Pokémon Deoxys-Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember a Life Orb Deo-D set with enough Special Attack and a specific Hidden Power to beat certain 4X weak Pokemon that either like to switch in on Deo-D or are troubling for the whole team. I guess it can be called a gimmick, but when it needs to work, it works.

Lol I never got that intent to surprise people, but when Genesect dropped in OU and everyone and their mom ran a Scarfed lead set, most of the time specially based, I looked up potential counter-leads to it and found out that Jirachi outspeeds by 1 base point, kills with fire punch.

Jirachi trollin' Genesect. Swear, the 600 BST, 100 in each stat "legendaries" always get reasons to come back.

Man I really hope defence stays in UU or OU. It's one of my favourite pokemon and I really don't think there's any reason to ban this gen, it might be too good for UU (not sure) but it's checked, countered and outclassed hard in OU.

Man I really hope defence stays in UU or OU. It's one of my favourite pokemon and I really don't think there's any reason to ban this gen, it might be too good for UU (not sure) but it's checked, countered and outclassed hard in OU.
Deoxys-D is the only pokemon I never leave out when making a team. It always manage to fullfill its roll every match I sends it in. Sure it's checked by some things in this metagame, but outclassed, no no it's not. Try to outclass Deoxys-D with it's reliablility to always lay down SR or Spikes every match more then just one time per match. It can also take a lot of hits and either stall out there PP or use Thunder wave to cripple there sweepers. But I don't really see this thing getting banned in the near future so let's not talk about it.

Also welcome to Smogon.

Deoxys-D is the only pokemon I never leave out when making a team. It always manage to fullfill its roll every match I sends it in. Sure it's checked by some things in this metagame, but outclassed, no no it's not. Try to outclass Deoxys-D with it's reliablility to always lay down SR or Spikes every match more then just one time per match. It can also take a lot of hits and either stall out there PP or use Thunder wave to cripple there sweepers. But I don't really see this thing getting banned in the near future so let's not talk about it.

Also welcome to Smogon.
Perhaps outclassed was the wrong word, I mean yes it does its job well but in generation 6 (especially in OU) there are plenty of pokemon to take it quickly despite its defences, and plenty of pokemon to rid the field of hazards after it has gone. (Excadrill can do both itself). I prefer to run with agility and toxic because of that. There's also things espeon and mega absol to magic bounce and of course taunt which renders it useless if you're not carrying magic coat or if you are but predict wrong, or even a prankster taunt from thundurus-I... but I agree, outclassed was the wrong word as in terms of reliably setting hazards it's damn good.Thanks btw :). I always come here for movesets and general info on pokemon but I never bothered to sign up until now. :P

Perhaps outclassed was the wrong word, I mean yes it does its job well but in generation 6 (especially in OU) there are plenty of pokemon to take it quickly despite its defences, and plenty of pokemon to rid the field of hazards after it has gone. (Excadrill can do both itself). I prefer to run with agility and toxic because of that. There's also things espeon and mega absol to magic bounce and of course taunt which renders it useless if you're not carrying magic coat or if you are but predict wrong, or even a prankster taunt from thundurus-I... but I agree, outclassed was the wrong word as in terms of reliably setting hazards it's damn good.Thanks btw :). I always come here for movesets and general info on pokemon but I never bothered to sign up until now. :P
Well we can both agree on outclassed was the wrong word. But I can also agree with you, that there are more things that can threaten Deoxys-D now then before. As it comes to Magic Bouncers and Pranksters with Taunt I've always had a way to play around them with my team but they will almost stop you cold from performing your job so I've never stayed in on them. Well the same can be said about Excadrill so I'll give you credit for those points.
I've tried the Agility + Toxic set but it didn't really fit my style, glad someone else can use it well.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
With Gene gone Deo-D needs to be getting a lot more discussion.

This thing is the bringer of toxic metas with incredibly good and braindead HO (it's way better at doing this than Deo-S, by miles), and at some point enough people will start using this on the ladder for this effect to really sink in. Most teams that steamroll the meta with Deo-D HO have a huge amount of difficulty with Gene, a difficulty now gone.

