Creative / Underrated Sets in the UU Metagame

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus

Whimsicott @ Choice Specs
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Energy Ball
- Psychic
- Switcheroo

Fun to use, and effective too! Whimsicott actually hits surprisingly hard with specs, and accompanied with the surprise factor can net a large number of KOs. A lot of things that don't fear support Whimsicott such as Mega Blastoise, Nidoqueen, Swampert, Hippowdon and Mega Ampharos are all easily 2HKOed and some even OHKOed with a little prior damage. And there is little more satisfying than having Crobat, usually a 100% counter to it, switch in and be KOed by Psychic after rocks. It can also check a lot of stuff on standard offense with its speed, in fact it hits a really nice speed tier, getting the jump on base 115's like Starmie, Raikou and Azelf.

Main reason to use this guy over other Grass types is that secondary Fairy typing, making it an excellent offensive check to the many Dragons and Fighters in the tier. In particular it is a great check to Hydreigon and Mega Amphy for offensive teams. Infiltrator is also such a good ability, allowing you to attack and Switcheroo through subs which is awesome. Not to mention it's quite unexpected with most Whimsicott out there running Prankster. And once the opponent realises it's packing a specs, they would be inclined to switch in a special wall such as Blissey or Florges, which is when you Switcheroo your Specs onto them. ^.^

Some cool calcs:

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Psychic vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Crobat: 248-294 (66.4 - 78.8%)

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Energy Ball vs. 236 HP / 0 SpD Mega Blastoise: 276-326 (77 - 91%)

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Moonblast vs. 132 HP / 0 SpD Mega Ampharos: 306-360 (86.4 - 101.6%)

252 SpA Choice Specs Whimsicott Psychic vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Nidoking: 264-312 (86.8 - 102.6%)

All have a chance to be cleanly OHKOed after rocks.

Last edited:

Kink

it's a thug life ¨̮
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Encore
- Bug Buzz
- Final Gambit

A mostly theoretical set that I intend to try using. The purpose of this set is to follow a lead like Cobalion or Azelf, that can set up the taunt/stealth rock and then u-turn/volt switch/suicide lead into Accelgor. Pokemon like crobat and gligar will be desperate to defog after a spikes and stealth rocks layer, which is where final gambit comes into play. Encore is fairly obvious in its ability to break through subs and wish/protect strats.

This combo lead is the perfect setup for a HO team. Pokemon like Scarf Chady, LO Mienshao, CB Krook really appreciate the hazard damage. I intend to update this with replays shortly.

Meru

ate them up
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past WCoP Champion
UUPL Champion

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Was just discussing this in the PS! chatroom and we all agreed that there's actually good merit behind this set. In an ironic twist of fate, Gligar becomes the tier's best counter to Mega Ampharos, as well as many other special attackers. Since Gligar is only weak to Water- and Ice-type attacks, it has very good merit as a special wall, and can stand up to anything in the tier bar Choice Specs users, Nasty Plotters, and Water-types. As such, this set pairs well with bulky Water- and Grass-types. This set also manages to function as a very sturdy Lucario check to any set lacking Ice Punch. As a bonus, thanks to its SpDef investment, it's also much less likely to eat a Knock Off, giving it much more reliability in its role. Not sure who originally pioneered this set but going to give credit for now to aim for being the one to destroy me with it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-165331780

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 169-200 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 99-117 (29.6 - 35%) -- 9.8% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 123-145 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gligar: 265-312 (79.3 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gligar: 159-187 (47.6 - 55.9%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gligar: 258-304 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 322-380 (96.4 - 113.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 134-160 (40.1 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Darmanitan @ Life Orb/Leftovers
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Att / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Rock Slide/Earthquake
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp

Darmanitan is the kind of Pokemon where you basically spam U-turn the first few rounds and then mostly Flare Blitz late game. However, I never really liked how little U-turn does to (most of) Darm's usual switch ins, leaving Darm reliant on its teammates to whittle them down before attempting to clean up. I started wondering if Darm could actually do something useful instead of running away.

Then it hit me; I noticed that a large segment of Darm's checks/counters don't appreciate burn status, and Darm gets Will-O-Wisp so I figured why not give it a shot? Sure, you could just as easily use Arcanine as your burn spreader, which also has access to Intimidate and Morning Sun, but 1) good players already expect WoW from Arcanine meaning they're likely to switch-in different Pokemon, and 2) said players NEVER expect WoW from Darmanitan. While it definitely requires a bit of prediction, I found this set to be actually kind of decent. I happen to prefer Leftovers due to its staying power, but I understand the wall-breaking allure of Life Orb so I'm keeping that as an option, too.

Let's take a look at some counters/checks (all comments assume LO Darm).

