• Cannot survive many attacks, even with eviolite
• As a result, cannot directly switch into any attack
• Stealth Rocks severely limit switch in opportunities
• Cannot pass speed boosts and other stat boosting moves like Ninjask
• Speed Boost lets in outspeed all pokes, even scarfed, after 2 boosts
• Coverage lets it handle strongest pokes in tier
• Can recover damage from stealth rocks and life orb with Giga drain or Roost
• Has competetion with Cobusken, whick hits harder
• Though other special attackers hit harder, unique in ability to sweep late game

[SET]

name: Life Orb
move 1: Protect
move 2: Bug Buzz
move 3: Air Slash
move 4: Giga Drain
item: Life Orb
ability: Speed Boost
nature: Modest
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

• Aims to come in on weakened pokes to gain speed boosts
• Take out pokes such as Carracosta, Sawk, Primeape, Jynx, Scolipede, Ludicolo and Serperior with stealth rock support
• Protect is important to gain speed, and if opponent switches to scarfed poke, can double protect to guarantee Yanma will move first
• Bug Buzz is strongest SATB move that has fair coverage, and matches well with Air slash
• Air Slash provides a reliable move against the more common fighting types, and with increased speed, gives opportunity for flinches
• Giga Drain to heal some damage and preserve longevity, most notably 2HKO’s SpD Seismetoad and Alomomola

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

• Rapid Spin support is almost a must for yanma to succeed.
• Wartortle is best rapid spinner, as it shrugs off fire and ice attacks, and can reliably spin against spinners thanks to foresight.
• Alomomola is a great partner for Yanma, as it can not only wish pass to yanma, but also handle the sturdy rock pokemon and flying types that Yanma cannot OHKO
• With one layer of spikes, can kill gardevoir, zangoose and has a good chance to kill gurdurr. Garbodor is a good partner with yanma, as with spikes, rocky helmet and aftermath, can hurt a physical poke enough that yanma can revenge kill and accumulate speed boosts
• Modest nature to maximize damage output, and the only time where Yanma does not guarantee 2 speed boosts is switching onto a fast scarfer and chancing a double protect
• Timid nature would only cause speed ties, and severly lowers attacking prowess
• Even with choosing modest, special walls are going to handle Yanma well. Sawk and Golurk are great partners for yanma as they are both great physical attackers, while sawk can defeat sturdy using stealth rock pokes, while Golurk can spin block
• Life orb for most damage output, though expert belt could work, HP restoration is not much of a concern for such a frail poke
• Appreciates Stealth rock support, so Piloswine and Golem can set up rocks, deal with steel, electric and flying types, and provide chip damage with priority to give yanma a chance to revenge kill and obtain speed boosts
• Speed Boost gives Yanma the uniqueness of outspeeding the biggest threats in the tier.
• With team support, can eliminate biggest threats in tier, and can be a great asset to any team

[Other Options]

• Hidden Power Ground can be used over Giga Drain to hit steel types and skuntank, though they are very uncommon, and air slash works well against skuntank
• Roost can neutralize stealth rock damage, but does not usually have the opportunity to use it
• Substitute can be used over protect or giga drain to give you free attacks, however, life orb and stealth rocks will leave you with not many opportunities to attack, while any other item will not give impressive damage output
• U-turn can be added on any set for scouting purposes, though this is not advisable with the stealth rock weakness
• Shadow ball hits ghost types supereffectively, but does not do anything else
• Ancientpower provides a stronger attack against flying and fire types, and the 10% stat raise is a great bonus, though ancientpower is too weak of a move
• An eviolite set is not advisable as it will not take any attacks.
• A compundeyes set with hypnosis, air slash, bug buzz and a filler move (giga drain, roost, HP Ground) could work, but this only provides a 3% more accurate sleep move and the same speed as jynx, while butterfree can set up quiver dances after sleep
• A tailwind suicide set would provide team support for pokes with more threatening special or physical attack to do damage

[Checks and Counters]

• Stealth rocks severely limit switching and set up opportunities
• Anything that can take a hit
• Pokes with priority minus mach punch
• Non hidden power ground yanma cannot touch steel types such as Bastiodon, Probopass and Lairon
• Cannot touch defensive flying types such as Altaria and rotom, though it can break Sub bulk up breviary substitutes
• Prankster pokes can easily paralyze Yanma, rendering it useless
• Status generally hurts Yanma, though most pokes rather go for the kill thank worry about paralysis
• Special defensive walls, such as audino, lickilicky and regice have no worries about yanma and can wish or rest stall it out
• Skuntank can pursuit trap yanma, though the specially bulky set is 2HKO after rocks with bug buzz

[Unreleased]

Though frisk is a great scouting ability, its two other abilities are much more useful.

