Resource XY NU Viability Ranking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Rhydon for A
With players abusing Combusken left and right in both tournaments and the ladder, Rhydon stands as its best counter.
Just putting it out there, but special Combusken can bowl over Rhydon with Focus Blast. If anything the best counters to Combusken are Fire + Fighting resistant Haze Pokemon, like Qwilfish, Dragalge, Mantine, and Lampent.

Punchshroom

I meant the Combusken-pass strategy over Combusken as a pokemon itself, as the special set does screw Rhydon over. But frankly, it doesn't have to run sub-optimal sets in order to successfully counter the support set, as all these pokemon have many other moves they would prefer to run over Haze. Also, Combusken can't beat Qwilfish, Mantine, or Lampent, but they are set up fodder and it can simply pass to something else, so while they counter Combusken the pokemon, they don't counter Combusken the strategy. Dual Chop Combusken ftw
By that extension Rhydon does not stop the strategy any better than the Haze Pokemon; Rhydon has to predict whether Combusken will pass to Xatu or a bulkier teammate like Feraligatr. The Haze Pokemon at least can ruin the Combusken player's momentum by removing their boosts so that their recipients are not immediately dangerous. The fact that they have access to Haze and can hit Combusken for decent damage means they are not setup fodder for Combusken at all.

chimpact

fire nation
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Maybe we should take a page out of the UU forum's book and discuss a select few pokemon every few days and rate them instead of just having cluttered discussions. Raseri

also if people are going to use mons like dragalge, rhydon, etc to switch in on the chicken. combusken can start running offensive life orb sets. SD 3 attacks, sd bp 2 attack, mixed attacker with hp grass to bait in seismitoed/rhydon, special attacker etc.

Just putting it out there, but special Combusken can bowl over Rhydon with Focus Blast. If anything the best counters to Combusken are Fire + Fighting resistant Haze Pokemon, like Qwilfish, Dragalge, Mantine, and Lampent.
I have yet to see a special combusken, and if you were to run a special variant that would mean you lost to other things. Combusken has 4 moves, and rhydon can beat combusken given its most common 4 moves, which makes it a counter (or at least a check). Given combusken's prominence and Rhydon's ability to stop it, along with its general usefulness against the rest of the tier, I completely support it being moved up.

Punchshroom

I have yet to see a special combusken, and if you were to run a special variant that would mean you lost to other things. Combusken has 4 moves, and rhydon can beat combusken given its most common 4 moves, which makes it a counter (or at least a check). Given combusken's prominence and Rhydon's ability to stop it, along with its general usefulness against the rest of the tier, I completely support it being moved up.
Special Combusken will likely be prominent in a more offensive meta, and you can easily say that Swords Dance Combusken can lose to things Bulk Up Combusken does not, but that does not make it any less potent or effective at its job (P.S. Swords Dance Combusken can do some serious damage to Rhydon as well). Rhydon is good yes, but it is susceptible to most special attacks in the tier and has no recovery, which likely does not push it higher than A- atm.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
AIGHT HELLO FRIENDS

i will get around to taking in the arguments presented since my last update, but we're gonna take a big swing in things and shake up our current rankings. we are being toooooooooooooooooooo picky about what's going into the top, because right now everything that's good seems to be sitting in the bottom. let's start:

what should be S-rank (especially now that shiftry is gone), and why?

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
inb4 people jump down my throat
I'm going to nominate Combusken--->S
Mind you, not for its incredible sweeping potential. Simply because of the phrase "Pokemon who can support other Pokemon with very little opportunity cost." This makes me think of Combusken, as I have found that it's easy to switch in, and easy to switch out. Imagine any other Baton Pass support Pokemon, let's say Shell Smash Gorebyss. Once it has Shall Smash'd, it's finished. It goes around once and then it's done. Combusken, on the other hand, can come in and out easily. It can complete multiple passes and does its job extremely well, despite some of the largest and most dangerous threats in the tier. And yeah. That's all I've got.

