Other 6th Gen Pokemon OU Candidate Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lucario is poweful but it still only has 112 speed and 70 sp def so greninja, starmie and gengar all outspeed it and can OHKO it with their powerful STABs.
Only 112 base Speed. Only. Yeah, sure. Lucario is easily the best non-Kangaskhan Mega right now. It is unpredictable, very hard to wall, very, very fast, and has strong priority and great boosting moves. Other than Lucario, Kanga, Mawile, Pinsir, and Xzard, none of the Megas are really outstanding in OU to be honest. The only way they really make up for their loss of item is a better ability, type change, or increase in bulk or speed. Other than that, they really aren't that remarkable.

Only 112 base Speed. Only. Yeah, sure. Lucario is easily the best non-Kangaskhan Mega right now. It is unpredictable, very hard to wall, very, very fast, and has strong priority and great boosting moves. Other than Lucario, Kanga, Mawile, Pinsir, and Xzard, none of the Megas are really outstanding in OU to be honest. The only way they really make up for their loss of item is a better ability, type change, or increase in bulk or speed. Other than that, they really aren't that remarkable.
You definitely forgot YZard there. that thing wrecks face, its probably more Viable than Mawile, and Mawile is REALLY good. i can see Venusaur being the Mega of choice on stall teams, with its access to Synthesis in an environment not raped by rain, leech seed and more. I also see Blastoise being a premier spinner, with its access to as good as STAB Dark Pulse i expect Blastoise as the best spinner in the tier if your willing to forego your Mega for it, to allow things like Talonflame, Volcarona and Dragonite to sweep easier, or indeed stall/bulky teams with the likes of Mandibuzz, Zapdos, Moltres and more. Medicham may make a dent, but it will be tricky to get going. i will agree after that its a bit...meh. i mean some of em work. Gardevoir could make dents if you kill Scizor for example (GardeMag core?) and Manectric is excellent as part of a Volt Turn Core with Lando-T and others. but otherwise i agree the megas are all about UU level. except lol Ampharos. but thats obviously not counting things like MegaTTar who is surprisingly good as a DD mon, Gyarados and its mind games, Scizor as a bulky set up sweeper and support, Garchomp the wall breaker. the megas of already viable mons gives them new Utility too.

theres no bad mega, they are just outclassed by other stuff. except lolAlakasam, completely outclassed by its normal version.

anyway what do you guys think of Avalugg in OU? i feel once Mega Luke and Genesect go (And they will) he will be pretty decent, despite that Horrid ice typing.

tough claws stone edge is stronger than icicle spear,
No, it's not. It doesn't get the Tough Claws boost. It's not a contact move.

On a side note, I definitely disagree about Greninja.
It has flawless STAB type coverage meaning no matter what move you click, unless its something along the lines of a blissey, it's going to take disgusting amounts of damage.
Also, with proper prediction, it can 2hko if not OHKO every pokemon on a standard offensive team. This is a huge threat to the most used playstyle in the game, Mindless Hyper Offense. And with such speed it's a mammoth of a task to revenge kill it. Priority and sticky web are essentially the only way an offensive team can revenge kill this monstrosity.

Also, with proper prediction, it can 2hko if not OHKO every pokemon on a standard offensive team.
Pretty much any offensive OU pokemon can do that. And offensive teams rely more on checks than counters.

Of course people talk as if lucario is at +2 atk, +2 spatk with bullet punch, espeed, and vacuum wave so idk. Might be a bit too good.

