BW2 General Metagame Discussion Thread

I know it sounds noob, but you guys should give ludicolo a try.

Ludicolo @ Life Orb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid/Modest Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hydro Pump/Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Fire]/Rain Dance/Focus Blast/Hidden Power [Fighting]

Ludicolo Can sweep a lot of rain teams after some threats to it like tentecruel or ferrothorn are weakened or eliminated.

I think it's interesting that you would run Scarf Keldeo for clean-up duty Tobes, because I hadn't thought of it in that way. Just about nothing would be out-speeding you, so that wouldn't be a problem. but with no boosts, you'd have to thoroughly weaken the opposing team first, because I doubt Scarf Keldeo would get more than one shot at cleaning. Speaking of which, I would actually run Surf > Hydro Pump on a Scarf Keldeo. For revenge-killing purposes, you need the accuracy so you don't get fucked at the worst time. The same applies for lategame sweeps. But mostly, since you're going to have to weaken enemy walls pretty heavily already, the loss of power shouldn't seem as shocking as on the Specs or CM sets.

I agree with you 100% on Specs Water Pony. Specs is the only Water Pony set I've actually run for more than a few battles so far, and I love it. What switches in on Hydro Pump (in Rain)? Just about nothing. Icy Wind is awesome for lowering enemies' Speed, because it means that for all intents and purposes, you can OHKO Lati@s. I hadn't thought of HP Electric before, but you make it sound pretty enticing, and it makes sense coverage-wise. I'll try it out.

And yeah, Metagross does pair up pretty awesomely with CM Keldeo. Like I said, I haven't used CM Keldeo extensively (maybe 15-20 battles?) because I <3 Specs, but I used Metagross on that team and it helped a lot. But yeah, you kinda need to have Zen Headbutt to not be set-up bait for the threats you mentioned.

ginganinja

It's all coming back to me now
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
@ SlimMan on Gastrodon

Man, I think you are a great user, but you really need to phrase your arguments better.

I'm saying that Gastrodon doesn't do much better. Gastrodon still can't switch into CB Terrakion Stone Edge (it gets 3HKOed, and it can't even 2HKO Terrakion back).
O.k, so Gastrodon switchs in, tanks a Stone Edge, tanks a second one, Recovers back up , and 2KOs back with its STAB Ground attack, or just stalls you out of SE PP, while hammering away with Scald, aiming for that 30% Burn Rate. I am not sure what your point was but im pretty sure it does better than Lanturn.

Gastrodon still isn't going to handle that SD Lucario your opponent has.
Earthquake: 248-294 (87.94 - 104.25%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO

???

I never said it was a good idea to out-speed Gliscor. I said that Lanturn could do it, because you made it seem like out-speeding Gliscor was a big deal (not like Gastrodon can out-speed Gliscor). Gliscor still gets fucked if it tries to switch into Lanturn. Oh, and by the way, Lanturn can tank an Earthquake from full health, and OHKO back. So Gliscor is actually shit against Lanturn.

How does Gastrodon fare against Gliscor? Well, it gets 2HKOed by a completely uninvested +2 Earthquake. Meanwhile, Scald fails to KO Gliscor in return. A Gliscor with 252 Atk EVs (and a neutral nature) will OHKO Gastrodon with a +2 Earthquake after Stealth Rock or Spikes (and without any HP investment, Gliscor STILL isn't KOed by Scald). So Gastrodon does shit vs any Gliscor with SD. And don't get me started on what SubToxic Gliscor does.
There is a few things wrong with those paragraphs. For starters, you are implying that Lanturn actually does BETTER than Gastrodon, at handling Gliscor. I don't like how you say "look Lanturn can tank an EQ from Gliscor and then say that Gastrodon gets OHKOed from a +2 EQ after SR. I don't actually know why you are actually comparing that 2 calculations, ones a +0 EQ and ones a +2 EQ, and its not like Lanturn does any better at taking that +2 Earthquake that you are so happy to compare it too.

As I've been showing you, Gastrodon is better than Lanturn in NONE of the ways that you've said.
That would be because you ignored the fact that Gastrodon has a Ground STAB and screwed calculations to make it seem that Lanturn is better.

