Other 6th Gen Pokemon OU Candidate Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abomasnow may end up UU, especially since weather isn't perma anyone, and I know its mega has scary attack stats but it's slow as dirt and remember that it can't hold an item to boost those stats. 132/132 is still weaker than 100/100 with life orb, which multiple things have in UU. It's still weak to all hazards (except sticky web I guess), and still has one of the absolute worst defensive typings possible.

Manectric is probably UU too, it's pretty outclassed by Raikou unless you really like overheat, but then again overheat makes it setup bait after a kill. Raikou has better bulk, doesn't take a mega spot, can run way more sets, is able to hold different items, etc. I just don't see any reason to run manectric unless you really want your electric type to outspeed base 116+ pokemon.

Aero is probably the closest either way, although I wouldn't be surprised if they BL'd even if the usage stats didn't make it OU. It's weak to priority, but that's what teammates are for. It's weak to rocks, but learns roost. Tough claws helps give it great coverage, but the coverage moves (fangs and such) themselves aren't that strong. Hard to say, hard to say....
Aerodactyl doesn't have much that Tough Claws boosts. Stone Edge, Rock Slide, Earthquake, etc. are not boosted, so it's stuck with stuff like Aerial Ace, Iron Head, Crunch, and Double-Edge for Tough Claws. I really can't see it doing that much damage even with Tough Claws.

Manectric is a good speedy pivot with Intimidate and its Speed, as well as Lightningrod the first time you come in. Volt Switch lets you switch between Manectric and something like Gyarados to abuse Intimidates. However, its stats are not too good outside of Speed, as without an LO its Special Attack is quite manageable.

Mega Abomasnow is an interesting option for Trick Room teams, for sure. It's also very usable on normal teams, but now that Hail teams are completely dead, Mega Abomasnow doesn't really bring much to the table, especially in a metagame dominated by Fire-types. I daresay it's even bad enough for RU this gen, because 132/132, while good for RU, is mediocre compared to CB Entei, LO Hitmonlee, CB Medicham, LO Clefable (may move up), CB Durant, LO Vivillon, etc., and some of the aforementioned can set up, while Mega Abomasnow can't. Also those defensive stats are some of the biggest wastes in the history of wastes, coming with the second worst defensive typing in existence.

As for the other Megas, only Charizard, Mawile, Lucario, Pinsir, Tyranitar, Scizor, Garchomp, Gyarados, or maybe Absol would have chances at OU this gen. Charizard hits really hard with Fire Blast, and you'd better have a Fire resist with you. Mawile hits super hard. Lucario can sweep with SD or NP. Pinsir is a really good SD sweeper. Tyranitar, Scizor, Garchomp, and Gyarados are OU without their Megas, and the former three won't even use them most of the time. Absol...it has Magic Bounce I guess? And 150/115/115 offenses are nice, but it's relying on Sucker Punch for its STAB...

Mega Abomasnow is an interesting option for Trick Room teams, for sure. It's also very usable on normal teams, but now that Hail teams are completely dead, Mega Abomasnow doesn't really bring much to the table, especially in a metagame dominated by Fire-types.
What makes you so sure that the UU metagame will be dominated by fire-types?

I don't see Mawile or Absol making OU. Mawile requires good team mates such as a cleric to heal burning and is very weak to anything that can use an earthquake stab and it's also very slow. I've used it a bit myself although in the time I've spent on Showdown it's one of the least used megas imo. Absol on the other hand has good potential as a lead pokemon but other than that it's kinda useless, expecially if you rely on dragons because it adds another weakness to fairy types. The others you mentioned stand a good chance though expecially with a speed boost team mate.

I don't think abomasnow is quite bad enough for RU, despite its abysmal typing and speed. It's not going to be sweeping teams any time soon, except maybe under TR, but its more than good enough to come in on bulky water/ground types (of which there are plenty of in UU) and proceed to force switches. Swapping into blizzard or EQ (I think a mixed set would be best) is going to take its toll on pokemon especially combined with further residual damage from hail itself. The main thing mega-abomasnow needs to keep in mind is that it will need a slight speed creep however to avoid getting roasted by fire blast from slowbro.

