Zangoose

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This is is 100% walled by ghosts and most steels. Hippopotas and Hitmontop in the meta don't help either. Salac Berry isn't legal outside of DW too. Can't work.

SD Quick Feet Ursaring outclasses it in every way imaginable
Truth. I definitely think the way to go would be Toxic Orb and 4 attacks. Choosing between coverage and priority already sucks on the SD set (lets be honest, not using Facade really isn't an option), and when you consider that this thing is super easy to revenge kill with its crap defenses and 90 base speed, you're much better off going for a hit and run strategy, where the speed is enough to make it a decent wall-breaker. Facade is just powerful enough to always 2HKO Slowbro without Stealth Rock, so maybe there's something there.

Perhaps if that ability can prevent the damage of poison it could be a few more useful for Zangoose, but being it an ability in which you have to use an Toxic orb (and no other item) while your Zangoose are losing more HP each turn, i don´t believe it being too used (and IMO Zangoose is very frail and haven´t enough speed for resisting a set intoxicated and do some damage).
It's like a worse like orb, a CS set is still viable in RU.

Wouldn't it have been awesome if this little guy got Speed Boost like Blaziken or Sharpdeo?

I would probably run this set(in the hope the opponent doesn't have priority):

Lead Zangoose @Focus Sash
Speed Boost
Adamant
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Flail
-Close Combat
-Shadow Claw/Night Slash

Wouldn't it have been awesome if this little guy got Speed Boost like Blaziken or Sharpdeo?

I would probably run this set(in the hope the opponent doesn't have priority):

Lead Zangoose @Focus Sash
Speed Boost
Adamant
252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
-Swords Dance
-Flail
-Close Combat
-Shadow Claw/Night Slash
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

No. (But if it was legal, Night Slash over Shadow Claw)

IF, Zangoose got Extremespeed in DW I would use this thing way more, would be a staple on one of my UU teams. Maybe 6th gen he will.

ES would be the best thing this guy could ever get tbh. Unfortunately right now he's way too frail to do much, since he won't be able to set up an SD with his defenses, and even if he does he's way too easily revenge killed. I love Zangoose though, why couldn't he be like, 100 base speed? That would be awesome D:

This is is 100% walled by ghosts and most steels. Hippopotas and Hitmontop in the meta don't help either. Salac Berry isn't legal outside of DW too. Can't work.
Close Combat and Shadow Claw say hi. Unless there's some sort of ghost/normal I didn't know about?

Salac would be pretty cool if it was released though >.<

ES would be the best thing this guy could ever get tbh. Unfortunately right now he's way too frail to do much, since he won't be able to set up an SD with his defenses, and even if he does he's way too easily revenge killed. I love Zangoose though, why couldn't he be like, 100 base speed? That would be awesome D:

Close Combat and Shadow Claw say hi. Unless there's some sort of ghost/normal I didn't know about?

Salac would be pretty cool if it was released though >.<
imagine next gen, he got an evolution. 73/115/60/60/60/90 are his current stats. I would imagine a spread of 85/126/71/60/74/114
something along those lines would be awesome, and with extreme speed I would use it, even if he didn't get an eve.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
SD Quick Feet Ursaring outclasses it in every way imaginable

+2 toxic boost zangoose vs 252/252 bold milotic (133.50% - 157.11%)

+2 quick feet ursaring vs 252/252 bold milotic (96.95% - 114.47%)

I dont think zangoose is outclassed by ursaring, i think that it has a 43% larger damage output than ursaring that is very significant.

tehy

Banned deucer.
But if you're trying to sweep, which you probably are; you'll need ursaring's higher speed and bulk. Not to mention ursaring can just go guts and destroy zangoose in attack.

For a pokemon whose whole shtick is "I-resist-poison-because-Seviper-is-my-enemy", they could at least give him poison heal.

But if you're trying to sweep, which you probably are; you'll need ursaring's higher speed and bulk. Not to mention ursaring can just go guts and destroy zangoose in attack.
But Ursaring doesn't have high enough speed to go Guts. Unless, of course, you're talking a TR team.

This isn't an Ursaring discussion unfortunately.

Although yeah Zangoose really got trolled hard with Toxic Boost... Guts is probably better because it negates burn attack drop, but eh...

meh, as long as you give him toxic orb, it doesn't really matter.

Zangoose
Item: Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Nature: Jolly / Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Att / 252 Spe
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Shadow Claw / Quick Attack

is a middle way between both of Ursarings sets. Slower but stronger than Quick Feet, Faster but weaker than Guts. IMO When DW Zangoose gets released it will actually be really, really good.

That's cool when you think of it, but Zangoose doesn't really have that many turns to sweep (only 5, assuming the opponent actually does nothing while Zangoose sets up)

Most priority killers do cleave it in half, but eventually its just a matter of stalling for those 5 turns...

I think Zangoose's only shot at being effective is with some sort of wallbreaker set:

Zangoose @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Toxic Boost
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
- Facade
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Shadow Claw / Night Slash

Idk why everyone's making such a big deal about zangoose and p rampage. Sure it gets your attack nice and high but it still dies to so much stuff. Nearly every fighting type in the tier carries a priority attack and can completely eat him especially with hitmonlee becoming more and more popular and then what about the omni-present scarfed darmanitan and krookodile? Sure it does huge damage with a swords dance but it's got a heck of a job getting it up and even then it will often have to switch when hitmontop comes with an upside-evil-grin. Don't get me wrong, I love zangoose (reminiscing over Ruby when he kicked back-side, aahh...) but he'll never hit BL let alone OU.

Sayonara

don't forget
Zangoose is frail, but SD + Quick Attack is amazing. It also gets moves such as Close Combat, that can help deal with Rocks and Steels that resist Quick Attack. As a Sash lead in lower tiers, it does fairly well.

zangoose+p rampage doesn't seem that great. you die in 5 turns and a ghost comes in on one of your stab moves and there goes 20% of your sweep.

Would a toxic orb 4 attacks set work on this guy midgame? I like the idea of offensive pressure midgame and not having moveslot syndrome is great (ghosts don't wall you). I was thinking of using him in NU, just so you know.

Zangoose's 4 attacks set has a larger durability, and he can make a better mindgame. SD set probably works better like a finisher with a brutal power (in NU/RU and maybe UU) and a priority move with STAB.

Btw, he also works like status absorber in offensive teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)