Pokémon Delphox

Status
Not open for further replies.
LO/Specs/Scarf+Blaze is still quite a valid set. It's just done a bit better by the other Fire-types in UU. But it still hits pretty darn hard.
No, tried Scarf and got my-self cornered. Power Herb is something I thought about. But magician.... eeeh... It seams risky. Toxic Orb Gliscors then fooling yourself. I think I might just stick with the old fashioned way and go with a Sitrus Berry or something original.

No, tried Scarf and got my-self cornered. Power Herb is something I thought about. But magician.... eeeh... It seams risky. Toxic Orb Gliscors then fooling yourself. I think I might just stick with the old fashioned way and go with a Sitrus Berry or something original.
lol Sitrus Berry.

You're expecting Delphox to take a hit. I suppose it can take Grass Knots? But otherwise it's not taking any hits anytime soon. Also you can play around the Toxic Orb, since Gliscor is not switching in on you in fear of a Specs/LO Fire Blast, which will roast it. Black Sludge isn't a risk either because unless you're an idiot you're not switching a Poison-type into Delphox.

Switcheroo+Flame Orb is nice for shenanigans with opponents' items, but Will-O-Wisp generally has more utility.

Scarf is no good in OU because literally half the tier shits on Delphox hard, especially Aegislash, Tyranitar, Greninja, Talonflame, Goodra, and...do I need to keep listing stuff? It could be nice in lower tiers once they come out though. And quite honestly Delphox is not good in OU.

lol Sitrus Berry.

You're expecting Delphox to take a hit. I suppose it can take Grass Knots? But otherwise it's not taking any hits anytime soon. Also you can play around the Toxic Orb, since Gliscor is not switching in on you in fear of a Specs/LO Fire Blast, which will roast it. Black Sludge isn't a risk either because unless you're an idiot you're not switching a Poison-type into Delphox.

Switcheroo+Flame Orb is nice for shenanigans with opponents' items, but Will-O-Wisp generally has more utility.

Scarf is no good in OU because literally half the tier shits on Delphox hard, especially Aegislash, Tyranitar, Greninja, Talonflame, Goodra, and...do I need to keep listing stuff? It could be nice in lower tiers once they come out though. And quite honestly Delphox is not good in OU.
Yeah, delphox is fast enough on it's own and can't really take physicals. I don't really know why Calm Mind is needed apart from the Sp.A boost and the fact that Calm Mind can be avoided by Physicals. I think replacing it with WoW would be a good idea. LO might work, slowly sweeping til it activates blaze but may be unreliable tho and could backfire like with the Bullet Punch Band Scizor you told me about.

a sitrus berry is more useful than a power herb. I don't know why people are even thinking that is remotely close to a good idea. you get ONE solar beam, then you have 3 move slots. or you could just use grass knot with a life orb and blaze and do the same amount of damage without sacrificing your 4th move slot.

also delphox came in at 2% usage prepoke bank and much lower post so it's probably heading to ru or nu, since right now it has the shiny new toy gleam.

a sitrus berry is more useful than a power herb. I don't know why people are even thinking that is remotely close to a good idea. you get ONE solar beam, then you have 3 move slots. or you could just use grass knot with a life orb and blaze and do the same amount of damage without sacrificing your 4th move slot.

also delphox came in at 2% usage prepoke bank and much lower post so it's probably heading to ru or nu, since right now it has the shiny new toy gleam.
Sitrus Berry will not activate against a foe like Tyranitar or Aegislash. At all. Also with the Power Herb, YOU choose when to consume it, and it is quite good at surprising bulky Water-types. Obviously you're not wasting it on an obvious Talonflame switch-in. That's really important since you can time when to steal an item, and stealing a Choice Scarf can take away the main advantage of an enemy mon.

I don't even know why anyone is discussing Sitrus Berry. Period. It's a bad choice in NU if Delphox ends up there.

Sitrus Berry will not activate against a foe like Tyranitar or Aegislash. At all. Also with the Power Herb, YOU choose when to consume it, and it is quite good at surprising bulky Water-types. Obviously you're not wasting it on an obvious Talonflame switch-in. That's really important since you can time when to steal an item, and stealing a Choice Scarf can take away the main advantage of an enemy mon.
You sound pretty right on their. But I like to use WilloWisp for setup on pokemon that take forever to defeat and Aegislash is one of them. I might reconsider though. But what would be the chances of getting choiced through Magician?

Has anyone considered the Kee or Maranga Berry? All you have to do is switch in to the right kind of attack, regardless of strength or effectiveness.

