Dragonite

I'm really liking Dragonite this gen! I also think he can serve a unique role in multi battles. It's just theorymon, and it looks noobish, but maybe it can work.

Doubles/Triples Nite
Dragonite @ Choice Scarf
Inner Focus
Jolly Nature, 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Free Fall
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch / Filler
- Thunderpunch / Earthquake / Superpower / Filler

The final two moves are really just to fit your partners' needs. The first two, however, are what make this set viable. Free Fall allows you to take one of the opponent's pokemon and disable it for a turn regardless of its type, and thanks to Inner Focus, Fake Out won't stop you. If used wisely, your partner(s) can have a hand-picked match up against your opponents. That Celebi threatening your Breloom? Before they can react, Celebi is hit with a super effective attack, and breloom nabs a KO on a Pokemon that expected Breloom to be dead. Etc., but it works with every enemy. Free Fall has 90 Base Power if neutral, which is nothing to scoff at, and Dragon Claw lets you take out threatening dragons like Ononkosu quickly thanks to choice scarf.

Choice scarf seems poor because being locked into Free Fall stinks, but you need the speed and can repeat the strategy later.

@ Multi Scale: I wish it was legal with Extremespeed for those anti-lead sets. But for bulky dragonite, it's great. DD + Roost = win.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
I already know "Multi Scale's" with the entry hazard buisness. I do also agree with you that There are far to many dragons to say dragonite wont be taking the sidelines but all those dragon's you mentioned cant do what dragonite does. I wouldn't be surprised if I saw dragonite on a few more teams than last gen anyway.

I played two battles with the thing. One time it swept away 4 of my pokes before finally going down to my Sazandora. (Yes I was playing very well before that thing came out. I was not prepared for that thing.) In another battle it only took about 30% damage from my subsplit gengar's shadow ball (Which I'm pretty sure was a bug so shouldnt count)

@lmitchell0012
I think the fact that you'd take 50% less damage from all attacks when at full health (and the fact that you can use this ability multiple times with roost) heavily HEAVILY outweight the negatives of multi scale.
I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this. Finding a time that this ability will actually work is extremely situational due to the prevalence of entry hazards (yes, you can roost away the damage, but during the turn that you roost up you are extremely vulnerable.

use dory 2 clear away stealth rock. since most pokes expect him to sd and none of the ghost can really take a sd earthquake besides the tomb guy(who cnt do anything back anyways) they will be running to something tht can take the eq. so spinning seems to have gotten easier. and dragonite does act as a good revenge killer with Extreme speed, something the other dragons CANT DO! i cnt tell u how many times tth move saved me from dragon dancers

As far as who's the better Weather Dragon now, while Kingdra has the neutrality to SR & Ice moves, Dragonite has all the Rain-abusing moves Kingdra would kill for (Aqua Jet, Gale, Thunder), as well as far better stats (barring Speed in Rain) & support moves; and that's not counting its new DW toy. Oh, and E-Speed's stupidly good priority.

This is all more than enough to get my favorite Dragon out of that hole it's been in for the last 2 gens, on top of all the other niches it's had. I'm going to have fun testing RainNite once Spring rolls around.

I'm thinking of E-Speed / Gale / Thunder, but with so many other moves, it'll be a while before I come up with what to stick in the fourth slot. At least I can have E-Speed AND Multi-Scale at the same time, which is fucking sweet. ^_^

Just throwing this out there, but you could, theoretically speaking, run them both on the same team.
DOUBLE DRAGON

On a more serious note, Politoed and Draggy get fairly decent defensive synergy with each other - the only uncovered weakness is Rock (Electric is generally special, and Dragonite's excellent SpD balances that out, plus Roost). I can see RainDragon getting fairly common.

KK, I'ma run this in my rain team:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Multi-Scale
Modest 252 Sp. Atk xxx Spe xxx HP
- Agility
- Hurricane
- Surf
- Rest

let's go.

EDIT:
(16:52:29) +RankingBot: Your rank in Dream World is 12/1419!

Nite's been nothing but impressive. He smacks Nattorei for 45%. Luv it.

Battle between and GravityZero started!

Tier: Dream World
Variation: +5, -26
Rule: Rated
Rule: Sleep Clause
Rule: Freeze Clause
Rule: Species Clause

GravityZero sent out King! (Politoed)
sent out Shandera!
King's Drizzle made it rain!

