ORAS LC Yellow Magic (a Sweep and atomicllamas collaboration)

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Are you tired of needing real skill in order to win, are you extremely lucky and want to capitalize on your luck, are you literally gayer than hollywood? Well then, Sweep and I have the team for you! We built this team together before the LC open and it ended up goin 8-1 (3-0 by Sweep, 5-1 by atomicllamas).

Comments by Sweep will be in blue while comments by atomicllamas will be in green.

Also here is a random song I've been listening too, idk why sweep let me pick the song.

Both of us were worried about a less skilled player cheesing us out of the open with Baton Pass, so we decided to build around Sub Gastly (which annihilates BP with little effort by simply leading vs. Torchic (and it can switch out of Gothita if necessary). It's also, an extremely destructive wall breaker that functions well against slower teams.

Also Gastly is cute as fuck :D

We wanted to include paralysis support with Gastly, as it is capable of multiple kills if it uses Substitute on a turn where the opponent's Pokemon is fully paralyzed. Naturally, we also wanted Pokemon that could check stuff that can threaten Gastly, such as Abra, Ponyta, and Dark types.
As such, the core of Slowpoke and Cottonee was added. Slowpoke has access to Regenerator, reliable recovery, and t wave, and is able to deal with Ponyta and cripple Abra at full health. Cottonee provided a much needed Dark-resist as well as a primary check to the common Fighting-types in the tier (Mienfoo and Timburr).

Once the Slowpoke / Cottonee core was created, we knew we needed Stealth Rock, a Flying resist, and an answer to opposing Abra, Gastly, and Gothita. We decided to use Scarf Pawniard to trap and remove the aforementioned threats, as well as give the team a boost in Speed. Knock Off support is also useful to help Gastly break by Pokemon like Mienfoo. We used Archen as our Stealth Rock setter, as the team appreciates addition support against Fletchling and Taillow and enjoys the power it provides.

At this point the team was almost complete. However, Chinchou seemed as if it could be extremely annoying, volt switching through the team for free, especially since it comes in on Slowpoke for free. Trace Porygon was added in order to stop Chinchou from Volt Switching and had the additional benefits of T-wave, Recover, being an Abra check, and annoying other cheese teams, such as sun.

The Team

(ghost) (Gastly) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Level: 5
EVs: 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball Hex
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute

Sub LO gastly is an extremely potent threat in the LC meta game. Very few LC Pokemon are capable of switching into LO Gastly. It's useful typing and powerful attacks force a lot of switches, allowing Gastly many opportunities to set up a Substitute. Substitute is also extremely useful on this team as it takes advantage of the free turns that are generated by the generous use of paralysis. Changed Shadow Ball to Hex, because it is less weak to Chespin, and Sludge Bomb is hitting most the non-statused Pokemon harder anyways (thanks Tahu).

Be liberal in using Substitute, especially as the game progresses and more of your opponent's Pokemon fall victim to paralysis. Using Substitute on a slower Pokemon stops mons like Scarf Pawniard from potentially coming in for free. HP Ground is an option to bop Stunky on the switch, but HP Fighting is more reliable to OHKO the more common Eviolite Pawniard.

(flag:KP) (Slowpoke) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 116 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Flamethrower

Slowpoke has excellent synergy with Gastly, as it can check most of the speedy threats in the tier (barring Elekid) that threaten it. Its unique typing and excellent ability allow it to check threats repeatedly throughout the match. It also spreads status via Thunder Wave (which it's great at doing because Ground types are not switching in on this) and lucky Scald burns. In tandem with Cottonee, Smashers have a hard time doing anything to this team because Slowpoke beats or at least cripples most of them 1-1. Slack Off is used for obligatory recovery, and Flamethrower deals good damage to opposing Pawniard and Cottonee without missing like Fire Blast can (remember, THIS team is supposed to be the one that haxes). The given EV spread and Bold nature allows it to take as much punishment from Ponyta and Poison Jab Drilbur as possible.

(clap) (Cottonee) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 140 SpA / 36 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam
- Encore

Cottonee serves as the primary check to Mienfoo, as Slowpoke would prefer not to take a Knock Off and then a U-turn. On top of this, Cottonee's priority Stun Spore is extremely useful, as our team is slow by LC standards barring Gastly and Scarf Pawniard. In some matches, it is very important to conserve Cottonee. Bulk Up Gurdurr and Staryu can both be very hard to deal with if Cottonee is lost too early in the game. In other matches, Cottonee can be played very agressively, switching into potential set up moves and encoring (very useful against smashers), and sacking it in order to get a Stun Spore off on one of the opponent's key Pokemon.