UU:
  • Mega Aerodactyl - Hates burn. Darm still can't U-turn out, but at least it doesn't have to worry about Pursuit doing lots of damage.
  • Mega Ampharos - Burn isn't as bad since it's a special attacker, but without access to passive recovery it's on borrowed time. Besides, Darm has a chance of 2HKOing offensive sets with FB/EQ, and can U-turn out of the defensive ones.
  • Mega Blastoise - Same deal as with Mega Ampharos.
  • Donphan - Hates burn. Non-CB or non-LO variants will no longer OHKO with Earthquake, but regardless of the set Darm can U-turn out of there with little to fear.
  • Entei - Immune to burn. Darm best be getting out of there, unless you happen to catch Entei on the switch-in and fire off a Rock Slide.
  • Flygon - Hates burn. Won't be able to OHKO without CB, but Darm can switch out just fine anyway.
  • Hippowdon - Hates burn. Flare Blitz can 2HKO, though, so you might not even have to bother with WoW.
  • Kingdra - Depends on the set. Critdra won't really care, but mixed variants will be partially crippled. Since Darm is naturally faster, it can just u-turn out afterwards.
  • Krookodile - Hates burn. That said, it might be better just to spam FB since it has a good chance of 2HKOing support Krook.
  • Milotic - Probably don't burn, for obvious reasons. This is one battle Darm ain't winning.
  • Noivern - Probably not worth the burn, admittedly. Just switch out to avoid that Draco Meteor. Noivern can't come in on Darm too many times, though.
  • Quagsire - Hates burn. U-turn out to safety afterwards.
  • Snorlax - Generally dislikes burn. It's not too much of an issue for Curselax, but Darm can still U-turn out safely. Other Snorlax variants will no longer be able to OHKO Darm with EQ.
  • Starmie - Best option is to just predict the switch-in and U-turn. It has a chance of OHKOing offensive Starmie, and I imagine a lot of Starmie run Natural Cure.
  • Suicune - Mostly apathetic about burn, but you barely do any damage with Darm's other moves and now Suicune can't spare as many turns before it's forced to Rest.
  • Swampert - Hates burn. Darm is free to U-turn out, afterwards.
  • Tentacruel - Not the end of the world, but it's now on borrowed time. Plus, Darm is free to U-turn out and attempt the 2HKO later on.
  • Vaporeon - Doesn't care too much, but you've essentially given yourself a free turn. Vaporeon probably now has to Heal Bell, leaving you free to U-turn out to a counter. If it wasn't burned, Vaporeon could just go ahead with the Wish/Scald.
RU:
  • Alomomola - Unless you're running some obscure Refresh variant, Alomomola won't like the burn. This is especially true for Rocky Helmet sets which won't have nearly the staying power.
  • Cresselia - Anything that isn't the Psycho Shift set won't appreciate being burned. Course, PS Cress is 2HKOed by Darm, so there's that. As for the other sets, though, Cresselia won't be able to simply stall out Darm with Moonlight.
  • Dugtrio - Hates burn, and that pesky sash is now broken.
  • Gastrodon - Doesn't necessarily hate burn, but it will now have much less staying power.
  • Gligar - Hates burn. Earthquake now won't even be able to 2HKO.
  • Jellicent - Same as Gastrodon.
  • Omastar - Without EQ, Darm won't be able to KO after the burn and should just U-turn out. However, after all that damage Omastar won't be attempting to sweep for very long.
  • Rhyperior - Hates burn. Darm free to u-turn out.
  • Slowking - Same as Gastrodon/Jellicent.
  • Tyrantrum - Hates burn. Even if a Lum Berry set catches the burn, another burn attempt will still ensure that Darm isn't OHKOed by any of Tyrantrum's attacks, barring choice band.
  • Wobbuffet - Hates burn. Good luck Countering that WoW.

Last edited:
Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
EVs: 160 Att / 132 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Return
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack

Likely looks like a very odd set to run Return on Porygon-Z. Tried this for a while still experimenting with its spread but I had the most success with this one. I wanted to make a Porygon-Z that can take on most common walls in UU with Stealth Rock and the right Download boost. Might've listed some that are OU now but its been a while since I used it but all of these were UU around the time I used it.

+1 132 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 290-343 (75.7 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 160 Atk Life Orb Porygon-Z Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 199-234 (50.5 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 160 Atk Life Orb Porygon-Z Return vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 285-335 (44.3 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 132 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 385-455 (97.7 - 115.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 132 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 471-556 (112.1 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
132 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chandelure: 234-276 (89.6 - 105.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (just to show the main reason to run Dark Pulse)
+1 132 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 240 SpD Mega Aggron: 148-175 (43 - 50.8%) -- 53.1% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Mainly wanted a Porygon that can go through the Special walls that will try to wall it. If it got teh DL boost in attack which I'm finding is more common to get there than in its SpA then it can 2HKO most of the common special walls that dont resist it with Return.

Speed EVs are to outspeed everything up to Timid Nidoking. Attack EVs are to get above KOs.

Last edited:

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Download
EVs: 160 Att / 132 SpA / 216 Spe
Naive Nature
- Return
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Tri Attack

Likely looks like a very odd set to run Return on Porygon-Z. Tried this for a while still experimenting with its spread but I had the most success with this one. I wanted to make a Porygon-Z that can take on most common walls in UU with Stealth Rock and the right Download boost. Might've listed some that are OU now but its been a while since I used it but all of these were UU around the time I used it.

+1 132 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Tri Attack vs. 248 HP / 0 SpD Arcanine: 290-343 (75.7 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 160 Atk Life Orb Porygon-Z Return vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Umbreon: 199-234 (50.5 - 59.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
+1 160 Atk Life Orb Porygon-Z Return vs. 4 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 285-335 (44.3 - 52.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
+1 132 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Slowbro: 385-455 (97.7 - 115.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
+1 132 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 471-556 (112.1 - 132.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO
132 SpA Life Orb Porygon-Z Dark Pulse vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Chandelure: 234-276 (89.6 - 105.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (just to show the main reason to run Dark Pulse)

Mainly wanted a Porygon that can go through the Special walls that will try to wall it. If it got teh DL boost in attack which I'm finding is more common to get there than in its SpA then it can 2HKO most of the common special walls that dont resist it with Return.