Has anyone considered the Kee or Maranga Berry? All you have to do is switch in to the right kind of attack, regardless of strength or effectiveness.
To be honest, these berries are pretty rubbish with Delphox's lack of reliable recover to make that extra bulk mean much, especially since things he can switch in on are looking a bit scarce this generation. Factor in things like hazard damage and yeah, that Berry is really looking lack luster right now.

To be honest, these berries are pretty rubbish with Delphox's lack of reliable recover to make that extra bulk mean much, especially since things he can switch in on are looking a bit scarce this generation. Factor in things like hazard damage and yeah, that Berry is really looking lack luster right now.
Wish counts I guess. But Delphox's typing is simply atrocious defensively, and it's really difficult to use it defensively outside of spreading Burns.

Wish counts I guess. But Delphox's typing is simply atrocious defensively, and it's really difficult to use it defensively outside of spreading Burns.
Its not atrocious in general, just dreadful for the current Metagame. Rocks weakness, afraid of Pursuit, Weakness to Shadow Sneak and Aqua Jet, and afraid of all the Ghosts and Water types around lately along with Assault Vest Tyranitar. It would have been fantastic in Gen 4 and maybe even Gen 5 but with the current set up? Nah. It does have the stats for UU depending on what happens to be there this generation. Shame really, I enjoy using it a ton but yeah overall, its best bet is niche sun teams at best, which are at a major low lately. Ah well its at least pretty decent in Wifi 3vs3, though for now OU is just unlikely. At least as more than a choice for a certain niche.

Delphox is better off running a choice set with blaze, as it's stats are that of a fast attacker, yet it has no way other than calm mind to boost it's stat. Even then, it's easily revenge killed. Victini will be serious competition as it runs choice sets, however are physically oriented. A sub calm mind set might work. A solid counter to most if not all would be azumaril, which will have to be dealt with. That being said, a suggested team mate would be dry skin heliolisk or something like that. The problem is special walls, which delphox may not be able to power through.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
So Nintendo tiers, yes, but I've been using Delphox battling against players on the cartridge and I feel it has two real viable sets: Specs and support. You can do a lot worse than 75/72/100 defenses but as mentioned its unfortunate typing cannot be overstated when it's weak to some of the most common priority. You will rarely find opportunities to get a CM up, if you are lucky enough to get it on the field in one piece. I would say that it will replace whatever void Charizard left in the lower tiers for strong, fast, special attacking Fire type; in fact, Delphox may be slightly superior due to better SpD & Speed and no 4x weaknesses. Psyshock is arguably a better and stronger source of secondary STAB than Air Slash and it gets some interesting support options.

114 SpA is nice enough to make use of Specs. As mentioned, Psychic STAB is better than what most Fire types in the lower tiers offer and its movepool isn't too shallow. I've been running Flamethrower / Psyshock / Grass Knot / Shadow Ball for decent coverage (I play on the cart so too lazy for HP). I've been lucky that no one has been using Houndoom in lieu of flashier Megas. I guess Scarf could be nice too but it really needs the power for something that just cannot set up.

Wish and WoW are a pretty potent combination, especially since WoW's accuracy was buffed. I actually feel pretty bad that Delphox has supplanted one of the few things Flareon could do. On a support set, Mystical Fire is viable as an attacking move to cripple Pokemon who would otherwise spit on WoW (though admittedly some carry Flash Fire).

Also Magician is a pretty gimmicky ability, if not worthless. You need to be itemless for it to even work, but why lose a potential OHKO that Specs or even LO offer? Why steal an item when you can cripple or kill that Pokemon instead? Even support sets could use Leftovers or a resist berry.

you could say the same thing about power herb+solar beam since it already has a grass move. on pretty much everything you are wasting your 4th skill slot, and making your item less reliable than just using a life orb for a paltry 30 bp on one move, once. a power herb is easily worse than a sitrius berry.

support delphox has a lot of competition with gardevoir who has the same move set(wow+wish), and better typing. but if they end up in different tiers that could be the set for delphox since wow is a really nice move in gen 6.

