Research What's your least favorite gen 8 pokemon?

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
:ss/perrserker:
Ignoring the fact that Perrserker looks like a coomer meme, I really hate its execution.

I understand why it's here: vikings had a large influence on the British Isles, such as the governing body existing in the Isle of Man, the names of days like Tuesday meaning Thor's Day, all the invasions, etc. However, its design is just...awful.

Perrserker is everything wrong with historical accuracy towards vikings, which portrays them as illiterate, uncultured savages. Contrary to popular belief, they had their own written language, social hierarchy, and politics, among other things typical with that of a developed culture. Hell, why is "berserker" used in its name when it means something along the lines of "bear warrior" in Old Norse? Why not just make an armoured bear Pokemon? The idea of using the Meowth line for this seems to be out to make it some kind of scavenger. The most comical part of this design is the horns, which seem to be akin to the horned helmet design. While it's absolutely taken root in symbolism for vikings, there is no historical evidence that these ever actually existed. This was made up during the romanticised viking revival in the 18th century; if I recall correctly, it originated in Germany.

Pokemon isn't exactly famed for representing what it derives inspiration from, so I'm not shocked that they did something this poorly. Just disappointed, I guess.

Samtendo09

Ability: Light Power
is a Pre-Contributor
I don’t have problems with Gen 8 Pokémon in general, but there are a few that I do not like at all.
  • Skwovet line - This line may be popular for Japan, but I sure do not like them. Pachirisu have much more charm than this line.
  • Cinderace - It felt way too humanoid even in comparison to the other humanoid fully evolved starters, and the designs feels overly complicated overall. I also don’t like that it’s overall just “Fire-type Physical Greninja” on a competitive standpoint, either.
  • Eiscue - Overly gimmicky single-stage Pokémon that GF doesn’t seems to know what it is supposed to accomplish. I also genuinely hate its design, it’s so silly in the wrong way.
  • Stonjourner - A stonehenge-based Pokémon isn’t easy to execute, but Stonjourner somehow fails in several regards design-wise. Its statline also isn’t built well for its Ability either, with its abysmal Special Defense leaving it pray against strong Special Attackers.
  • Zacian - Way too overtuned for its own good, even among Legendary Pokémon. That’s all I gonna say.
  • G-Max Gengar - I‘m often uncaring about Gigantamax except G-Max Lapras, G-Max Butterfree, G-Max Grimmsnarl and G-Max Centiscorch, four of which I liked a lot. G-Max Gengar is just basically Mega Gengar but kaiju-sized, although at least it is easier to deal with since the trapping effect have to hit their target firsthand, and cannot do Trapping + Perish Song shenanigan due to all status moves turning into Max Guard.

I don't have much personal interaction with gen 8, so unsurprisingly my least favorite is going to be something well-known. In this case, it would be Cinderace. As much as I like Protean, cinderace doesn't do it for me. Without access to significant status moves or priority like greninja and kecleon manage, it loses a lot of the aspect of defensively changing type and just end up as 100% uptime STAB. Which I find a disappointment to what protean can do.

Also, as a filthy hazard stacker, court change is just really dumb.

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
I don't have much personal interaction with gen 8, so unsurprisingly my least favorite is going to be something well-known. In this case, it would be Cinderace. As much as I like Protean, cinderace doesn't do it for me. Without access to significant status moves or priority like greninja and kecleon manage, it loses a lot of the aspect of defensively changing type and just end up as 100% uptime STAB. Which I find a disappointment to what protean can do.

Also, as a filthy hazard stacker, court change is just really dumb.
Here’s something about Libero; the name’s origin is based of a defensive position of European Football and American Soccer. The Scorbunny line is anything but defensive with focus on Attack and Speed and are frail, so Libero doesn’t fit all that well in hindsight, either. Unless Ability is meant to refer the versatility of that position, but even then, outside of Court Change, Cinderace isn’t all that versatile either.

Court Change may be dumb but making it one of Cinderace’s signature moves and not giving it to other sport-themed Pokémon is arguably dumber. I would not be surprised if Court Change ends up being more widespread in the next Generation though.

:ss/perrserker:
Ignoring the fact that Perrserker looks like a coomer meme, I really hate its execution.

I understand why it's here: vikings had a large influence on the British Isles, such as the governing body existing in the Isle of Man, the names of days like Tuesday meaning Thor's Day, all the invasions, etc. However, its design is just...awful.

Perrserker is everything wrong with historical accuracy towards vikings, which portrays them as illiterate, uncultured savages. Contrary to popular belief, they had their own written language, social hierarchy, and politics, among other things typical with that of a developed culture. Hell, why is "berserker" used in its name when it means something along the lines of "bear warrior" in Old Norse? Why not just make an armoured bear Pokemon? The idea of using the Meowth line for this seems to be out to make it some kind of scavenger. The most comical part of this design is the horns, which seem to be akin to the horned helmet design. While it's absolutely taken root in symbolism for vikings, there is no historical evidence that these ever actually existed. This was made up during the romanticised viking revival in the 18th century; if I recall correctly, it originated in Germany.

Pokemon isn't exactly famed for representing what it derives inspiration from, so I'm not shocked that they did something this poorly. Just disappointed, I guess.
Everything else about the inspiration sucks but I can't get over how much it looks like the Coomer meme now

Echoing some of the above posts, I find Cinderace horrifying to be honest. It looks like an actual furry. It looks like a guy impersonating a Pokémon by wearing a rabbit suit just to stalk you along your journey. It's genuinely disturbing.

Not just my least favorite Gen 8 Pokémon but probably my least favorite starter Pokémon ever.

I think if Cinderace didn't have actual pants I'd like it a lot more, but as it stands it doesn't feel like an actual animal...I don't hate it but out of all the Fire starters I can't really think of a reason to pick Cinderace over the other, frankly much cooler (and less weird) options.

