Battle Spot Teambuilding Discussion & Help Thread (read post #453, page 19)

It's just weird to me to blindly copy EV spreads without knowing what they were designed for. Like I know I run enough speed on my Uxie to outspeed Jolly Tyranitar, so I know what I can and can't outrun. I run just enough defense to not get KOed by fake out/return by mega Kangaskhan. THat Porygon spread is especially weird to me, as you use a +def nature and then don't invest in defense.
To confirm - I'm a noob.

And I read up on it and the reasoning at the time was sound enough for me to copy it. Just can't remember specifics.

Jolly Scarfchomp is amazing and if it fits use it. Use Rock Slide on Scarf variants because Rock Tomb may not even score the KOs you need...

Mega Gengar is all about being the biggest dick possible. Try a Perish Song bulky Gar with Protect and Wisp or Sub. Mega Banette might get more use out of Destiny Bond compared to Mega Gengar in my opinion.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
I'm actually on the other side of the fence from BWong in this situation. I tend to read and use a lot of EV spreads from competitive websites as well. I'll admit, Yakkun is a new one on my list, but I'm old hat at borrowing sets from Smogon (especially OU), Nugget Bridge, and Eggy Emporium in particular. Most of those spreads aren't intended primarily for Battle Spot, and so are a bit weaker than spreads personally designed based on experience, but when you're operating in a knowledge or experience vacuum, using something that someone else is willing to vouch for, or that is legitimately commonly used is a stronger option than attempting to generate spreads yourself.

Ghost_V2 I'd recommend experimenting with the existing sets, and as you gain experience, refine them to suit your playstyle and what in particular threatens your team.

I'm actually on the other side of the fence from BWong in this situation. I tend to read and use a lot of EV spreads from competitive websites as well. I'll admit, Yakkun is a new one on my list, but I'm old hat at borrowing sets from Smogon (especially OU), Nugget Bridge, and Eggy Emporium in particular. Most of those spreads aren't intended primarily for Battle Spot, and so are a bit weaker than spreads personally designed based on experience, but when you're operating in a knowledge or experience vacuum, using something that someone else is willing to vouch for, or that is legitimately commonly used is a stronger option than attempting to generate spreads yourself.

Ghost_V2 I'd recommend experimenting with the existing sets, and as you gain experience, refine them to suit your playstyle and what in particular threatens your team.
I agree that when you are new taking someone else's spreads is probably a good idea, but as you play, learn what hurts and what helps and tailor your spreads to your playstyle.

Okay, here's my finalised Season 6 team. I'm tearing my hair out over the singles ladder again but at least this time my team isn't so bad that I'm immediately tanking.
once again, on my phone so excuse the lack of formatting. I like rotom h over rotom w. The burn and twave immunity it great. Possibly swap tbolt for pain split? I Will comment on the rest later, on my way out now!

Okay, here's my finalised Season 6 team. I'm tearing my hair out over the singles ladder again but at least this time my team isn't so bad that I'm immediately tanking.
I like your landorus. Have you tried using knock off on it over superpower? I like mega pinsir, but the thing that really holds me back from using him more is his frailness.
Seems like anything that I can't ohko will ko me im return. Also he's a status magnet. I've never liked uturn on Greninja. Possibly HP grass or HP fire? I like the usage of sub on Aegislash. If you can get a sub on the switch then you are golden. Ferrothorn is fine for Ferrothorn, but as you may know I'm not the biggest Ferrothorn fan. How do you deal with mega Charizard X?

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Landorus laughs at Charizard X if I can get it in safely. Assault Vest makes it really good at taking all kinds of hits c: Usually I bring Rotom against it predicting the Charizard Y but Volt Switching out after tanking a hit gives me a free switch out to Landorus or Pinsir so I can get some hits off on it. I honestly haven't run into it often, but I know I have troubles against Fire-types in general, particularly Heatran. I'd kill for an Adamant Landorus with Knock Off... I noticed that EnGarde had one in the distribution...?

U-Turn on Greninja is starting to feel kind of redundant, I agree. I think Dark Pulse would serve me the best somewhere (perhaps replacing Extrasensory for it again?) as a way of doing damage to Aegislash: Water Shuriken or Shadow Sneak would be pretty neat as well for surprise priority. I have no idea what Hidden Power my Greninja has, but I don't think it's a useful one and rebreeding sucks :c

Rebreeding may suck, but if you have to do it, do it. This is a worldwide ladder that won't be pulling any punches.

I even bred a 31/x/30/31/31/31 HP Ice Manectric not because I needed one, but because I wanted to have the option of using one.

Water Shuriken is terribad. Why not Rock Slide if your ninja is Naive? Nasty surprise for an unsuspecting Talonflame or Charizard.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Ghost_V2 Thundurus is the premier anti-prankster, with a blazing fast priority taunt to stop other pranksters cold. Might want to keep it as a safeguard against swagger!bot klefki and others.

I'd kill for an Adamant Landorus with Knock Off... I noticed that EnGarde had one in the distribution...?
Yep, I was going to reply to your message to offer, but I kinda forgot last night... -.- I'll be around kinda late this evening, and can send it then.