Start of turn 1
The foe's Shandera used Dark Pulse!
King lost 153 HP! (39% of its health)

King used Boil Over!
The foe's Shandera lost 75% of its health!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 2
GravityZero called King back!
GravityZero sent out Breloom!

The foe's Zoroaaku used Dark Pulse!
It's not very effective...
Breloom lost 118 HP! (43% of its health)

Rain continues to fall!
Breloom restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 3
Breloom used Mach Punch!
It's super effective!
The foe's Zoroaaku lost 24% of its health!
The foe's Zoroaaku fainted!

Rain continues to fall!
sent out Kojondo!

Start of turn 4
The foe's Kojondo used Fake Out!
Breloom lost 62 HP! (22% of its health)

Breloom flinched!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 5
Breloom used Mach Punch!
The foe's Kojondo lost 63% of its health!

The foe's Kojondo used Hi Jump Kick!
Breloom lost 143 HP! (52% of its health)
Breloom fainted!

Rain continues to fall!
GravityZero sent out Dragonite!

Start of turn 6
called Kojondo back!
sent out Shandera!
The foe's Shandera is floating on a balloon!

Dragonite used Agility!
Dragonite's Speed sharply rose!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 7
Dragonite used Surf!
It's super effective!
The foe's Shandera lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Shandera fainted!

Rain continues to fall!
sent out Aakeosu!

Start of turn 8
The foe's Aakeosu used Rock Slide!
It's super effective!
Dragonite lost 146 HP! (43% of its health)

Dragonite used Surf!
It's super effective!
The foe's Aakeosu lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Aakeosu fainted!

Rain continues to fall!
siburke939 sent out Agirudaa!

Start of turn 9
Dragonite used Hurricane!
It's super effective!
The foe's Agirudaa lost 100% of its health!
The foe's Agirudaa fainted!

Rain continues to fall!
sent out Doryuuzu!

The foe's Doryuuzu has Mold Breaker!

Start of turn 10
Dragonite used Surf!
It's super effective!
The foe's Doryuuzu lost 67% of its health!

The foe's Doryuuzu used X-Scissor!
It's not very effective...
Dragonite lost 43 HP! (12% of its health)

Rain continues to fall!
The foe's Doryuuzu restored a little HP using its Leftovers!

Start of turn 11
Dragonite used Surf!
It's super effective!
The foe's Doryuuzu lost 38% of its health!
The foe's Doryuuzu fainted!

Rain continues to fall!
sent out Kojondo!

Start of turn 12
The foe's Kojondo used Fake Out!
Dragonite lost 60 HP! (18% of its health)

Dragonite flinched!

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 13
Dragonite used Rest!
Dragonite went to sleep and became healthy!
Dragonite ate its Chesto Berry!
Dragonite woke up!

The foe's Kojondo used Rock Slide!
It's super effective!
Dragonite lost 110 HP! (33% of its health)

Rain continues to fall!

Start of turn 14
Dragonite used Hurricane!
It's super effective!
The foe's Kojondo lost 30% of its health!
The foe's Kojondo fainted!

GravityZero won the battle!

Holy crap is that godlike! After one agility, plus rain to boost Surf (does it effect hurricane as well?) it was practically a phenominal sweep. The chesto rest combo was also nice, but im curious as to what might be a effective check to it. Either way, that's some good outcomes!

Dragonite is one of my favorite Pokemon ever. He has so many fun new toys, and great options. I just can't help but feel like in a lot of cases he really suffers from "4 Moveslot Syndrome". Like, the Roost-DD set is great, but other than Dragon Claw it's annoying to choose between Earthquake/Fire Punch for coverage or Extremespeed for beating revengers. But then if you drop Roost you kind of miss out on Multiscale's goodness.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Multiscale
EVs TBD, but obviously emphasis on ATK, HP, and SPE
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake/Fire Punch
-Extremespeed

This is a set I'm considering running. You get the coverage of a standard dancer but ES allows you to beat incoming revenge killers now that it has +2 priority (take that Ice Shard!). Leftovers gives you a chance at going back to full health if you're on enough of a roll, and Multiscale is better than Inner Focus regardless.

Holy crap is that godlike! After one agility, plus rain to boost Surf (does it effect hurricane as well?) it was practically a phenominal sweep. The chesto rest combo was also nice, but im curious as to what might be a effective check to it. Either way, that's some good outcomes!
Yeah RainyNite (tm - lol) is sexy. I've never been left wanting for another move, and I outspeed ScarfChomp after a agility (really should aim for the latis though).