Governess

A Beautiful Blossom Waiting to Bloom
is a Researcher Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just some nitpicky things:

"• EV spread is to maximize special attack and speed, as heavy defensive investment is needed to survive neutral hits" You don't need to talk about 252 / 252 EV spreads unless they have a specific purpose, like outspeeding a certain Pokemon.

You need to expand alot more on your partners for AC; you have a total of 3. What other Pokemon has good synergy with Yanma? For instance, maybe mention a Pokemon that can defeat Rock-types, Yanma's enemy. Since Yanma is so frail, maybe talk about a Wish passer (Alomomola) or a cleric if it gets paralyzed.

For a first analysis, this is pretty good: Just have to remember the small details, and use the resources Smogon gave you, and you'll be fine :)

Hi :)
  • I may add Golurk as a teammate because it resists Rock type moves and can handle Rotom-S well.
  • I would get rid of the Compoundeyes mention in OO, it really doesn't add more to Yanma's viability (which is still quite slim) aside from Hypnosis (and its accuracy still sucks).

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Made some changes, though I disagree with using hidden power ground over giga drain, as steel types and poison types besides skuntank and garbodor are not as common to justify that over regaining hp with giga drain. It was a little helpful, so if others agree that I should place it, then I will

I agree with HP Ground > Giga Drain, as you said yourself in the analysis:

Shuckleking87 said:
HP restoration is not much of a concern for such a frail poke
and

Shuckleking87 said:
An eviolite set is not advisable as it will not take any attacks.
Also, give a mention to Focus Sash in OO, because it can let Yanma take a hit at full health and retaliate back.

Shuckleking87

Dat Blast, you did not give any reason as to why to use HP ground over giga drain, unless you have experience using yanma. Giga drain allows me to 2HKO alomomola and take heavy damage to Golurk (cannot look up calcs atm), the number 1 and 3 pokes in tier, while recvoering hp that life orb drains as an added bonus. I feel like being able to hit those 2 pokes is way more important than hitting skuntank and steel types. You gave no reason as to use HP ground, so if you give me a reason why, that would be appreciated. Also, don't know if focus sash is really work it with all of the stealth rockers and few reliable rapid spinners; I would like other opinions before mentioning it.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
sorry but

QC Reject 1/3

outspeeding stuff doesn't matter when you have the defenses of a wet paper bag, 4x SR weak, and you hit like weakling_zeb.

actually, I take that back, that's pretty insulting

to the paper bag.

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I agree with tennis here. Yanma has the ability to outspeed a large portion of the metagame, especially with Speed Boost, but it's really weak and its moves don't have a high base power either. A 4x Stealth Rock weakness alongside pitiful defenses that make it weak to priority. Sucker Punch from Kanga and Skuntank, Aqua Jet from Carracosta and Samurott, or even Quick Attack from Zangoose will all OHKO it after Stealth Rock. If Yanma decides to switch out, it just takes more Stealth Rock damage and kills itself faster.

QC Reject 2/3

Shuckleking87

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu-30327245

Yeah I understand the problems with Yanma, sure, but with team support, it is a unique poke that is quite difficult to take down when those counters are out. Priority is a nuisance for alot more pokes, as the tier is alot more frail, though priority plus s.r damage isnt a great combo. I know the last battle isnt a fair portrayal of the potential damage that yanma can do, but I think it deserves at least more than an empty BW page. Also, Sawk is a great partner that can OHKO those that usually carry priority and can prevent S.R somewhat.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sorry, I just really don't see any reason to use Yanma over another special attacker. Its only niche is Speed Boost, which doesn't mean much when you're so weak. The only set I've ever played against that fucked with me was Endure Petaya Berry, but even that was sooo gimmicky that I would never actually recommend using it.

QC Reject 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)