Speed EVs are to outspeed everything up to Timid Nidoking. Attack EVs are to get above KOs.
Darn you lol, I had a mixed Porygon-Z set I've been using that's notably similar to this, but it's more committed to being a lure than anything else. Wanted to hold off on posting it but I may as well now. This set actually comes in 2 versions depending on how you wanna spend your EVs:

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 248 Atk / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Return
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

The EVs are specifically geared toward 2HKOing Blissey with Return, thanks to the power of Life Orb and Adaptability. I didn't want to use Download because it means you're forced to bring Porygon-Z in to get the boost, and in many cases against defensive Pokemon, it's going to be taking a hit, getting statused, or coming in off a really ballsy double switch in rare cases. Plus if they switch out to something else now they see their Blissey is 2HKOed, your other moves are likely to be at much less power. Adaptability just lets it ensure it's able to do its job with the spam of Return and Tri-Attack, regardless of what walls not named Sableye or Mega Aggron wish to do. Shadow Ball's for neutral coverage in general but it's highly important in my opinion to use over Dark Pulse, as you avoid giving incoming Lucario a free Justified boost, since it's going to be forcing you out immediately after. Recover is important as once they see what you're doing, they're going to switch. Or your opponent might be one of those cheeky pricks who tries to just sit there and let you kill yourself with Life Orb recoil. Either way, make it known this P-Z ain't going nowhere by using Recover and healing up after dealing a big hit!

Porygon-Z @ Life Orb
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 96 Atk / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Tri Attack
- Shadow Ball
- Recover

Pretty much the same exact deal except you're using the even-harder-hitting Double-Edge. I honestly prefer the first set if only for the fact the recoil you amass after slamming into Blissey with Double-Edge is nearly suicidal in itself, and then the Life Orb recoil that comes after...Of course you might be ballsier and want a harder-hitting Tri-Attack.

Either set though, they both accomplish the same goal, to lure special walls in and 2HKO them. The only special wall in UU that really stands up to this is Umbreon, who only has a 58.6% chance of being 2HKOed by Double-Edge. If you really hate Umbreon that much use Cobalion, Lucario, or Virizion, you're over-committing by this point dude seriously you can use 176 Atk EVs for a guaranteed 2HKO. You WILL die after taking a Foul Play so make sure this is done on the switch, with Stealth Rock in case it tries to outlast you by using Protect. Oh yeah, Recover's 100% mandatory on this version of the set. You're killing yourself way too much to not afford it. If you hate Shadow Ball on either set, though, you can use Thunderbolt, Ice Beam, Sharpen, Agility, even HP Fire if you hate Forretress that much. Whatever move you feel could serve you better if the given options don't appeal.

So I've recently gone back to UU to mess around in the new meta, and to find proper replacements for the holes left by the big wallbreakers: Victini and Heracross. I took a break from UU late June, when even the combination of both CB Hera and Victini was very standard on a lot of teams. Now that they are gone, I've been looking to fill Hera's shoes. Banded Machamp became more common initially, as it's access to guts let it serve in a (very much sort of) Hera-banded way. Then Mega-Gallade was announced, and I thought I'd give regular Gallade a try. A bit to my own surprise, it has been doing very well:

View attachment 27098

Gallade (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Justified
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe OR EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Psycho Cut / Zen Headbutt
- Knock Off
- Leaf Blade / Shadow Sneak

Gallade supports the same base attack stat as Heracross and Mienshao, so many of the CB Hera CC calcs are the same as for Gallade (including a guaranteed 2HKO on many phsyical walls such as Alomomola/Swampert/Donphan after rocks). Moreover, it has a base 80 speed stat, and neutral STAB coverage to easily 2HKO physically defensive Florges switchins. An added benefit of secondary psychic STAB is that Crobat will think twice about switching in as well. Yes, it does not appreciate status, so running it with cleric support is highly recommended. Knock Off is put on the set for the sake of this being gen 6, but mostly you will be clicking one of your STAB options. In the last slot you have access to solid priority, but you can also opt for Leaf Blade. Although it mostly hits just as hard as CC on most waters (bar Swampert ofc), it's nice to not having to deal with the defense drops, and sparing some of that precious CC pp. Finally, Gallade also greatly benefits from Slowbro's promotion to OU.

The first spread guarantees outspeeding most Nidoqueens and everything else that started creeping around the -1 Victini tier. I know that this is no longer an issue for now, but I found that many players are still stuck in that creep war with their spreads, so I'd better be safe than sorry. The second spread is mostly to outspeed adamant Honchcrow (although you will still be taking a lot from sucker punch regardless, so whether or not that's worth it is up to you).

Calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 206-244 (50.9 - 60.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 178-211 (50.4 - 59.7%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Leaf Blade vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 260-308 (49.1 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 214-253 (59.4 - 70.2%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 186-219 (45.8 - 53.9%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

All in all, CB Gallade is just a very underrated mon in UU. Of course, it is not Heracross, but for myself, it has come the closest in succesfully replacing Heracross on my teams. It has all the coverage it needs to break the most solid physical walls in UU, and has decent survivability.

