Carbink @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

...and it's actually been working well. You flat out wall stuff like Ho-Oh, Rayqauza, and Yveltal. Sturdy is also surprisingly helpful at times to get off an important Toxic or Rest to stall.

So guys I've been messing around in Ubers with this set:
Carbink @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Toxic
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

...and it's actually been working well. You flat out wall stuff like Ho-Oh, Rayqauza, and Yveltal. Sturdy is also surprisingly helpful at times to get off an important Toxic or Rest to stall.
Rock/Fairy is great typing though EQ still hurts. I would still probably go for PowerGem over SE because Sleeptalk isnt always reliable to get SE and SE just isnt reliable to always hit

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
I personally like Stone Edge because Carbink really wants the extra power and crit chance, while burns don't matter thanks to Rest.

EDIT: Rock Tomb actually looks like an appealing option now due to the Speed drop it gives. You could, for example, bypass a Taunt with it or switch out and take advantage of the Speed Drop.

Last edited:
Not that good Probopass does the job better and hes nu plus Probopass is immune to toxic it can be a good wall in sand teams and counter some dragons but thats about it.

Carbink actually envies Probopass's offenses. Wishing you had the damage potential of a Probopass is a bad place to be. If this thing had Spikes, SR, Rapid Spin, and Recover it MIGHT find some niche uses in OU. But with what it has now it seems to be totally useless.

Not that good Probopass does the job better and hes nu plus Probopass is immune to toxic it can be a good wall in sand teams and counter some dragons but thats about it.
Having used both i see no real difference outside of resistances. The only thing Carbink REALLY has to be afraid of is a steel-type move which is rare in low tier. Sure Carbink wishes it had Probo's 75spatt but resisting Fighting and only being 2xSE to ground hits make up for that difference cause as we all know Sawk and Pinsir can destroy Probo while running MoldBreaker....Carbink can take the EQ or CC. Plus if you want to be ambitious you can boost with Calmmind which is something i dont believe Probo can do. Oh and poison!? You can safeguard or rest no big deal you defenses will keep you up.

All in all, despite a few differences between the two, i see Carbink and Probo as practically the same.

Having used both i see no real difference outside of resistances. The only thing Carbink REALLY has to be afraid of is a steel-type move which is rare in low tier. Sure Carbink wishes it had Probo's 75spatt but resisting Fighting and only being 2xSE to ground hits make up for that difference cause as we all know Sawk and Pinsir can destroy Probo while running MoldBreaker....Carbink can take the EQ or CC. Plus if you want to be ambitious you can boost with Calmmind which is something i dont believe Probo can do. Oh and poison!? You can safeguard or rest no big deal you defenses will keep you up.

All in all, despite a few differences between the two, i see Carbink and Probo as practically the same.
Well to be fair carbink is slow and it will probably get hit by a toxic before it can set up a safeguard But you do have a point about how Probopass is 4x weak to fighting and ground i agree though there about the same i think this guy will probably be low ru or high nu but thats just me

Well to be fair carbink is slow and it will probably get hit by a toxic before it can set up a safeguard But you do have a point about how Probopass is 4x weak to fighting and ground i agree though there about the same i think this guy will probably be low ru or high nu but thats just me
Yeah hes slow but it takes hits easy lol. Yet to have it be OHKOd on showdown. Plus ofcourse Fairy to be immune to dragon types is fun

Just to put it into perspective it has exactly the same stats as aegislash.......difference typing and movepool entirely but the same stats so the same defensive capability, just depends on type match ups. Seems like a decent supporting pivot and with cleric support can use rest to heal up.

Manaphy

Throughout heaven and earth, I alone am family guy
is a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Guys I don't really like the Probopass comparison at all because being 4x weak to Fighting and Ground is waaaaaay worse than a single 4x weakness to Steel. Carbink's also got important Dark and Fire resists which Probo doesn't have. Plus the extra attack doesn't really matter when you're main source of damage will be Toxic anyway.

While this guy will probably be low tier, If you check out the Ubers subforum, we're pretty serious about his viability in Ubers.

Considering Ubers is a sort of "metagame of extremes", I wouldn't be surprised if it were usable :P
Carbink is so good that he's only viable in Ubers ;). It would be just humilating for him to perform in any tier lower than the one with Pokemon behemots :D.

On more serious note - it would be perfectly fine Pokemon if he had at least like 20 base HP more, so he can for example survive +1 Life Orb Earthquake from Salamence. It has some great resistances, but this bad base HP really hinder his tanking abilities and being Rock type pretty much always is a problem when you are defensive Pokemon. Although in Ubers he indeed has some solid niche.

I don't really like carbink that much.

252+ Atk Life Orb Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Shuckle: 87-105 (35.65 - 43.03%) -- 95.75% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Carbink: 130-153 (42.76 - 50.32%) -- 1.56% chance to 2HKO

As a ridiculously bulky rock type shuckle is bulkier not to mention shuckle has sticky web

I don't really like carbink that much.