AIGHT HELLO FRIENDS

i will get around to taking in the arguments presented since my last update, but we're gonna take a big swing in things and shake up our current rankings. we are being toooooooooooooooooooo picky about what's going into the top, because right now everything that's good seems to be sitting in the bottom. let's start:

Shiftry's gone? When did that happen? :x

Either way, the best candidates for S rank are Spiritomb and Slurpuff imo. Tomb because it does so many things, it has powerful STAB priority, spinblocks, checks physical attackers with W-o-W, has only one uncommon weakness and 3 key immunities, has Taunt, Pursuit if you like, or it can go the CroTomb route and 6-0 stall teams. Slurpuff is a giveaway, incredibly dangerous and versatile, you never know which set it will run (Belly Drum or CM) and they have completely different counters. And Unburden makes it faster than most pokes in the tier too. Both for S imo.

AIGHT HELLO FRIENDS

Nothing really justifies itself as S Rank with Shiftry gone, as the NU metagame seems to be relatively balanced. I feel that Feraligatr does become a tad stronger, as one of HO's good checks to it is gone, but I don't think its S.

The closest things to S are probably Combusken, Slurpuff, Spiritomb, and Wurmple.
Combusken - Combusken as the metagame has proved again and again is a truly easy pokemon used with little opportunity cost, and simply has utility beyond any pokemon in the metagame.
Slurpuff - Given just a tad bit of support, Slurpuff easily sweeps any team, resisting common priority and simply blitzing through even resistances.
Spiritomb - Something I've wanted in S rank for a while, I feel that Spiritomb fills tons of roles. It is a versatile threat, being able to go completely offensive and defensive, being able to pressure HO greatly with its insanely powerful Sucker Punches while putting many teams into a crippled state with its scary CroTomb set.

WURMPLE WILL KILL ALL>
FUCK I GOT JUMPED BY 2 NINJAS NOOBS FUCK.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Shiftry's gone? When did that happen? :x
it moved up to RU in usage this month.

additionally, in regards to "i don't think anything is good enough to be S-Rank", i believe there is a debate to be had (and we probably should have). i am currently firmly of the opinion that we should and do have top dogs in our tier - i believe we have Pokemon that are distinctly and consistently the best Pokemon to choose for your team, given the option, and that those Pokemon should comprise our S-Rank. i don't know if we should have to adjust our S-Rank description to fit the qualifications our "best" Pokemon have, or if we're simply being too picky when discussing them, but Pokemon like Feraligatr and Spiritomb IMO are very clearly "top dogs" and literally some of the very best options you can pick for your team. they're on the verge of not requiring much support if any at all and have minimal opportunity cost by putting them on your team, and are almost unanimously the best Pokemon we have.

why should our top dogs be sitting anywhere but S? some bulky grasses like Vileplume (mind you, they were made popular in huge part by Feraligatr) supposedly keep Feraligatr outside of S-Rank range, but he even has the ability to push through them with variants on sets. there are some obstacles that need to be cleared, but if you're looking for the most consistent cleaner in XY NU your very first thought is probably or should be SD Feraligatr. why is it only A+ if it's so consistently good, even taking into account the fact it has a number of plausible answers?

idk, but having Pokemon who can deal with our S-Rank threats sounds like it'd be a pretty okay metagame to me. they shouldn't be unbeatable...

(nothing at brawlfest's post in particular, this is a point i'd have liked to make before too)

Pokedots

How should I live to be happy
is a Contributor Alumnus
Fucking everything for S
But seriously, Feraligatr for S

Really, it is a competition between Slurpuff and Feraligatr for the best sweeper in the tier, but Feraligatr takes the cake because of its consistency, as it can find set up opportunities more often than Slurpuff. Essentially, it is a lower risk than Slurpuff, but with an admittedly lesser reward.
Spiritomb for S
Its ability to destroy both offensive and defensive teams depending on its set is undeniably amazing, and is a great glue and very easy to fit on most teams (requiring next to no support).
I would nominate Combusken for S-rank, but I would rather burn it with fire and bury the ashes deep under the earth, never to see the light of NU again.
Sceptile for A-
Sceptile's LO set is a very solid sweeper thanks to one of the highest unboosted speed stats in the tier, and its Choice Specs set is incredibly powerful, with little switching in on its powerful Leaf Storms and what does fearing its coverage moves in Focus Blast and Hidden Power Ice.