Note

I am not actually saying that Gastrodon is better than Lanturn, I posted because your arguments were very flawed and you perhapes need to rephrase things. Quite frankly, I rate Gastrodon about the same as Lanturn, both are mediocre pokemon that have a really small niche, but are half decent cos they check some of the top threats in the metagame. To me, having to use Lanturn to check Thundurus-T and Tornadus just brings me back to having to chuck Gastrodon on most of my teams to check Thundurus in BW, aka an average choice for a teamslot id really like to use on something else but x threat is so dominant I need it checked.

EDIT

Please tell me I missed someone obvious since those arguments just appear to be clearly wrong and I feel shit pointing them out in a harsh manner

haunter

Banned deucer.
Earthquake: 248-294 (87.94 - 104.25%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO
I think he means that Gastrodon can't switch into Lucario. Actually specially defensive Gastro must be at full health to avoid a OHKO from a +0 LO Lucario close combat (80,28% - 94,6%). Not that Lanturn does any better, though (85,24% - 100,44%).

I use flame charge heatran and it does great. Most people switch on it and you get a free speed boost and from there you can sweep the opposing team. Although water types and opposing baloon tran are a problem.

I think if you're going to use any Heatran at all, it would be defensive for tanking Hurricanes, or probably the Sunny Day set because weather is pretty much everywhere you turn. I can only see Flame charge working on a Sun team really.

I think if you're going to use any Heatran at all, it would be defensive for tanking Hurricanes, or probably the Sunny Day set because weather is pretty much everywhere you turn. I can only see Flame charge working on a Sun team really.
I use it to counter sun teams and i have other pokes to take hurrikanes. And yes i am currently using a non-weather team.

Heatran is a phenomenal Hurricane tanker. My rain team actually has a bit of trouble against solid defensive cores with him in it just because Tornadus-T isn't able to do much with a Hurricane, and my Focus Blast didn't even OHKO either. It's a pretty harsh stop to the new Therian genies bar Lando, and even then he can predict well with an HP Ice. Remember, Heatran was the number one used Pokemon last gen for a good reason: he can tank hits, and is great for a FWG core as there aren't other viable fire types that can fill his spot. Flame Charge could've been fun before the release of BW2, but rain is everywhere and sun just isn't being seen hardly at all anymore, so that idea may be obsolete unfortunately.

Patolegend!

Fan of 1000 Arrow 'Slash
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Heatran is a phenomenal Hurricane tanker. My rain team actually has a bit of trouble against solid defensive cores with him in it just because Tornadus-T isn't able to do much with a Hurricane, and my Focus Blast didn't even OHKO either. It's a pretty harsh stop to the new Therian genies bar Lando, and even then he can predict well with an HP Ice. Remember, Heatran was the number one used Pokemon last gen for a good reason: he can tank hits, and is great for a FWG core as there aren't other viable fire types that can fill his spot. Flame Charge could've been fun before the release of BW2, but rain is everywhere and sun just isn't being seen hardly at all anymore, so that idea may be obsolete unfortunately.
Just u-turn with Tornadus-T on the switch into Mamo, set up rocks, or destroy with EQ. I find the most annoying mon for my rain team is Gastrodon - but then I use toxicroak as my main sweeper, and not keldeo.

Heatran isn't really a good answer to Tornados-T. Naive, 4 atk, Life Orb Superpower against Calm, 252 hp Heatran does 55.4% - 65.8%. With Stealth Rock, two Leftovers (Protect) and the attack drop factured in, two superpowers do 92.7% - 109.8%. Plus, Heatran has no recovery, so if it has switched into Hurricane (20.7% - 24.6%) before it can't check Tornadus-T anymore. Don't use U-turn against it, it has seen that you run Life Orb and will probably Protect expecting U-turn, giving it free recovery.

lmitchell0012

Wi-Fi Blacklisted
IMO, specially defensive jirachi is the best counter to tornadus (both forms). I'm not sure if he can avoid the 2HKO from heat wave, though. However, he has decent bulk all around, so I bet he can take multiple hits before going down. However, tornadus also has taunt, so he won't just let you set up in his face. Fortunately, jirachi can fire back with a strong thunderbolt if he tries this.

Tornadus, this monster has hit my last nerve.... It's just so fast and with SPECS! Say goodnight. Keldeo is a not an issue as some had foreseen. The only CHANGE I truly find significant is that Hurricane from 110 SAtk 121 Spe. If a check comes to handle it whoop it retreats to get that nice Regen recovery....!