It also has a good niche against manual rain, which is quite the threat in UU (RD kingdra and friends are not fun to deal with in any sense of the word) though kabutops and tonadus I can force switches if they can get in safely and reset weather.

Edit: As for the comment about UU being dominated by fire types being questionable, I'm going with that they will share dominance with another type, either dragon or fighting. The fire types that are in UU are extremely hard to tank, even with type resistance due to high attacking stats, powerful coverage moves, or a combination of both. I'd be debating the use of choice-locked fire types this gen (well other than CB Victini), but they are still incredibly hard to deal with, and will probably only need minor changes to deal with the new meta to still be deadly threats.

Last edited:
I don't see Mawile or Absol making OU. Mawile requires good team mates such as a cleric to heal burning and is very weak to anything that can use an earthquake stab and it's also very slow. I've used it a bit myself although in the time I've spent on Showdown it's one of the least used megas imo. Absol on the other hand has good potential as a lead pokemon but other than that it's kinda useless, expecially if you rely on dragons because it adds another weakness to fairy types. The others you mentioned stand a good chance though expecially with a speed boost team mate.
Mawile isn't anywhere close to being the least used mega. It got fairly good usage last month which will likely increase if when mega kanga gets banned. Also something can't be less used "imo". Usage is based on stats, not personal experience.

What makes you so sure that the UU metagame will be dominated by fire-types?
It already did last gen, and now it's even easier to keep stealth rocks, the best counter to darminitan / victini / chanderlure etc, off the field. Should ninetails drop somehow, it could be bonkers with auto sun V-creates and overheats.

I agree on absol too, even in UU something like hitmontop has no problem switching into it, intimidating it, and wacking it with mach punch. Considering things like conklerdurr and its massive mach punches could drop too, absol isn't even that scary in UU. Scarf heracross (I believe hera was #1 in usage, with scarf being a top two set) outspeeds it and revenges with close combat.

Mawile isn't anywhere close to being the least used mega. It got fairly good usage last month which will likely increase if when mega kanga gets banned. Also something can't be less used "imo". Usage is based on stats, not personal experience.
I said one of the least used megas, not the least used mega... Anyway I like Mawile, but I've only seen a few people use it other than myself. I think it'll make BL because other pokemon like Cloyster and Mamoswine can still easily destroy dragons without much team support.

I said one of the least used megas, not the least used mega...
Which is still an entirely false statement. Here is a list of megas (in no particular order) that are used less than mawile:

Aerodactyl
Ampharos
Houndoom
Banette
Manectric
Medicham
Gardevoir
Blastoise
Aggron
Absol
Abomasnow
Heracross

I think it'll make BL because other pokemon like Cloyster and Mamoswine can still easily destroy dragons without much team support.
Cloyster and Mamoswine will have roughly the same effect on Mawile's usage as Magikarp will: absolutely none. They are entirely different pokemon with different roles in the metagame.

Last edited:
You do know that Dragalgae's hidden ability is Adaptibility, right? Adaptibility Draco Meteor plus Adaptibility Sludge Bomb to remove fairies, plus coverage moves to prosper under rain...This thing would be a top offensive threat in OU

Which is still an entirely false statement. Here is a list of megas (in no particular order) that are used less than mawile:

Aerodactyl
Ampharos
Houndoom
Banette
Manectric
Medicham
Gardevoir
Blastoise
Aggron
Absol
Abomasnow
Heracross
Based on recent statistics (and not just an assumption) Mawile is currently sitting at spot 35 which isn't far off from the other megas that you believe are among the least used.

46. Pinsir
47. Blastoise
53. Gardevoir
68. Aggron
70. Abol
76. Medicham
89. Areodactyl
92. Ampharos
93. Manetric
100. Banette
105. Houndoom
113. Abomasnow

I think that's most of them...

So compared to other megas like Kangaskhan, Tyranitar, Garchomp etc which dominate the OU battle ground on Showdown Mawile see's little use. This could of course change over the next few months but that's how it is at the moment.

Based on recent statistics (and not just an assumption) Mawile is currently sitting at spot 35 which isn't far off from the other megas that you believe are among the least used.
No, I was simply listing megas that are lower in usage than mawile. Not commenting that they are "the least used." Don't put words in my mouth.