252+ Atk Life Orb Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Shuckle: 87-105 (35.65 - 43.03%) -- 95.75% chance to 3HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Conkeldurr Drain Punch vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Carbink: 130-153 (42.76 - 50.32%) -- 1.56% chance to 2HKO

As a ridiculously bulky rock type shuckle is bulkier not to mention shuckle has sticky web
Shuckle is also Stealth Rock weak and has a much worse defensive typing. The 4 times weakness to Steel is pretty significant for Carbink but Shuckle only resists Poison and Normal with no immunities while Carbink is immune to dragon and has 5 other resistances.

I've been using Carbink a fair bit as a utility 'mon/defensive pivot, running a very similar set to the Suicide Lead. However, I feel that is denying Carbink's impressive survivability, particularly with proper support. With its low base HP, Carbink makes a great recipient of Wishes from clerics like Florges, allowing it to come in and set up Screens multiple times throughout the game. As long as you keep it away from steel and EQ, Carbink will serve you well, and repeatedly, changing the outcome of the match.

Carbink @ Light Clay
Impish (or Careful) Nature
252HP/252Def (or 252SpDef)/4Att

- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Rock Tomb

Depending on the situation, you can come in and rocks/screen up, or, if you suspect a switch, use Rock Tomb to hinder their speed before switching to a counter. It makes a good lead, but if you get up rocks and screens without it getting knocked out, saving Carbink for later in the game can turn matches around with a well placed screen or speed drop. If he's about to get knocked out and you know it, a final Rock Tomb serves as a fantastic middle finger to setup sweepers.

Personally, I run this little guy alongside Florges with the Impish set; she can shrug off any Scalds that might be sent Carbink's way, and can provide Aromatherapy and Wish support, while Carbink can patch up her middling Defense stat with a Reflect, or totally neuter special attackers with a Light Screen (Florges already lols at special attackers, with Light Screen they'd be lucky to out-damage your leftovers recovery.) However, keep Steel in mind if going this route; depending on personal preference, Blissey or Alomomola might make a more prudent option.

One positive it has over it's rival Shuckle is being able to reliably set up stealth rocks repetitively because of it's rock resist. Not much but if you really need rocks up you got something.
It's actually neutral to SR. Just sayin.

Sure Carbink wishes it had Probo's 75spatt but resisting Fighting and only being 2xSE to ground hits make up for that difference cause as we all know Sawk and Pinsir can destroy Probo while running MoldBreaker.
Again, just sayin, it's only neutral to Fighting.

Now, about the poke itself, I don't find Carbink to be very good. It has good overall defenses but that low HP plus no reliable recovery really hurt. Plus, he is actually set up bait for quite a few dangerous pokemon. Not to mention that it pretty much can't touch Steels, now think of a Scizor gettin a free SD boost while Carbink is basically forced to switch or let Scizor set up even more and kill everythin. (well not like Carbink will end up in OU, just givin an example here)

What a bout a good suicide lead to get rocks and trick room up?

Carbink @custap berry
Sturdy
Brave nature
252 HP/252 Atk/6 def

-trick room
-stealth rock
-explosion
-???
He gets rocks up on turn one in case anybody tries to switch anytime after that. Presumably the custap berry will then allow him to use trick room first, and if he manages to get both of those up without dying (magically) he can use explosion to put a dent in whatever is on the field, and he should go first using that due to trick room

What a bout a good suicide lead to get rocks and trick room up?

Carbink @custap berry
Sturdy
Brave nature
252 HP/252 Atk/6 def

-trick room
-stealth rock
-explosion
-???
He gets rocks up on turn one in case anybody tries to switch anytime after that. Presumably the custap berry will then allow him to use trick room first, and if he manages to get both of those up without dying (magically) he can use explosion to put a dent in whatever is on the field, and he should go first using that due to trick room
Custap Berry adds +1 to priority and since Trick Room I believe is -5, it would go to -4 which doesn't have much benefit at all. Probably be best to use Trick Room turn 1, and then get a guarenteed SR up if in Custap range.

Custap Berry adds +1 to priority and since Trick Room I believe is -5, it would go to -4 which doesn't have much benefit at all. Probably be best to use Trick Room turn 1, and then get a guarenteed SR up if in Custap range.
I was under the impression that it allows the user to go first, not just increase the priority by one stage. And it's actually -7 priority. But in that case you should just use trick room first and the use rocks

Or not rely that much on custap since Carbink is really slow, with a hinderin nature and 0 IVs he becomes "super fast" in Trick Room :P

It doesn't do that either. Custap allows the user to move first in its priority bracket, so Custap Trick Room would never happen before any Roar/Whirlwind/etc. It's as if the pokémon got to maximum Speed for one turn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)