CAP 3 CAP 3 – Part 4 (Style)

Between its offensive & defense stats, how would this pokemon be like?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm voting Defensive, w/ nice resistances this pokemon should be Defensive, or at least Balanced it could also have a nice aresenal of support moves (Aromatherapy, WoW, Leech Seed, etc.)

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've been thinking about this for a long time, along with considering speed for the offensive criteria. In the end, I concluded that HP isn't a determinant factor when deciding the style of the pokémon: The highest defense stat being higher than the highest offensive stat nearly guarantees that the pokémon will work better defensively than offensively, and the opposite is true, too. HP aids a defensive build, letting you having not that high defenses. But if we use this criteria, by having non-astronomical defenses thanks to good HP means it will have offenses 20% as non-astronomical, tops.

I'm not totally happy about this criteria, BTW, so if someone has a better idea, PLEASE propose it in the process guide workshop topic.
Yeah, but with your definition, Wailord is offensive, which is definitely not the case. So HP _is_ a determining factor.

Also, I wrote an entire article explaining clearly why base stats cannot be used that well to reason about a Pokemon. It's the real stats that count. I created normalized base stats just for this purpose.

I'm sorry I didn't help at all on this, but I was basically in my girlfriend's house virtually throughout this whole weekend (I'm posting this from her laptop). I would have loved to help giving a better definition of what is balanced and what isn't. In fact, before I left home I was researching just this thing, but I wasn't ready with my method to post it.

Of course, it would be used for the next Pokemon discussed, not for this one.

Yeah, but with your definition, Wailord is offensive, which is definitely not the case. So HP _is_ a determining factor.
I should have said "most of the time" HP is not determinant. In the case of huge HP, even low defenses allow for a defensive pokémon.

Also, I wrote an entire article explaining clearly why base stats cannot be used that well to reason about a Pokemon. It's the real stats that count. I created normalized base stats just for this purpose.
I know, I use the normalized base stats all the time ;)
The problem with normalized base stats is that they depend on IVs and EVs, which means they can be altered. They don't determine a pokémon in the way the base stats do. Blissey is surprisingly sturdy on the physical side because of IVs (which could be counted as another constant) and EVs. But you can't count EVs beforehand when creating a base stat spread.

And I'm eagerly waiting to see your numerical definitions of offensive, defensive and balanced. Hopefully, they will cover up the holes in mine.

It's safe to assume that everyone who's anyone has voted and there's nothing else to talk about about. Seem the winner of poll this time is Balanced. Will process to make the next poll as soon as possible, in the meanwhile you can process with what little there is to discuss about.

Balanced is the clear choice here, yay! Sunny Day Sweeper plus powders is the best! What are the chances that this poke is getting Spore?

Voted offensive. Fire/Grass typing provides powerhouse STABs that are resisted by few pokemon. Make sure it has a reliable ground move in its movepool for Heatran(leaning towards Earthquake).

Alright, the next poll is done and about to be submitted. Just want to remind everyone that it's a bold poll and it has three vote selections to be filled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)