BIG PLAYERS OF HO:

Basically, Deo-D can get a twave off + 2-3 layers of hazards up on the field without any sort of issue, giving room for all the big hitters in the meta to just smash their way through teams without much effort. A defiant user and a ghost round off the big hitters to keep your hazards either in play or severely punishing the opponent for getting them off. The teams have staples like Specs Keldeo, Sub LO Terrakion, CM/RP Landorus, Mix Defiant Thundy, SD Mawile, and LO Latios to rip holes in the opposing team while all of them already being incredibly difficult to switch into already, with hazards and a check to one of these mons being Para'd making it even worse. It doesn't help that just about every anti-lead in the book for Deoxys is usually set-up bait or simply eradicated by another HO staple, and the most reliable anti Deo-D Anti-Lead, Ebelt Bug Buzz Gene, vanishing from the game completely.

Welcome to a world without Genesect, folks. There is no light at the end of the tunnel to be found here.

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Let's see if people start catching up and use Mega Heracross more, which OHKOes Deo-D (even max HP / max Def+ spreads) with Pin Missile.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
LO Aegislash is also a good answer to him, since it has a 50% chance of OHKOing Deoxys-D with Shadow Ball, effectively limiting him to one hazard.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Those two are definitely good answers to Deo-D, I particularly see LO Aegis used quite often as an anti-lead against Deo-D. LO Bisharp and CB Tar make good choices as well, with a 81/75% chance to OHKO 252/4 Deo-D respectively. Having something capable of removing Deo-D is very important to prevent hazard stacking, and it causes a lot of mindgames when choosing leads - you might force your opponent to save Deo-D for later in the match fearing your anti-lead! Don't forget about fast Taunt users as well.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Fast Taunt users don't cut it, as any good Deo-D player will have Mental Herb or Magic Coat.
They might even have both, just to have the best matchup as possible against opposing Deoxys-D.

Another counter that still exists is Excadrill; he can Rapid Spin in Deoxys' face until the cows come home.

Let's see if people start catching up and use Mega Heracross more, which OHKOes Deo-D (even max HP / max Def+ spreads) with Pin Missile.
Yeah, I was actually very surprised by this while playing for the suspect test. I had a Mega Heracross team and every single person using HO on the ladder would leave Deo-D against it just be KO'd by a completely obvious Pin Missile. I have no idea why they wouldn't just switch out and setup hazards later, when they could get more layers up.

They might even have both, just to have the best matchup as possible against opposing Deoxys-D.

Another counter that still exists is Excadrill; he can Rapid Spin in Deoxys' face until the cows come home.
Red card Deo-D can force out Exca and get 1 layer of hazards up while Exca comes back in, and the next rapid spin can be spin blocked by Aegislash (probably holding an air balloon).

I agree that this thing is worse for the meta game than Gene ever was. I steamrolled my way to the top 5 with an HO team and the star of the team is always Deo-D for making it so easy to get extra KOs with those hazards.

Yeah, I was actually very surprised by this while playing for the suspect test. I had a Mega Heracross team and every single person using HO on the ladder would leave Deo-D against it just be KO'd by a completely obvious Pin Missile. I have no idea why they wouldn't just switch out and setup hazards later, when they could get more layers up.
Nothing on HO really wants to switch into a pin missile from Hera, so if Deo-D is alrdy out there you might as well let him die. 1 layer of hazards is plenty if you're running M Pinsir, who can force out hera on the second turn and start weakening his checks and paving the way for a sweep.

Last edited by a moderator:
I threw together a Mega-Pinsir HO team willy-nilly, and knowing that Deoxys-D is the premier hazard setter for teams like this was enough for me to be successful with it without putting much effort into picking the other members.

Nothing on HO really wants to switch into a pin missile from Hera, so if Deo-D is alrdy out there you might as well let him die. 1 layer of hazards is plenty if you're running M Pinsir, who can force out hera on the second turn and start weakening his checks and paving the way for a sweep.
Yeah, but why not use some non-Deoxys-D lead against the obvious incoming Mega Heracross lead? That's what stumps me. But of course, if they want to get away with only one layer of hazards, then be my guest.

Yeah, but why not use some non-Deoxys-D lead against the obvious incoming Mega Heracross lead? That's what stumps me. But of course, if they want to get away with only one layer of hazards, then be my guest.
It's not always obvious for the other player. Maybe you have a Thundurus or your own hazard user or something else that's viable as a lead.