EDIT: Oh, and as a side note, did anything drop to NU with Shiftry rising?

Last edited:
I really don't like the idea of Spiritomb in S-rank. Particularly because it is bait for 2 of the other S-rank candidates (Combusken and Slurpuff). Beyond that, it just doesn't have a consistent move choice and requires a lot of prediction for the user in order to get the most out of it. If it had a more reliable STAB move (for the physical set), I could see it going up, but it doesn't :(. Also bait for Guts Fighting types, any special attackers with decent bulk, etc.

Crotomb is really different, but has its own problems. Resttalk still sucks, so any physical attacker that can do decent damage beats it. Stil bait for Fighting types (especialy ones that can set up like Gurdurr) And is taunt bait.

I still think Spiritomb is a really good Pokemon in NU, but it really doesn't strike me as S-rank material at all.

Right now I support Feraligatr, Slurpuff, and Combusken for S-rank. :D

I really don't like the fact that Feraligatr is THAT MUCH in front of Samurott in the ranking systems. Samurott really outclasses Feraligatr in its ability to
a) be a mixed attacker (base SpA stats between the two mons are crazy)
b) have megahorn to counter Mons such as vileplume.
c) more HP

These two are HUGE.
But on the other hand, Feraligatr outclasses Samurott by
a) having higher defenses, and Special defense
b) higher speed
c) Being able to Dragon Dance.

The two mons have many things that are similar, such as SD, both mons can SD. I really don't think that Feraligatr outclasses Samurott by THAT much. I think that in the current Metagame Feraligatr is a great mon, but Samurott shouldn't be ignored as well.

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Samurott really outclasses Feraligatr in its ability to
It doesn't have the speed to be an efficient mixed attacker, more likely than not you're going to get rekt by any faster se attacker

252+ Atk Expert Belt Electivire Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Samurott: 427-504 (129 - 152.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Samurott: 369-437 (111.4 - 132%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Leafeon Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Samurott: 326-386 (98.4 - 116.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Samurott: 398-471 (120.2 - 142.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Vileplume Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Samurott: 236-278 (71.2 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Samurott Megahorn vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 125-148 (35.3 - 41.8%) -- 84% chance to 3HKO after Black Sludge recovery

c) more HP
Doesn't really matter since samurott has significantly lower defenses + is pretty slow and already vulnerable in the first place

It doesn't have the speed to be an efficient mixed attacker, more likely than not you're going to get rekt by any faster se attacker

252+ Atk Expert Belt Electivire Wild Charge vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Samurott: 427-504 (129 - 152.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Sceptile Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Samurott: 369-437 (111.4 - 132%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Leafeon Leaf Blade vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Samurott: 326-386 (98.4 - 116.6%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 SpA Life Orb Raichu Thunderbolt vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Samurott: 398-471 (120.2 - 142.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
0 SpA Vileplume Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Samurott: 236-278 (71.2 - 83.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Yeah, sure fast and strong SE attacks are gonna do a lot of damage. That doesn't detract from his ability as a mixed attacker and is frankly besides the point if you're talking about offensive prowess. Some of those calcs are just pointless, yeah of course Evire is gonna KO a Samurott, and a Gatr too (assuming the same spread as you've got there)...

Samurott actually excels in mixed attacking. There are many pokemon that can effectively run mixed sets with moderate speed, as speed doesn't really have any impact on the ability of a mon to go mixed. Speed might have an impact on its overall performance, but doesn't really touch on whether it can mix its attacks or not. Samu can run Megahorn for psychics, things like Mespirit on the switch, Uxie, Grumpig, Musharna, or it can run Superpower, primarily for bulky normal switchins.