Over Rest, Draco Meteor's an option for nailing other dragons.

I haven't been successful with dragonite on a rain team.
It's probably just me so I guess I will give a few more tries but so far I've found kingdra to be a better option over nite for the sweeper spot on a rd team.

Normally "Hurricane" (aka Gale/Windstorm/ect...) has 70% accuracy, Rain makes it 100%.
That is indeed excellent then. Thanks for clarifiying that for me.

Yeah RainyNite (tm - lol) is sexy. I've never been left wanting for another move, and I outspeed ScarfChomp after a agility (really should aim for the latis though).

Over Rest, Draco Meteor's an option for nailing other dragons
IMO, it is indeed sexy (lol, the pun is pretty hilarious as well). Outspeeding Chomp, and possibly Latias just made me want to RainyNite. Seems like it'll be amazing.​

That is indeed excellent then. Thanks for clarifiying that for me.

IMO, it is indeed sexy (lol, the pun is pretty hilarious as well). Outspeeding Chomp, and possibly Latias just made me want to RainyNite. Seems like it'll be amazing.​
which set have you been using?
I've just been unsuccessful at it that's all :(

I'm currently looking at Gravity's set above, which I'll probably tweak around with some of the things he mentioned. IMO, it seems rather strong, and will couple well with Drizzletoad.

How about using aqua jet? has anyone tried using this with CB or dd under rain?
I'm thinkin about DD, but that'll be a more mixed set like Wide Lens / DD / DRush / Aqua Tail / Thunder(?) or ES and it'd never run Aqua Jet. I prefer ES's +2 priority and Dragon-neutrality if i need to hit a scarf.

Speaking of Aqua Jet, I need to start using Azumarill and Flareon

DD sounds nice under rain, but Im liking the way Agility is looking more.

DD can probably work around with some combination of water/dragon coverage, and ES or Gale/Thunder, IMO. ES sounds much more reliable in that case though.

I found that Sazando and Dragonite are very good partners (from my time on PO.)
Sazando and Dnite both despise the Ice and type, as to be expected. However, Sazando REALLY hates the Fighting type, whereas Dragonite can come in on pokemon like Kojondo / Ropushin / etc. and set up on them.

I noticed they work best together as Revenge killers. Sazando and Dnite hit like monsters from both sides of the spectrum. DNite's Multi-Scale lets him absorb a shit-ton of damage, essentially making Dragon and Rock attacks neutral, Ice attacks x2, and 14 types -2. This is very impressive, and is absolutely insane when used in tandem with Sazando's U-Turn.

If you partner Dragonite with Starmie, then Multi Scale is basically an automatic Resist Berry, which is pretty cool, though you can't forgo Leftovers due to Tyranitar's Sandstorm.

EDIT: Let me get this straight: if Dragonite goes first, and Roosts itself back to full health, then an incoming attack will do half the damage? That is awesome, especially since Roost itself halves damage from Ice-type attacks. Basically, you see Dragonite setting up on dudes like Swampert.

i just used Draonite under the rain and it was pretty effective for me.
my set looked like this:

dragonite@no item( i forgot to put it on lol)
mild nature
196 def/ 168 spattk/144spdef(don't know how good the evs are. i wanted some bulk and my special attack to hit 300 or above

-aqua jet
-hurricane
-outrage
-dragon dance

i got pretty good mileage out of it . it took out 2 or three of my opponents pokemon.

I've been using this on PO and it's EPIC. Possibly the best shuffler I've used in any generation. Dragon Tail was made for Dragonite:

Dragonite @ Leftovers
ability: Multi-Scale
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD, Sassy nature

Dragon Tail
Roost
Earthquake
Fire Blast / filler

With entry hazards up, (especially Toxic Spikes) this guy can stall like crazy. Keep Roosting until they fall, since Multiscale allows Dragonite to tank moves and stay healthy enough to Roost back up to full health. This can be very hard to budge if you can Roost on your opponent's switch to a counter. Dragonite survives most Draco Meteors and even some Outrages when protected by Multi-scale and does huge damage back to dragons with Dragon Tail.

I haven't tried any filler moves, but I can see many things working, including Toxic, Thunder Wave (if no T-spikes), Heal Bell, or Reflect.

yea multi scale acts as a built in dual screen. offensive nite (4hp/0 def evs) takes abt 50%or less frm jolly life orbed mence's outrage so a bulky nite definately survives and can strike back and KO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)