Ok, I haven't seen a solid counter to this thing. Jirachi no,Heatran hell no, Rotom-W fuck no, Lanturn your playing yourselves.......

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Jirachi is a pretty fine counter to Tornadus-T, actually, especially CM. In the rain, there really isn't much Tornadus can do to it at all. Also, you can always use like Specially Defensive Zapdos if you're really desperate, but otherwise, you could generally just resort to revenge killing the thing, or just use Chansey. Superpower can't 2HKO you.

Jirachi struggles with any Thundurus-T that isn't Choice Scarf really. I believe Jirachi is 2HKO'd by Life Orb Thunder, making it not so good to switch in, but if it comes in on an HP Ice or after something has died it can neuter it with Body Slam. It has no chance against Specs (however I really haven't seen Specs) and Nasty Plot versions.

Good thing Tornadus really can't do anything to Jirachi.

Chansey / Blissey don't really beat Tornadus. There's U-turn and the threat of Superpower, but more to the point if Hurricane confuses (as it always does) they have to switch or risk the 4HKO.

@ginga:
All of the problems you perceived were real, and I acknowledge them now. however, they're all problems of presentation and not of substance. Would you want to eat a pizza (however delicious) if it looked like shit? That's the problem I have.

O.k, so Gastrodon switchs in, tanks a Stone Edge, tanks a second one, Recovers back up , and 2KOs back with its STAB Ground attack, or just stalls you out of SE PP, while hammering away with Scald, aiming for that 30% Burn Rate. I am not sure what your point was but im pretty sure it does better than Lanturn.

Earthquake vs Lucario: 248-294 (87.94 - 104.25%) -- 31.25% chance to OHKO
First of all, I need to say that I assumed Shouting's Gastrodon would have Earth Power (which does fail to 2HKO Terrakion in Sand), so if it runs Earthquake instead, all my calculations would obviously need to be changed.

In the Terrakion case, I'm guilty of not using the best example. Shouting was saying how Gastrodon does better than Lanturn vs most Sand teams, in part due to a Rock resistance and lack of a Ground weakness. I was pointing out that Gastrodon doesn't actually counter any prominent Sand sweepers. The Terrakion could just as easily have used CC, but the fact that you shouldn't be switching Gastrodon into Terrakion holds true, regardless of the inadequacies of my example. Okay, Gastrodon can take a Choiced Stone Edge. But it'll lose horribly to anything else.

About the Earthquake calc you made, I find it irrelevant, to be honest. When would Gastrodon get a chance to use Earthquake, when SD Lucario at +0 out-speeds and OHKOes you after 1 Spikes or SR (1 Spikes and SR needed to guarantee it). I guess it means that Lucario can't switch into Gastrodon, but it can't switch into Lanturn either. I just don't see how Lucario would possibly be eating that Earthquake in the first place.

ginganinja said:
There is a few things wrong with those paragraphs. For starters, you are implying that Lanturn actually does BETTER than Gastrodon, at handling Gliscor. I don't like how you say "look Lanturn can tank an EQ from Gliscor and then say that Gastrodon gets OHKOed from a +2 EQ after SR. I don't actually know why you are actually comparing that 2 calculations, ones a +0 EQ and ones a +2 EQ, and its not like Lanturn does any better at taking that +2 Earthquake that you are so happy to compare it too.
I honestly did NOT think I implied that Lanturn does better than Gastrodon. If anything, I am guilty of trying to shove multiple ideas into single paragraphs/sentences. Sometimes, there are discrepancies between "author's intent" and "author's message". Everything about Lanturn and everything about Gastrodon were two separate things, or at least they were supposed to be. I didn't think anyone would try and combine them, although I may have presented them that way.

I was pointing out to Shouting, at first, that Lanturn isn't completely raped by Gliscor all the time, like he said it was. I was showing that he was wrong because Lanturn can technically beat Gliscor from full health (although it obviously can't switch in). The calcs for Gastrodon were supposed to be entirely separate. Contrary to what Shouting said, Gastrodon is not a full-stop to Gliscor, and it hardly even does "all right" against it. It was supposed to say that although SD Gliscor easily one-shots Lanturn, it can do the same to Gastrodon. I was NOT trying to say that Lanturn beats SD Gliscor and Gastrodon does not.

ginganinja said:
That would be because you ignored the fact that Gastrodon has a Ground STAB and screwed calculations to make it seem that Lanturn is better.