(emo) (Pawniard) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Brick Break
- Iron Head
- Pursuit

Scarf Pawniard prevents opposing Gastly and Gothita (which would otherwise be troublesome) from being major factors. It also traps Life Orb Abra, which Porygon struggles to sponge hits from if Stealth Rock is up. Iron Head and Knock Off are self-explanatory, and the former move benefits from the paralysis support the rest of the team can provide. Brick Break can ambush unsuspecting Pawniard 1-1 if your opponent doesn't know that you carry a Choice Scarf up to that point. This is a pretty self-explanatory set, but this team really benefits from the speed and trapping Pawniard provides.

(wave( (Archen) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 100 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Stealth Rock

Archen was added at this point because we needed a more resiliant flying resist than Scarf Pawniard, as well as something that could set Stealth Rock. Its best to agressively switch Archen into neutral hits (that aren't knock off), as this powers up its Acrobatics and can save a teammate some health. Archen is also very effective against more offensive teams once they have been sufficiently paralyzed. Earthquake is useful for dealing with Pawniard that like to get cheeky, as well as Pokemon such as Stunky and Ponyta that can trouble Gastly. Archen also serves as an additional Fire-type check, as Slowpoke does not deal with Pokemon like Vulpix very well. The extra defense point guarantees that standard Ponyta cannot OHKO Archen with Wild Charge. U-turn, is useful in gaining momentum, and can be used to easily get Gastly in the match, and break down the opposing team. Rock Slide could be used over U-turn in order to more efficiently check Fletchling and Vullaby, but Acrobatics is usually putting more than enough pressure on both of them, especially with Stealth Rock up.

(sun) (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Def / 76 SpA / 236 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Tri Attack
- Recover
- Psychic

Porygon helps deal with Bellsprout and other Pokemon found on annoying Sun offenses, and also provides the team with a Volt Switch absorber (as Chinchou + a hazard would be annoying to deal with otherwise). Thunder Wave is obligatory in keeping up with the theme of the team, and is also the best move in the game. Tri Attack offers Porygon both a strong STAB move and yet another way to potentially hax the opponent, and Psychic is used over Ice Beam mostly to hit Gastly, Foongus, and Fighting-types. Porygon is just a really solid Pokemon in this metagame and alleviates the pressure off its teammates by blanket-checking so much.

You can opt for a Hidden Power on Porygon over Thunder Wave if you so choose. Hidden Power Fire chips Pawniard and severely damages Ferroseed, while Hidden Power Fighting chips Ferroseed and wrecks Pawniard.

Threat List​

Chespin: Can set up Spikes while walling Gastly completely. Archen and Porygon help pressure it but Chespin is still a tough Pokemon to face. Spike Stacking in general can be annoying as we lack a way to remove hazards, but Chespin is the hardest to deal with due to its reliable recovery and can set up for free on a large portion of the team.

Ponyta: Archen and Slowpoke are generally capable of dealing with Ponyta, and it certainly doesn't want to switch into a Stun Spore or T Wave from Cottonee or Porygon respectively. It has a free switch into Pawniard (and can potentially burn it just by switching it in making it useless) and eats both of Cottonee's STAB moves.

Pawniard: Can threaten most of this team if played well, or do absolutely nothing if they agressively play it into Slowpoke.

Poison Jab Mienfoo: Cottonee switchinging into Mienfoo is extremely obvious, and once it has dealt with Cottonee it can easily knock off Slowpoke and U-turn around. However, Poison Jab Mienfoo often will not be able to OHKO Porygon thus getting T waved, (or get caught with T wave by Slowpoke), and often switches into Knock Off. This allows Gastly to deal with Mienfoo at some point in the match.

Stunky: Not difficult to wear down, but it can remove Gastly with Pursuit and threaten Cottonee with its Poison STAB.

(ghost) (Gastly) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hex
- Hidden Power [Fighting]
- Sludge Bomb
- Substitute

(emo) (Pawniard) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Iron Head
- Brick Break

(clap) (Cottonee) @ Eviolite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 36 HP / 36 Def / 140 SpA / 36 SpD / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stun Spore
- Giga Drain
- Dazzling Gleam
- Encore

(flag:KP) (Slowpoke) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 36 SpA / 116 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Flamethrower

(wave( (Archen) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 76 HP / 100 Atk / 76 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Acrobatics
- Stealth Rock

(sun) (Porygon) @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 156 HP / 36 Def / 76 SpA / 236 SpD
Calm Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Tri Attack
- Recover
- Psychic

Thanks for reading our RMT, we hope you enjoyed it / use it.