Overall you're right that Gatr is better, largely due to its cleaning prowess and greater bulk (although Samurott's slighter bulk doesn't significantly detract from its ability as a mixed attacker). In my opinion this is reflected accurately in the viability rankings, Samu should definitely sit a couple of rungs below Gatr in this meta. OnlyLove At an A- ranking Samu is hardly being ignored

Last edited:

xzern

for sure
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yeah, sure fast and strong SE attacks are gonna do a lot of damage. That doesn't detract from his ability as a mixed attacker and is frankly besides the point if you're talking about offensive prowess. Some of those calcs are just pointless, yeah of course Raichu and Evire are gonna KO a Samurott, and a Gatr too (assuming the same spread as you've got there)...
My point is that there are a variety of pokemon available that easily get rid of samurott. If you want some examples of decent (not amazing but noteworthy) non se damage on samurott, here you go:

252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Samurott: 217-256 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hariyama Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Samurott: 234-276 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Samurott: 204-241 (61.6 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Samurott: 238-282 (71.9 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Samurott: 259-306 (78.2 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

the point here is that for a slow pokemon like samurott, it's pretty weak to a variety of threats.

My point is that there are a variety of pokemon available that easily get rid of samurott. If you want some examples of decent (not amazing but noteworthy) non se damage on samurott, here you go:

252 Atk Archeops Acrobatics (110 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Samurott: 217-256 (65.5 - 77.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Hariyama Close Combat vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Samurott: 234-276 (70.6 - 83.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Vivillon Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Samurott: 204-241 (61.6 - 72.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Silk Scarf Kangaskhan Double-Edge vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Samurott: 238-282 (71.9 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Pyroar Hyper Voice vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Samurott: 259-306 (78.2 - 92.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

the point here is that for a slow pokemon like samurott, it's pretty weak to a variety of threats.
The point was, you're responding to a post about its effectiveness as a mixed attacker with calcs that show big damage on it. I agree with you that it's not better than Gatr and should be ranked below it, but don't dismiss its ability to hit hard both specially and physically because it takes hits ~10% worse than Gatr (holding spread constant). Plus the majority of those calcs don't include mons that sit between Gatr and Samu's speed, nullifying the speed argument if you're gonna use those (not saying that I need any more calcs)

Punchshroom

I really don't like the fact that Feraligatr is THAT MUCH in front of Samurott in the ranking systems. Samurott really outclasses Feraligatr in its ability to
c) more HP
Being a specially based mixed attacker is really Samurott's main niche in the meta atm, it has crazy powerful coverage that hits much of the tier for a lot of damage. However, that is really Samurott's most (arguably only) notable niche over Gatr, since it is overall inferior as a Swords Dancer. Megahorn does not strike the most common Grass-type in the tier, Vileplume, for too much damage, whereas Feraligatr's Ice Punch nails it nicely. Ice Punch also has better coverage on notable NU Water resists, such as Dragalge and Gourgeist, that Megahorn does not, meaning Samurott's coverage is less effective than Gatr's. Finally, the bulk difference is more significant than the HP difference between the two: Feraligatr actually takes hits better than Samurott from both ends.

252 SpA Rotom Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 278-330 (74.3 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 286-337 (76.4 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Rotom Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Samurott: 320-378 (81.2 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Samurott: 327-385 (82.9 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Better coverage, power, bulk, and speed means Gatr very well outclasses Samurott as a physical attacker. Gatr even gets Dragon Dance to rub that fact in.

Last edited:
Honestly I think the main reason to use Samurott over Feraligatr is the fact that it can use a special set to begin with. When you see Gatr you know exactly what it's going to do (I admit it could DD as well, but SD is generally superior). With Samurott this is not the case, as if you bring in Vileplume on the special set you get wrecked by Ice Beam. If you bring in, let's say Freeze Dry Cryogonal on the SD set you're in trouble:

+2 252+ Atk Samurott Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal: 294-346 (104.6 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The two sets have different counters which is what makes Samurott so threatening (it was a beast last gen as we all remember). It also gets access to fun moves like Taunt which lets you neutralize Ferroseed and get out unscathed, or Sub + 3 attacks, hell I've even seen Encore and Dragon Tail work on Samurott. I mean it's true that the SD set is outclassed by Gatr (although not by too much) but the mindgames can really play into your favor. You can say "Oh well but SD Samurott doesn't beat Vileplume or Gourgeist", but the special set nails them all with Ice Beam, meaning that in the end they're not really safe switchins.

I have nothing against pushing Samurott up to A. It's a great mon after all.