So compared to other megas like Kangaskhan, Tyranitar, Garchomp etc which dominate the OU battle ground on Showdown Mawile see's little use. This could of course change over the next few months but that's how it is at the moment.
Tyranitar and Garchomp are more common without their mega forms. Anyway, my point still stands - Mawile is not among the least used megas.

One pokemon I hope to see as OU once again is dugtrio. right now it seems that he will fall to the UU, but I currently using him and he still a great pokemon. He having hard time with the new fast threats and the facts that the rotoms are everywhere, but its all about finding the right pray, and there still planty of those(especially now that excadrill is not banned anymore and getting plenty of use).

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
One pokemon I hope to see as OU once again is dugtrio.
He very well could. Genesect + Dugtrio was a solid strat last gen, and Heatran looks like it's going to be even more clutch this gen.

I really wish that people would use Mega Mawile more often. Maybe once Kanga gets booted upstairs, it might become more common. Mawile's power, great defensive typing, and Sucker Punch are undeniably good. Sure it's slow, but so is Choice Band Azumarill.

I've been trying out Mega Banette recently, and bloody hell it's useful. Taunt, WoW, Destiny Bond, and Shadow Claw/Sneak. Ghost typing is great, and it has all the makings of a top utility mon. Base 165 Attack with Ghost STAB ensures that it doesn't just sit there like Whimsicott or Meowstic... or Klefki, for that matter.

Dugtrio is OU worthy, as the best trapper in the game, seeing that Mega Gengar is going up to Uber. However, it'll rarely get any more than one kill a game, so it'll have to be used well, as usual

Greninja and Aegislash definitely will make it into OU. Togekiss and Azumarill will thanks to their new typing. Talonflame will be OU because of Gale Wings prioritising Brave Bird, Roost and Tailwind, however Talonflame is easily countered by Tyranitar unless it runs steel wing, which some sets may not have room to run it. All Megas will definitely be OU with the exception of Mega Mewtwo, Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar and most likely Mega Khangaskhan which are Ubers. As for other pokemon from 5th gen, most likely all pokemon that were OU last gen will be OU this gen. However Toxicroak, Vaporeon, Ferrothorn, Metagross and Jirachi might see a tier drop due to Steel and weather nerf. Politoed and Ninetales are still useful, you just have to be strategic about it, I still use weather teams this gen which is still effective if you know how to play them right.

I'm sorry, Dragalgae doesn't look any better than RU to me. Explain this.

Aegislash is almost guaranteed OU. Zyguard is BL at worst, same with Greninja. Talonflame will be high UU, so will Delphox and maybe Avalugg. Goodra is high UU at worst as well.
Dragargle might be UU due to Adaptability and a decent typing and pretty ok stats, but I thinks it's too good for RU. Delphox is surprisingly useful actually I think it may see the light of at least BL. Being able to attack and take an opponents item in the same turn is really good as well as its good coverage, access to Psyshock for pokes like Blissey and Sylveon and getting Switcheroo to take say a Toxic Orb from Gliscor completely shutting it down and then switching the toxic orb to something else that doesnt appreciate Toxic while taking theirs is very very effective. I've been putting my Delphox set to work and it is very good definetly worth a mention in the metagame. Avalugg may not even make it into UU. Torkal has high defenses AND access to rapid spin but was shunned from any higher tier due to its typing. Avalugg has a few saving graces in its abilities Ice Body which is bascially rain dish in hail and also having the benefit of having hail damage your opponent, and if you don't want to run Ice Body it also has access to Sturdy. Zygarde is pretty bad so BL is probably where it will stay as the only thing that really gives it a niche over Garchomp is Extreme Speed. Greninja will most likely be OU because of Protean. STAB for every attack it learns is very good and it can run a plethora, and I mean a plethora of sets that make Greninja viable. It can physical attacking sets, special sets, mixed sets, suicide leads and it has a great move pool to back it up. Toxic spikes, spikes, hydro pump, ice beam, grass know, hidden power, u-turn, mat block, shadow sneak, extrasensory, night slash, dark pulse, rock slide and acrobactics means it can run a lot of sets. It's stats arent too bad either. 95/103 is very solid, not great but enough so that it can do work and 122 speed means it can outspeed nearly all unboosted pokes with the exception of Jolteon. Also due to its very expansive movepool a lot of things have diffuculty walling it so keep that in mind too.

