ORAS OU Wiz and Yuttt's Mega Scizor balanced

Hey everyone it's Wiz here me and my boy Yuttt built this pretty dank Mega Scizor balanced. The team itself was built mainly using usage statistics. We've being doing pretty well with the team getting a few wins against some well known players as well as it smashing ladder when we can be bothered actually playing on it. The team also got me past round 1 of ost with a pretty nice win against Inflikted. So enough of this intro stuff and lets get on to the actual rmt eh.

Hey, Yuttt here. Wiz and I built this solid Mega Scizor balance/semistall a while back (early Jan?), and we've been using it to some success. We've also been seeing a metagame trend more towards this type of team, with hippo and starmie and clefable. That's why we decided to RMT I guess. The reason I enjoy playing with this team is because it has multiple counters/checks to common threats. As an example, if Keldeo somehow KOs Amoonguss, we still have a Starmie, Unaware Clef, and a Talonflame to check it. Its a really solid team overall, and you should check it out!

When Yuttt and I built this team, the team building process wasn't exactly the traditional way of doing it. We started of by realising how much a threat Mega Scizor was in the current metagame and how it just hard countered a lot of the big threats, so we decided to build around that.

From there, we got a list of Pokemon that threatened it, then checked usage statistics to see which were the most relevant ones. We then looked for Pokemon that could wall them and beat a lot of the top threats as well. We decided to add Hippowdon at this point due to it beating Talonflame, Zapdos, Mega Charizard X, Landorus-Therian, most Mega Metagross, Excadrill, and Mega Pinsir, all of which are either a relevant threat in the meta or a threat to our main win con, Mega Scizor.

After we added Hippowdon we were obviously pretty weak to Substitute Calm Mind Keldeo, Nasty Plot Thundurus-Incarnate, Tail Glow Rain Dance Manaphy, Mega Slowbro, and Mega Sableye, so we decided to add an Unaware Calm Mind Clefable.

Next we needed a more reliable Keldeo switch in for choiced sets, a solid Heatran switchin, and if possible a hazard remover. Naturally, we picked the best spinner in the meta, Starmie, as it did both these things and checked a ton of threats.

Next, we had no solid Mega Charizard Y switchin, which is always a bad thing, and we were looking pretty Gengar, Lando I and stall weak, so of course the lord Special Defense Talonflame had to be added.

The last mon pretty much had to be a Grass Type because we were extremely Rotom-W, Azumarill, Rain, and Mega Gyarados weak. We decided to add Amoongus , after messing about with celebi and roserade and a few other pokemon, due to it taking on all these mons and relieving pressure from Clefable as well as providing sleep support.

Other Options for the team include Dragonite over Talonflame, this helps with the Landorus-Incarnate weakness, although it leaves you a little stall weak.For that reason we recomend running Toxic Spikes Roserade > Amoongus if you choose to run Dragonite. Another option is Celebi > Amoongus.This would be a much better fit for the team if you can deal with only having Mega Scizor to check Mega Gyarados.

Scizor (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 44 Def / 176 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Superpower
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance

Scizor, the Pincer Pokemon. Scizor has a body with the hardness of steel. It is not easily fazed by ordinary sorts of attacks. This Pokemon flaps its wings to regulate its body temperature. Scizor also fares admirably against the current metagame. It counters large threats such as Mega Metagross, Mega Gardevoir, and Kyurem-Black, while maintaining offensive pressure. Roost and Bullet Punch were obvious choices for reliable recovery and a priority Same Type Attack Bonus attack. We then added Swords Dance to make it a better win condition, setting up on many Pokemon with its high Defense and Special Defense stats. Superpower was chosen over Knock Off to knock out Heatran and Ferrothorn quickly, as well as better checking Bisharp. 248 Effort Values went into Health Points to reach an odd number, to reduce damage from Stealth Rock and other entry hazards. The Effort Values in Special Defense are to counter Mega Gardevoir by avoiding a two hit knock out from a Modest Natured Focus Blast. The Defense Effort Values let Scizor avoid the two hit knock out from Mega Lopunny's High Jump Kick. Scizor can Bullet Punch holes in the team of the trainer you are battling if they do not carry a solid counter, so bring out Scizor early and often if they are weak to it. Try to catch Pokemon such as Heatran on the switch with a surprise Superpower.

