Wii U

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Wow I didn't even think of how much of a bitch it will be to have to buy an extra/replacement controller...
I wouldn't worry about it too much. All of the Nintendo stuff is built from the black box they put in airplanes pretty much. It's nearly impossible to destroy a Gamecube by accident, and I'm pretty sure I can still boot up my Super Nintendo, even though it occasionally wipes out data.

I'm really unimpressed. I can't imagine having a lan party with these and a shooter with some sort, which is really all i use consoles for now-a-days

As powerful as a current-gen just isn't good enough for me. I am pretty sure the main reason the Wii suffered so badly with multiplats was its weak specs compared to the PS3 and the 360 =/

i think we have to wait with saying wiiu will have less specs then ps3 and xbox untill we get to know the specs... and i think the controller looks amazing. (but i was a fan of the BIG xbox controllers aswell :D)

Okay, a little fact-clearing-up.

It is a new console.

It will support 1080p graphics.

Nintendo spend more time focusing on the controller because the new system isn't that revolutionary.

New SMASH BROS WOOOO FOR 3DS AND WII U

Wired has a decent article on what the actual console is like, as opposed to just OMG CONTROLLER WITH A SCREEN here.

Uhhh... I'm a little hesitant. I think it's interesting and cool, but it's one of those technologies that I think are interesting and cool but would never get around to using often. Nintendo always has an amazing 1st party line up though :/ I really don't want to buy this. I'll wait for more info and stuff.

Smash Bros 4 is for 3DS also?!

It might be two different SSB games for each console. But man there's all these leaks saying that the game is in the works with a trailer ready and then at E3 they say that production hasn't even started =[

SAKURAIIIII

nvm, 1080p is excellent. With Sony focusing on the VITA for now and Microsoft expecting Kinect to keep the 360 alive for awhile yet, and now with the Wii U being up to standards, there'll actually be good third party for the Wii U, plus Nintendo first party <3

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
People need to stop taking that 1080p number at face value. PS3 and 360 can theoretically do 1080p too. I can count the amount of 3D (as in old 3D, not 3D 3D) games that render at 1080p on either platform with my hands. Most don't even run at 720p. It's nice that Wii can output 1080p graphics but don't expect games to run at 1080p.

I'll be happy with 720p with some anti-aliasing. I hate jaggies =[

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I don't like the idea of sliders, but then again, my perception of sliders is the PSP's and I haven't had the chance to play with the 3DS's.
I have a 3DS. The slider is awesome, to the point where you can consistently pull off moderately difficult combos in Super Street Fighter without thinking about it. If the same quality carries over I'd be pretty happy with it.

I'm just hoping this console isn't too pricey, especially with respect to the controllers. This console is made for local multiplayer, and it would be a shame for the controllers to cost like $60 or more a pop.

Is it me, or does this thing seem too clunky and sophisticated to be swinging around? I feel like it might do TOO much. They're definitely trying to scare off casual players with this.

Steelicks

Come here and Battle me!
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
nintendo let me down with the Wii... im not gonna let them let me down again. looks like a gimmicky pile of crap

I love the hardware, but Nintendo needs to build a more cohesive online multiplayer system and quickly. As always with Nintendo, their success hinges on price. The hallmark of Nintendo systems in the past has always been their low cost to produce. I'm not sure if that's the strategy they're pursuing this time as the controller looks more expensive to produce, but I'm sure that using a resistive touchscreen and some economies of scale will bring the price down, but I can't see it realistically going for less than $70-85.

Based on the IBM-and-AMD-sourced CPU/GPU and the fact that Nintendo didn't mention its comparative prowess, I'm guessing that its capabilities are roughly similar to the X360. I expect it will be $300 bundled with a controller and some type of game.

Overall, I like it, but I'm really beginning to grow concerned that Nintendo genuinely does not know how to create a product that integrates well with other products/services. They just need to keep the first-party games chugging.

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
looks excellent.

if anything, i'll buy this.

the whole controller-with-screen thing seems like it'd be amazing with multiplayer as well as with a whole lot of other stuff (e.g. inventories, mini-maps, keyboards, etc).

I am looking forward to playing games in the style of Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles on this. It's unfortunate that the rig necessary to play that game (a Gamecube, the game, 4 Gameboy Advances, and 4 special link cables really only useful to play that one game) was so expensive and difficult to assemble. Because the gameplay was really excellent and greatly assisted by the use of the GBAs. I can only imagine how much that gameplay could improve if you had multiple developers competing for sales in that same genre.

My fear is that the barrier of entry to making a game that really takes advantage of this will be too high. And, like the Wii, the offbeat interface will almost completely prevent any cross-console ports. We will probably not see Call of Duty on the Wii U, no matter how powerful it is under the hood. Of course, Nintendo may release a Gamecube-style controller specifically to court such business and just generally to make gameplay a bit easier for virtual console games and anything that doesn't use the screen.

icepick

she brings the rain
is a Top Artist Alumnus
It seems like the Wii U only supports one of the new controllers at a time, and even though I realize the technological limitations of current hardware, it still is kind of off putting to me.

It seems like the Wii U only supports one of the new controllers at a time, and even though I realize the technological limitations of current hardware, it still is kind of off putting to me.
If true, this makes a huge difference in my level of excitement. Source for this?

Super

This space for rent
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Its called the Wii U because wee-eoo the name sucks

I don't think anyone can say for sure how the graphics capability compare to the 360 and PS3 based on poorly recorded tech demos. However, I'm reasonably sure that the Wii U's graphical capabilities will destroy the 360/PS3's graphics simply because those 2 systems are using ancient technology. Anyone who thinks the 360 or PS3 have good graphics needs a good hard slap, because you can get really cheap PCs that completely destroy those systems on the low/destitute gaming end in both rendering capabilities and framerate. The WiiU's graphics will be on the low end of what's possible today, hell my graphics card pre-upgrade will probably beat it, but my graphics card pre-upgrade destroyed the 360/PS3.

If the WiiU can't compete graphics wise to current gen consoles that's really embarrasing.

They showed how you would be using it differently that the wiimote, and i'm under the impression that it's usable alongside one.

Also, my newspaper today in its e3 coverage mentioned that nintendo would be doing away with friend codes. Any source for this out there?

I really do hope they get rid of that horrible friend code setup. Being able to play Nintendo games as freely as you could on PSN or Live would constitute a purchase on day one.

Having only one tablet per console seems ludicrous. Any games with local multiplayer will have to choose between ignoring half of the system's capability (by skipping the tablet entirely and just pretending it's Wii HD), or operating within the ridiculously constrained design space of having one player with a totally different experience from everyone else (like the Pac Man game in the Wired article).

Gross.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)