I think its pretty clear now that Red Card is the item of choice on Deoxys-D now. The threats that the Rocky Helmet and Life Orb + 2 attacks sets covered last gen aren't present anymore in this metagame i.e. Rapid Spinners outside of Excadrill. So there isn't a need to run those two items. So you got Mental Herb vs Red Card. IMO Red Card wins out because it beats both Pokemon trying to remove you from the field by KO'ing you and it prevents you being setup bait for opposing sweepers. If you play your cards right, it can also let you get up at least SR against teams with an Excadrill too. Mental Herb let's you beat opposing leads with Taunt, but the same can be done with a moveslot in Magic Coat. Red Card covers threats that your two moveslots can not do. The majority of teams don't carry a Taunt user that are faster than Deoxys-D, but plenty do have Pokemon that are capable of 2HKO'ing while being faster. Aegislash is a good example, it can hit Deoxys-D with Shadow Ball and then finish it off with Shadow Sneak.

Even though Bisharp is the best teammate of DD ( Deosharp core), note that he can also be a major threat with Knock Off. It does a 84/85% chance of OHKO, getting only one layer of hazards.
Morevover, i've found that Aegislash@Air Ballon is a decent partner to surprise spinners like Excadrill. 0Atk Sacred Sword + Shadow sneak = 102.3 - 121.2%

Hey, I'm trying to run a good Deo-D set for my team but I am having trouble coming up with a fourth move for it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me?

The set is supposed to be a bulky pivot/annoyer. What I have so far is:

Deoxys D w/ Leftovers
Pressure
-AT, + SpD. 252HP, 100 DF, 158 SpD

- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Knock off
- ????

Some moves I have already tried are Thunder Wave, Magic Coat and Taunt. Thunder wave seems to be the best bet, and I've read all around this thread proclaiming the superiority of magic coat... but I didn't even use it once during it's time as a moveslot.

Any suggestions, as well as natures and EV's are welcome.

Hey, I'm trying to run a good Deo-D set for my team but I am having trouble coming up with a fourth move for it. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for me?

The set is supposed to be a bulky pivot/annoyer. What I have so far is:

Deoxys D w/ Leftovers
Pressure
-AT, + SpD. 252HP, 100 DF, 158 SpD

- Stealth Rock
- Recover
- Knock off
- ????

Some moves I have already tried are Thunder Wave, Magic Coat and Taunt. Thunder wave seems to be the best bet, and I've read all around this thread proclaiming the superiority of magic coat... but I didn't even use it once during it's time as a moveslot.

Any suggestions, as well as natures and EV's are welcome.
This entire thread is about Hazard Lead Deo-D in which case Magic Coat is superior because most Anti-Leads carry Taunt and hazards of their own.However,since you are planning to use a set like this (which I have never used because I don't know what sort of team can actually benefit from this set),Thunder Wave is the superior option because Paralysis is more useful than not being Taunted.

Also,please explain why your EVs are like that other than "to make it all around bulky".

The only thing Deo-D needs to to really be alive 'n kicking is if it can learn Sticky Web and Defog in Pokemon Z/XY2... And maybe a little Spore couldn't hurt.

Last edited:
With Gene gone Deo-D needs to be getting a lot more discussion.

This thing is the bringer of toxic metas with incredibly good and braindead HO (it's way better at doing this than Deo-S, by miles), and at some point enough people will start using this on the ladder for this effect to really sink in. Most teams that steamroll the meta with Deo-D HO have a huge amount of difficulty with Gene, a difficulty now gone.

BIG PLAYERS OF HO:

Basically, Deo-D can get a twave off + 2-3 layers of hazards up on the field without any sort of issue, giving room for all the big hitters in the meta to just smash their way through teams without much effort. A defiant user and a ghost round off the big hitters to keep your hazards either in play or severely punishing the opponent for getting them off. The teams have staples like Specs Keldeo, Sub LO Terrakion, CM/RP Landorus, Mix Defiant Thundy, SD Mawile, and LO Latios to rip holes in the opposing team while all of them already being incredibly difficult to switch into already, with hazards and a check to one of these mons being Para'd making it even worse. It doesn't help that just about every anti-lead in the book for Deoxys is usually set-up bait or simply eradicated by another HO staple, and the most reliable anti Deo-D Anti-Lead, Ebelt Bug Buzz Gene, vanishing from the game completely.

Welcome to a world without Genesect, folks. There is no light at the end of the tunnel to be found here.

As soon as you get relatively high up on the ladder (1600-1700 range) hyper offense like this, especially Deoxys-D/Bisharp core is everywhere. Really hard to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)