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor

Echoing some of the above posts, I find Cinderace horrifying to be honest. It looks like an actual furry. It looks like a guy impersonating a Pokémon by wearing a rabbit suit just to stalk you along your journey. It's genuinely disturbing.

Not just my least favorite Gen 8 Pokémon but probably my least favorite starter Pokémon ever.
I think if Cinderace didn't have actual pants I'd like it a lot more, but as it stands it doesn't feel like an actual animal...I don't hate it but out of all the Fire starters I can't really think of a reason to pick Cinderace over the other, frankly much cooler (and less weird) options.
It does not helps that Cinderace have been pushed forward as a Gen 8 representant in the likes of Unite despite contempt against it. It does fans, that does not changes the fact that it has one of the most intensively mixed receptions of any Pokémon so far.

The anthropomorphism is to be expected since the entire line is based of European Football players, but Cinderace pushed it to an uncanny level. If the fur are more seamless, the “pants” having same color as the rest of body, and tone down the amount of details, then the vitriol against Cinderace wouldn’t be so bad.

I generally don't have an issue with anthropomorphic designs. I like Incineroar, Delphox, Blaziken (maybe) and other humanoid designs like Gardevoir. Cinderace just doesn't pull off the design that well compared to the examples above, and ends up looking more human than even Gardevoir

QuentinQuonce

formerly green_typhlosion

It does not helps that Cinderace have been pushed forward as a Gen 8 representant in the likes of Unite despite contempt against it. It does fans, that does not changes the fact that it has one of the most intensively mixed receptions of any Pokémon so far.

The anthropomorphism is to be expected since the entire line is based of European Football players, but Cinderace pushed it to an uncanny level. If the fur are more seamless, the “pants” having same color as the rest of body, and tone down the amount of details, then the vitriol against Cinderace wouldn’t be so bad.
For me it's none of those, it's the arms. The stubby little nubs that pass for its hands are unsightly and for some reason incredibly unsettling. Inteleon has those weird spatula fingers but these are worse.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Fucking Coalossal man.

Not because it's an inherently bad design, per se, but because it's just such a letdown. You could've been great. You could've been a rock-like mine train like your base form was heading towards. Rolycoly was a piece of coal on a wheel. Carkol is good because it's on theme looking like a mine cart. But then come Coalossal and that theme goes out the door and it's just a generic rock monster like Golem and Gigalith. Just why? Why go for such an interesting theme with Rolycoly and just throw it out the window entirely with Coalossal?

What a disappointment of a Pokemon. A true shame that Rolycoly ended up turning into this.

:ss/chewtle:

I hate this thing, it looks so weird and off putting white it’s giant head and singular tooth. It feels like they were going with cute but it looks so wrong.

:ss/stonjourner:

I know what they were going for but just like Eiscue, it probably never should’ve existed. The only thing I like about it is the little smirk on its face.

When it comes to battle

:ss/zamazenta: I know a lot of people hate Zacian for being incredibly overwhelming, being able to tear through things with just the help of a rusted sword but, if I’m being honest I don’t like this thing even more. It’s incredibly bland when in hero form just being a fast strong fighter with a defense boost. When I’m comes to crowned I just pity it, I got screwed so incredibly hard that even though it’s not its fault, I look down upon it for being so unfun to use and very underwhelming as a result. It’s lacking so many things that could make it more fun to use it’s not even funny and I don’t need to say what it’s lacking the most.

While I don’t have a problem with many Generation 8 Pokémon (being one of the 7 people on the planet who like Cinderace, though I don’t blame those who think it’s jarring to look at) these guys suck hard for me.

Samtendo09

is a Pre-Contributor
I love Zamazenta. It sucks competitively but so do I, we all have our faults :P. It's mostly from a design standpoint. Atleast the Crowned Form has a somewhat ok niche as a Knock Off absorber since Yveltal is everywhere
It’s also a beast in Doubles Ubers, where being able to absorb Knock Off like it’s almost nothing and can resist Dynamaxed enemies better than Zacian while also dealing double damage to them.

Of course, if Behemoth Bash calculates on Zamazenta’s Defense and the shield wolf have access to Body Press, it surely be a lot more threatening especially in Doubles where Intimidate will be its least of problems, unlike Zacian who even it will hates receiving auto -1 Attack constantly.

Plague von Karma

Banned deucer.
:ss/stonjourner:

I know what they were going for but just like Eiscue, it probably never should’ve existed. The only thing I like about it is the little smirk on its face.
Stonjourner in general is just a really odd choice for a Pokemon. I don't know why some drunk developer looked at this and thought it would be a nice reference point;
1630286603815.png

Yeah, like, sure...take a segment of the ancient burial ground Stonehenge and turn it into a Pokemon, one of the most notable British heritage sites thanks to its sheer age. It feels vaguely disrespectful to some degree although I'm not entirely sure if it's "right" to feel that way. I dunno, just feels weird to do this at all. It should have really just been a location that you visit to get resources or something like that.

I think that if they were going to do this, they should have done significantly more. For example, why not make it a Ghost-type? Rock/Ghost has never been done before, and having it be possessed rocks rather than just some...living ones...would be way more impactful. As it stands it's just another mono-Rock type, and not even a very interesting one. Its movepool and even stats are very similar to Regirock and Sudowoodo, so it struggles mightily to distinguish itself; hell, Regirock already fulfills the "living rock" idea down to the typing. The sole interesting thing about it is that it's got base 70 Speed, which is...kind of cool, I guess you can give it a Choice Scarf. Would have really liked that Poltergeist coverage...

This thing is unfinished and shouldn't have been made in the first place.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)