I think that Tyrantrum may be a cadidate to make OU, but more likely not imo. It's stats are OK, with 82 / 121 / 119 / 69 / 59 / 71, where attack and defense are great but Sp.A, Sp.Def and Speed all leave you hanging. Although you wont likely be using Sp.A, the one that may hurt out T-Rex friend the most is Speed. 71. That doesn't look like OU material to me. BUT, that attack stat is great, and with two great abilities, In Strong Jaw (mainly for crunch) and rock head (STAB HEAD SMASH THOUGH), it can be threat offensively. Maybe the best way to go with it would be a bulky band, with max hp and atk, or scarf with max speed and atk. It also has access to Stealth Rock, which is great considering not a whole lot of gen 6 pokemon do, maybe none other that Tyrantrum. You run a tank like set, with maybe SR/Dragon Tail/Head smash/ Earthqake with rock head. It also has Rock/Dragon typing, which while unique, is not the greatest defensively or offensively, with the introduction of Faires (Tyrantrum gets screwed by Mega Mawile ;-;) and the fact that its STABs are walled by Steel types.

Overall, i think Tyrantrum will end up UU, or around there. Depending on the position of other pokemon, it could likely fall to RU or rise up to OU (OU is extremely unlikely imo). It has great attack power, physical defense, and good abilities but it's speed and typing are just not good enough for OU, among other reasons which i explained. *Feel free to post your response and your opinion on the tiering of Tyrantrum* :3

Ping_Pong_Along

Bitches love underscores
I've used Mega Lucario on a couple of teams. It might be that I just didn't have the right support for him, but I didn't find him super amazing. He's only super fast once he's gotten to mega evolve and his lack of bulk really hurts him. I also haven't had much of an issue up against this guy either. Earthquake and any fire type attack (which I pack plenty of in this meta) take him out extremely easily. Again, maybe I'm just not seeing what others are seeing.

anyway what do you guys think of Avalugg in OU? i feel once Mega Luke and Genesect go (And they will) he will be pretty decent, despite that Horrid ice typing.
Maybe, but probably not. There's no guarantee those two will be banned, and even if they are, fire and steel type moves are more common than ever (Talonflame, Charizard, multiple steel types, dragons carrying fire punch and iron tail, etc.). Ice is still a terrible defensive type and probably shouldn't be used on a defensive pokemon. There's a reason the only OU ice type was Mamoswine last gen

I think that Tyrantrum may be a cadidate to make OU, but more likely not imo. It's stats are OK, with 82 / 121 / 119 / 69 / 59 / 71, where attack and defense are great but Sp.A, Sp.Def and Speed all leave you hanging. Although you wont likely be using Sp.A, the one that may hurt out T-Rex friend the most is Speed. 71. That doesn't look like OU material to me. BUT, that attack stat is great, and with two great abilities, In Strong Jaw (mainly for crunch) and rock head (STAB HEAD SMASH THOUGH), it can be threat offensively. Maybe the best way to go with it would be a bulky band, with max hp and atk, or scarf with max speed and atk. It also has access to Stealth Rock, which is great considering not a whole lot of gen 6 pokemon do, maybe none other that Tyrantrum. You run a tank like set, with maybe SR/Dragon Tail/Head smash/ Earthqake with rock head. It also has Rock/Dragon typing, which while unique, is not the greatest defensively or offensively, with the introduction of Faires (Tyrantrum gets screwed by Mega Mawile ;-;) and the fact that its STABs are walled by Steel types.

Overall, i think Tyrantrum will end up UU, or around there. Depending on the position of other pokemon, it could likely fall to RU or rise up to OU (OU is extremely unlikely imo). It has great attack power, physical defense, and good abilities but it's speed and typing are just not good enough for OU, among other reasons which i explained. *Feel free to post your response and your opinion on the tiering of Tyrantrum* :3
Tyrantrum is not dropping to RU lol, no chance of that. Once Rock Head is released, Tyrantrum will have a far more powerful STAB attack than Terrakion (Recoilless Head Smash packs 50% more power than Stone Edge with no downfalls), with nearly as much attack and far better defensive typing and defense than Terrakion. Also, Tyrantrum gets Earthquake, which covers Steel types outside of Skarmory (hint, use Head Smash) and Bronzong.