Hippowdon (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Hippowdon, the Heavyweight Pokemon. Its huge mouth is almost seven feet across. It has enough power to completely crush a car. While we did not opt for the offensive set, the defensive set is still a monster in this metagame. It is one of the best answers to Mega Charizard X and Mega Pinsir, while also stopping common Volt Switching Pokemon with its great special bulk. Slack Off and Earthquake were chosen for reliable recovery and a Same Type Attack Bonus move to deal damage with. Stealth Rock was put on Hippowdon as he finds many opportunities to set it up. Stone Edge was chosen to hit Pokemon Earthquake cannot, such as Mega Pinsir, Talonflame, Air Balloon Excadrill, and Thundurus. Sand Force was preferred over Sand Stream because our team does not appreciate the residual damage and Moonlight's recovery being reduced. We ran the maximum physical bulk for the plethora of physical threats in the metagame as the rest of the team assisted with pokemon Hippowdon runs Special Defense for. We did not bother running an odd Health Points number as Hippowdon holds the item Leftovers, healing back an equivalent amount of damage from Stealth Rock and other entry hazards. Play Hippowdon riskily if he is not neccessary to counter certain threats to get Stealth Rock up quickly, but if they have a threat such as Mega Charizard Xand Mega Pinsir, try to keep Hippowdon at full health.

Clefable (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Heal Bell
- Moonlight
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind

Clefable, the Fairy Pokemon. Clefable moves by skipping lightly as if it were flying using its wings. Its bouncy step lets it even walk on water. It is known to take strolls on lakes on quiet, moonlit nights. Clefable has the rare ability Unaware, ignoring stat boosts on the opposing Pokemon. This, along with the superb typing of Fairy, lets it beat many threats in the metagame, such as Belly Drum Azumarill and Tail Glow Manaphy. Moonblast was the mandatory Same Type Attack Bonus attack, and Moonlight was the best recovery Unaware Clefable has. We chose Heal Bell and Calm Mind to let Clefable be a dangerous win condition, as well as letting it heal our team from unpleasant Status conditions. We put the maximum Effort Values in Defense along with a Bold Nature to help Clefable beat Physical threats such as Mega Lopunny and Azumarill. The other Pokemon on our team alleviated the need for the Special Defense some Clefables run. For the same reason as previously stated, we did not bother with odd Health Points. 0 Individual Values were put in Attack to reduce damage from Foul Play. Clefable plays relatively safely, it is possible to sweep if its checks are removed, but that is not especially common. If there is only one remaining threat Clefable needs to counter, you can let Clefable nearly faint to knock out that Pokemon.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 12 SpD / 244 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Rapid Spin

Starmie, the Mysterious Pokemon. Its central core glows with the seven colors of the rainbow. Some people value the core as a gem. This Pokemon is a gem for our team. Combining a useful ability with reliable recovery, one of the best moves in Scald, and the rare move Rapid Spin to remove entry hazards while keeping our own, it has lots of defensive and support utility. We chose to run Psyshock over Reflect Type as Substitute Keldeo and Gengar are threats to our team. The Speed Effort Values are to outspeed and speed creep Serperior and the rest were put in Health Points and Special Defense. For the same reason as previously stated, we did not bother with odd Health Points. 0 Individual Values were put in Attack to reduce damage from Foul Play. Starmie hard counters specific pokemon, such as Heatran, so send Starmie out if those ever come in. If the opponent lacks one of those Pokemon, Starmie can be saved to check threats or sacked to get a Rapid Spin off.