Even support sets could use Leftovers or a resist berry.
magician works with a resist berry so that's one reason. you could also be running switcheroo since it's a support set which would allow you do something to flash fire types like houndoom or heatran.

you could say the same thing about power herb+solar beam since it already has a grass move. on pretty much everything you are wasting your 4th skill slot, and making your item less reliable than just using a life orb for a paltry 30 bp on one move, once. a power herb is easily worse than a sitrius berry.
Actually, life orb is a 1.3x damage multiplier. This is a significant power boost; if Delphox attacks three times with a life orb equipped, it's essentially attacking four times in three turns.
For instance, take the following damage calculation of an infernape's fire blast vs. a Porygon2:
- Without item: 42.78-50.53%
- If life orb gave 30 base power increase: 53.21-62.83%
- Actually with Life Orb: 55.61-65.78%

Additionally, if we're looking at consumable items for delphox, we could maybe consider a weakness policy; Delphox would be interesting with the boost + the ability to steal items.

magician works with a resist berry so that's one reason. you could also be running switcheroo since it's a support set which would allow you do something to flash fire types like houndoom or heatran.
Switcheroo is just a clone of trick; while they gain your item, you also gain theirs, so Switcheroo doesn't actually help activate magician at all (unless they happen to be running a consumable item- or no item- in which case it could activate, but would still be extremely situational).

I'm just going to post Choice Band Delphox:
Delphox @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Will-O-Wisp
This set appears odd, but it really cripples things like Blissey and Vaporeon attempting to wall Delphox. It has to Switcheroo, as it doesn't make any use of Choice Band and it shouldn't. Will-O-Wisp is to cripple Physical attackers after the Choice Band, essentially leaving the opponent with a Crippled Pokemon locked into one weak move. Fire Blast and Psychock are just mandatory STAB moves.

I'm just going to post Choice Band Delphox:
Delphox @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Switcheroo
- Fire Blast
- Psyshock
- Will-O-Wisp
This set appears odd, but it really cripples things like Blissey and Vaporeon attempting to wall Delphox. It has to Switcheroo, as it doesn't make any use of Choice Band and it shouldn't. Will-O-Wisp is to cripple Physical attackers after the Choice Band, essentially leaving the opponent with a Crippled Pokemon locked into one weak move. Fire Blast and Psychock are just mandatory STAB moves.
Considering Blissey and Vaporeon are both support Pokemon that typically run no more than two attacking moves, they would hate any kind of Choice item. If you want to trick a Choice Band to them, you want to do it on a Pokemon that can actually run Choice Band without tricking it off. I can only really think of something like Kecleon at this point, though. My main point is that you generally will want SOME use out of Delphox if you're running a choice set, which is why I suggest Modest Scarf or Timid Specs. Scarf cripples Blissey and Vaporeon just as much as choice band anyway. Besides, tricking band onto something like Tyranitar instead of specs just really screwed you over.

As much as I like Delphox, I have to agree with other users and say he's probably not worth using in OU. But he will most likely feel at home in UU or RU, where he has the niche of a special fire type with a nifty support movepool.

Considering Blissey and Vaporeon are both support Pokemon that typically run no more than two attacking moves, they would hate any kind of Choice item. If you want to trick a Choice Band to them, you want to do it on a Pokemon that can actually run Choice Band without tricking it off. I can only really think of something like Kecleon at this point, though. My main point is that you generally will want SOME use out of Delphox if you're running a choice set, which is why I suggest Modest Scarf or Timid Specs. Scarf cripples Blissey and Vaporeon just as much as choice band anyway. Besides, tricking band onto something like Tyranitar instead of specs just really screwed you over.

As much as I like Delphox, I have to agree with other users and say he's probably not worth using in OU. But he will most likely feel at home in UU or RU, where he has the niche of a special fire type with a nifty support movepool.
This is true, but what about Scarf Scald, which Vaporeon can now freely spam? I never liked Tricking Scarfs, so that is perhaps why I am biased. But Delphox isn't going to make OU, I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks it will is in huge denial. This is probably gonna be high RU imo.

delphox isn't going to survive any SE hits for weakness policy

switcheroo is basically insurance against getting a crappy item like a choice band when using magician, because you can then swap it onto something of theirs that does not want a band

I think Delphox is best in UU, (assuming if [and that's a big IF] Fighting-types and such are still the norm) I honestly do. It is very powerful at what it does, that can be established; unfortunately, it just gets outmatched very, very easily in the higher tiers.

It has some good things going for it, such as the Speed and the Special Attack, and it has some few tools to work with...but it just comes with too little to offer in terms of trying to get rid of threats in the higher tiers.

But sadly for it, things change, and the little fox seems to be the worst of the starters, so RU seems like its destination.

Last edited:

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Delphox has no business staying into either of those and Mega Houndoom is immune to Switcheroo so that's a waste of a turn. Magician is only usable after the resist berry has been used, but you'd probably be in Blaze range by then and I'm still unsure of what benefits Magician would have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)