Pokémon Delphox

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what does this thing out-speed after +1? Scolipede focus passing to a CritFox spamming Overheat sounds workable in a lower tier environment. With it's weird speed, good special, and lack of better boosting options it's one of the few pokes to actually benefit from being able to spam a strong attack with a diminishing return. It also gets a boost to overheat with blaze so it's not like anything other than Blaziken is going to be doing this 100% better and there're loads of better things to be doing with SB Blaziken.

Venusaur made OU.
All GenI starters are going to OU with their Mega forms.
Sheer Force Feraligatr might reach UU.
Blaziken is UBER (and was pretty solid before getting Speed Boost)
Empoleon is going to OU with Defog.
Infernape is OU.
Contrary Serperior will be OU if he gets the right coverage moves.
Protean Greninja is OU, wouldn't be surprised if he was found in Ubers.
Delphox has good attacking stats and a good offensive typing, not to mention that Magician is a very interesting ability. UU and OU.
Chesnaught.... eh.

So um, yeah. Bad argument is bad. Even if you don't factor in the hidden abilities of the old guys, the Gen VI starters are probably the strongest set of starters so far.
These pokemon only get where they are by there abilities. Magician. Meh.

Infernape says hi.

Also Gen 1 starter Megas aren't going just due to ability (although ability certainly helps a lot).

Chesnaught can at least wall Mega Gengar pre-Pokebank. IF Mega Gengar chooses not to run Dazzling Gleam or HP Fire.

Greninja...massive hype surrounding him right now. It'll probably be used a lot even when it all settles.

Meanwhile I've seen like 2 Delphox in my 80+ ladder battles pre-Pokebank. What especially hurts it is how many people are running Tyranitar, as it has no options to get past that thing.

In UU there's a lot of Pursuit users too, special mention to Houndoom and it's Flash Fire, being immune to Delphox's STAB.

Then there's stuff like Metagross and Heracross which have a good chance of being able to beat Delphox when played right.

If it ends up in RU it'll be really nice there, assuming the Pursuit users of UU don't all drop at once. That would be really sad for Delphox.

Swampert, Infernape, and Empoleon are all solid pokes that don't really care about their abilites, empoleon actually used torrent to its advantage back in the gen 4 days. Venusaur in gen 5 was nutty with chrollphyll, but in every other gen (6 included) it was pretty good with just overgrow.

At least we can all agree that gen 2 and gen 5 starters are just terrible competitively with the exception of sheer force feraligatr. Was contrary serperior ever actually released?

On topic, delphox's best set is definitely CM, but I'd be surprised if it gets above RU. With UU having so many good fire types last gen, I just don't see delphox really standing out.

We can always pray for Aura Sphere in the next version. Unlikely, but we might just get lucky. Alternatively Moon Blast so it can get nice coverage with Ghost/Fairy and STAB Fire.

At least we can all agree that gen 2 and gen 5 starters are just terrible competitively with the exception of sheer force feraligatr. Was contrary serperior ever actually released?
Neither was actually released. Feraligatr is pure theorymon. I'm still hoping for an Ability Capsule clone that can unlock hidden abilities. Please, I need a reason to start with Serperior.

Also lol Switcherooing a Flame Orb onto a Balloon Excadrill. That has got to be one of the funniest plays ever.

The Excadrill player should have gone for Rock Slide either way, but it's not like a lot of people know what Delphox does. My personal favorite set is a Switcheroo set with either a Choice item to mess up walls or Flame orb to screw up Physical Attackers.

Grass Knot should be used over Shadow Ball anyway. Fire Blast becomes 165 due to stab and then 220 BP due to Blaze. That's 5 BP in general stronger than a x2 Shadow Ball.
And stop calling Delphox a girl. All Pokemon are supposed to be called 'IT' or there Name and even if we would say he or she, Fenniken/Braixen/Delphox are 87.5% Male over the rest of the percentage being Female. We should be calling this Delphox a Boy.

Grass Knot should be used over Shadow Ball anyway. Fire Blast becomes 165 due to stab and then 220 BP due to Blaze. That's 5 BP in general stronger than a x2 Shadow Ball.
And stop calling Delphox a girl. All Pokemon are supposed to be called 'IT' or there Name and even if we would say he or she, Fenniken/Braixen/Delphox are 87.5% Male over the rest of the percentage being Female. We should be calling this Delphox a Boy.
You can't keep your Delphox in Blaze range. Scizor's Bullet Punch KOs you from that range, for example. And Shadow Ball gets decent coverage with Delphox's STABs, while Grass Knot is weak as crap against a lot of mons (it can't touch Rotom-W, for example).