Talonflame (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp

Talonflame, the Scorching Pokemon. When attacking prey, it can reach speeds of up to 310 mph. It finishes its prey off with a colossal kick. While we did not have room to add a kicking move, Talonflame can still finish off teams. Gale Wings is an amazing ability, giving priority to its Flying Type moves. Roost was chosen for reliable recovery, a great boon to any Pokemon. Taunt and Will-O-Wisp were used because of their ability to wear down and knock out Pokemon that rely on recovery moves and are unable to knock out Talonflame. Brave Bird was used for Same Type Attack Bonus attack over Acrobatics no item because Leftovers are extremely helpful. 248 Effort Values went into Health Points to reach an odd number in order to enable Talonflame to switch into Stealth Rock twice without fainting. We put 12 Effort Values in Speed to speed creep Kyurem-Black and Substitute Toxic Jirachi. The rest went in Special Defense, to counter Fairy and Fire Type Pokemon, and survive Electric Type attacks while Roosting. Talonflame plays as a win condition versus stall teams, and spread burns to wear down all types of teams. Often, a team will lose its only answer to this Talonflame, and you can bring Talonflame in and apply offensive pressure. Be careful with the fifty-fifties with roost removing the Flying Type. You can play mildly riskily with Taunt, as Heal Bell Clefable can cure Talonflame if he acquires an unwanted Status.

Dragonite (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 216 HP / 36 Atk / 228 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Roost
- Fire Punch / Substitute
- Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Dragonite, the Dragon Pokemon. An extremely rarely seen marine Pokemon. Its intelligence is said to match that of humans. Dragonite is a more solid counter to Victini, Landorus-Incarnate, and Mega Charizard Y, and also provides another win condition. Roost and Dragon Claw provide reliable recovery and a Same Type Attack Bonus attack. Dragon Dance is a great move to sweep unprepared teams, and Fire Punch hits Steel Types such as Ferrothorn and Scizor. The Effort Values avoid the two hit knock out from Sludge Wave from Landorus-Incarnate after Stealth Rock damage, as well as outspeeding Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny at +2 Speed. If you choose to run Dragonite, we suggest using Toxic Spikes Roserade to help win against stall teams. Dragonite acts as a lethal win condition that offensive teams have a hard time knocking out, as well as a solid counter to more threats.

Amoonguss (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SpD
Calm Nature
- Spore
- Foul Play
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog

Amoonguss, the Mushroom Pokemon. Amoonguss shows off its Poké Ball caps to lure prey, but very few Pokémon are fooled by this. While Amoonguss may be a failure in the real world, its Dream World Ability, Regenerator, lets it counter many Pokemon without breaking a sweat. Spore is an amazing move, having one hundred percent accuracy with a deadly status effect. Giga Drain and Clear Smog are the Same Type Attack Bonus attacks, both having amazing side effects in recovery and removing stat boosts. Foul Play is another move that penalizes boosting the Attack Stat, as it is based of the opposing Pokemon's Attack Stat to deal damage. The Nature and Effort Values allow Amoonguss to take only 50% from a Mega Gyarados Crunch and a Choice Specs Keldeo Icy Wind. For the same reason as previously stated, we did not bother with odd Health Points. Amoonguss acts as a completely reliable switchin to Pokemon such as Rotom-Wash, Keldeo, and Breloom. While Spore is always a safe move to press (as long as you have not activated Sleep Clause), sometimes it is better to deal damage to their sleep fodder and safe Spore for a bigger threat.

Roserade (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 36 SpD / 16 Spe
Calm Nature
- Synthesis / Rest
- Giga Drain
- Toxic Spikes / Spikes
- Aromatherapy / Sleep Powder / Sludge Bomb

Roserade, the Bouquet Pokemon. Its sweet aroma attracts prey. Then it spews poison. The more toxic it is, the sweeter its aroma. Roserade's Toxic Spikes must smell very sweet, as they spread lots of poison damage to many teams. This allows our win conditions to more easily beat their counters. Synthesis and Rest provide recovery with Natural Cure healing status, and Giga Drain is a great Same Type Attack Bonus attack. The last move depends on what the rest of the team runs, and ranges from a Sleep move to a Status Healing move. Roserade plays safely, and sets up Toxic Spikes when given the chance.

