SM OU Would like to know if I need to improve on this team

Got most of this off of smogon, including the descriptions, sorry if thats wrong

The Team

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
Toxapex, Gliscor, and Scizor make a really good balanced core,
Gliscor and Scizor needed a switch in for ice and fire type attacks, and has perfect defense synergy with gliscor
as well as bait in Pokemon that Gliscor can usually beat​

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 152 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Knock Off
Takes care of Pokemon that Scizor usually has trouble with. Defog is used to remove entry hazards from the field and pairs nicely with Gliscor's defensive typing as well as helps Volcarona who needs a defogger. Roost provides Gliscor with a reliable form of recovery, allowing it to stay healthy throughout the match and have more chances to utilize Defog. Knock Off allows Gliscor to hit Pokemon that are immune to Earthquake, such as Celesteela, Mantine, and Landorus-T. It also provides utility by removing opposing items.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost
Swords Dance raises Mega Scizor's Attack by two stages, allowing it to sweep under the right conditions. Bullet Punch packs both priority to threaten Pokemon such as Mega Diancie and Tapu Bulu and impressive power after a Swords Dance boost. U-turn can generate momentum for Mega Scizor's team. Roost rounds off the set, allowing Mega Scizor to heal off passive damage and set up multiple Swords Dances on Pokemon such as defensive Landorus-T and Ferrothorn.
Also helps Gliscor deal with ice type pokemon​

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
Needed a grass type because Gliscor's weakness to water, team needed a spike setter to help Scizor sweep, Leech seed for better recovery, power whip for water types, and Gyro ball for fairy type​

Volcarona @ Buginium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power Ground
Quiver Dance turns Volcarona into a terrifying sweeper, allowing its Fire Blast to OHKO Pokemon such as defensive Landorus-T and Tapu Lele after Stealth Rock. Bug Buzz is Volcarona's secondary STAB move, nailing Choice Scarf Latios on the switch and preventing Tyranitar from walling it. When combined with Buginium Z, it becomes Savage Spin-Out, which can be used to muscle past Pokemon such as Zygarde and Choice Scarf Garchomp on the switch. Hidden Power Ground rounds off the set to let Volcarona break past Heatran, a Pokemon that counters Scizor and many teams prefer not to let switch in freely.

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled
I picked this pokemon over clefable because it can counter Volcarana (if not sub swarm) Seismic Toss is Chansey's sole attacking move, ensuring that it is not entirely passive. It deals a consistent 100 HP of damage, effectively chipping away at most Pokemon, especially those without recovery. Toxic cripples and wears down Pokemon that try to use Chansey as setup fodder or those that can outlast its Seismic Toss. Stealth Rock chips away at all Pokemon without Magic Guard and is a staple for every team. And finally, Soft-Boiled gives Chansey a reliable means of recovery.

Conclusion

It was pretty fun to make my first team, I hope to go up the ladder with this so if there is any suggestions please say them!

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 152 SpD / 112 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Defog
- Earthquake
- Roost
- Toxic

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Roost

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic

Chansey @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Def / 12 SpD
Bold Nature
- Seismic Toss
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

P.S my name is MateeTheGod on showdown, if you see me use this team its me :D

Last edited:
The team doesn't look that bad to be honest, but I believe you shouldn't be using Chansey. For one, you don't have speed control. You could opt for a scarfer which beats volc at +1, like gren. Also, you have no rocks, I'd switch volc to Torn T with Z hurricane as a more consistent hazard remover, switch Gliscor to a stallbreaker set in order to have a better match up Vs. Stall, and make Chansey some form of Speedcontrol.
Edit: You could also change U-turn to Knock off on Scizor.

Last edited:
Would gliscor be considered a stallbreaker if i put taunt on him?
It could be, but it doesn't break mega sabeleye, so most teams opt for SD. Here's the set:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
EVs: 244 HP / 44 Def / 68 SpD / 152 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Earthquake
- Facade

Yeah pretty solid team overall, gliscor and toxapex are a very strong core and then scizor rounding it off as a good check to Zygarde etc. I do think there isn't so much as a need for both ferrothorn and/ or Chansey as your team is already very bulky and lacks the damage to break through things. I will be talking upon Lugia Proto post above because I also agree with some of those changes.