It doesn't get Energy Ball. Whelp. There goes a reliable Grass-type move. You have Solarbeam now...which only works once with Magician Power Herb.

Also Delphox looks feminine, and Smogon gives zero shits about gender ratios.

You can't keep your Delphox in Blaze range. Scizor's Bullet Punch KOs you from that range, for example. And Shadow Ball gets decent coverage with Delphox's STABs, while Grass Knot is weak as crap against a lot of mons (it can't touch Rotom-W, for example).

It doesn't get Energy Ball. Whelp. There goes a reliable Grass-type move. You have Solarbeam now...which only works once with Magician Power Herb.

Also Delphox looks feminine, and Smogon gives zero shits about gender ratios.
Ok sure Grassknot is out of the question and Blaze is risky, but I wouldn't need Blaze to OHKO Scizor with a Fire Blast unless it missed, so Flamethrower would be better choice for sure hit. But can't we do something with Hidden Power like Grass or Water. Sure it's weaker, but it's got the best coverage.

Also, I bet 'you' do and I'm feminine and I'm a guy but should I be called a girl?

Ok sure Grassknot is out of the question and Blaze is risky, but I wouldn't need Blaze to OHKO Scizor with a Fire Blast unless it missed, so Flamethrower would be better choice for sure hit. But can't we do something with Hidden Power like Grass or Water. Sure it's weaker, but it's got the best coverage.

Also, I bet 'you' do and I'm feminine and I'm a guy but should I be called a girl?
Delphox's coverage consists of Fire moves, Psychic moves, Shadow Ball, Solarbeam, Grass Knot, and Hidden Power.

Surely that says something about his immense movepool doesn't it? You don't have to resort to Hidden Power though.

Also since Delphox's gender can be set with the click of a button it kinda doesn't matter about its real gender.

It's always confused and annoyed me that Delphox can't learn Focus Blast. It's a Psychic-type Fox Magician. It should be able to learn Focus Blast on level-up.

It's always confused and annoyed me that Delphox can't learn Focus Blast. It's a Psychic-type Fox Magician. It should be able to learn Focus Blast on level-up.
Or at least in general.

But is their any egg moves that this Pokemon can learn that it can use to 'up' its arsenal?

Or at least in general.

But is their any egg moves that this Pokemon can learn that it can use to 'up' its arsenal?
Um.

Wish. And Hypnosis. And Heat Wave.

I'm not sure why you'd be using Heat Wave over Flamethrower or Fire Blast. Wish is nice but it doesn't have the defenses or the HP to really effectively use it. And Hypnosis is just lol.

It also gets Magic Coat. Which is even more lol.

Hmph. So Psychic, Fire and the move Shadow Ball is basically all it's got, huh? Magic Coats fun. It could run Light Screen with it's decently high Sp.D of 100. WoW's better than Reflect on this Pokemon anyway, but it's got very low Physical Defense so WoW would be dropped for another special attack right?

I'm trying this right now:

Delphox@Red Card/Leftovers
Magician
252 HP/ 252 Spe/ 4 SpD
-Wish
-Substitute/Calm Mind/Psyshock
-Will-o-Wisp
-Mystical Fire

Annoying little thing, for sure. A fast Will-o-Wisp is a godsend (there's not many fast things able to this, especially with that many resistances and good bulk (Mismagius is the only thing i can think of... not to mention Prankster Sableye), with Mystical Fire annoying special attacker to no end, while you can try to stay healthy with Wish (and supporting teammates is always a nice thing). Red Card because i couldn't think of anything better to use with Magician... and it works quite well, since this Delphox is made to annoy the opponent by decreasing it's attacks, therefore raising the chances to survive a hit and activating Red Card, while you can steal a item later. Feel free to just slap Leftovers on it. Delphox may attract Knock Off users, so depending on the situation it could survive a burned one (yeah, speed here helps a lot) and still steal a item. Situational, but hey, Leftovers does help without Magician anyway.

Walled by anything with Flash Fire (unless you go for Psyshock on the second slot), and has a hard time against any fire poke since they can't be burned (if you don't have Calm Mind).
Works best with a bulky water/ bulky Dragon baking it up. Spikes/Stealth Rock support is very good, since this can force switches out with some ease.

no, I think it actually has some merit to it. it completely turns the tables on would be counters like bisharp without the normal drawback of using a berry

Isn't magician just pickpocket?
Magician steals an item when you attack, not when you get hit.

What would be a good Item for Delphox, though?
Power Herb+Solarbeam works well with Magician, but you could always end up with a Choice Band or something, which is slightly undesirable for you.

LO/Specs/Scarf+Blaze is still quite a valid set. It's just done a bit better by the other Fire-types in UU. But it still hits pretty darn hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)