I also have the full CCAT triples team, which I'm assuming both you and MythTrainerInfinity will want copies of. Sorry for the delay in posting them, I've just had so many new pokemon to go through recently (almost done, woo!). I can send the full team this evening (kinda late US eastern time) if either of you guys are able to coordinate then to receive. We can coordinate via VM or on my trade thread (link in sig). :)

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ugh, I'm pretty much tied up for the next twelve hours thanks to sleep and then uni after that... it's 1 in the morning here :( Tomorrow night is free for me though, I'll let you know. Thankyou for the offers, I'll give you my old Landorus in exchange for the new one ^_^

Thanks everyone for the input. My Greninja is Timid (and also shiny so I don't want to replace it if I don't need to :p), and between Surf/Ice Beam/Extrasensory it hits all the things it really needs to. Water Shuriken and Shadow Sneak are both bad as damage dealers, I agree, but being able to beat an opposing Sashmon 1-on-1 would be great and such situations have come up before. In any case, I'm going to try shifting a few things round and seeing what does and doesn't work c:

Technically speaking shinies take unnecessary seconds off the timer which can suck if someone tries to stall you. I would rebreed that Greninja. With how the Battle Spot is you will probably rely on a priority move more than you think. If Greninja misses a key KO on an Adamant Talonflame or something... You will wanna kick yourself.

Yes, please o3o EnGarde

Ok so I initially made this Battle Spot Singles team for a challenge, but then it started working amazingly, I'd love your feedback guys, just to improve it.

Lucario-Mega (M) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Ice Punch
I don't really know why I added Mega Lucario, I think I use it as a back up mega for those occasions when Mega Manectric will have trouble, with 1 SD it can smash entire teams, too bad it can't really take hits, other than that it's an OP pokemon.

Talonflame (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- U-turn
- Will-O-Wisp
This is a must-have pokemon, with a powerful STAB banded priority brave bird, this pokemon can OHKO/2HKO most of the meta.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Thunder Wave
Ferrothorn is just amazing, it can deal a great ammount of damage without attacking (:o), prefect for sneaky little mega kanga and any other physical attacker.

Greninja (M) @ Wise Glasses
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dark Pulse
This little ninja hits hard, ice beam for really common ground/dragon/flying types, hydro pump it's just a strong attack, I used to have u-turn for momentum but decided to add alittle HP fire for ferrothorn.

Garchomp (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
ScarfedChomp, scarf used to outspeed everything, hits hard and has enough bulk to live a banded brave bird from talon, putting fire blast just in case some ferrothorn appears.

Manectric-Mega (M) @ Manectite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Basically the main reason I decided to make this team. Manectric is an amazing pokemon, it gets that speed boost + intimidate when it mega evolves, I have HP Ice for the biggest threats like Lando/Garchomp/Salamence/etc, Overheat just to hit ferrothorn/any other grass/bug/ice type hard, and its great STAB attacks TBolt and Volt Switch.

Any feedback would be awesome. :]

I would go with Life Orb over glasses on greninja. Greninja is a mon that wants all the power it can get.

I've never been a fan of the Twave + Gyro Ball combo either. Gyro Ball feels like a waste of a move if you're going to be throwing out para's.

Everything else looks pretty good, solid team. :)

I would go with Life Orb over glasses on greninja. Greninja is a mon that wants all the power it can get.

I've never been a fan of the Twave + Gyro Ball combo either. Gyro Ball feels like a waste of a move if you're going to be throwing out para's.

Everything else looks pretty good, solid team. :)
So it would look like

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dark Pulse

Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

So it would look like

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dark Pulse

Relaxed Nature
- Gyro Ball
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect
you already have ice beam what do you need HP fire for

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
you already have ice beam what do you need HP fire for
Considering Ice Beam and HP fire both only hit grass super effectively, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I would say it's coverage in hitting Ferro/Scizor hard is worth a slot imo. Although against x2 weak mon's then a neutral Dark Pulse / Ice Beam does the same power (with Protean STAB giving 120 BP)

edit: derp on protean. HP fire all the way

Last edited:
Considering Ice Beam and HP fire both only hit grass super effectively, I'm not sure what point you're trying to make. I would say it's coverage in hitting Ferro/Scizor hard is worth a slot imo. Although against x2 weak mon's then a neutral Dark Pulse / Ice Beam does the same power (with Protean STAB giving 120 BP)
A neutral dpulse and ice beam don't do the same. HP fire gets the STAB boost too.

So, I was wondering if someone could help me port this team to the 3DS (As in, what changes I should make)? I was thinking of maybe replacing Hawlucha with Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Mawile, but I'm sure there's definitely a lot of things to change.

So, I was wondering if someone could help me port this team to the 3DS (As in, what changes I should make)? I was thinking of maybe replacing Hawlucha with Mega Kangaskhan or Mega Mawile, but I'm sure there's definitely a lot of things to change.
Was this team made for battle spot? Because stealth rocks and rapid spin are reallly unnecessary in BS.

EnGarde

Not Dead Yet
Haha, I wasn't sure what you meant by "port"; many people play OU on cartridge, so I was confused if that's what you were interested in doing. Did you want to play using XY or ORAS? Because our advice will be very different depending on which you plan to play on. Which of the metagames were you interested in pursuing?

Also, as pointed out, stealth rocks and rapid spin are the first things to go on your team. Not very useful in battle spot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)