One replay on my old alt: (As for Gallade, it only shows a little bit of its potential straight away on turn 2 in the match, and I did not exactly play him well at all. However, this replay does show the merit of koko's SubCM Suicune set, eventually netting me the win).

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167469848

This one is somewhat better: (although my opponent played his Blissey rather poorly)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167508315

Last edited:
Hi [: First time posting in this thread. I wanted to show you guys a pretty cool Flygon set I just randomly made up. I like to call it "LureGon" (Sounds powerful doesnt it?) Its meant to obliterate Flygon's main checks/ counters, being Swampert, Quag, Hippowdon, Chestnaught, Trevenant and Donphan. Without further ado, lets get on to the set :

Flygon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252Spe/ 152SpAtk/ 104Atk
Naive/ Rash Nature
- Giga Drain
- Fire Blast
- EarthQuake
- U-Turn/ Outrage/ Defog

152 SpAtk EVs ensures that Quag gets OHKOd by Giga Drain. As well as having a chance to 2HKO Hippowdon. Fire Blast also cleanly 2HKOs Trevenant if you get high damage rolls. You can always go Rash>Naive if you want to basically have higher chances of 2HKOing these mons, but that comes at the cost of not being able to outrun Entei, Rachi, and Timid Hydreigon.

Naive Calcs:

152 SpA Life Orb Flygon Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Quagsire: 395-468 (100.2 - 118.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

152 SpA Life Orb Flygon Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 182-216 (43.3 - 51.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

152 SpA Life Orb Flygon Giga Drain vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 307-364 (76.5 - 90.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

152 SpA Life Orb Flygon Giga Drain vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Donphan: 143-169 (39.2 - 46.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

152 SpA Life Orb Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Trevenant: 166-198 (44.3 - 52.9%) -- 23.4% chance to 2HKO

152 SpA Life Orb Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 260-307 (68.4 - 80.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Rash Calcs:

152+ SpA Life Orb Flygon Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hippowdon: 200-237 (47.6 - 56.4%) -- 25.8% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

152+ SpA Life Orb Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Trevenant: 185-218 (49.4 - 58.2%) -- 98.8% chance to 2HKO

152+ SpA Life Orb Flygon Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 283-335 (74.4 - 88.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

152+ SpA Life Orb Flygon Giga Drain vs. 172 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Donphan: 156-185 (42.8 - 50.8%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HK

152+ SpA Life Orb Flygon Giga Drain vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 333-395 (83 - 98.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Pairing this with something that appreciates these mons being removed (Ie; Haxorus/ SD Luke) is pretty nice [:

Last edited:
Ok, so a long time ago when I mainly played mono. I made a hyper offensive Normal team and a custom pory 2 set that does some stalling, but plays well with ditto.

Dr. Evil (Porygon2) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 152 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Foul Play
- Recover
- Substitute

The general idea is to get people to set up (for ditto), or to out stall slower stallers. Trace is a nice bonus too because it can get something like flash fire, magic bounce or my personal favorite, prankster. It's a very fun set that make people rage, but you also have to know how to use it well. 4 speed is just to outspeed base 60.

Last edited:
So I've recently gone back to UU to mess around in the new meta, and to find proper replacements for the holes left by the big wallbreakers: Victini and Heracross. I took a break from UU late June, when even the combination of both CB Hera and Victini was very standard on a lot of teams. Now that they are gone, I've been looking to fill Hera's shoes. Banded Machamp became more common initially, as it's access to guts let it serve in a (very much sort of) Hera-banded way. Then Mega-Gallade was announced, and I thought I'd give regular Gallade a try. A bit to my own surprise, it has been doing very well:

View attachment 27098

Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Gallade supports the same base attack stat as Heracross and Mienshao, so many of the CB Hera CC calcs are the same as for Gallade (including a guaranteed 2HKO on many phsyical walls such as Alomomola/Swampert/Donphan after rocks). Moreover, it has a base 80 speed stat, and neutral STAB coverage to easily 2HKO physically defensive Florges switchins. An added benefit of secondary psychic STAB is that Crobat will think twice about switching in as well. Yes, it does not appreciate status, so running it with cleric support is highly recommended. Knock Off is put on the set for the sake of this being gen 6, but mostly you will be clicking one of your STAB options. In the last slot you have access to solid priority, but you can also opt for Leaf Blade. Although it mostly hits just as hard as CC on most waters (bar Swampert ofc), it's nice to not having to deal with the defense drops, and sparing some of that precious CC pp. Finally, Gallade also greatly benefits from Slowbro's promotion to OU.

The first spread guarantees outspeeding most Nidoqueens and everything else that started creeping around the -1 Victini tier. I know that this is no longer an issue for now, but I found that many players are still stuck in that creep war with their spreads, so I'd better be safe than sorry. The second spread is mostly to outspeed adamant Honchcrow (although you will still be taking a lot from sucker punch regardless, so whether or not that's worth it is up to you).