-xoxo

Gossip Girl

Also I think Sweep will be posting some replays below shortly.

Last edited:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-lc-83290
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-lc-91649

Cannot find the third replay of me using this team in the LC Open, but here's a reenactment of what basically happened:

Porygon used Thunder Wave! The opposing Pawniard is now paralyzed. The opposing Pawniard used Knock Off! Porygon lost 43% of its health. Porygon fainted.

Sweep sends in Gastly! Gastly uses Substitute. The opposing Pawniard is fully Paralyzed!

The opposing Pawniard is fully Paralyzed! Gastly used Hidden Power! It's super effective...Pawniard lost 100% of its health. Pawniard fainted.

Fiend

someguy
is a Social Media Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Clearly the team has proven to be good through useage in LC Open, which isn't surprising considering your insane speed control and how many free turns are generated from magic. However Magnemite is rather hard for you to switch into, and even harder for you to leave anything in on. Your team also cannot paralyze it, and what enjoys staying in cannot hit it back for much. You can pursuit trap it with Pawniard and predict around it and switch into Porygon when Spikes are not up, but this isn't quite enough unless you're running HP Fire. With 2 other status spreaders, and Porygon not necessarily luring in anything that they are not, you absolutely should run HP Fire.

236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe with a Jolly nature on Pawniard makes use of some spare EVs leftover from your current spread and gives better rolls against Fletchling and the like, which is nice. Cottonee's spread is also weird; I can't find any cases were 12 SpA versus 13 SpA is important (Cottonee versus Knocked Off Porygon isn't exactly a common scenario) so a spread of 36 HP / 36 Def / 140 SpA / 36 SpD / 228 Spe with a Timid nature on Cottonee appears to function with the same effectiveness with slightly increased bulk (6.3% chance to live Poison Jab from Foo without hazards now!).

Not too much to really say on the team besides any amount of luck in tandem with playing well beats roughly 98% of the meta or something obscene. Cheers!

Have you tried Hex>Shadow Ball on Gastly? Since one of the big things the team does is paralyze most of the opponent's team (and Sludge Bomb is the move you'll probably be spamming most of the time anyways), it might make sense to run it (iirc it still gets almost all of the same KOes unboosted too)

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for the advice Fiend and Tahu, I edited the OP to reflect Fiend's spreads, as the Cottonee spread is pretty neat (and I blame Sweep for the innefficient Pawniard spread -_-). HP fire on Porygon is definitely a good option, but I really wouldn't be comfortable replacing T wave with HP fire on Porygon, as it comes in clutch so often. It is especially useful against Abra, but it also helped me win G3 R3 because I t waved my opponents Archen, which allowed me to Recover stall its Stone Edge in spite of the fact it was doing 60%. Hidden Power Fire definitely usable over psychic if you aren't to worried about Timburr and Mienfoo, as Psychic does really help against them. Hex seems dope, and I might still be in LC open if I ran that over Shadow Ball, as my loss in open came from playing a Chespin which cannot win against Hex if Knocked Off or para'd. Also you are correct that Sludge Bomb is used a lot more so there is no loss really by switching Shadow Ball to Hex. Thanks again guys !_!

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
what up, a pretty sick RMT imo : ) congratulations on your Open wins, although I think its kinda ironic that Sweep of all people would use a team centered around generating free turns xP

From what it looks like, you can get p bopped by Diglett + Beat Up, in that you can often lose your Pawniard+Gastly if you misplay, forcing you to scout out if your opponent has Beat Up or not. Simply switching Tri Attack out for Ice Beam on Porygon solves this issue, since I don't really think that you need Tri Attack. Its a 10% chance for each status, which isn't really too much, and more often than not simply spamming TWave I think would be more beneficial. Your team can also have trouble dealing with something like Snivy, which I have personally been running Scarf Variants on and it seems like it may catch on. A good Scarf Snivy simply runs through you if it manages to not switch in on a Thunder Wave, since it would 2HKO BOTH of your normal switchins, (you would want to be careful of HP Flying against Cottonee). Porygon helps to alleviate this problem since it can simply OHKO Snivy with Ice Beam rather than wait a couple turns for it to wreak dirty vengeance on you before you revenge kill it with something as it is paralysed. Ice Beam also beats Chespin, which is pretty cool :)

There's not really much that could be said about this team, Ice Beam is probably the only suggestion I would put forth and even then it can get subjective. Its really nice to see such a team under the LC tag, and I hope that you guys continue to expand in the LC tier : )

!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)