, too slow and not quite enough special attack as a trade off.) Still, I'll test out a few sets to see his viability in different situations..

How does he learn Fake Tears btw? Sorry if it's obvious!

Have to admit, those calculations were awesome though- shows he has real potential even against the big boys in OU. I agree with his typing not allowing many good switchins though, despite STAB Boomburst being incredible, if he had a secondary typing to give some resistances it'd be really nice..I think with a team build around it, possibly a Magnezone to take care of steels, a tailwinder or paralysis support this guy can put a huge dent in teams, there's not a whole lot that can switch into a Life Orb or Specs'd Boomburst.

I really hope he can make it to OU, but I doubt he will, just seems to be lacking in a few too many areas (not enough overall bulk, too slow and not quite enough special attack as a trade off.) Still, I'll test out a few sets to see his viability in different situations..
It's an Egg Move. And BTW he learns Boomburst as level-up move (at level 85) and Focus Blast + Fire Blast/Flamethrower are TM moves, so there no problems with illegal moveset combinations when it goes to Exploud ;). At least when it goes to those moves (although you don't need others, he has exactly what he needs here).

I don't think you need Magnezone support though - your fire coverage move fry all Steel types which try to wall you after Fake Tears (except Empoleon and Heatran, but those don't enjoy taking Focus Blast at all), so Steels are not a problem at all. I would recommend going with Dual Screens, but... Defog ruins those as well, making those less viable (but Dual Screening should help alot anyway). The problem here is though that he needs really heavy support to work. But once he gets it - he should be rewarding ;).

I would recommend going with Dual Screens, but... Defog ruins those as well, making those less viable (but Dual Screening should help alot anyway). The problem here is though that he needs really heavy support to work. But once he gets it - he should be rewarding ;).
That's the problem, that he needs heavy support to truly shine. And while he now has alot of fire power, so do several other pokemon that need significantly less support to work. And it's why I believe he still won't make it past RU, MAYBE bottom UU, despite havin some niches. Still, he's undeniably cool, good ability, coverage, and .. he's a livin instrument! Shame his stats just aren't cut in for higher tiers.

I hatched a 31/31/31/31/31/31 Female Scrappy Exploud... but Hasty :(

Is a Hasty one usable?

Exploud @ Life Orb
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe (old analysis tweaked a bit)
Nature: Hasty
~ Boomburst
~ Fire Blast
~ Surf
~ Brick Break (waiting for a Low Kick move tutor, I guess)

:/

Exploud gets a buff in its SpA

Actually, it's in its SpD (63 to 73).

Last edited:
It's an Egg Move. And BTW he learns Boomburst as level-up move (at level 85) and Focus Blast + Fire Blast/Flamethrower are TM moves, so there no problems with illegal moveset combinations when it goes to Exploud ;). At least when it goes to those moves (although you don't need others, he has exactly what he needs here).

I don't think you need Magnezone support though - your fire coverage move fry all Steel types which try to wall you after Fake Tears (except Empoleon and Heatran, but those don't enjoy taking Focus Blast at all), so Steels are not a problem at all. I would recommend going with Dual Screens, but... Defog ruins those as well, making those less viable (but Dual Screening should help alot anyway). The problem here is though that he needs really heavy support to work. But once he gets it - he should be rewarding ;).
Ahh, ok. That's pretty cool then!

Yeah you do sort of need to build a team around him which is somewhat disappointing. Although the rewards of a set-up for Exploud might not be as high as some other sweepers / cleaners, he does pose a very notable threat and will more than likely take down at least one Pokemon if he has tailwind or dual screens up, which I'm pretty happy with.

I made an account just to ask this question.

I was playing a wi-fi battle and my dragonite was doing well until this guy brought out exploud and killed it with boom burst.

No matter, I'll stall and stop him from using it with a ghost type.

Nope! It still hits me and 2HKO. I thought it was a normal move and shouldn't be able to hit me? Am I missing something here?

Ugh. Duh.

Well, that is really strong. Almost swept me and pretty much sealed the win for the other guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)