2013 Music

Can we (I) get names for these? I enjoyed two out of the three of these I've actually listened to (Buke & Gase and Rorcal, wasn't too big on Cult of Luna despite liking some of their previous stuff) and 2 are on my to get list (JT and The Knife).
row 1: Nosaj Thing: Home / Njiqahdda: Serpents of the Sky / Cult of Luna: Vertikal / Kongh: Sole Creation / Tegan and Sara: Heartthrob

row 2: Vuvyr: Eiskalt / Buke & Gase: General Dome / Local Natives: Hummingbird / The Black Heart Rebellion: Har Nevo / Primitive Man : Scorn

row 3: Marloneisha: Between Circles & Their Curves / Splashgirl: Field Day Rituals / Rorcal: Világvége / Combat Astronomy: Kundalini Apocalypse / Spektr: Cypher

row 4: Justin Timberlake: The 20/20 Experience (w/ Bonus Tracks) / Agrypnie: Aetas Cineris / CocoRosie: Tales of a Grass Widow / The Knife: Shaking the Habitual / Rhian Sheehan: Stories From Elsewhere

i know that both agrypnie and primitive man are pretty good listens.
fuck yeah they are. \m/

Anyone else really like Shaking The Habitual? Except for it's eyesore of an album cover. It's such a big departure from their last album (I've never listened to that Danish opera they did, so I'm referring to Silent Shout). Very interesting... Still haven't been able to stomach the 20min drone track. Not really as much as the immediate synthpop flare of Silent Shout, but there is something captivating about these songs.

Anyone else really like Shaking The Habitual? Except for it's eyesore of an album cover. It's such a big departure from their last album (I've never listened to that Danish opera they did, so I'm referring to Silent Shout). Very interesting... Still haven't been able to stomach the 20min drone track. Not really as much as the immediate synthpop flare of Silent Shout, but there is something captivating about these songs.
there's 40 minutes of garbage packed into a pail full of delicious cheeseburgers.

fortunately the cheeseburgers are wrapped up, so you can still fish them out and eat the shit out of them.

there's 40 minutes of garbage packed into a pail full of delicious cheeseburgers.

fortunately the cheeseburgers are wrapped up, so you can still fish them out and eat the shit out of them.
Haha. Aside from that bothersome monolith they planted in the middle of the album, the only other song that is really non-listenable to me is Fracking Fluid Injection, and Crake/Oryx are just short interludes and of no interest to me either. A Cherry On Top is not my favourite. The remaining 8 tracks are all ace. Even the 10 minute long tracks like Raging Lung (my favourite), Full Of Fire and Stay Out Here beg to be replayed. There's lots of interesting things going on. Also I like the emphasis on percussion.

For now this is probably my favourite record this year.

Haha. Aside from that bothersome monolith they planted in the middle of the album, the only other song that is really non-listenable to me is Fracking Fluid Injection, and Crake/Oryx are just short interludes and of no interest to me either. A Cherry On Top is not my favourite. The remaining 8 tracks are all ace. Even the 10 minute long tracks like Raging Lung (my favourite), Full Of Fire and Stay Out Here beg to be replayed. There's lots of interesting things going on. Also I like the emphasis on percussion.

For now this is probably my favourite record this year.
i feel the same (though the monolith is technically at the end of the first disc).

wouldn't say it's AotY for me, but it's damn interesting and i've listened to it probably 5 or 6 times in the past few days.

Wrap Your Arms around me is just so motherfucking good.

[youtube]lPC0ZdU9Jqg[/youtube]

james blake's new album comes out today. it is awesome - here is a song with RZA rapping on it!

listened to the new soilwork. as with all their stuff, i was really disappointed. am i the only one who thinks they lean more towards metalcore than melodeath?

on a side note, i found release dates for some metal!

sodom - epitome of torture - april 26th
immolation - kingdom of conspiracy - may 14th
dark tranquillity - construct - may 27th
children of bodom - halo of blood - june 7th
kalmah - seventh swamphony - june 17th
carcass - surgical steel - "later this year" according to rym
devin townsend - casualties of cool - see above

gonna be a good year for metal

Deerhunter and YYY's leaked.

I love Deerhunter to death. One of my favorite bands ever. But this release is just...they sound like they're trying new things and yet it sounds so very safe simultaneously. Maybe it'll grow on me but right now it's quite iffy. I mean the whole album almost sounds like throwaway demos from rainwater cassette exchange (bar a few awesome moment like Neon Junkyard, The Missing, and Monomania.) It's just, as a whole, extremely aimless. Very disappointing since Halcyon Digest is still probably my favorite album of the 2010's so far.

YYY's was pretty solid imo. A few pretty good tracks but nothing that's really gonna blow you away.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
So Iron and Wine's new album, Ghost on Ghost is coming out on Monday. You can listen to it on npr here. Sam Beam's certainly changed a lot from his melancholic simple acoustic guitar songs on his first 2 albums, yet he still has a distinct sound. Still has really nice melodies but he uses much more instruments/musicians which just makes the music a little less same-y than his early stuff. Much more happy-sounding as well, and makes great use of jazz and funk influenced sections. Some rather uplifting songs which are rather hard to find in Iron and Wine's earlier stuff especially pre-Kiss Each Other Clean.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
i agree mostly with the sentiments about the new album from the knife. some of the songs are just ridiculously catchy but a lot of it is kind of trash. when it's good, it's really good, but when it's bad, it's really bad.

overall i enjoy it a lot though

My God! Daft Punks album is shaping up to be the hit of the decade:

[youtube]L7to0wXlFkM[/youtube]

[youtube]mXEJlg9DMe4[/youtube]

Hey y'all remember that band Fall Out Boy? Their new album came out today.
[youtube]1h-F7JYyqM4[/youtube]
Highlights: The Phoenix, Just One Yesterday(mostly because of Foxes), Young Volcanoes, Rat a Tat, and Save Rock and Roll

It's different, it's like experimental pop something? I liked it, just don't expect it to be like Folie a Deux.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)