Celebi @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 92 Def / 132 SpD / 36 Spe
Calm Nature
- Psychic / Baton Pass
- Recover
- Giga Drain
- Thunder Wave / Heal Bell

Celebi, the Time Travel Pokemon. It has the power to travel across time, but it is said to appear only in peaceful times. Celebi is a great Grass Type Pokemon, with the ability Natural Cure and many utility moves. Recover and Giga Drain are for reliable recovery and a Same Type Attack Bonus attack with recovery. Psychic is another Same Type Attack Bonus attack used to hit Pokemon that resist Giga Drain, such as Breloom and Amoonguss, although Baton Pass can be used to avoid being Pursuit trapped. Thunder Wave is used to spread Paralysis and annoy its common switchins, such as Talonflame and the Mega Charizards. The Effort Values let Celebi outspeed Positive Natured Tyranitar and switch into and beat Keldeo and Azumarill, although Choice Band Azumarill is still a large threat if you use Celebi. Celebi plays rather safely, using Recover when it needs to and using the right move at the right time to apply pressure on the opponent.

Mega Gyarados: Just a really threatning mon in the meta at the moment, it's dealt with by the combo of Mega Scizor and Amoongus and Unaware Clefable forces the mega evo. Although it's not ideal to take massive damage on Mega Scizor or Amoongus, it's also unrealistic to be able to hard counter every mon anymore so we choose to be weak to Mega Gyarados rather than a few more relevant threats.

Landorus-Incarnate: One of the most threatning mons from XY returns again to ruin my day. There really is no sure fire way to beat this mon to be quite honest, even with Dragonite we still lose to HP Ice sets. Specially Defensive Talonflame can switch in and take a hit and play mind games with roost, Starmie checks it, and Mega Scizor can take a hit and SD up in its face. Overall Landorus-Incarnate doesn't mean an instant loss, but it sure does take some good plays to take it out without it smashing through this team.

Mega Charizard Y: This Pokemon is kinda countered but in the event that it somehow weasles its way past Talonflame it just steamrolls through the team.To fix this you could maybe change Hippowdon's Ability to Sand Stream then change Clefable's set completely.

Rain Teams: Very threatening to this team in general since they just hit it extremely hard, playing rain takes some ridiculous playing skills to out play it. Even though Dragonite helps a tad with this problem, it's still going to require some serious plays on your part to dance around threats.

Will add more later
Wiz OST Round 1 game: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/frost-ou-1389406

Shoutout to all the lads and gals 4 being based ou frens and an extra special shoutout to The DragonKnight IAmGingy Leftiez Dread Arceus seventyfive fingerscrossed daftmau5 Omegasization Draeden Toxzn for helping me test numerous times and just being top blokes, if I missed anyone sorry <3

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 44 Def / 176 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Heal Bell
- Moonlight

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 4SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Slack Off
- Stealth Rock

Starmie @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 32 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Scald
- Psyshock

Talonflame @ Leftovers
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 248 HP / 248 SpD / 12 Spe
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Roost

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 116 Def / 144 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play

Last edited:
pikey fuck great job.
I probably wont use this... but IF i did, i'd probably stick to using celebi over amoon..
Just to help momentum etc forward helping against your threat list... as it's kinda a free switch for zard Y etc.
Anyway, great team..

pikey fuck great job.
I probably wont use this... but IF i did, i'd probably stick to using celebi over amoon..
Just to help momentum etc forward helping against your threat list... as it's kinda a free switch for zard Y etc.
Anyway, great team..
Cheers mate, yea I personally prefer the Celebi option too although spore is pretty nice to have Amoon just murders momentum.

Hey there,nice looking team you've got there

M-Scizor is going to be really good now as Fairies have risen in usage due to the absence of M-Metagross.As metaphysical suggested,change the EV spread on Hippowdon as it let's you live 2 HP Ice from M-Manectric and Thundurus-I too I think. I don't really agree with the other suggestions,you could try out Flamethrower on Clef if you want but it's not as rewarding as Heal Bell.One question,does Bisharp give you problems?At +2,it can be pretty hard to deal with.

