Not open for further replies.
Well, I run this one

Trick Room @ Leftovers
252 SPA/252 HP/6 Whatever
Moonblast
Power Gem
Trick Room
Filler support move

To sum this set in one sentence "Anti Metagame". Carbink loves the fact that everyone and their mom uses Talonflame, and it can set up an advantage for the whole team. Against a weakened team who have a lot of mon that is "Carbink weak", it can try to deal damage under Trick Room. Its typing is deceptively good as well to check stuff

Overall, its not exactly something that I call good, but its pretty effective at what it does(unlike many.... other garbage that I tried to run *stares at Delphox)

Last edited:
That's quite a niche role carbink is playing there, ServerNotFound. Is there anything else a life orb carbink can do aside from counter those three? Especially since it's got base 50 offenses. Does it really need a life orb to counter talonflame, volcorona, etc?
Need the life orb to guarantee some of the ko's. It hits max hp mandibuzz and crobat for a 2hko giving it anti defogger use. I think offensive dragonite is 2hkod too

Well, I run this one

Trick Room @ Leftovers
Moonblast
Power Gem
Trick Room
Filler support move

To sum this set in one sentence "Anti Metagame". Carbink loves the fact that everyone and their mom uses Talonflame, and it can set up an advantage for the whole team. Against a weakened team who have a lot of mon that is "Carbink weak", it can try to deal damage under Trick Room. Its typing is deceptively good as well to check stuff

Overall, its not exactly something that I call good, but its pretty effective at what it does(unlike many.... other garbage that I tried to run *stares at Delphox)
Why not just use Life Orb Trick Room Reuniclus with HP Rock? Has more than double the SpA and Magic Guard.

Why not just use Life Orb Trick Room Reuniclus with HP Rock? Has more than double the SpA and Magic Guard.
Rock Typing

EDIT: Honestly i'm not going to bother to say how its not outclassed or some shit, but those Rock/Fairy typing are pretty damn good. Just use Diancie

Couldn't Volcarona just use Giga Drain? If you switch Carbink in on a Giga Drain it will die next turn if it doesn't switch back out.

Even if Carbink has HP/SpD, an unboosted Modest 252 Volcarona will do, at minimum 49.3% damage.

#CARBINK 4 UBERS
Carbink has great potential. Running 252 HP/125 D/125 spD/ 8 spA. Can set up rocks, calm mind, then fire off power gems
and Moonblasts; still, Carbink recovers with Lefties while containing incredible bulk. Carbink can also run Assault Vest with
252 HP/ 252 spA+/ 4 D and be able to have Moonblast, Power Gem, Psychic, and HP. This can still take large hits AND deliver
some if you really want. Pretty much anything not steel or above power 110 unboosted will be able to OHKO Carbink. Give the little floating fairy
rock a chance.
#CARBINK 4 UBERS

Well, I run this one

Trick Room @ Leftovers
Moonblast
Power Gem
Trick Room
Filler support move

would stealth rock be a viable option as filler move.?

A calc:

252+ SpA Carbink Hidden Power Fire vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Scizor: 192-228 (68.3 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Still not good enough. If HP Fire was an OHKO on Scizor, then Carbink would be able to stand some form of chance as a Dual Screener or Stealth Rock setter in the OU metagame, as Carbink does not have room to run both at the same time, at least without being prone to other Pokemon coming in and setting up on him. This is pointless, however, as HP fire is not an OHKO on Scizor, under any circumstance, meaning that there's no way for it to stop Scizor at all, unless the opposing Scizor thinks it can get away with a SD. Carbink's use in Ubers will also only be short lived, as the Pokemon it checks will begin packing in EQ to stop Carbink if it ever begins to become popular in that metagame. If Carbink had just a bit more SpA, it would be able to run a Calm Mind set given support, but at the moment, it doesn't seem possible. It's unfortunate, as I was looking forward to Carbink, but oh well.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I just don't know what to think about Carbink. Its stats just scream gimmicky, but everything else is pretty good. It doesn't learn Recover, it's too weak offensively...

What were Game Freak thinking when they created Carbink? I don't get it.

I just don't know what to think about Carbink. Its stats just scream gimmicky, but everything else is pretty good. It doesn't learn Recover, it's too weak offensively...

We needed another Shuckle. We got another Shuckle.

I don't think you guys should be using Carbink to attack things, honestly.
Those base 50 offenses won't do it any favors, and there are a LOT of better things to set up TR. (He might be cool in sand though)

Plus, any wall hates having a 4x weakness, and what with MegaScizor/Genesect/Aegislashes everywhere (well it won't be OU but steel).
Sadly the best thing I can see it doing is suicide lead, but maybe it'll get a movepool buff or something in the future.

I think it should be mentioned that Carbink is in the small minority of Pokemon that learn Trick Room in OU and don't have a weakness on Dark/Ghost type moves.. Also imo Carbink might have potential on sand teams because of its beastly defenses but it has the same fade as Shuckle unfortunately as it doesn't have a reliable recovery move outside of Rest and has a shallow movepool except of the moves Moonblast, Trick Room, Stealth Rocks, Double Screens and Toxic. In addition with that 50 base Special Attack you can't do much back and you are a complete set up fodder to everything.

In addition with that 50 base Special Attack you can't do much back and you are a complete set up fodder to everything.
This is why Carbink is awful. It's completely passive, with Toxic as its best way of dealing damage (not counting Stone Edge for certain 4x Rock Weak things) and is complete set-up fodder for everything. If I wanted a Dark-resistant/ghost-neutral Trick Room setter, I'd use Aromatisse, who has a taunt/encore immunity, a workable 99 base SpA, and a lot more support moves.

