Doubles Overview, Benchmarks, and Q&A Thread—Read before asking!

13ulbasaur

* It seems to be nervous about fighting.
is an Artist Alumnus
Okay now I have a question about Aegislash. What would be a good Nature for Wide Guard Aegislash? (I felt like Sassy was a good bet since between King's Shield, Shadow Sneak and the fact that the tiers are more varied in Doubles, I think that the speed was not that importaint)
Typically, unless you are really EVing to survive something specific, it is a better idea to go for a more offensive nature that boosts it's Special Attack (or attack if you are using Physical Attacks I guess, but special attacks are better outside of Sneak) because Aegislash wants to be able to deal lots of damage. So Quiet or Modest is a good idea.

Okay in a related question (though for Triple Battles) is an Aegislash on one end using Wide Guard, can it defend the pokemon on the other end (I ask because I want A strategy that focus one moves that hits more than one pokemon and Wide Guard can remove the risk of using earthquake (especialy since both Aegislash and another Pokemon I'm considering using [an electric type and Diancie] are both weak to Ground)

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay in a related question (though for Triple Battles) is an Aegislash on one end using Wide Guard, can it defend the pokemon on the other end (I ask because I want A strategy that focus one moves that hits more than one pokemon and Wide Guard can remove the risk of using earthquake (especialy since both Aegislash and another Pokemon I'm considering using [an electric type and Diancie] are both weak to Ground)
i just tested this, you can view the replay here. wide guard protects all of your teammates, even if the user is on the side.

Hey guys, Im working on a super doubles team that starts with a dual screen klefkey with swagger, and an unburden hawlucha with a persim berry. The trouble is I cant think of two other pokes to go with them. The best I have come up with is full offence charizard x and a bulky varient of rottom wash but I can't help but think that there is something better. any suggestions?

everyone is telling me to go somewhere else. I can't help but think that this reflects on how the forum is laid out. thanks for redirecting me.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
everyone is telling me to go somewhere else. I can't help but think that this reflects on how the forum is laid out. thanks for redirecting me.
I think the forum named "Doubles OU" is a pretty clear indicator that this forum is for Doubles OU and not for Battle Spot Doubles (a format where you still need to have a party of six).

EDIT @below: well fuck me

Last edited:
I agree that the name is clear but the fact that 2 mods sent me to the wrong place before I found the right thread means that there is some confusion even among those who are adept at navigating the forums.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I agree that the name is clear but the fact that 2 mods sent me to the wrong place before I found the right thread means that there is some confusion even among those who are adept at navigating the forums.
I just failed to read the "super doubles" part at first; had I read that I probably would have been a lot more useful :(

How do you think Hoopa(both forms), specifically talking, Hyperspace Fury and Hyperspace Hole, will affect the metagame? Is it safe to use Protect on Pokemon that are slower than Hoopa?

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
How do you think Hoopa(both forms), specifically talking, Hyperspace Fury and Hyperspace Hole, will affect the metagame? Is it safe to use Protect on Pokemon that are slower than Hoopa?
to answer your question, it doesnt matter the speed of the pokemon thats using protect because protect has +4 priority. however, this thread is more for answering and asking simple questions, not for discussion about the metagame. if you want to discuss the metagame with the introduction of hoopa, you can join in on the discussion in the np thread or the doubles room on ps.

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
Why is everyone using zapdos>togekiss on their sun teams? just kinda confused. would like an answer since I literally can't understand anything not tr ever since skymin ban

is it just the better talon matchup? I feel like togekiss' talon mu is pretty good too but idk

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Why is everyone using zapdos>togekiss on their sun teams? just kinda confused. would like an answer since I literally can't understand anything not tr ever since skymin ban

is it just the better talon matchup? I feel like togekiss' talon mu is pretty good too but idk
Better against talon, thund, and can break heatrans sub

All of the above are threats to sun

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
check I think Thundy could fulfill a similar role, but Zapdos' access to Heat Wave and superior bulk make it usually a better choice, especially since the role we're talking about is primarily as a check to Talon and Thundy.

kamikaze

The King Of Games
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Could thundurus fill a similar role?
Yes. It mainly comes down to player preference or what works better for the team.

Tailwind vs prankster thunder wave is the obvious one.

Also zapdos has roost which allows it to stick around longer than thundurus would, but on some sun teams it may actually be better for your electric/flying type to faint quicker to keep momentum going with a safe switch. Try them both and figure out which play style is better for the team.

oh and let's not forget that thund can be ran offensively with flash cannon to outspeed and ohko diancie to help zard, something zap can't do

Last edited:

Checkmater

It’s just us kittens left, and the rain is coming
is a Tiering Contributor
is darkrai diancie a good core idk

also if so I'm probably going to build around it later today if anyone wants to join in

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)