Being a specially based mixed attacker is really Samurott's main niche in the meta atm, it has crazy powerful coverage that hits much of the tier for a lot of damage. However, that is really Samurott's most (arguably only) notable niche over Gatr, since it is overall inferior as a Swords Dancer. Megahorn does not strike the most common Grass-type in the tier, Vileplume, for too much damage, whereas Feraligatr's Ice Punch nails it nicely. Ice Punch also has better coverage on notable NU Water resists, such as Dragalge and Gourgeist, that Megahorn does not, meaning Samurott's coverage is less effective than Gatr's. Finally, the bulk difference is more significant than the HP difference between the two: Feraligatr actually takes hits better than Samurott from both ends.

252 SpA Rotom Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Feraligatr: 278-330 (74.3 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Feraligatr: 286-337 (76.4 - 90.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 Atk Choice Band Sawk Close Combat vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Samurott: 327-385 (82.9 - 97.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Rotom Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Samurott: 320-378 (81.2 - 95.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Better coverage, power, bulk, and speed means Gatr very well outclasses Samurott as a physical attacker. Gatr even gets Dragon Dance to rub that fact in.
Honestly I think the main reason to use Samurott over Feraligatr is the fact that it can use a special set to begin with. When you see Gatr you know exactly what it's going to do (I admit it could DD as well, but SD is generally superior). With Samurott this is not the case, as if you bring in Vileplume on the special set you get wrecked by Ice Beam. If you bring in, let's say Freeze Dry Cryogonal on the SD set you're in trouble:

+2 252+ Atk Samurott Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Cryogonal: 294-346 (104.6 - 123.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

The two sets have different counters which is what makes Samurott so threatening (it was a beast last gen as we all remember). It also gets access to fun moves like Taunt which lets you neutralize Ferroseed and get out unscathed, or Sub + 3 attacks, hell I've even seen Encore and Dragon Tail work on Samurott. I mean it's true that the SD set is outclassed by Gatr (although not by too much) but the mindgames can really play into your favor. You can say "Oh well but SD Samurott doesn't beat Vileplume or Gourgeist", but the special set nails them all with Ice Beam, meaning that in the end they're not really safe switchins.

I have nothing against pushing Samurott up to A. It's a great mon after all.
Samurott actually beats Gourgeist thanks to Knock Off and that is another thing that sets it apart from Feraligatr and, as Megahorn is way more powerful than gatr's Return (which is the move it should run 90% of the time) on neutral targets I feel like Samurott is a fair competitor even regarding the SD set.

I'm not sure how Megahorn is 'way more powerful' compared to Return - the difference is only 16 BP, which, while not insignificant, isn't incredibly drastic when you take into account Feraligatr's better physical abilities. Especially since you're almost always using it as a neutral option rather than a SE attack. In fact, Megahorn is arguably a worse attack when trying to predict a switch-in, given the amount of things that could switch into it. The few times where I might consider Megahorn superior to Return would be against say, Tangela.

SD Samurott is almost always inferior compared to Feraligatr. If they're competing for a spot on your team, you pretty much have to take into account Samurott's better mixed abilities for it to earn a practical spot over Gatr.

With the recent fact that Shiftry is now RU, i would say that Mesprit & Uxie should go to A or even A+
I judged that arguing about Mesprit is kinda pointless, people on this thread already showed that this thing was extremely versatile and viable to deserve A/A+

So, i guess i'll argue more about Uxie.
Uxie's bulk is probably the best bulk in the entire NU Roster, 75/130/130 makes it extremely tough to OHKO, which is very helpful for a support.
But the reason Uxie should be A is for its movepool, Uxie's access to Yawn, Thunder Wave, Toxic, Trick, or Memento allows him to easily cripple a lot of pokemons in NU.
Also, his access to support moves such as Reflect, Light Screen, Heal Bell makes Uxie the best support available in NU in my opinion.
With 95 Speed, Uxie will outspeed a large amount of lead in NU, and can go away with U-Turn, or simply act before your opponent, it's always helpful.
Uxie is also able to work as a very nice Weather Support, with access to both Sunny Day and Rain Dance.
It can even be played offensively with a Sub Calm Mind set.
The only thing that prevent Uxie from being S Rank or even RU is his lack of reliable recovery, and his typing that isn't really helpful in Gen 6, with the prevalence of Knock Off.