Good luck,hope I helped

Hey Wiz T7 this is a very nicely made team, and I only have a few minor changes that would make the team function better.

First off, Heal Bell on Clefable would make much more sense if it was a Wish Passer or Supporter, and the fact that your team (Aside from Scizor) really does not care about Status. I would recommend changing it to Fire Blast or Flamethrower (or really any coverage move), just to help it sweep easier. Also Hippowdown already has very strong Physical Bulk, and investing more into Special Defense would allow it to be a much better wall overall. And since you are going with a defensive Talonflame, an option that I like to run is Acrobatics over Brave Bird. While this does take away Leftovers recovery, it lets you revenge and just deal damage without having to worry about recoil. The damage difference is not even that much different, since you are not investing in attack, and it is only a 10 base power difference (Also gives a nice switch in to Knock Off Spam)

Sets

Heal Bell -> Flamethrower

252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD -> 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD

Leftovers -> No Item
Brave Bird -> Acrobatics
Hey there, thanks for the suggestions I got some better Hippo EV's from a friend so I will update that right now. The reasons for this is that Clefable needs heal bell not just for Scizor but for Talon, stall, and just to help Clefable not get worn down by mega bro and Sableye too easily since moonlight has only 8pp. Also in regards to running and item less Talon with acro, I pretty much need leftovers to wear down Heatran easier, switch into Zard Y easily, and its just useful to have in general to make sure I can taunt + wow then roost stall stuff like bulky Starmie.

Also in regards to BlazingRed Read above about Hippo EV's. Also Bisharp hasn't given me any trouble at all with Hippo, Talon, and M Scizor all checking/countering it.

Hey Wiz, solid team :). Although I am a notoriously awful team builder, I think that celebi is a potentially better option than amoonguss on this team, as it still is a great answer to non-hp bug keldeo, rotom, and breloom, although it does not beat mega gyarados. Even with amoonguss, your team is awful weak to m-dos and you might want to find a better way to handle it..but I cant think of anything off the top of my head lol

Small nitpick, but replace Psyshock on Starmie with Reflect Type, which lets it beat many of its counters.

Reflect Type is one of the only reasons to really use Starmie. If not psyshock, replace something else.

Reflect Type is one of the only reasons to really use Starmie. If not psyshock, replace something else.
Thats not true at all starmie is a amazing offensive rapid spinner without reflect type. reflect type dosent make starmie a great mon its amazing speed and decent power with life orb make it a incredible revenge killer. Reflect type is not even the standard starmie and and deffinetly not the only reason to use it it didnt go ou for that one move

I've tested the team, and it works extremely well. One question though, is how do you deal with stall? Talon cant break mega sableye, quagsire beats scizor, and clef gets trapped by gothitelle.

I've tested the team, and it works extremely well. One question though, is how do you deal with stall? Talon cant break mega sableye, quagsire beats scizor, and clef gets trapped by gothitelle.
I suppose stall with goth could be extremely annoying to beat is clef gets trapped but generally I have 2 wallbreakers and scizor does really well against non quag stall. One way to solve the goth problem could be to run knock off on clef. I will try to remedy this situation although it might not be possible or worth it.

Odd, I was not notified by smogon that this was posted. Amazing team, whoever you built it with must have been a genius.

On Hippo's EVs: We went the full physical spread/near max to help against all the physical threats, letting us beat Zard X and Mega Pinsir more often. The SpD is nice, but it doesn't specifically help against anything we can't already beat.

Also I like the descriptions, very creative imo!

Odd, I was not notified by smogon that this was posted. Amazing team, whoever you built it with must have been a genius.

On Hippo's EVs: We went the full physical spread/near max to help against all the physical threats, letting us beat Zard X and Mega Pinsir more often. The SpD is nice, but it doesn't specifically help against anything we can't already beat.

Also I like the descriptions, very creative imo!
Wow you ain't dead haha but ya p much what yuttt said although Manectric is a bit of a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)