Calcs:

252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Leaf Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 206-244 (50.9 - 60.3%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Forretress: 178-211 (50.4 - 59.7%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Leaf Blade vs. 232 HP / 252+ Def Alomomola: 260-308 (49.1 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 214-253 (59.4 - 70.2%)
252+ Atk Choice Band Gallade Zen Headbutt vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Aromatisse: 186-219 (45.8 - 53.9%) -- 93.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery

All in all, CB Gallade is just a very underrated mon in UU. Of course, it is not Heracross, but for myself, it has come the closest in succesfully replacing Heracross on my teams. It has all the coverage it needs to break the most solid physical walls in UU, and has decent survivability.

One replay on my old alt: (As for Gallade, it only shows a little bit of its potential straight away on turn 2 in the match, and I did not exactly play him well at all. However, this replay does show the merit of koko's SubCM Suicune set, eventually netting me the win).

This one is somewhat better: (although my opponent played his Blissey rather poorly)

While Leaf Blade is nice for hitting bulky Waters, I prefer Ice Punch over it to hit the increasingly popular Gligar. I reallly like Gallade's Psychic STAB for screwing over Poison Types like Toxicroak, Nidoqueen and Crobat, and the Knock Off buff helps him to deal with Psychic types that walls it. Lum SD isn't a bad set either :o

Gligar @ Eviolite
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Was just discussing this in the PS! chatroom and we all agreed that there's actually good merit behind this set. In an ironic twist of fate, Gligar becomes the tier's best counter to Mega Ampharos, as well as many other special attackers. Since Gligar is only weak to Water- and Ice-type attacks, it has very good merit as a special wall, and can stand up to anything in the tier bar Choice Specs users, Nasty Plotters, and Water-types. As such, this set pairs well with bulky Water- and Grass-types. This set also manages to function as a very sturdy Lucario check to any set lacking Ice Punch. As a bonus, thanks to its SpDef investment, it's also much less likely to eat a Knock Off, giving it much more reliability in its role. Not sure who originally pioneered this set but going to give credit for now to aim for being the one to destroy me with it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-165331780

252 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 169-200 (50.5 - 59.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb Roserade Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 99-117 (29.6 - 35%) -- 9.8% chance to 3HKO
252 SpA Chandelure Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 123-145 (36.8 - 43.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Iron Tail vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gligar: 265-312 (79.3 - 93.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gligar: 159-187 (47.6 - 55.9%) -- 80.1% chance to 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Sheer Force Darmanitan Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Eviolite Gligar: 258-304 (77.2 - 91%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Nidoqueen Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 322-380 (96.4 - 113.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Shaymin Seed Flare vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Eviolite Gligar: 134-160 (40.1 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
Spdef Gligar was my idea :]]]] you can thank me for my innovation later buddE <3

View attachment 27098

Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Knock Off

Calcs:

You replaced Heracross with Gallade on my team, how is that working out? Cause it seems like a decent change.

Spdef Gligar was my idea :]]]] you can thank me for my innovation later buddE <3

You replaced Heracross with Gallade on my team, how is that working out? Cause it seems like a decent change.

It is very much a decent change so far :]. All the props to your team ofc, I just wanted to test Gallade on a proven team in the exact Heracross role, hope that's alright!

It is very much a decent change so far :]. All the props to your team ofc, I just wanted to test Gallade on a proven team in the exact Heracross role, hope that's alright!
I created the guide to help newer players make the transition into the tier, you having the initiative to make that change is honestly a fantastic thing to be able to do :]]]] Good luck with UU and if there's anything you need help with as a newer user, I'm more than happy to help :]

Okay, this set isnt godly, but it's pretty unexpected, and can help you out a lot sometimes.

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest/Focus Blast/thunderbolt.

Your regular offensive mega-sheep, but can now counter forretress and avoid your team getting sore feet from SR. if the oppnent doesnt start with forry, Sheep can easily fire off a powerful volt-switch, and no momentum will be lost.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay, this set isnt godly, but it's pretty unexpected, and can help you out a lot sometimes.

Ampharos-Mega @ Ampharosite
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest/Focus Blast/thunderbolt.

Your regular offensive mega-sheep, but can now counter forretress and avoid your team getting sore feet from SR. if the oppnent doesnt start with forry, Sheep can easily fire off a powerful volt-switch, and no momentum will be lost.
Do people in general really let Forretress stay in on Mega Ampharos? I mean I guess it also comes with the fringe benefit of taking down AV Escavalier who could eat Thunderbolt, but I dunno. I could see if you had HP Grass (for people who really hate Swampert/Gastrodon) or something...

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SPA
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rocks
- Rapid Spin
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat/Lava Plume

With this set Torkoal can be your rock layer, spinner and status inducer. With Shell Armor you never have to worry about crits and with a massive 416 Def this bad boy can tank just about any physical attack, specially with the help of Will-O-Wisp. In addition to this Torkoal is one of 2 pokemon that can get this move combination (Torkoal and Smeargle, Mew can learn Defog but not Rapid Spin.) I use the Overheat just because I prefer it over Fire Blast. However, Torkoal isn't all good all the time. Being fire type doesn't give him the best typing to be a wall with his list of weaknesses and resists. Also Torkoal has no reliable recovery and is weak to all entry hazards.