Quite Quiet

A tomahawk of honesty in the skull of lies
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Sawk to B+

It might be just me but Sawk really has trouble preforming well lately. Without a band it doesn't have enough power to break the walls it's supposed to, it misses out on a bunch of 2hko's that it would otherwise have gotten and it's outclassed as a scarfer thanks to pretty much every other common user being faster than it. If using band it does have it easier breaking walls, but it's checked by pretty much every faster pokemon in the entire meta. Not to mention the reliance on choice items makes it even easier to get a check in on the proper resisted move as well.

It might 2hko the entire metagame except Granbull, but more often than not it kills one thing then get revenge killed. It isn't helped by decent-at-best bulk that really doesn't allow it to switch into anything except walls and even then it has to be careful because even most walls can manage to take a fairly decent chunk out of its health on a switch in unless it's a resisted attack.

As for Spiritomb for S, I don't like it for a couple of reasons. First of all it is complete st up fodder for a bunch of bulky attackers, not notably Gurdurr and Combusken. Secondly most of Spiritomb's checks and counters stays mostly the same regardless of set (defensive Granbull always counters, Scrappy Pangoro checks etc.) and lastly while less important is the fact it can't do everything. It might destroy offensive teams if it runs one set, but then it's not so effective versus defensive and such.

Sawk to B+

It might be just me but Sawk really has trouble preforming well lately. Without a band it doesn't have enough power to break the walls it's supposed to, it misses out on a bunch of 2hko's that it would otherwise have gotten and it's outclassed as a scarfer thanks to pretty much every other common user being faster than it. If using band it does have it easier breaking walls, but it's checked by pretty much every faster pokemon in the entire meta. Not to mention the reliance on choice items makes it even easier to get a check in on the proper resisted move as well.

It might 2hko the entire metagame except Granbull, but more often than not it kills one thing then get revenge killed. It isn't helped by decent-at-best bulk that really doesn't allow it to switch into anything except walls and even then it has to be careful because even most walls can manage to take a fairly decent chunk out of its health on a switch in unless it's a resisted attack.

As for Spiritomb for S, I don't like it for a couple of reasons. First of all it is complete st up fodder for a bunch of bulky attackers, not notably Gurdurr and Combusken. Secondly most of Spiritomb's checks and counters stays mostly the same regardless of set (defensive Granbull always counters, Scrappy Pangoro checks etc.) and lastly while less important is the fact it can't do everything. It might destroy offensive teams if it runs one set, but then it's not so effective versus defensive and such.
I feel that Sawk should be kept at A-. It is the tier's strongest wallbreaker, and with Mold Breaker, still has the powerful niche it did last gen of OHKOing every SR user regardless of Sturdy. While an increase in Speed Tiers and HO didn't help it, and it is rather reliant on Choice Items, which makes it vulnerable to the likes of Granbull and Slurpuff, I feel its sheer power and utility gives it enough leeway to justify a A- ranking.

Also if real run HP Poison > Poison Jab just makes you look more badass

to A:
Reason:
Ever since RU took Shiftry hostage, Feraligatr is going to get incredibly annoying to deal with. Sceptile can help monitor this jaws of death quite easily. And he is also a good setup sweeper in his own right. With a amazing movepool, decent mixed offensive stats, and a speed that Jimmy McMillan can describe correctly (too damn high), this pokemon can check or counter alot things.

to A-
Reason: As you read this, you think why him over typhlosion? My answer is: Have you seen its movepool? This can get better coverage moves than some erupting mouse, a more consistent STAB, and a decent option to run mixed. And it has a amazing ability in vital spirit, so vivilon can be dealt with easier, unlike typhlosion.

to A:
Reasoning: Granbull had a buff to it. With it being fairy type, a rip-apart STAB in play rough, and coverage in earthquake, expect this thing to wreck. It's Ha, rattled, made a psychic type a ideal partner for it, to bait extra speed. You run a choice scarf than can outspeed a plethora of the tier. There is no reason he should be stuck B+.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)