I am not actually saying that Gastrodon is better than Lanturn, I posted because your arguments were very flawed and you perhapes need to rephrase things. Quite frankly, I rate Gastrodon about the same as Lanturn, both are mediocre pokemon that have a really small niche, but are half decent cos they check some of the top threats in the metagame. To me, having to use Lanturn to check Thundurus-T and Tornadus just brings me back to having to chuck Gastrodon on most of my teams to check Thundurus in BW, aka an average choice for a teamslot id really like to use on something else but x threat is so dominant I need it checked.

Please tell me I missed someone obvious since those arguments just appear to be clearly wrong and I feel shit pointing them out in a harsh manner
ginga, I used Gastrodon's Ground STAB in all my calculations, although we differ on which Ground STAB to use. As I said earlier in this post, I used Earth Power, because it's what I see on most Gastrodon I face. Against a Sand team, Earthquake would absolutely be better, but I thought to just go with what I see the most.

I'm sorry, but I don't see how you thought I was trying to make Lanturn look better. I wasn't even focusing on Lanturn in that post, I was criticizing Gastrodon the whole time. It was more of a "Gastrodon is not better" than a "Lanturn is better" thing. But I, like most people, are terrible at recognizing their own flaws, so maybe I tried to make Lanturn look better?

To speak metaphorically, the meat and potatoes of my arguments have held true in every case you pointed out. It's just that you couldn't see the meat and potatoes through a thick stew of unclarity. So I respect you pointing out the problems with what I posted, which were abundant, but I don't seem to have been "clearly wrong" at all. :\

Also, yeah you summed up Lanturn pretty well there. Although you forgot to mention that it is the cutest Pokemon of all, just edging out Keldeo. I love it for that.

----------

@ Ricky Horror:
How are Jirachi and Lanturn NOT counters to Tornadus? Lanturn always switches in safely and always forces Tornadus out (or KOes it). That's what a counter is. I suppose you could make the argument of "Well Tornadus can just keep switching out". But if you make that argument, the NOTHING has counters, because it could just switch out.

But with Jirachi, it doesn't matter how many times Tornadus switches. Tornadus cannot do shit to Jirachi, ever, and with Wish, Jirachi can switch in infinitely. I see no way on earth that Tornadus will ever come out on top against a Jirachi. Ever.

@ shrang:
Yeah, I guess Specially Defensive Zapdos would counter Tornadus, since even HP Ice fails to 2HKO (and ya know, STAB Thunderbolt in return). And it also has a niche in completely walling Scizor. But with stuff like Thundurus running around, would Specially Defensive Zapdos even be viable? I'm open to listen, but I'm skeptical.

People really need to start running Jolteon more; it's almost perfect in this metagame. It easily checks (almost counters) the Therians, surviving 2 hurricanes from Tornadus-T and absorbing Thundurus-T's Electric attacks with impunity, hitting back with either Volt Switch or HP Ice, which usually OHKOes them after rocks with Specs. At a blistering base 130 speed, it outspeeds everything in OU, besides the uncommon (and predictable) scarf user, meaning it can come in multiple times throughout a match and scare a bunch of stuff out for free momentum with Volt Switch.

I can't tell you how many times Jolteon has come out almost unscathed endgame. It's not bulky at all (although it can sometime survive even a boosted special attack at full health), but it doesn't need to be since its mostly a hit and run attacker.

Plus, it's probably one of the cutest pokemon to have ever existed, which is always a major plus, at least for me (ew Jellicent).

Chansey / Blissey don't really beat Tornadus. There's U-turn and the threat of Superpower, but more to the point if Hurricane confuses (as it always does) they have to switch or risk the 4HKO.
Ive said this in he past but apparently I have to reiterate it. Chansey can take superpowers just fine around 50%, which because of the attack loss, means it can't 2HKO. I don't even run a Chansey with that much physical bulk. The chance of confusing 4 times in a row is about the same as getting a critical hit, trying to kill Chansey like that is rather a last ditch effort, and if you know your opponent is spamming hurricane, you can easily sack something or come in on a resistance, come in again, unconfused, and heal up, like you said.