Pros:
- Massive defense and access to Will-O-Wisp
- Shell Armor prevents crits so he can do his thing a little longer
- 1/2 pokemon with access to Spin and Wisp
- Resists Bug, Fire, Grass, Ice, Steel, Fairy

Cons:
- Weak stats exept for defense
- Weak to all entry hazards
- No reliable recovery
- Weak to Rock, Water, Ground

Torkoal just doing his thing, Flygon for scale:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167864443

Torkoal doing it again, Flygon and Machamp for scale:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-167856608

252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 204-242 (59.3 - 70.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Choice Band Machamp Dynamic Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 153-181 (44.4 - 52.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 234-276 (68 - 80.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Choice Band Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 101-119 (29.3 - 34.5%) -- 100% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery (Same is true for all of his attacks)
252+ Atk Mega Aerodactyl Stone Edge vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 210-248 (61 - 72%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Lucario Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Torkoal: 282-333 (81.9 - 96.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Here is something fun to use while victini is back. (and if it stays.)

I call this Martini. (cause it's a mix of a few things)

Wing butt (Victini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Energy Ball
- V-create
- Substitute
- Bolt Strike

Most people expect a choice tini 9/10 times. So what they do is throw out something to take a hit for a v-create or bolt strike, but what they don't expect is you to sub up that turn. Say there's a raikou or something that can't eat v-creates on the field. This is where they go into a something that can tank a few of them like a swampert. Time to sub while they throw it out. Next turn you hit them with an energy ball and they lose most of their health, same applies with a water to ground for a bolt strike.

4 SpA Victini Energy Ball vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 284-336 (70.8 - 83.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

After the second turn they either stay in and let swampert and let it faint or they send in something that can take a special attack like florges.

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 252 HP / 232 Def Florges: 252-297 (70 - 82.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

And it's not like florges has any moves that can hurt you. Moon blast won't even scratch a sub, (16.4 - 19.3% -- possible 6HKO) so you could sub up again predicting either a wish past, a toxic or for what ever reason, they moonblast you.

But let's say that you sub up and they go to a dragon like hydreigon.

252 Atk Victini V-create vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 134-158 (41.1 - 48.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

That's going to hurt it, and give you the chance to go into something that can easily counter it after the sub goes.

Even crocune can get recked by this thing

252 Atk Victini Bolt Strike vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Suicune: 156-184 (38.6 - 45.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

It gets hit and breaks your sub, then if you decide to stay in again, there goes most of it's health while it can only do

4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Victini: 158-188 (46.3 - 55.1%) -- 63.3% chance to 2HKO

which is little considering it can be a threat to a team.

Overall, I think this set is a great anti UU tini that can be a threat to most of the tier if played right.

Disclaimer: I do realize Whimsicott is featured on this thread already, yet I believe this set is unique enough to be on here as it fulfills a good niche role making other mons more viable in the process.

Back again, once again.. Seeing as I am more of an offensive player, and I come from a long spell in OU, I have been trying the last few days to make some sort of italian offense styled team work in UU (for those of you uncommon with it, tricking uses the archetype in this replay http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-167477209). However, I found it hard to make a proper all round HO team in UU because mostly you're forced to run SD Lucario, DD/SD Haxorus and SD Absol, where Haxorus isn't the best of fits due to a lack of priority. Due to the bulky offensive nature of the tier, it was very hard to truly find a good setup moment, especially for Mega Absol (Mega Pinsir is significantly more bulky and capable of taking a hit and setting up). Looking through this thread, and looking for a great 'glue' mon for this style of teams, I ended up using this: (The idea roughly came from tricking's LO Latios with memento, finding that the only relevant UU mon that could pull this off was Whimsicott).

Setup sweepers aiding Whimsi.

View attachment 27297

Whimsicott @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Memento

Yes, Memento Whimsi has been used mainly on the infamous deniss BP team, but it also has merit by itself on offensive/HO teams in UU. Scarfed Hydreigon and mega Blastoise are a pain in the ass to truly offensive teams (especially using Haxorus and Mega Absol). Add M-Amphy to that list, and it already proves its merit on HO teams as a allaround check to these big threats with surprising offensive pressure. Of course, this was mostly already known and abused by tournament players, mostly in the form of Tailwind support (see also Calloflochie's thread of team archives http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/an-ode-to-uu-open-team-archive.3517499/), yet not in as much of an offensive role.

This Whimsicott plays somewhat the same as IronBullet's specs Whimsi featured above, with the relevant calcs provided there being slightly less powerful ofc, yet with the obvious benefit of being able to switch moves. Giga Drain > Energy Ball is there to deal with the recoil, and adds to Whimsi's survivability, making sure it stays alive for the right moment to use memento and making a sweep possible. Because of this, Prankster > Infiltrator, which is self-explanatory.

All in all, this particular set is mainly to be used to make setup mons just that little more viable in the current UU environment, ensuring some sweeps that otherwise could not be possible (especially aiding Mega-Absol late game, where it otherwise would struggle to get off an SD and clean).

Replays:

This first replay shows that offensive Whimsicott by itself can already be a big threat to a lot of teams. All I had to do was use Crobat as a pivot to bring in Whims, and it got a kill nearly every single time.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168539328

This replay against AM didn't feature that much action, however, it proved to be a good way to deal with scarfed Flygon (which generally deserves more use), a massive threat to my team. Note that Moonblast did 40% to a Magneton, and relevant turn 17 where the simple presence of Whims prevents Flygon from cleaning.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168553957

This last replay isn't that much different from the first one. Note how after sacking Empoleon (which already cannot do that much to Whims), his entire team was threatened by it.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-168557258

Here is something fun to use while victini is back. (and if it stays.)