Will it be OU worthy? I'd say so. It does have weaknesses to common priority, but Terrakion was able to be a massive threat despite that and Tyrantrum has much higher Defense to the point where it can actually take an attack and hit back. That speed is a bit of a bummer, but it does have access to Dragon Dance and it would certainly be viable with a Scarf, so I'd say that Tyrantrum is looking to be a contender in OU, even if it doesn't make the cutoff.

Maybe, but probably not. There's no guarantee those two will be banned, and even if they are, fire and steel type moves are more common than ever (Talonflame, Charizard, multiple steel types, dragons carrying fire punch and iron tail, etc.).
Nobody runs iron tail because it is a terrible move on pretty much everything that gets it.

Greninja and Aegislash definitely will make it into OU. Togekiss and Azumarill will thanks to their new typing. Talonflame will be OU because of Gale Wings prioritising Brave Bird, Roost and Tailwind, however Talonflame is easily countered by Tyranitar unless it runs steel wing, which some sets may not have room to run it. All Megas will definitely be OU with the exception of Mega Mewtwo, Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar and most likely Mega Khangaskhan which are Ubers. As for other pokemon from 5th gen, most likely all pokemon that were OU last gen will be OU this gen. However Toxicroak, Vaporeon, Ferrothorn, Metagross and Jirachi might see a tier drop due to Steel and weather nerf. Politoed and Ninetales are still useful, you just have to be strategic about it, I still use weather teams this gen which is still effective if you know how to play them right.
I don't see why Vaporeons usage will drop that much. It's not like you can't just run water absorb instead. It still packs huge wishes, walls things well and has scald. And phazing in yawn/roar.

Tyrantrum is not dropping to RU lol, no chance of that. Once Rock Head is released, Tyrantrum will have a far more powerful STAB attack than Terrakion (Recoilless Head Smash packs 50% more power than Stone Edge with no downfalls), with nearly as much attack and far better defensive typing and defense than Terrakion. Also, Tyrantrum gets Earthquake, which covers Steel types outside of Skarmory (hint, use Head Smash) and Bronzong.

Will it be OU worthy? I'd say so. It does have weaknesses to common priority, but Terrakion was able to be a massive threat despite that and Tyrantrum has much higher Defense to the point where it can actually take an attack and hit back. That speed is a bit of a bummer, but it does have access to Dragon Dance and it would certainly be viable with a Scarf, so I'd say that Tyrantrum is looking to be a contender in OU, even if it doesn't make the cutoff.
I believe you mean if rock head gets released. If it does, then I agree with most of what you said. Its too good to be RU, so UU seems to be its destined home. In OU it could easily get some scarfed sets, but DD is done better by so many other pokemon I don't thing that set will be popular.

Nobody runs iron tail because it is a terrible move on pretty much everything that gets it.
Do I disagree that its a terrible move? Not at all. But some dragons do run it to cover fairies. Salamence is the one I've seen it on most, but I've seen it on a couple of others too. It might be because the meta game's still reasonably young (and on showdown I'm only in the 1600s, so I still play plenty of noobs), but I've seen it enough that I felt the need to mention it. Even if they stop running it, there's more than enough fire type moves to make Avalugg hate life

I've used Mega Lucario on a couple of teams. It might be that I just didn't have the right support for him, but I didn't find him super amazing. He's only super fast once he's gotten to mega evolve and his lack of bulk really hurts him. I also haven't had much of an issue up against this guy either. Earthquake and any fire type attack (which I pack plenty of in this meta) take him out extremely easily. Again, maybe I'm just not seeing what others are seeing.
i'm in the same boat here. always been a little underwhelmed by mega lucario. I have used him as a late game cleaner, and he is almost outclassed by DDnite

I think Cloyster and Kyurem-B would like to have a word with you...
Woops, did forget about Cloyster. Kyurem-B started out banned and only later was allowed, and since we're at that stage of the meta right now I consciously didn't count him. Thanks for that catch. Not completely sure what I was thinking.