Also in my experience its a 5HKO, but whatever.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I run SubPass Jolteon simply because it can get free Subs basically anywhere in the metagame at the moment. Once Ferrothorn or something like that comes in, just Baton Pass the Sub to you Dragonite, or whatever sweeper that can take care of Jolteon's check and then set up for free.

While Jolteon is pretty great for checking..... a ton of shit, I don't think you can call it a counter to Tornadus and Thundurus. Both Therians are able to 2HKO it with Focus Blast or Superpower (LO needed). I mean, it can switch in and fire off an attack at them, but it only gets one shot at checking them, which makes it too unreliable to be called a counter imo.

Also, Meloetta has been released for more than 48 hours, and I haven't seen a single one on the ladder yet. I was sure that the new toy phase would apply to Meloetta as well (also, it's my 2nd favorite Pokemon), but maybe people are still too busy playing with Tornadus to notice it.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Jolteon may not counter them, but it surely does a good job exploiting their high usage. Arguably it has far more utility than Lanturn, which just seems overly specialized in countering these Rain threats and nothing else really :P

What exactly can Tornadus, Thunderus or Keldeo do to a specially defensive Dusknoir?

Dusknoir can just switch in, take any hit easily (Focus Blast, Superpower, Hurricane, Thunder, Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump, Surf, HP Ice - nothing will KO it), then hit them with Ice Punch / Thunder Punch or use Pursuit or Will-O-Wisp on the switch. Then you can round the set out with Pain Split and Sucker Punch / Shadow Sneak.

You could use Eviolite Dusclops as well, which would wall them even better, but having a base 100 ATK stat to deal some damage is pretty handy.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Keldeo's Specs Hydro Pump in Rain: 86-102% to that Dusknoir
Thundurus's LO Thunder: 55-64%
Tornadus-T's Specs Hurricane: 52-61%

All 2HKOs or worse with any residual damage. Dusknoir with no Atk investment and weak moves like Ice Punch / Thunder Punch wont bring them down in one hit, so Dusknoir's gonna lose even 1 on 1.

Meloetta is actually still unavailable on PS. Someone should tell the guy who runs it to make her available.
Actually, for some strange reason, Meloetta is a genderless pokemon. Why they didn't give one to a clearly feminine pokemon while making Heatran, a tortoise magma lump thing available as both is beyond me.

While Jolteon is pretty great for checking..... a ton of shit, I don't think you can call it a counter to Tornadus and Thundurus. Both Therians are able to 2HKO it with Focus Blast or Superpower (LO needed). I mean, it can switch in and fire off an attack at them, but it only gets one shot at checking them, which makes it too unreliable to be called a counter imo.
Yeah, that's why i said it was almost a counter. It can take their usual moves with ease, but if the opponent can predict correctly on the switch in, they can defeat Jolteon, although not without taking massive damage themselves. Still, it's a very, very good check for them, arguably the only pokemon that can come that close to countering them both in one set.

Also, Focus Blast is meh, since it misses at least once more often than not, on average in two uses (plus there's the fact that PO supposedly makes misses happen about twice as often).

What exactly can Tornadus, Thunderus or Keldeo do to a specially defensive Dusknoir?

Dusknoir can just switch in, take any hit easily (Focus Blast, Superpower, Hurricane, Thunder, Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump, Surf, HP Ice - nothing will KO it), then hit them with Ice Punch / Thunder Punch or use Pursuit or Will-O-Wisp on the switch. Then you can round the set out with Pain Split and Sucker Punch / Shadow Sneak.

You could use Eviolite Dusclops as well, which would wall them even better, but having a base 100 ATK stat to deal some damage is pretty handy.
Dusknoir is a really shaky check to those threats actually. Keldeo's Hydro Pump cleanly 2HKOes 252/252 Dusknoir in the Rain (Specs always OHKOes after rocks), and the same goes for Thundurus-T's Thunder. Even if it could take two hits, it's not going to be doing much back, unless you actually invest in attack, which is stupid. All of them are at least bulky enough to take 2 uninvested super effective hits from Dusknoir, and don't even need to since it won't get in 2 hits anyway.

Dusknoir is a pretty underrated pokemon, but he works best in UU tanking physical hits, revenge killing stuff with Shadow Sneak (saved me more times than I can count), and massacring stupid Houndoom and Chandelure switch ins with Earthquake. The special attackers in OU are just too much for his pathetic HP to handle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)