I call this Martini. (cause it's a mix of a few things)

Wing butt (Victini) @ Leftovers
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Energy Ball
- V-create
- Substitute
- Bolt Strike

While that set seems like it could be useful in some situations, Victini's greatest attribute is its extraordinary power right off the bat, nearly always amplified by boosting items. Your set, while having the ability to dodge Sucker Punches if it really comes to that, sacrifices the ability to 2HKO every mon in the tier, which is really imo what makes Victini so good.

For example, sure you can hit a Suicune from behind a sub for about 40%, but you're not entirely getting the job done. Assuming you sub on the switch, you can hit the Suicune while it breaks your sub, but then the Suicune can just Rest after the first Bolt Strike to stall its limited PP. Then you're in the position where it might click Scald on the Sleep Talk so you have to risk staying in to just do another 40% or switch out and waste your time...you get the picture. Meanwhile on a Life Orb set you could've just clicked Grass Knot/Thunder/even Bolt Strike twice and it's dead

Basically not using a boosting item like Life Orb or Choice Band turns a huge number of 2HKOs into 3HKOs on Pokemon like Suicune, Hippowdon, Gligar...the list goes on. In my mind, you're much better off simply 2HKOing the incoming switchin (sometimes with prediction). For example a Life Orb set with V-Create, Thunder, Energy Ball, and Dazzling Gleam 2HKOs literally the entire tier I believe (except ironically other Victini).

While that set seems like it could be useful in some situations, Victini's greatest attribute is its extraordinary power right off the bat, nearly always amplified by boosting items. Your set, while having the ability to dodge Sucker Punches if it really comes to that, sacrifices the ability to 2HKO every mon in the tier, which is really imo what makes Victini so good.

For example, sure you can hit a Suicune from behind a sub for about 40%, but you're not entirely getting the job done. Assuming you sub on the switch, you can hit the Suicune while it breaks your sub, but then the Suicune can just Rest after the first Bolt Strike to stall its limited PP. Then you're in the position where it might click Scald on the Sleep Talk so you have to risk staying in to just do another 40% or switch out and waste your time...you get the picture. Meanwhile on a Life Orb set you could've just clicked Grass Knot/Thunder/even Bolt Strike twice and it's dead

Basically not using a boosting item like Life Orb or Choice Band turns a huge number of 2HKOs into 3HKOs on Pokemon like Suicune, Hippowdon, Gligar...the list goes on. In my mind, you're much better off simply 2HKOing the incoming switchin (sometimes with prediction). For example a Life Orb set with V-Create, Thunder, Energy Ball, and Dazzling Gleam 2HKOs literally the entire tier I believe (except ironically other Victini).

While having a powerful victini is great, it's also hard to keep healthy. Choicing victini makes it easy to switch in on and if you v-create. You lose speed and defense leaving you open for a pursuit or something slamming into you that now out speeds. Constantly switching can be difficult in a game where stealth rocks eat away at you if you are not on the ball about keeping them away. Life orbtini is nice, but that takes even more work to keep healthy for obvious reasons.

I'm not trying to say these are flawed, my set has holes too, but I though that seeing a new tini that can still v-create or hit both walls hard before retreating again instead of switching out right away would be a breath of fresh air. Also with Martini, I've beaten every crocune battle I've had yet, they would have to of had come out with my Victini not behind a sub to do win that battle, because they won't be able to sleep stall when it takes 3 turns to kill crocune and energy ball could alternate with bolt strike assuming they haven't got a calm mind boost, and if they did, they most likely won't be able to survive so it would be a risky keeping it in.

Okay my set is, Assault Vest Gallade!

Gallade (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Leaf Blade/Ice Punch/Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak/Close Combat

Well many people see Gallade as a bad pokemon (glad to see a gallade set up earlier!), I think this set has some serious potential. Its able to check a variety of special attackers and can act as a counter to Hydreigon and Mega Blastoise, two of the most used pokemon in the tier. Calcs to back it up : 220 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 156-185 (47.2 - 56%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
And the second Draco: -2 220 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 78-94 (23.6 - 28.4%) -- 91% chance to 4HKO. Gallade can ohko guarenteed after rocks and have a chance post life orb damage : 252+ Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 288-338 (88.6 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO. I run Justified to get free plus 1 off of dark moves I know I can take like dreigons dark pulse and such. Steadfast is pretty meh and situational so I'd rather run justified. How blastoise fares against Gallade: 252+ SpA Blastoise Water Pulse vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 49-58 (14.8 - 17.5%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ SpA Blastoise Dark Pulse vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 43-51 (13 - 15.4%) -- possible 7HKO
252+ SpA Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 21-25 (6.3 - 7.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
And in return Gallade can leaf blade for some solid damage or Drain punch for recovery:252+ Atk Gallade Leaf Blade vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Blastoise: 210-248 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
52+ Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Blastoise: 132-156 (36.8 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.
The Choice band set looks cool too, but what I really love about Gallade is all of its coverage options and its vast movepool, I feel like this set can fulfill a seperate niche from CB and not sacrifice the coverage. Also something else pretty cool, Crobat can't really switch in free either: 252+ Atk Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 294-348 (78.8 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery and for offensive crobats: 2+ Atk Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 294-348 (94.5 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO. Lastly I'd just like to go over some additional options for moves. Shadow sneak can be used for additional priority and revenge killing purposes, I suppose this thing could switch into a scarf Chandy fire move making it a decent check. Ice Punch can be used if you'd like to get some coverage on Gligar or something else. Knock offs cool for removing items and it Ohkoes Alakazam 100% of the time. Oh jeez, forgot to mention this thing can also put a stop to Nidoqueen and Nidoking as well as Tentacruel. This is my first post in the thread, new to uu and I'm trying to be active in the fourms to aid in my learning process, so if this is a shitty gimmick just say and I can delete.

