Cookie Dough

Hello,

I absolutely love eating cookie dough when my mom makes cookies. But on the tube of the pre-made Pillsbury stuff she buys, it says quite clearly "Do Not Consume Raw Dough". I know this is because of the danger of eating uncooked foods, especially eggs, but shouldn't all the ingredients of a commercial product be pasteurized? I just really want to be able to eat the cookie dough.

I always love buying cookie dough ice cream, but when I buy it, I always end up eating all of the cookie dough pieces before the ice cream, so I'm always left with just vanilla ice cream.

I know cookie dough is immensely popular because everyone loves it, so I'm asking .. where do you get your cookie dough fix safely?

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
i am the fully evolved form of cookie dough

cake dough is pretty nice too, and I like eating lemon meringue pies without putting them in the oven like they tell you to (although tbh I don't know if they're uncooked or the oven is just to warm them up)

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
Well, cookie dough used in commercial ice cream is safe to eat because it does not contain any eggs. In fact, the main reason raw cookie dough is not safe to eat is almost, if not entirely due to the salmonella bacteria found in uncooked eggs. Thus, the solution to your problem is to make your own cookie dough without eggs. An example recipe can be found here.

I just called Pillsbury and they told me that all of their cookie dough is made with pasteurized eggs. Therefore, salmonella poisoning (the primary danger of eating foods with raw eggs as an ingredient) should not be a problem. I'm guessing it says "Do Not Consume Raw Dough" on the package just to cover their asses in case one slips through.

Well, cookie dough used in commercial ice cream is safe to eat because it does not contain any eggs. In fact, the main reason raw cookie dough is not safe to eat is almost, if not entirely due to the salmonella bacteria found in uncooked eggs. Thus, the solution to your problem is to make your own cookie dough without eggs. An example recipe can be found here.
How can you make cookie dough without eggs? Aren't they a key ingredient? Why would you put eggs in cookie dough if they weren't necessary?

evan

I did my best -- I have no regrets
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I think the eggs are only necessary if you are baking the cookies, ET.

i love cookie dough too, ive never gotten sick from it as far as i remember. That egg free recipe looks interesting... i think I'll mix up a batch and then i'll have a good supply of cookie dough in my freezer for rainy days

Bass

Brother in arms
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnus
How can you make cookie dough without eggs? Aren't they a key ingredient? Why would you put eggs in cookie dough if they weren't necessary?
It's actually a well known fact that most, if not all ice cream makers do not use eggs in their cookie dough. You might want to check this link. It shows an experiment with the purpose of analzying what is really in "cookie dough" ice cream. It also gives a good method for you to isolate the cookie dough too =).

Also, TheBM is correct. That link also shows what happens if you attempt to bake cookie dough found in ice cream.

Unlike most, I can't stand eating it raw. But, I'm not much of a cookie guy, unless they're chewy.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
eggs are used for consistency when baking, so there are other options that you can substitute. You can buy egg beaters or egg substitutes from the grocery store that do not carry the risk of salmonella. You can also look carefully to find pasteurized eggs if you don't like substitutes =P

There has not been a problem with salmonella from eggs in a long time. Also salmonella mostly just makes healthy adults feel sick, it isnt really dangerous. I say eat your cookie dough, I do all the time and im fine, just dont over do it. My mom would let me clean the cookie dough and cake batter bowls all the time when i was growing up, dont worry.

I usually bake cookies while I post in this forum (and they are quite good...) I also eat more dough than cookies, and I have not suffered from food poisoning or any other crap like that. I say it's fine; just do not eat insane amounts of it.

I've never really seen the fuss about cookie dough. Sure, I enjoy eating cookies, but if the dough was nicer than the finished product, why would they sell cookies? I suppose its just a question of taste.

Well, now that it's been necromancied...

There has not been a problem with salmonella from eggs in a long time. Also salmonella mostly just makes healthy adults feel sick, it isnt really dangerous. I say eat your cookie dough, I do all the time and im fine, just dont over do it. My mom would let me clean the cookie dough and cake batter bowls all the time when i was growing up, dont worry.
Actually, salmonella is still commonly found in raw eggs - it's a serious health concern, because quite frankly the food industry does not obey any health and safety regulations placed upon them.

Sure, salmonella isn't likely to kill a healthy, not-immunocompromised adult, but the elderly, the young, or the wide varieties of immunocompromised people or people on immunosuppresants... yeah, they'd be in trouble. And salmonella has killed otherwise healthy adults before. There was a recent outbreak in South Australia, actually - several people in an old folk's home died of salmonella poisoning. My mother investigated that particular case.

monkfish

what are birds? we just don't know.
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
haha i thought this was a 'current' thread until i read TheBM

lesson learned et!!!!!!

That bump was worse than mine -_-

All the Nestle situation tells us is to get off your ass and make your own cookie dough. I highly doubt the E. coli came from the dough being raw; I don't even thin E. coli is associated with raw eggs (unless I'm wrong.)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)