Anyway, they both kinda help make my point, ice is a terrible typing for defensive purposes, especially on its own, and Avalugg doesn't have the tools to be a threat (117 base atk is fine, but what are you gonna do with it?)

Greninja is easy to kill- he's like starmie with slightly more power, but no rapid spin (which was a big reason for me to even use starmie last gen).

It's not like everything he shoots for is a 2hko - one misprediction, and there is no 2hko, while his squishiness means he's threatened with an easy ko back.

Not saying he's horrible at all, but i seriously think he's overhyped. I've seen so many of them, and none of them really stood out as a threat. I even saw this awkward atk version of it, and it wasn't that powerful either.

One of Terrakion's biggest assets is his speed, which Tyrantrum sorely lacks.

I mean, Aggron had recoilless headsmash too, but his crap speed and bad defensive typing meant he couldn't lift past RU last gen.

Greninja is easy to kill- he's like starmie with slightly more power, but no rapid spin (which was a big reason for me to even use starmie last gen).

It's not like everything he shoots for is a 2hko - one misprediction, and there is no 2hko, while his squishiness means he's threatened with an easy ko back.

Not saying he's horrible at all, but i seriously think he's overhyped. I've seen so many of them, and none of them really stood out as a threat. I even saw this awkward atk version of it, and it wasn't that powerful either.
It also gets STAB on every move, which means it's a lot easier to get those 2HKOes. It can OHKO Dragonite through Multiscale, which not even CB Guts Conkeldurr can do when statused with Ice Punch. Also if you switch in something to kill it it can either U-Turn out or just switch. No one uses physical Greninja anyways. It doesn't get Rapid Spin, but offensive spinners aren't quite that good this gen thanks to stuff like Aegislash, Trevenant, and Gourgeist.

Is he overhyped? Hell yes. Is he dying? Only to Life Orb recoil, as you are not staying in if the opponent just switched a Gengar or Starmie into you.

Also he can run a Scarf decently well, letting it revenge kill pretty much everything.

Specially defensive Venusaur walls special attacking Lucario, whereas physical lucario is walled by Trevenant if it lacks Crunch which most do because of Aegislash.

Tyranturm isn't going to be OU. It's high attack and high defense is all flash due to its low speed pretty much forcing it to run choice scarf if you want it to be useful at all. Rock and Dragon isn't particularly good defensive wise buts its also not horrible. If you take a look at all the pokemon with high attack and high defense and then see why its other Rock type competitors they aren't OU you'll soon see why Tyrantrum won't be OU probably not even UU.

Aggron got recoiless head smash as well as coverage in EQ but it was RU too and it has very similar stats to Tyrantrum.

RU, BL2 at best. Tyrantrum isn't OU material for sure. The best it can do is Dragon Dance and Head Smash, and Aggron does that already, but with Rock Polish or Automotize. If your main competition is something like Aggron, it's not looking good for you in OU.

RU, BL2 at best. Tyrantrum isn't OU material for sure. The best it can do is Dragon Dance and Head Smash, and Aggron does that already, but with Rock Polish or Automotize. If your main competition is something like Aggron, it's not looking good for you in OU.
especially since now Aggron gets a mega.

D
Specially defensive Venusaur walls special attacking Lucario, whereas physical lucario is walled by Trevenant if it lacks Crunch which most do because of Aegislash.
either specially defensive venusaur or trev are walling both spa and phy mega luke.
we already know there are counters to specific sets to mega luke.
there has YET to be a pokemon/set that wall both spa and phy mega luke, which is one of the main reasons why mega luke is so fearsome.

you can keep on going and making it look as if mega luke isn't that big of a deal, but it is.
go on to the irc and talk with the highly-rated players and see what they think about mega luke.

furthermore, 112 speed tier is incredibly trollish this generation.
it's similar to garchomp's troll speed in gen 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)