Things that can do nothing but set TR are dead weight on TR teams.

First: i want to say this delicious Pixie chestnut will not be upper tier so lets stop thinking it will and making people cry that there are tons of better things blah blah blah. It is clearly a low tier pokemon.

Next: lets look at some pokemon with similar stats and then narrow it down to pokemon who play similar roles (on paper)
Carbink Rock/Fairy- 50/50/150/50/150/50 Total: 500

Stealth Rockers:
Bastiodon Rock/Steel- 60/52/168/47/138/30 Total: 495
Registeel Steel- 80/75/150/75/150/50 Total: 580
Probopass Steel/Rock- 60/55/150/75/150/40 Total: 535

Dual Screeners:
Cresselia Psychic- 120/70/120/75/130/85 Total: 600

Both:
Deoxys-Def Psychic- 50/70/160/70/160/90: 600
Uxie Psychic- 75/75/130/75/130/95 Total: 580
Bronzong Psychic/Steel- 67/89/116/79/116/33 Total:500

Now let's analyze some things here:
Between the pokemon in the first category, they all quite literally set up Stealth Rocks, have no recovery outside Leftovers and Rest, and always carry at least 1 status move (whether it be Thunder Wave or Toxic). Their offensive capabilities are less than, needing to use moves like Metal Burst or Seismic Toss to get decent damage. Probopass unlike the previous two has the uniqueness of carrying Volt Switch to continue some momentum. However, each of their abilities help them as to not become dead weight after Rocks are set up.

The dual-screeners are all better than Carbink simply because of their versatility within their movepool. 2 of the 4 are capable of using recovery moves while the other 2 are stuck with Rest and Leftovers, though it is not a total loss. In addition, 3 of the 4 are fairly quick, allowing for the use of Trick, Taunt, or other anti-support moves against your opponent. In terms of those 3 which can also set up Rocks, they are just as standard as Carbink in their movesets (either regular offensive moves or status) work well because of team synergy.

Of all these pokemon the most similar (to me) to Carbink are Registeel and Probopass, whom both have great defensive capabilities despite their lack of recovery, although their movesets are generally easily predictable. Bronzong is another good comparison as it can fill the roles of a screener and hazard-player. Their best roles are as defensive support pokemon. The large problem Carbink has compared to them is that it is not immune to Toxic and does not have better offensive stats to do any real damage.

Then what about its typing?
Rock/Fairy: Weaknesses- 2x Water, 2x Grass, 2x Ground, 4x Steel
Well that sucks in a way? Even with its super high defenses it doesnt have a decent HP stat and 3 of those weaknesses are some of the best offensive typings in the game. Added to that it has strong weakness to 3 priority moves (Aqua Jet, Water Shuriken, and Bullet Punch).
Supereffectiveness- Ice, Dragon, Flying, Dark, Fighting, and Fire

Resistances- Normal, Fire, Flying, Bug, and Dark plus Dragon immunity and 8 neutralities

Overall analysis:

Carbink will be a great wall in low tier and given its typing could easily make it to Rarely Used. The biggest problems for Carbink at the moment are a small movepool, which could be fixed by possible move tutors in Pokemon Z, and average stats minus its defensive stats. I would say Carbink is far from gimmicky its role is right there in its stats and movepool...the Pixieshield of Gen VI pokemon. There is no need to think it gimmicky it has the roles of a Defensive Rocker or Screener and I am content with that. Would I rather it got something like Moonlight or Wish AT LEAST? Of course but you never know what Move Tutors may possibly bring. With Moonlight being made a Fairy move now its possible it'll be a tutored move.

Even more possible...if Carbink is a defensive Pixie maybe the leaked Legendary pokemon Diancie, the other Rock/Fairy type, will be the offensive Pixie.

I know this may have been a lot of useless typing but I think I helped in a way and made people realize Carbink is not as bad as it looks. It is just as bad as it looks for upper tiers alone.

I thought use it like:

Modest @ Leftovers
252 HP / 252 S.Atk / 6 Spe
- Power Gem
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Safeguard / Stealth Rock

It's just an idea. It can take some hit while set up Calm Mind, safeguard is to prevent poison, burn, etc.
I use carbink in my sandstorm stall team.
trick room
stealth rock
toxic
rest/protect/safeguard

I honestly think that carbink will make a pretty decent lead with this set..

Careful @ Light Clay
252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpDef
Ability: I would prefer Clear Body
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rocks
- Reflect
- Light Screen

I honestly think that carbink will make a pretty decent lead with this set..

Careful @ Light Clay
252 HP / 168 Def / 88 SpDef
Ability: I would prefer Clear Body
- Gyro Ball
- Stealth Rocks
- Reflect
- Light Screen
Does this thing's Gyro Ball even hurt neutral targets?

Any attempt at offensive Carbink fails miserably. There's a reason we don't see stuff like SD Skarm and AV Ferrothorn. Base 50 offenses at +2 still only equal about a base 140 stat. Couple this with the fact that it takes 2 turns to set up like that, and with the ubiquity of Bullet Punch (Scizor, Lucario, Medicham, Machamp), there is no reason to use an offensive Carbink.

Can Sharpen be used competitively yet?
I want to go physical, with Carbink's attack options,
but thinking of Sharpen + Gyro Ball stops my think option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)