Minor Changes:

I would run Payapa Berry on your toxapex to better handle mega medicham, the occasional psychinium z volc and tapu lele. This can be great for your team as you put these threats on a timer. Usually Toxapex isn't that dependant on Black Sludge recovery imo and you can opt to run an item such as this. An optional change is to run Toxic Spikes over Toxic

I agree with running a stallbreaker set on gliscor to better handle bulkier teams. Replace defog for swords dance and you can opt to run facade over knock off. The option of Facade or Knock Off is up to you, most tend to run Facade for more consistent damage output but Knock Off brings good utility.

Major Changes:

>
Now I think your team would benefit more from running a mega Latias which provides you with a nice answer to a majority of koko sets offensively and provides you with a good bulky sweeper which also loves toxic support from Pex. It appreciates having Gliscor and Toxapex as good status absorbers and It also gives your team a decent amount of speed control. The set I've chosen is a niche set which is going around being a reflect type stored power spread. Which allows you to effectively set up easier if your opponent has an effective stab for your dragon psychic typing. I have opted for 248 EVs in speed and while it does mean you are slower than standard Mega Lati@s sometimes that can be a good thing after a Calm Mind. You live a Draco with ease at a decent amount of HP at +1 (even if draco Latis aren't common anymore) and proceed to roost up when they are at -2. You can then reflect type or continue to boost the remainder of the time.

Of course if you aren't as confident with this set the standard alternative of running thunderbolt over reflect type is an option for more coverage.

>
With the mega change I would go back to running Clefable over Chansey because you need a good Zygarde answer and Clefable is by far one of the best. Use the classic SR wish passer set which your team greatly appreciates. It's also a blanket check to Lopunny and medicham and another status absorber for your Latias. Thunder wave is also an option over Wish to deal with offensive threats so test that out too.

>
Next I agree with replacing Volcarona with a Tornadus Therian because your team now need a good Kartana check and a hazard remover. It also adds speed control to the team. I've opted for the defensive spread to check Kartana better and forms a nice regenerator core with Toxapex. I am running Toxic over U-turn so you can put Pokemon like Zapdos and opposing Mega Latias on a timer which can easily set up on Torn.

Ofc the spread Proto mentioned above being a Flyinium Z set is optional and maybe you can consider running Superpower for Tyranitar which Latias appreciates.

Optional Changes:

You could opt to run Tapu Bulu over Ferrothorn in this instance as a better Lele counter and koko check. This would add more offensive presence to your team and a better check to the Lati twins bar they have Ice Beam. Even if they do I personally like to run Megahorn to deal with both threats. I will give the Ev spread incase you opt for this change tho you do lose your steel typing if you do so, thus maybe an AV Magearna could be a potential option as a better lele check.

You could remove Toxapex all together and run Scarf Keldeo which gives you a good switch into Tyranitar which can be quite a scary mon for Latias. This wouldn't be too much of an issue other than being slightly weaker too Zard Y/X. This adds more speed control and it can revenge kill Zard Y and Volc with Stone Edge. And with a majority of your team being unaffected by Toxic Spikes it isn't a bad option. Again I will also provide the given set etc. for this too. In this case you can keep Ferro for Spikes or run Bulu if Lati@s are an issue as most pack HP Fire.

Importables (Click for Sets)

Conclusion:

I know the first variant of the team still lacks a scarfer but I have sort of oriented to a more balanced playstyle which would normally slap on a defensive scarfer like lando. Either way I think the combination of Latias and Tornadus should be enough in most cases. The keldeo team eases up your tyranitar match-up and ofc bulu and ferro being interchangeable. Do try out the alternatives ive listed above as each has it's different benefits. Either way hope these changes help, good luck building in the future :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)