Last edited:
While this probably isn't creative, to say the least, it absolutely fits the bill for the underrated aspect of the thread;

LIKE STELL (Cresselia) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonblast

Basically, this is probably one of the best win conditions for balance / defensive teams at the moment, due to Cresselia's surprising amount of speed, which with the current spread lets you outspeed Adamant Honchkrow, and more importantly, beats CroCune, which is kinda huge for balance, considering it doesn't have Slowbro anymore to check it. It also fixes a problem that most set-up sweepers have (see: Slowbro), which is their vulnerability to Toxic, but Cress honestly can bypass that due to the fact that Levitate helps in it not getting worn down by Toxic Spikes (or Spikes in general, considering this set doesn't have recovery). Cress can set up on practically half the special attacking tier (Rotom-H, Goodra, Nidos, a lot more lol) thanks to its insane bulk and decent defensive typing.

As for good partners to this set, I would suggest pairing it with Toxic Spikes to wear down most of its common switch-ins, so Roserade, Tentacruel, Nidoqueen, etc. are all good partners. It also fits well Volt Switch / U-turn users such as Gligar, Jirachi, and Raikou thanks to their ability to lure in common special attackers as previously mentioned. Pokemon that can beat Steel-types, particularly Mega Aggron, Jirachi, and Empoleon, so Raikou, physically defensive Mega Ampharos, and other mons that can generally switch into them and force them out are good partners. Finally, having a good cleric to prevent Cress from getting worn down and to clear it of status are appreciated, so Umbreon makes a great choice as it can check common Cress answers such as Chandelure and Jirachi (to an extent).

Okay my set is, Assault Vest Gallade!

Gallade (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Psycho Cut
- Leaf Blade/Ice Punch/Knock Off
- Shadow Sneak/Close Combat

Well many people see Gallade as a bad pokemon (glad to see a gallade set up earlier!), I think this set has some serious potential. Its able to check a variety of special attackers and can act as a counter to Hydreigon and Mega Blastoise, two of the most used pokemon in the tier. Calcs to back it up : 220 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 156-185 (47.2 - 56%) -- 78.5% chance to 2HKO
And the second Draco: -2 220 SpA Life Orb Hydreigon Draco Meteor vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 78-94 (23.6 - 28.4%) -- 91% chance to 4HKO. Gallade can ohko guarenteed after rocks and have a chance post life orb damage : 252+ Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 288-338 (88.6 - 104%) -- 25% chance to OHKO. I run Justified to get free plus 1 off of dark moves I know I can take like dreigons dark pulse and such. Steadfast is pretty meh and situational so I'd rather run justified. How blastoise fares against Gallade: 252+ SpA Blastoise Water Pulse vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 49-58 (14.8 - 17.5%) -- possible 6HKO
252+ SpA Blastoise Dark Pulse vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 43-51 (13 - 15.4%) -- possible 7HKO
252+ SpA Blastoise Aura Sphere vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Gallade: 21-25 (6.3 - 7.5%) -- possibly the worst move ever
And in return Gallade can leaf blade for some solid damage or Drain punch for recovery:252+ Atk Gallade Leaf Blade vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Blastoise: 210-248 (58.6 - 69.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
52+ Atk Gallade Drain Punch vs. 236 HP / 0 Def Blastoise: 132-156 (36.8 - 43.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO.
The Choice band set looks cool too, but what I really love about Gallade is all of its coverage options and its vast movepool, I feel like this set can fulfill a seperate niche from CB and not sacrifice the coverage. Also something else pretty cool, Crobat can't really switch in free either: 252+ Atk Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 294-348 (78.8 - 93.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery and for offensive crobats: 2+ Atk Gallade Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Crobat: 294-348 (94.5 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO. Lastly I'd just like to go over some additional options for moves. Shadow sneak can be used for additional priority and revenge killing purposes, I suppose this thing could switch into a scarf Chandy fire move making it a decent check. Ice Punch can be used if you'd like to get some coverage on Gligar or something else. Knock offs cool for removing items and it Ohkoes Alakazam 100% of the time. Oh jeez, forgot to mention this thing can also put a stop to Nidoqueen and Nidoking as well as Tentacruel. This is my first post in the thread, new to uu and I'm trying to be active in the fourms to aid in my learning process, so if this is a shitty gimmick just say and I can delete.
Those calcs from Blastoise look like it's not Mega Blastoise, who sports MUCH higher Special Attack on top of Mega Launcher. Okay, I just ran the calcs and Mega Blastoise isn't actually much better. Anyway, I might try this set out. As far as posting etiquette goes, do try to break up your walls of text and make calcs consistent with the set you have listed. You have the RU set in the calcs (212 HP EVs) but the set at the start of your post has 252/252/4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)