Last edited:
All Megas will definitely be OU with the exception of Mega Mewtwo, Mega Blaziken, Mega Gengar and most likely Mega Khangaskhan which are Ubers.
Not likely, when you still have absurdly powerful things like Lucario. I think besides that and Khan, I've only seen Charizard (either one), Pinsir, and Mawile except on the low-ladder.

All Megas are viable. Not all Megas are OU viable.

With all the priority, high offenses and threats running around OU, some Megas just aren't worth running.

Gardevoir: Physically frail, susceptible to Bullet Punch, Shadow Sneak, Talonflame Brave Bird.
Aggron: Needs a lot of Wish support, and doesn't like being Burned by all the WoWs and Scalds thrown around OU.
Abomasnow: Needs a dedicated team, and even then a bit underwhelming. Weak to Mach Punch, Bullet Punch, Vacuum Wave, Talonflame.
Houndoom: Recoil, weak to SR, very predictable. Weak to Mach Punch.
Heracross: Doesn't like Talonflame, is pretty slow. Can work on Baton Pass chains though.
Ampharos: Slow, damage isn't amazing enough in OU.
Banette: Terrible defenses, 4MSS, pretty much can only use one attack, usually Ghost.
Absol: Great offenses but struggles to find a time to MEvo without dying.
Medicham: Weak to Talonflame, 100 speed isn't what it used to be.
Aerodactyl: Great speed, but wtf is with that Ability that doesn't do shit for it.

And then we have stuff like Scizor, Garchomp, Tyranitar which are pretty good, but usually not worth running over their regular forms.

The only real Megas I see OU viable besides obvious Lucario are Mawile, Charizards, Blastoise, Pinsir, Venusaur, and now Manectric, who is surprisingly great in Volt-turn teams paired with Landorus-T.

Edit: Now I didn't say that those Megas can't be used in OU, just they won't probably be tiered as OU as time goes on.

Not likely, when you still have absurdly powerful things like Lucario. I think besides that and Khan, I've only seen Charizard (either one), Pinsir, and Mawile except on the low-ladder.
Lucario is poweful but it still only has 112 speed and 70 sp def so greninja, starmie and gengar all outspeed it and can OHKO it with their powerful STABs.

Lucario is poweful but it still only has 112 speed and 70 sp def so greninja, starmie and gengar all outspeed it and can OHKO it with their powerful STABs. Also Mawile is fairly easy to counter, a fast fire type that can take a Sucker Punch can easily OHKO Mega Mawile, same with Mega Pinsir. Charizard is shit on by rock types especially Golem which has access to SR and can hit hard with Stone Edge thanks to a base 110 Attack stat, and it can always take at least one hit from either Charizard, so megas aren't invincible.

Lucario is poweful but it still only has 112 speed and 70 sp def so greninja, starmie and gengar all outspeed it and can OHKO it with their powerful STABs.
bullet punch murders gengar, extremespeed kills starmie/greninja.

All you need is one boost, usually when they switchout after you switch in luke.

Last edited:
However Toxicroak, Vaporeon, Ferrothorn, Metagross and Jirachi might see a tier drop due to Steel and weather nerf. Politoed and Ninetales are still useful, you just have to be strategic about it, I still use weather teams this gen which is still effective if you know how to play them right.
I don't see Ferrothorn dropping anytime soon, even with Talonflame running around. It's pretty much the same as it was last gen. Metagross will probably be BL and Jirachi might go there too. Of course, everything on that list will still be OU viable with the right support.

As for M-Mawile, I see it being low OU if M-Kanga gets banned, and possibly higher if M-Lucario does too. M-Mawile is the second best user of Sucker Punch in OU behind M-Kanga, and its typing makes up for its low speed to an extent and allows it to outclass M-Medicham and hold its own with Azumarill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)